PDA

View Full Version : necromantic perspective of spiritual xxx spells

Camman1984
2018-05-24, 05:36 PM
The spells spiritual guardians and spiritual weapon (I assume someone is holding the weapon there in spirit) could potentially fall under necromancy even though they don't summon anything.

from the perspective of someone like the raven queen would a wall of protective spirits, or an invisible spirit carrying a spiritual Bec De Corbin count as necromancy and be banned

DarkKnightJin
2018-05-24, 05:59 PM
I don't see how they could be considered 'Necromancy' when they aren't pulling energy from the negative planes to field their effects.

Spiritual Weapon is a spell that manifests a portion of divine power to aid the caster. Usually a Cleric.

Spirit Guardians is a stronger manifestation of divine power, but it still doesn't drawnfrom the negative planes. It's still a deity granting access to the spell. Said deity might just happen to be Evil.

This is all assuming no Magical Secrets shenanigans by a Bard, of course.

As for the mechanical side of spells being banned.. Unless you have a VERY compelling reason to ban a spell.. Just don't. Especially not something simple like SW and SG.
Things like the ressurection spells I could get behind wanting to nyx. They are pretty game changing. But outside of those, spells below 6th level are usually fairly 'tame'. It's the 8th and 9th level spells where it all goes lopsided for the most part.

Unoriginal
2018-05-24, 06:03 PM
Necromancy deals with negative energy, not with divine spirits

Also, why would the Raven Queen ban the use of spiritual weapon? She regularly literally grab souls away form their proper afterlives to play with them, she's not going to make a fuss over that spell.

Camman1984
2018-05-25, 01:37 AM
I think my query came from interpreting the word spirit. so I should be thinking of it as a fragment of the divine spirit come to aid me, as opposed to a spirit in the sense of me pulling up someone's ghost to do my bidding.

cheers

DarkKnightJin
2018-05-25, 01:53 AM
I think my query came from interpreting the word spirit. so I should be thinking of it as a fragment of the divine spirit come to aid me, as opposed to a spirit in the sense of me pulling up someone's ghost to do my bidding.

cheers

Exactly.
Or, in the case of SW: It's a weapon that's like a spirit, being sorta see-through and all.
As for SG: They're spirits from something like Valhalla, and are glad you called upon them to help in a fight.

Lombra
2018-05-25, 02:26 AM
That's a cool refluff actually.

DarkKnightJin
2018-05-25, 07:09 AM
That's a cool refluff actually.

Well, it makes sense, right?
Every afterlife has a buncha folks that'd love to help the living beat some gave in.

Vogie
2018-05-25, 11:03 AM
Also, why would the Raven Queen ban the use of spiritual weapon? She regularly literally grab souls away form their proper afterlives to play with them, she's not going to make a fuss over that spell.

Not to mention that the UA Raven Queen Patron that was released included Spiritual Weapon as a bonus spell