PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Stacking Poison

Malapterus
2018-05-24, 11:54 PM
Does poison stack?

Like, say I am a dual-wielding rogue with the same poison on both my daggers, and I land two hits on the same person.

Does only the first dose of poison effect them, or do both doses advance as separate instances?

The real reason I am asking is actually for Ravages from the Book of Exalted Deeds, because I am thinking of a monk with Touch of Golden Ice ( https://dndtools.net/feats/book-of-exalted-deeds--52/touch-of-golden-ice--2939/ ) and I am wondering if every single landed punch from my Flurry of Blows would be a new instance of Golden Ice, or if future instances would have to wait till the first one is resolved.

As another note, from what I read, it does not appear that Ravages have any manner of Save - they're automatic unless you can get some sort of immunity or spell to work against them. Is this right, or am I missing something?

A third note note note. You can't kill someone with Str or Dex damage and you're not really tormenting them if you're not doing Int, Wis, or Cha damage. If you were the DM would you say Touch of Golden Ice violates Vow of Nonviolence & Vow of Peace? In the end you're just temporarily disabling someone with no chance of killing them & that doesn't seem any different than Nonlethal Damage to me.

Covenant12
2018-05-25, 12:06 AM
Ravages, including touch of golden ice allow a save. Its a fairly easy save (DC 14), and difficult to augment, but natural "1"s happen. They stack, a monk could apply dozens of applications of golden ice to a tough target in a few rounds. Every punch applies the initial damage (with save) and worse 10 rounds later.

Vow of nonviolence specifically calls out ability damage, so that won't fly. (unless its against undead or something the vow doesn't apply to) RAI I'd say ability damage hurts a lot more than nonlethal damage, regardless RAW is clear.

Malapterus
2018-05-25, 12:30 AM
Ravages, including touch of golden ice allow a save. Its a fairly easy save (DC 14), and difficult to augment, but natural "1"s happen. They stack, a monk could apply dozens of applications of golden ice to a tough target in a few rounds. Every punch applies the initial damage (with save) and worse 10 rounds later.

Vow of nonviolence specifically calls out ability damage, so that won't fly. (unless its against undead or something the vow doesn't apply to) RAI I'd say ability damage hurts a lot more than nonlethal damage, regardless RAW is clear.

oh, duh. I see the saves on there now.

denthor
2018-05-25, 10:02 AM
As to your 1st question.

2 blades coated in contact poison. Does not matter when they hit but

Round 1
Primary weapon miss

Off hand hits. Damage plus poison save.

Miss save 1d? For one dose. Roll 4 con

Round 2

Primary weapon hit damage plus poison save.

Save miss 1d? Roll 3 con. Con of opponent down 7

Round 3

Both weapons miss..

If poison has a secondary effect. Roll for off hand blow. Save made. No effect.

Round 4. You withdraw no hit roll. You move away at 60 feet

If secondary effect of poison for primary weapon save failed. 1d? Roll a 6 con. Now target is down 13 con and may be dead.

So change the hits and misses around. You get a mixture of result.

I got killed as a 9th level wizard with six one hit die snakes. Bit 7 times in two rounds only made two of seven saves. Con damage 1d6. Average damage 3X5=15. My con 15-15=0 dead wizard

mabriss lethe
2018-05-25, 10:13 AM
In 3.5, you can also stack doses of different poisons on a single weapon. (Iirc, PF, explicitly disallowed it) though I don't think you can double up on the same poison. It's been a while.

Venger
2018-05-25, 11:48 PM
In 3.5, you can also stack doses of different poisons on a single weapon. (Iirc, PF, explicitly disallowed it) though I don't think you can double up on the same poison. It's been a while.

nah, there's no rule against it.