PDA

View Full Version : Getting extra Metabreath feats on a Gnome Dragonfire Adept

TalonOfAnathrax
2018-05-25, 03:10 AM
Is there some kind of 1 or 2-level dip that could grant extra Metabreath Feats, and maybe Hide and Move Silently as class skills?

Here's my current plan:
1: Darkstalker (I have HIPS). Entangling Exhalation. Maximise Breath. Flaw (shaky). Flaw (noncombatant).
3: Clinging Breath.
6: Dragon Breath. (ability to use Half-Dragon breath every 1d4 rounds)
9: Heighten Breath.
12: Flyby Attack.
15: Shape Breath.
18: Extra Invocation.

Any great feats I'm missing out on, or ways to get more feats? I would have loved to take 2 levels of feat rogue to get 2 fighter bonus feats, but I don't think that any fighter bonus feats are very good for me. Am I wrong?

Zaq
2018-05-25, 11:09 AM
Plenty of dips will grant you the class skills you want, but the only easy-to-enter (relatively speaking) classes I can think of offhand that give undifferentiated bonus feats early on are race-locked (I’m thinking of Half-Elf Paragon, Human Paragon, and Chameleon, for reference).

Now that I think about it, Thrall of Demogorgon gives an undifferentiated feat at level 1, but getting in requires either actual spells or Sneak Attack, which you don’t have. It also has feat prereqs; they’re Vile feats, so you can get them for “free” by devoting yourself to an Elder Evil, but I don’t want to assume that such things are on the table. (If you feel like being irredeemably evil and selling your soul for feats, making a Faustian pact using the rules in whichever Fiendish Codex is about devils is much easier.)

Marshal can technically be used to get a free-choice feat, but only if you already have Skill Focus: Diplomacy for some reason, which seems unlikely on this character.

kebusmaximus
2018-05-25, 11:59 AM
Not exactly what you want, but I have a couple ideas. Are you a dragonborn gnome? If not, take the template for the breath weapon. This saves you one feat.

For the skills, buy an umbral collar to give you the dark template, or you can take the template as a level. The continuous item is pretty cheap for what it does, but I might be misremembering the name. It could be the collar of umbral metamorphosis or something.

Goaty14
2018-05-25, 12:13 PM
Not exactly what you want, but I have a couple ideas. Are you a dragonborn gnome? If not, take the template for the breath weapon. This saves you one feat.

This. Dragonborn (of Bahamut) also scales to your ECL and is LA +0, while the half-dragon breath is stapled at a hard 6d8.

ShurikVch
2018-05-25, 03:33 PM
Is there some kind of 1 or 2-level dip that could grant extra Metabreath Feats, and maybe Hide and Move Silently as class skills?

Here's my current plan:
1: Darkstalker (I have HIPS). Entangling Exhalation. Maximise Breath. Flaw (shaky). Flaw (noncombatant).
3: Clinging Breath.
6: Dragon Breath. (ability to use Half-Dragon breath every 1d4 rounds)
9: Heighten Breath.
12: Flyby Attack.
15: Shape Breath.
18: Extra Invocation.

Any great feats I'm missing out on, or ways to get more feats? I would have loved to take 2 levels of feat rogue to get 2 fighter bonus feats, but I don't think that any fighter bonus feats are very good for me. Am I wrong?Note:
To take a metabreath feat, a creature must have a breath weapon whose time between breaths is expressed in rounds. Therefore, a hell hound (which can breathe once every 2d4 rounds) can take metabreath feats, whereas a behir (breath weapon usable 1/minute) cannot.While Dragonborn with Heart draconic aspect "can use her breath weapon once every 1d4 rounds", there is no such restriction for Dragonfire Adept class
It may be fixed with Power Surge feat from Dragon #313 - you will get either +1 DC to your BW, or +1 damage per dice, or +50% duration (in case your BW isn't instantaneous) - at the cost of 1 round cooldown (which will make your DA's BW legit for [metabreath] feats)