PDA

View Full Version : Player Help My Shadar Kai Samurai build.

Javastine
2018-05-25, 06:17 AM
Okay, so been considering a Shadar Kai Samurai, with MTF out and about. Would love some input on my build idea, to see if anyone can improve upon it.

Won't be including any magical items or the such, just basic equipment.

Shadar Kai
+2 Dex, +1 Con
Resistance to Necrotic Damage

Blessing of the Raven Queen (1/day misty step with resistance to all damage until start of next turn)

Point buy for starters
Str 14
Dex 16
Con 14
Int 8
Wis 12
Cha 12

Equipment
Chain Mail
Rapier
Shield
Light Crossbow

Urchin Background
Proficiency with Slight of Hand, Stealth, Thieve's Tools, and Disguise Kit

Skills
Acrobatics
Athletics
Perception
Sleight of Hand
Stealth

Saves
Strength and Con

Taking Dueling as the fighting style at level 1.
Second wind

Level 2 Action Surge

Level 3 take Samurai
Skill
Persuasion

Fighting Spirit: Gain 3/day advantage on all attacks for 1 turn and Temp HP

Level four take Elven Accuracy Feat and increase Dex to 17 and any time roll with advantage on Dex attack rolls can reroll one of the dice.

Level 5 gain extra attack

Level six take Defensive Duelist Featand can add Proficiency to AC as reaction.

Samurai Feature level 7 Elegant Courtier
Add Wis to Persuasion checks as bonus
Gain Proficiency to Wis saves

Level eight take Resilient for Dex to 18
Gain Proficiency in Dex saves

Level 9 Indomitable

Level 10 Samurai Feature Tireless Spirit
If no uses of Fighting Spirit left, gain 1 when roll initiative

Level 11 Extra Attack (2)

Level 12 take Shield Master Feat to gain shove as a bonus (meh) Shield's AC added to dex saves, and no damage instead of half when you save with dex.

Level 13 Indomitable second use

Level 14 ASI Dex to 20

Level 15 Samurai Feature Rapid strike, can forgo advantage on one attack to get one extra attack

Level 16 ASI Wis to 14

Level 17 Action surge (2 uses), Indomitable 3 uses

Level 18 Samurai Feature Strength before death
If reduced to 0 but not killed, immediately take a turn in combat

Level 19 ASI Con to 16 (This is one I am unsure of)

Level 20 Extra attack (3)

So, at level 20
Str 14
Dex 20
Con 16
Int 8
Wis 14
Cha 12

Proficiency in Str, Dex, Con, and Wis saves

Proficiency in Acrobatics, Athletics, Perception, Persuasion (Add Wis as bonus), Sleight of Hand, and stealth.

So, that is what I have so far, any ideas how to help improve upon it?

Sception
2018-05-25, 07:14 AM
I'd take resiliant dex instead of defensive duelist at level 6 (imo, better +1 ac all the time than +3 as a reaction, especially when +1 all the time comes with +1 to hit and +1 damage and +1 initiative and +4 dex saves and +1 to various skills). Then +2 dex at level 8 following the same logic. then shield master & defensive duelist in either order at levels 12 and 14.

Apart from that, I'm not too terribly familiar with samurai specifically, but it looks fine as a dex fighter build. Sadly a bit lacking in shadow magic as a shadar-kai character, but I don't see any way to fit some in comfortably in a way that would actually add mechanically to what you're doing.

I would look for a background that grants proficiency in thieves tools. Being a dexy character with darkvision and training in athletics, acrobatics, stealth and perception, you might want to do the scouting thing sometimes. Being able to unlock doors for yourself counts a lot for that.

Javastine
2018-05-25, 11:10 AM
I'd take resiliant dex instead of defensive duelist at level 6 (imo, better +1 ac all the time than +3 as a reaction, especially when +1 all the time comes with +1 to hit and +1 damage and +1 initiative and +4 dex saves and +1 to various skills). Then +2 dex at level 8 following the same logic. then shield master & defensive duelist in either order at levels 12 and 14.

Apart from that, I'm not too terribly familiar with samurai specifically, but it looks fine as a dex fighter build. Sadly a bit lacking in shadow magic as a shadar-kai character, but I don't see any way to fit some in comfortably in a way that would actually add mechanically to what you're doing.

I would look for a background that grants proficiency in thieves tools. Being a dexy character with darkvision and training in athletics, acrobatics, stealth and perception, you might want to do the scouting thing sometimes. Being able to unlock doors for yourself counts a lot for that.

Urchin does actually give proficiency with thieves tools. Forgot to include that, has been added. Thanks for the feedback!

Sception
2018-05-25, 11:20 AM
Urchin does actually give proficiency with thieves tools. Forgot to include that, has been added. Thanks for the feedback!

Good enough then. Is there anything in particular that attracted you to Shadar-Kai for your Samurai or vice versa? Any narrative thoughts on it? I've been working on a... not so much a guide as a rambling text cascade on the 5e Shadar-Kai as a player race, both in terms of mechanics and narrative, and I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Javastine
2018-05-25, 08:31 PM
Good enough then. Is there anything in particular that attracted you to Shadar-Kai for your Samurai or vice versa? Any narrative thoughts on it? I've been working on a... not so much a guide as a rambling text cascade on the 5e Shadar-Kai as a player race, both in terms of mechanics and narrative, and I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Actually I've got a fairly convoluted backstory idea. As far as the Samurai aspect goes. Figured since I was going a Elf Subtype, why not take advantage of Elven Accuracy. Lol Fighting Spirit coupled with Elven Accuracy and all that. Lol

As far as the backstory, I'm taking a ton of liberties with things. Basically the Immortal Servants thing caught my interest, and got me thinking that, who's to say, the Raven Queen resurrects those who's souls she returns to the shadowfell into the same form as before? So, basically, he's extremely old has not always been ... him, and that causes him to have memories of those various pasts, when he looks into a mirror he doesn't always see his face staring back at him, etc. So, he goes so far as to wear the mask even in the material plane and all that goodness.

Armored Walrus
2018-05-25, 10:16 PM
I like the Resilient DEX at 8. I haven't seen anyone do that yet in combo with the Elven Accuracy feat.

I just launched a level 4 Dex-based Shadar-Kai Samurai in a new game. Going archery instead of duelist. May steal that feat idea though. proficiency in 4 saves by level 8 is pretty nice.