PDA

View Full Version : [Race] Al Bhed

Karma Guard
2007-09-06, 02:30 AM
Second race; hopefully I don't need a lot of scouring on this one. :V Only Al Bhed can be Artificers (and probably half-Al Bhed too.) This is another race from FFX, which leaves me with the Ronso, the Humans, the Hypello, the Half-races, and...probably some other races, I'll have to go check.

EdiTs: Automatic Proficiencies dropped to only one weapon of player's choice. Machina Masher changed from giving full Sneak Attack/Skirmish damage to a reduced amount. Raised reqs. to needing +2d6 of Sneak Attack/Skirmish.
---

Al Bhed
Blurb-thing:Al Bhed are a people that have finally come into their own. Formerly branded dangerous heretics and shunned for their use of ancient technology, they are now heralded as the people who will bring Spira into a new golden age, with the technology cast off centuries ago. As to be expected, the Al Bhed are skilled with technology, and are also skilled seamen and miners, willing to do almost anything to get their hands on 'new' technology.

For pre-FFX Spira, use this instead: The Al Bhed are considered dangerous heretics by Yevon for their use of Machina, forbidden machines and tools. Despite being a friendly and industrious people, the Al Bhed are almost universally disliked. They are skilled seamen and miners, willing to do almost anything to get their hands on 'new' Machina.

Personality: Al Bhed are industrious and curious, seeking always to either make new machinery or renovate the old to help the Al Bhed and Spira. Despite being a hated minority, they mostly maintain an upbeat but practical attitude, never letting themselves get down. They're hard workers and good businessmen, willing to learn Common to work with the other races more easily. They're also very protective of their people, to the extent of hiding away their main city, Home, from all others. They all share a strong familial bond, and tend to stick together, both for safety and comradeship.

Physical Description: Al Bhed are, basically, human. They use human weight/height tables, and they can have any shade of normal human skin coloration. However, all of them have blond hair and green eyes, with an unusual swirled pupil instead of the usual dot. They tend to wear goggles or other eye-coverings in an attempt to hide their eyes, which ironically makes them even more recognizable, in combination with their clothes. Al Bhed tend to wear clothes that are very functional and modular, with many straps and usually covering most of their skin. This is because of their homeland, which is in the desert. Their clothes are often waterproofed as well as sand-proofed, and many wear facial masks as well. Their clothes are brightly colored, and they prefer simple geometric patterns over any other.

Relations: Al Bhed have finally found a place in Spira. Because they are the ones who know best how to use the now sanctioned machina, they have filled the newly-created roles of mechanic, pilot, and engineer in Spiran society. Despite all the things they have done to better Spira, there is still notable discrimination against them by many Yevonites, although many laymen have accepted them.

For pre-FFX Spira, use this instead: To be short, no one likes the Al Bhed. They're barely tolerated by the majority of Spira, and considered heretics by the Yevonite religion. Despite this, the Al Bhed occupy an important niche in Spira, by keeping the markets of religious relics alive, as they are the only ones who dare to dig or dive around the ancient machina of the past. There is also a notable chain of inns and small shops, used by pilgrims on their journeys to the many holy sites of Spira.

Alignment: Like humans, Al Bhed can be any alignment. They have no real strong tendencies towards any alignment.

Al Bhed Lands: The Al Bhed have only one true city of their own, dubbed simply 'Home'. It lies on the desert island of Biknael, where the extreme heat and remote position of the island protect it from prying eyes. However, many Al Bhed live on the Spiran mainland, integrating themselves as best they can into the towns there. Some decide to live on boats, making a living as a diver for ruins.

For post-FFX Spira, add this: In the events leading up to the Eternal Calm, the Al Behd capital of Home was destroyed by Seymour Guado. This has not dampened the spirits of the Al Bhed, and they work on rebuilding Home while adjusting to their sudden acceptance in Spira. Many of them now live in Luca, and just as many avoid Bevelle, as it is the home to the more traditionally-minded Spirans, who still find them untrustworthy.

For pre-FFX Spira, add this instead: No one knows the whereabouts of Home, save the Al Behd themselves, and they plan to keep it this way.

Religion: Al Bhed are notoriously atheistic. They don't believe in Yevon, actively rejecting its beliefs, especially those about the purpose of a Summoner and the ban of Machina. Many of them ascribe to a very minor belief that respect paid to a machine pays itself back, and such is the same to everything else.

Language: The Al Bhed don't speak Common, instead using their own language, which is also called Al Bhed. It is a harsh language, sounding somewhat like German and/or Russian. It uses the same alphabet as Common. All Al Bhed have Common as a second language, and often have accents.

Names: Al Bhed use short names that often have consonant pairs. Female names often end in a vowel, but this is not a hard rule. They do not have family names.
Example Male Names: Eigar, Brappa, Berrik
Example Female Names: Rikku, Yuda, Lakkam

Adventurers: Al Bhed are curious and often go adventuring in the search of a certain ruin or for the chance to see a certain Machina. They are easygoing and friendly, easily making friends with those that make the attempt.

Al Bhed Racial Traits:

Medium-sized Humanoid. (They use the Human height, weight, and aging tables)
+4 Skill points at 1st level and 1 bonus point every level thereafter.
One bonus feat at 1st level.
Al Bhed may not be Druids. Instead, they may take take levels in the Artificer class without penalty. Al Bhed as a whole have no ties to nature as all the other people of Spira do, but make up for it with their prowess in using Machina. (They may also take the Dwarf Rogue and Half-Elf Ranger substitution levels, as the first is oriented around urban locations, where Al Bhed excel, and the second because it can cause extra damage to constructs. Ditto with the 4th/5th level Warforged Artificer levels.)
Al Bhed choose one Machina Weapon to treat as a Martial Weapon. As they are the only(or first) people to use Machina in their day-to-day life, Al Behd are the only ones who are trained in their use.
Al Bhed recieve a -2 penalty to all Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, and Perform checks made to interact with Yevonites. Even in the Eternal Calm, Yevonites distrust the Al Bhed, considering them heretics.
Automatic Language: Al Bhed. Bonus Languages: Any.
Favored Class: Artificer OR Rogue. Pick one.
ECL + 0

---

New Feats:

Machina Masher:
Requirements: Al Bhed, at least +2d6 of Sneak Attack or +2d6 Skirmish.
Benefit: You may deal your bonus sneak attack damage or skirmish damage (choose one), reduced by 1d6, to Machina constructs. You still cannot deal critical hits to them.
Normal: Sneak attack and skirmish do not affect constructs at all.

Natural Ties:
Requirements: Al Bhed 1st level, Wis 13+. (Or suitable DM-governed epiphany.)
Benefit: You are more connected to nature than other Al Bhed, and you gain access to the Druid class.
Normal: Ah Bhed can't take the Druid class.

GimliFett
2007-09-06, 10:30 AM
I'd consider giving the character their choice of one Machina Weapon, not all of them. You're already giving them another free feat, plus the human skill point bonuses, and only Charisma penalties versus a specific people.

For Machina Master, I'd suggest increasing the required sneak attack/skirmish to 2d6 or 3d6, and reducing the sneak attack damage by 1d6 or 2d6. Razing Strike from Complete Adventurer requires only sneak attack and being a 5th level caster, but does additional damage based on spell level sacrificed, as an example of dealing sneak attack damage to constructs.

Otherwise, they're pretty interesting folks.

Kevka Palazzo
2007-09-06, 10:39 AM
Oooh. I love Spira. I'm assuming that your first race was the...Guado? Hmm...can't quite remember them now, just that they had funky-long arms and spiky hair.

Karma Guard
2007-09-06, 08:01 PM
I'd consider giving the character their choice of one Machina Weapon, not all of them. You're already giving them another free feat, plus the human skill point bonuses, and only Charisma penalties versus a specific people.

For Machina Master, I'd suggest increasing the required sneak attack/skirmish to 2d6 or 3d6, and reducing the sneak attack damage by 1d6 or 2d6. Razing Strike from Complete Adventurer requires only sneak attack and being a 5th level caster, but does additional damage based on spell level sacrificed, as an example of dealing sneak attack damage to constructs.

Otherwise, they're pretty interesting folks.

I have no idea what the Machina weapons will be at this point, but that's a good idea; I think I'll change it.

The thing is, either everyone is a Yevonite, or still about 40-50% are Yevonites. All human PCs pre -Calm are Yevonites, full-stop. And post-Calm, there's still a lot of people who still have the lingering racism, or whatever -ism is appropriate. Not that I'm saying you're wrong, but just that the penalty affects almost everything. v(._.)v Don't take this as me attacking what you're saying please :V

And I posted the feat just for the idea, so I'll change it to match the one you showed. It's better.

---

Oooh. I love Spira. I'm assuming that your first race was the...Guado? Hmm...can't quite remember them now, just that they had funky-long arms and spiky hair.

Yes. Seymour was half-Guado.

I'm going to do the Ronso next, and then the-- I just typed all this. I also plan to wrangle the classes (and monsters) into order too, so I can get a Spira D&D setting done. Stormwrack (the water book) may or may not be involved.