PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Looking for some help with wording

quinron
2018-05-25, 08:39 AM
I'm working on a feature for a class, and I can't figure out a way to word it that conveys what I want without it sounding clumsy. The idea is that it shuts down a creature's spellcasting and pseudo-magical abilities (like breath weapons and spell attacks) for one round. The clearest way I found to phrase it is:

"...the creature is unable to cast spells until the end of your next turn, and the only actions it can take are to Dash, Disengage, Dodge, Help, Hide, Search, Use an Object, or make weapon attacks."

I was thinking of possibly wording it as "can't cast spells or take any actions listed in its stat block that aren't weapon attacks," but that seems a bit too gamist; there aren't any class features in the PHB that reference monster stat blocks.

Does anyone know of a way to word this that retains this level of clarity without being so clumsy-sounding?

demonslayerelf
2018-05-25, 10:22 AM
"The creature is unable to cast spells, use abilities which replicate spell effects, or use magical abilities until the end of their next turn."