PDA

View Full Version : Love those physics

Kel_Arath
2007-09-06, 02:55 AM
If you animate a crystal vase and have it jump down 10 feet on purpose it wont break...
hax

Ikkitosen
2007-09-06, 02:57 AM
Why not? DR doesn't apply to falling damage, or are you referring to its HP?

Kel_Arath
2007-09-06, 02:59 AM
It wouldn't take damage, you can jump down 10 feet without damage. (this is a RAW observation)

Bender
2007-09-06, 03:31 AM
It also has normal vision (no blind sense) so it must grow some kind of eyes
It can also move quite fast without legs

This leads to the conclusion that animated objects, of any material must gain some kind of flexibility, which allows them to move. The material properties change somehow. Crystal breaks because it is brittle and the ionic bonds it consists of can't shift. The magic somehow made the crystal flexible enough, so it is a logic conclusion that a magically animated vase wouldn't be so brittle.

EDIT: a normal crystal vase might survive a 10 ft fall anyway if it lands on grass or earth

Ikkitosen
2007-09-06, 03:37 AM
It wouldn't take damage, you can jump down 10 feet without damage. (this is a RAW observation)

With a jump check, yes. Are animated objects good at those?

Jannex
2007-09-06, 03:57 AM
I think he was referring to the idea that falling damage is 1d6 per ten feet after the first ten feet, which I'd also thought was the case, RAW, until I went and looked it up in the SRD. Apparently I was wrong (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#falling)...

kpenguin
2007-09-06, 04:05 AM
That crystal vase still won't break though, even if it takes damage. Even if it fell 20 feet, it couldn't break.

(This assumes that the vase is large enough to be considered small)

Dhavaer
2007-09-06, 04:32 AM
(This assumes that the vase is large enough to be considered small)

That's a pretty big vase, though. 2 feet tall, at least.

Charity
2007-09-06, 04:37 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/239/451286199_2d39f94ce2.jpg

Edit - oh and er IT'S MAGIC.

Curmudgeon
2007-09-06, 07:04 AM
I think he was referring to the idea that falling damage is 1d6 per ten feet after the first ten feet, which I'd also thought was the case, RAW, until I went and looked it up in the SRD. Apparently I was wrong (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#falling)... The difficulty is that this is in the Dungeon Master's Guide and differs from what's in the Player's Handbook, which is supposed to be the primary source for game rules. The SRD mashes all the core material together.

Errata Rule: Primary Sources

When you find a disagreement between two D&D rules sources, unless an official errata file says otherwise, the primary source is correct. One example of a primary/secondary source is text taking precedence over a table entry. An individual spell description takes precedence when the short description in the beginning of the spells chapter disagrees.

Another example of primary vs. secondary sources involves book and topic precedence. The Player’s Handbook, for example, gives all the rules for playing the game, for PC races, and the base class descriptions. If you find something on one of those topics from the Dungeon Master’s Guide or the Monster Manual that disagrees with the Player’s Handbook, you should assume the Player’s Handbook is the primary source. The Dungeon Master’s Guide is the primary source for topics such as magic item descriptions, special material construction rules, and so on. The Monster Manual is the primary source for monster descriptions, templates, and supernatural, extraordinary, and spell-like abilities. So there you have it: an official statement from WotC that you should ignore the DMG on this topic wherever it disagrees with what the PH says in the Jump skill description.

Machete
2007-09-06, 07:55 AM
This discussion reminds me of a certain comic.

http://www.cheshire-grin.net/archive.php?date=2005-03-04

...Itttts Naaaaatural!... sometimes you need to use the rules that make the most sense at the moment.

Vasdenjas
2007-09-06, 01:46 PM
A tiny vase could even survive jumping 20 feet down onto mud, and still be unhurt.

1st 10ft, 1d6 non-lethal damage for jumping
2nd 10ft, 1d6 non-lethal for landing on soft surface

Constructs are immune to non-lethal damage