PDA

View Full Version : Loss of Skill points

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-05-25, 02:54 PM
Was trying to figure something out and wasnt sure if the thing i was using was incorrect or that i misread something in the books.
If I have a Int of 14 level up to say 10. Then suddenly I lose 4 Int for what ever reason. Does the skill points i have from 1-10 suddently lose the +2 i gained previously?

So say level 2-10 i had 6 skill points a level. Do i have to go back and remove 2 from each level/rank althought i just suddently got "derpy" while before i was much smarter?

HighWater
2018-05-25, 03:25 PM
Nope.

Getting an Int increase doesn't retroactively increase your skill points and getting an Int decrease doesn't retroactively decrease them.
They do, however, affect the Int modifier for skills that are based off Int.

Skill points represent acquired skill, becoming stupid doesn't mean you suddenly get less good at a practiced task.

DrMotives
2018-05-25, 03:28 PM
The way HighWater describes it is RAW, and how I play. Makes it easy as you build a character from level 1 on. Some people on this forum like to make it retroactive, which is advantageous for characters created at higher levels who increases their INT. But, I don't like that for exactly the reasons HighWater stated.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-05-25, 06:55 PM
You don't have skill points to lose. You got skill points on level up and spent them on ranks in various skills. Ranks aren't a function of int so they're unaffected.

Ultimately, the answer to your question is "no."

Mehangel
2018-05-25, 07:27 PM
I think it might be relevant to know if the game you are playing is Pathfinder or not, because in Pathfinder skills are explicitly affected retroactively (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/ability-scores/#Intelligence_Int) depending upon your Int modifier.

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-05-26, 01:07 AM
Playing 3.5 dnd.

My charcater is going to end up lost in a jungle via a teleport from a foe and is going to be stuck there for a few years be forced to struggle to live and not die and was going to smack a feral template on em and it dropped his INT. The thing i was useing (hero forge) was flagging all past skills with -2's so was confused.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-05-26, 01:50 AM
Playing 3.5 dnd.

My charcater is going to end up lost in a jungle via a teleport from a foe and is going to be stuck there for a few years be forced to struggle to live and not die and was going to smack a feral template on em and it dropped his INT. The thing i was useing (hero forge) was flagging all past skills with -2's so was confused.

Then hero forge got it wrong. Int based skills should've been reduced appropriately bit the number of points you've already spent doesn't change, although future levels will yield fewer skill points than those that came before.

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-05-26, 02:02 AM
I figured as much but i wanted to double check incase i misread a page or etc. since im dnd learned. but not 100% savue with all the knowledge lol

Khedrac
2018-05-26, 02:31 AM
Heroforge does actually cater for this (to a degree), but it's not obvious how to do it.

What you don't do is put any stat changes directly on to your stats where you initially enter tham - that's your stats "as rolled" - before any modifiers (including racial). The problem is that adding a template does exactly this, so you need to put in offsetting modifiers.
Next to the Stats boxes is an area labelled "Inherent Gains" which caters for permanent stats changes after level 1; this section only has every 4th level showing so you will need to use the [+] and [-] buttons on each section to display the levels in between

Step 1: Add your template.
Step 2: Adjust your characteristics back to their original starting values so you have the correct stats at level 1.
Step 3: Add the template's stat modifiers to the column numbered for the level after you got them - this will set your stats to the modified values from that level onwards.

Note: if you gain the template during level 6 and put the modifiers in for level 6 then they are applied to your gaining of your 6th level - but you should have calculated levelling without the modifiers, hence put them in for level 7 - they still appear on your character sheet now (iirc) but won't affect skills etc. until you level.

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-05-26, 03:56 AM
So for example. if i had 14 str and i had draconic giving me a +2 to str. I should change my str of 14 to a 12 then in the inherit section add a 2 for the template?

Khedrac
2018-05-26, 01:51 PM
So for example. if i had 14 str and i had draconic giving me a +2 to str. I should change my str of 14 to a 12 then in the inherit section add a 2 for the template?

That's what I would do - HF assumes you got the template at character creation and you are just correcting for that.

Heroforge is quite good, but it isn't perfect - always check your builds, I once built a marshal/mythic exemplar and it couldn't handle the ME abilities at all. (Similarly check your spells in spellforge - a lot of the Wu Jen spell checkboxes are mis-linked and will give the wrong spell.)