PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Which version of Taint to use for an OA game (not Rokugan)

Luccan
2018-05-25, 05:18 PM
I'm planning an OA game, which will contain areas partly inspired by Rokugan's Shadowlands. In an effort to make use of the Nezumi taint immunity (it's one of two unique racial abilities they have) I considered simply fully adapting what is presented in OA, but that has a lot of setting specific monsters and attributes I'm not sure I want. I know there are two other sets of taint rules, one from HoH and another from UA. Which one do you think is the best set of these rules? What are the advantages and disadvantages of them?

I plan on making Nezumi immune to whatever taint rules I use, but if it works out that using taint just isn't a good idea, I'll have to figure something out to replace their immunity with.

Venger
2018-05-25, 05:23 PM
both taint systems are pretty bad. either you'll become immune and turn it into infinite power like a tainted scholar, or you'll be rotting from the inside out and having to spend all your money on pieces of jade and scarves and crap.

give the nezumi another immunity if one of your players is set on playing one. maybe an immunity or extra resistance to energy drain?

atemu1234
2018-05-26, 04:44 PM
I prefer the Heroes of Horror version myself, but I can't give too much advice.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-05-26, 06:04 PM
I'd go with the HoH version with some of the OA stuff integrated into it.

Two things that bear particular note;

1) You need to decide if you're going to allow someone who passes the maximum threshold for corruption or depravity to keep their character. I'd strongly advise going with "no." If it means losing their character, players will look at the taint with much the same abhorrence as their characters ought to.

2) The limitless power circumstance that Venger mentioned above is a result of interpreting a certain piece of the rules in a particular way. Undead, evil outsiders, and the templates associated with excess taint are considered to have taint scores of a given value. Some interpret these to be a starting point that can be built on but it seems very clear to me that the intention of the designers was for these to be absolute, fixed values. If you take the latter interpretation then the problem simply disappears.