PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Animated Object, how to get it some fire breath?

RoboEmperor
2018-05-25, 06:09 PM
----------

Venger
2018-05-25, 07:50 PM
what is your character's build and resources? it doesn't sound like you're an effigy master.

can you awaken it so it can take feats?
have you got access to infusions?
do you want to buy it stuff? what's your budget? talon scepter shoots fire though the damage is low. skin of the fiend is expensive but its laser eyes deal a good deal of fire damage.

Venger
2018-05-25, 08:27 PM
wow, that is a really helpful answer, no one ever gives me an answer like that.

in that case, it looks like feats and the thing using umd are unfortunately off the table if you can't awaken it, and having an npc spellcaster awaken it for you would be prohibitively expensive.

itemswise:
lightning gauntlets let you deal a little electricity damage a few times a day.

as far as items go, they're pretty stingy about giving you an at-will power via items. I'll keep looking.

what are you turning into to animate objects? a ravid? something else?

Jack_Simth
2018-05-25, 08:29 PM
My robot got destroyed and for his replacement I wanted to make a triple headed dragon robot and give it some fire breaths.

So... all I know of is the spell turret trap and put it in his mouth or rings of spell storing and put it on one of its teeth. There's gotta be a better way.

Note: It doesn't matter if it's an actual breath, scorching ray, orb of x, some non-fire blasting, etc. I just want some magic projectiles.

Let's see... if it's an Ironwyrm Golem, rather than an animated object, it comes with a 60 foot cone of fire breath. But then you don't get three heads.

Hmm... Wyrmgrafter (Races of the Dragon) lets you make grafts and add them to living creatures. One of the grafts is Metabolic fire; Greater Humanoid Essence (Races of Eberron) makes a construct humanoid for a time. It's rounds/level, but if you cast it on your construct while on a plane that's timeless with respect to magic, then the spell doesn't expire, and you've got plenty of time to attach the graft. Alt: Polymorph Any Object to make it a living creature while you work.

I'm not 100% clear what happens when the spell expires, mind, but it only needs to be a living creature when you apply the graft. Technically. There's other grafts that grant such boons; Beholder Grafts include Eye Stalk, Gazing Eye, and Replacement Eye; Maug Grafts include a Stone Spitter; Undead Grafts include the Eye of Flame and Mummified Eye; Aboleth Grafts include a Mucus Projector.

Jack_Simth
2018-05-25, 08:46 PM
Seeing how the Animated Object "dies" every 20 rounds and is re-animated almost immediately, I don't think permanent duration stuff would work.

@Venger
Forgot to mention I'm a changeling.

So you want an item it can use. Hmm. Ring of Telekenisis and a bunch of Javelins down it's throat? Have it Violent Thrust nine of them at a time (get slightly oversized javelins - Large, Huge, whatever, until you hit the 25 pound per item weight limit when doing nine items). Assuming it can do command words.... you'll need to reload after combat, but that's probably not too big of a deal.

Jack_Simth
2018-05-25, 09:12 PM
It can't cause it can't speak :P
Also Ring of Telekinesis is 75,000gp so waaay out of budget. Spell Turrets 4th level is 14,000gp and is infinite. I'm just a little reluctant because spell turrets have a horrendous time penetrating SR, and I don't know what 3 of the 4 spells should be (one is orb of lightning), and I don't have the metamagic to get lower level spells up to 4th.

Orb of Lightning is Conjouration Sor/Wiz 4, so you need three other no-SR spells, then. Hmm... that is a tough one, as most of your no-SR direct offense spells are Conjouration. Would you settle for a no-save spell? Lots of things have high saves and no SR, while other things have decent SR but only moderate saves. Ice Storm and Enervation are both no-save (but do permit SR). Maybe top it off with Shadow Conjouration to drop spare bodies on the battlefield every fifth round.

Venger
2018-05-25, 09:23 PM
No-SR is too hard so I'll settle for yes SR.

Enervation sounds amazing.
Shadow Conjuration is a great Idea!
Ice Storm... I dunno, 5d6 is too weak but then again the orb is also only 7d8.

Thanks for the suggestions. I still want to know what my other options are so I'll wait for Venger :)

ice storm isn't good primarily for damage, it's good for bfc by slowing enemies.