PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a system

ACExtravaganza
2018-05-25, 08:06 PM
Whats a good system for magic item creation with an exploration of knowledge element that has consistent results and costs?

Obscuraphile
2018-05-26, 02:07 AM
Can you clarify what you mean by "exploration of knowledge element"?

For the other parts I would say that D&D 3.5 does this fairly well, even when you're getting into custom items, although a lot of the time you aren't making checks to create items.

Rhedyn
2018-05-26, 07:52 AM
Whats a good system for magic item creation with an exploration of knowledge element that has consistent results and costs?
I would say BECMI/RC D&D has the most comprehensive magic item creation rules of any game I've looked at so far.

As for, "exploration of knowledge" that depends on what you mean, but wizards aren't given spells for free like in later D&D and spells are the bedrock of magic item creation and item creation can fail but also grants you experience for a success.

NichG
2018-05-27, 07:17 AM
Making a research system that's really exploratory sounds like an interesting challenge.

I think I'd try to build it around the idea that discovery requires evidence/opportunity, and make a set of abstract resources associated with different discoveries made during play. E.g. finding a new mineral is worth either an Earth Magic discovery point, or can be converted to a Metallurgy or Alchemy discovery point by sacrificing the sample. Those points would be usable either to unlock new combinatoric elements, or to create variations of how known ones function.

Those elements would then be used together to construct spells, enchantments, effects, and items - exploring the combos available with resources uncovered so far would be the player analog of the character's research process.

Discoveries could be shared or pooled, but at a mild XP cost representing the period of study.

ACExtravaganza
2018-05-27, 09:03 AM
Making a research system that's really exploratory sounds like an interesting challenge.

I think I'd try to build it around the idea that discovery requires evidence/opportunity, and make a set of abstract resources associated with different discoveries made during play. E.g. finding a new mineral is worth either an Earth Magic discovery point, or can be converted to a Metallurgy or Alchemy discovery point by sacrificing the sample. Those points would be usable either to unlock new combinatoric elements, or to create variations of how known ones function.

Those elements would then be used together to construct spells, enchantments, effects, and items - exploring the combos available with resources uncovered so far would be the player analog of the character's research process.

Discoveries could be shared or pooled, but at a mild XP cost representing the period of study.

Something like this is what I'm looking for, unfortunately I'm looking for a system that already exists. :/

Rhedyn
2018-05-27, 10:29 AM
Something like this is what I'm looking for, unfortunately I'm looking for a system that already exists. :/ Does Ars Magica or Mage do it?

ACExtravaganza
2018-05-28, 10:18 AM
Welp, my DM decided on using Pathfinder, so that's that. :/