PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Water Walking on rapids?

xroads
2018-05-25, 11:34 PM
Let's say my cleric casts water walking on the party. What happens if they have to walk across an area of strong current? What about rapids?

I assume that they will have to make some sort of athletic or acrobatic role not to fall on their butts. Maybe enjoy a involuntary Slip & Slide. But I can't find anywhere where that is addressed.

ImproperJustice
2018-05-26, 12:40 AM
I dunno. If the spell description says lava and muddy swamps are ok to cross, then maybe rapids aren’t a big deal?

It is magic. It doesn’t have to be bound by rules of logic/physics.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-05-26, 02:50 AM
Let's say my cleric casts water walking on the party. What happens if they have to walk across an area of strong current? What about rapids?

I assume that they will have to make some sort of athletic or acrobatic role not to fall on their butts. Maybe enjoy a involuntary Slip & Slide. But I can't find anywhere where that is addressed.

Pretty sure that's just one of those things that a DM makes a ruling on. Does water walk prevent your feet from going under or does it merely make it buoyant? Personally I'd just rule it as difficult terrain for simplicity sake.

xroads
2018-05-27, 02:18 PM
Pretty sure that's just one of those things that a DM makes a ruling on. Does water walk prevent your feet from going under or does it merely make it buoyant? Personally I'd just rule it as difficult terrain for simplicity sake.

Hmmm... Difficult terrain sounds like a good choice. I don't think the heroes would fall through the water. But difficult terrain seems like a fair description for having to handle small waves & currents.

Of course if the currents are in the heroes favor, it might be more like riding one of those moving walkways you can find at some airports. :smallwink: