PDA

View Full Version : level 1 cleric casting divine 2nd level spells?

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-05-26, 06:17 AM
I know there is cheese and tricks to be a caster of some sort (insert arcane whats it here) and Precocious apprentice (or etc) and bam level 1 casting level 2 spells. Is there a way for a divine class (inster divine whats it here) to do the same?

My goal is to be a geomancer and the Req is
To qualify to become a Geomancer a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Skills: Knowledge (Arcana, Nature) 6 Ranks
Spellcasting: 2nd-level arcane spells and 2nd-level divine spells.

Meaning level 3 is going to end up being minimum to even hit Arcana/Nature KNowledge to 6.

Necroticplague
2018-05-26, 10:20 AM
There’s nothing stopping a divine caster from taking Precocious Apprentice if they qualify. For example, human with Southern Magician and Precocious Apprentice works.

Zaq
2018-05-26, 10:58 AM
There’s nothing stopping a divine caster from taking Precocious Apprentice if they qualify. For example, human with Southern Magician and Precocious Apprentice works.

Doesn’t Southern Magician have prereqs that prevents it from being taken at level 1?

Ramza00
2018-05-26, 11:03 AM
If I recall the Improved Sigil Krau feat can be taken at level 1. You have to be the Illuminan Race (Humanoid race with the Human subtype but no extra bonus feat, they can make words appear next to their glowing heads to do stuff) and Illuminans can choose 1 sigil at level 1 and a 2nd sigil at level 2 and the Krau sigil has to be the one you pick to take the Improved Sigil Krau feat.

Improved Sigil Krau then allows you to pick a spell with verbal components (or two spells once you get two power sigils) and these spells are heightened by 1 spell level whenever you make the magic runes appear next to your head and you are not suppressing the magic runes that appear next to your head.

Also Krau Sigils without the bonus feat give a bonus to caster level equal to the number of sigils you have up to your HD but not over your HD. Thus you get half a practiced spellcaster for free.

Nifft
2018-05-26, 11:03 AM
I know there is cheese and tricks to be a caster of some sort (insert arcane whats it here) and Precocious apprentice (or etc) and bam level 1 casting level 2 spells. Is there a way for a divine class (inster divine whats it here) to do the same?

I think Earth Spell would work.

You'd prepare a level 0 spell in a level 1 slot with Heighten Spell, and Earth Spell makes it level 2.

Selene Sparks
2018-05-26, 11:20 AM
I know there is cheese and tricks to be a caster of some sort (insert arcane whats it here) and Precocious apprentice (or etc) and bam level 1 casting level 2 spells. Is there a way for a divine class (inster divine whats it here) to do the same?There are several ways to do it, depending on what your objective is. If being able to cast a second-level spell is all you care about, then Snowcasting, Sanctum Spell, Earth Spell, Eldritch Corruption, Improved Krau Sigil, or so on all work. If you want to cast a normally second-level spell, you can totally grab Southern Magician if you're an Archivist or Favored Soul, but another option is, using the Oracle and Knowledge Domains, grab Heighten Spell, Divine Metamagic, and Extra Slot. With Extra Turning, as can be grabbed with the Undeath Domain or just being a human or using another flaw, you can get all the way up to eighth-level spells.

Doesn’t Southern Magician have prereqs that prevents it from being taken at level 1?Nope. All it requires is second-level spells, which, as we've established, is pretty easy.

Zaq
2018-05-26, 12:53 PM
Nope. All it requires is second-level spells, which, as we've established, is pretty easy.

That's what I was talking about. Since SM is being discussed specifically in the context of using it to qualify for Precocious Apprentice and PA is the source of second-level spells, that's basically entirely backwards and doesn't work.

If you use one of the other methods to get second-level spells as a level 1 character, then sure, I guess you can probably take SM. But the specific example of going SM -> PA as a level 1 divine caster doesn't work.

Necroticplague
2018-05-26, 01:10 PM
That's what I was talking about. Since SM is being discussed specifically in the context of using it to qualify for Precocious Apprentice and PA is the source of second-level spells, that's basically entirely backwards and doesn't work.

If you use one of the other methods to get second-level spells as a level 1 character, then sure, I guess you can probably take SM. But the specific example of going SM -> PA as a level 1 divine caster doesn't work.

Indeed, it doesn’t. I forgot about that prerequisite, I thought it only required mulan human.

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-05-26, 10:29 PM
Trying to get into geomancer without burning to many levels.

ZamielVanWeber
2018-05-27, 01:42 AM
Improved Sigil (Krau) will work nicely for that and requires the fewest shenanigans and is the most solid by RAW.
Eldritch Corruption is a great option if taint is on the table but you then need to work hard to keep your depravity under control.

Selene Sparks
2018-05-27, 02:15 AM

If you use one of the other methods to get second-level spells as a level 1 character, then sure, I guess you can probably take SM. But the specific example of going SM -> PA as a level 1 divine caster doesn't work.Yes it most certainly does, as I explained earlier. If the desired outcome is having Precocious Apprentice, you can just take Snowcasting, Southern Magician, and Precocious Apprentice.

Trying to get into geomancer without burning to many levels.Then what you want is Snowcasting and Southern Magician, so you don't have to lose any levels. Improved Sigil works, but you're going to be pretty feat-starved, so I'd recommend regular human over illumian in this context. These together mean you can get in theoretically as early as level two, but more practically at level 4.

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-05-27, 03:10 AM
I was planning on running as a changling that becomes a totemist down the line using geomancer to flesh out my natural attacks and getting wings ofc. So he is a "beast/monster" amongst beast and monsters lol

death390
2018-05-27, 09:52 AM
clerics are viable to pick up versatile spellcaster, versatile spellcaster allow you to cast any higher level spell you know for the cost of 2 previous level spell slots. take two 1st level spell slots to cast a 2nd. tada you can cast 2nd level spells.

any of the Heighten spell tricks work.

Heighten booster feats.
Sanctum spell
The illuman sigil thing
Earth spell (earth power prereq)

Metamagic reducers
Easy metamagic (-1 to the metamagic feat it is attached to)
Practical metamagic (requires dragonblood subtype and skill ranks)

Saintheart
2018-05-27, 10:05 AM
Mad Faith, Heroes of Horror. Requires depravity rules, but allows you to pick up and thus presumably use 2nd level or 3rd level divine spells while still at level 1.

Necroticplague
2018-05-27, 11:56 AM
Mad Faith, Heroes of Horror. Requires depravity rules, but allows you to pick up and thus presumably use 2nd level or 3rd level divine spells while still at level 1.

Eldritch Corruption can also let you do it.