PDA

View Full Version : Tell me a highlight of your last session.

jaappleton
2018-05-26, 07:40 AM
Something your character did, or an NPC did, a success, a failure, whatever.

Just pick something that you felt was great, or funny, or utterly terrible, of your last game.

I'll lead off.

I was trying to convince a shopkeeper that this mundane spear we'd found actually belonged to an Exarch of Corellon, and was used to stab Lolth in a battle. While the human merchant held the spear, inspecting it, I cast Heat Metal on it, claiming that it must be that only an Elf, a child of Corellon, could wield its power. Got a lot of money for that. :smallbiggrin:

hymer
2018-05-26, 08:20 AM
The PCs drowned several dozens of derro, who had taken up residence in the waterworks of an abandoned dwarf city. They fought the derro until they could shut the exit, and then used the old waterworks controls to flood the reservoir, with most of the derro inside.

Falcon X
2018-05-26, 08:38 AM
The bard, having just reached level 7, polymorphic the Medusa boss into a rabbit. The other players, running into combat with well prepared mirrors and closed eyes, just kind of stopped awkwardly.

Then they thought it was horrible to slaughter the helpless bunny.
Then, in the hour it took for the spell to wear off, they surrounded a room with mirrors. The the Medusa de-polymorphs, looks into a mirror, and is now herself a statue.

ZorroGames
2018-05-26, 09:01 AM
DMing a party of 7, mostly first, one second, one third. A returning from AD&D player using a pre-gen in his first adventure sees the disappeared acolyte has summoned 8 blood hawks and 2 hippogriffs and says, in shock thinking 2e monsters, “ ‘Expletive deleted’ we are all going to die,” in almost awe tone of voice. Nobody died despite the monsters best infuriated efforts though it was close once or twice.

Loved that response.

Pyramid Pug
2018-05-26, 09:47 AM
Bard:- "I cast minor illusion, make a lion's roar to scare the zombies away."

Party:- "...."

DM:- "The zombies turn their heads towards the noise, but seem otherwise unimpressed."

Bard:- "You sure? They need to pass an int check and I thought zombies were dumb.."

DM:- " Yeah... pretty sure"

Party does its things, new round, bard again.

Bard:- " I cast charm person on the zombies." *pastes spell description on chat*

DM (feeling generous): "Okay, you were always more of a party guy and as such you never payed much attention in your classes at the college of lore, but you are now remembering it might not be a good idea to do that."

Bard:- "What?"

Party:- " Dood just read the last sentence of the spell you just posted!"

Bard:- "Oh. I guess I'll just take a defensive action then." (he was about 60 feet away from the nearest zombie, with their attention focused on the meleeing monk)

DM:- "Don't you have a crossbow or a cantrip or something?"

Bard:-"Oh yeah, I have those!"

I'm being somewhat mean as the player was new to this I think (tho he did say he plays a cleric somewhere else), but the mental image of a bard trying to charm a zombie just cracked me up. It was a fun session and I have fun playing with everyone.

And not like I don't do similar stuff.. "THAT'S IT, THE CLERIC IS DONE WITH THESE MOFOS! I UPCAST INFLICT WOUNDS TO THE MAX!... wait a minute.. I forgot to prepare Inflict Wounds, DAMMIT!" and a few moments later after the fight.. "..did I try to cast inflict wounds on a creature we had faced before and my character knew for a fact it was immune to necrotic damage?" ... DM bursts laughing.

leogobsin
2018-05-26, 10:12 AM
My dragonborn barbarian bursts into a room where a group of goblins are set up behind a barricade. The bard, who is still in the other room, casts disguise self to make himself look like a hobgoblin. He then comes in and convinces the goblins that the party is with him. He gets them to come out from behind the barricade and get into a line to receive orders... at which point my dragonborn uses his breath weapon on like six of them at once.

MephitBlue
2018-05-26, 10:24 AM
Our last session was our party's first at level 9. Our party, whose reputation recently had grown received a letter from a far off dukedom asking for our assistance. In the past our party's ability to travel was limited, usually by land, sometimes by sea, and occasionally a NPC would use teleportation magic to take us some place we either needed to be, or didn't want to be. But this time it was different as my sorcerer drew an arcane circle on the ground, casting his first fifth level spell and teleporting the party to circle near their destination.

As my sorcerer celebrated his new found ability, our Dragonborn Paladin through up chunks of icy food and ale from the heavy partying we had done the night before, failing a crucial keep the contents of your stomach intact constitution saving throw.

In the world our DM has created, teleportation circles exist in all major cities. Being able to use this teleportation circle network opens a world of possibilities for our characters.

TheFarReach
2018-05-26, 10:35 AM
Playing ToA, we had just gotten to level five. We came across some shadow monkey things hanging under a bridge. Reasoning that they would dislike light, I cast 'Light' on the vines under the bridge. They responded by Psychic Crushing the bard, killing him instantly. After that, we ran away, carrying his body. And then, to honor his memory, I ate him, and used his bones to make stuff. Then, about 10-15 minutes later, I glance at my spell sheet, where I saw Revivify. I spoke up, and even though we knew it wouldn't have worked, we all laughed for a solid 10 minutes about the Lizardfolk cleric who eats people instead of brining them back.

jaappleton
2018-05-26, 10:52 AM
Playing ToA, we had just gotten to level five. We came across some shadow monkey things hanging under a bridge. Reasoning that they would dislike light, I cast 'Light' on the vines under the bridge. They responded by Psychic Crushing the bard, killing him instantly. After that, we ran away, carrying his body. And then, to honor his memory, I ate him, and used his bones to make stuff. Then, about 10-15 minutes later, I glance at my spell sheet, where I saw Revivify. I spoke up, and even though we knew it wouldn't have worked, we all laughed for a solid 10 minutes about the Lizardfolk cleric who eats people instead of brining them back.

“I’d heal you, but... Man, you’re just too damn tasty!”

Fire Tarrasque
2018-05-26, 01:06 PM
Oh boy. My group is unique, as we make a point to ban PVP, but whoever DMs tries to shut it down if it gets to bad. That's not important here.
Anyhow, we were stranded in the middle of the desert through various circumstances, with an Owlbear.
We have ONE signifcant rule for whoever DO NOT USE OWLBEARS. One of our players has this strange obsession with them. First time they got an Owlbear, it went okay. Second time, that's a bit weird and I had to get rid of it, but alright then. Third time: Okay this is getting a bit weird. Fourth time: Okay this is starting to get really weird. Fifth time: JUST STOP NO MORE OWLBEARS HE ROLLS A NAT 20 ANIMAL HANDLING CHECK EVERY SINGLE TIME.
Sixth Campaign. We had our rule. The DM acknowledged.
Then he brings an Owlbear in.
This time, that player makes the choice to kill it with his bare hands.
TL;DR: He does. Somehow.
Then he casts revivify.
Now he has ANOTHER FREAKING OWLBEAR WHY. WHY DID YOU DO THIS.

ZorroGames
2018-05-26, 01:11 PM
Oh boy. My group is unique, as we make a point to ban PVP, but whoever DMs tries to shut it down if it gets to bad. That's not important here.
Anyhow, we were stranded in the middle of the desert through various circumstances, with an Owlbear.
We have ONE signifcant rule for whoever DO NOT USE OWLBEARS. One of our players has this strange obsession with them. First time they got an Owlbear, it went okay. Second time, that's a bit weird and I had to get rid of it, but alright then. Third time: Okay this is getting a bit weird. Fourth time: Okay this is starting to get really weird. Fifth time: JUST STOP NO MORE OWLBEARS HE ROLLS A NAT 20 ANIMAL HANDLING CHECK EVERY SINGLE TIME.
Then he casts revivify.
Obvious to me.

Me: Okay, no Owlbears.

DM: Owlbear.

Me: A challenge, okay sucker...

MilkmanDanimal
2018-05-26, 02:56 PM
Then he casts revivify.

I just used Owlbears for my players; they're such an iconic monster, and I realized I hadn't used one yet. Problem is, at their level, one Owlbear wasn't going to be a challenge, but two Owlbears? That would be far more level-appropriate. The thing is, I had to think of a situation where the players could run into two Owlbears instead of just one.

So, of course . . .

The players are wandering through the woods, which have been twisted and warped by Official Evil Magic Stuff. They hear some roaring and grunting from behind some bushes, and, when they investigate, they find two Owlbears together. Like, very together. Like, "making baby Owlbears" together. Because, why not.

The Owlbears were not happy, particularly the boy Owlbear. He charged, the players fought him off, surrounding him, until the Wizard decided to blast him with Magic Missile, and, of course, decided to aim it right at the monster's . . . uh . . . "little Owlbear". It was enough to kill the Owlbear and, considering the situation, I made the four players in melee range make DEX saves to avoid the explosion of Owlbear "fluid". Only one made the save, so the other three got a bath.

I am a mature adult human being. Obviously.

Protato
2018-05-26, 03:14 PM
My character (Barbarian) and a friend's (Mastermind Rogue with +14 Sleight of Hand due to class expertise and gaining proficiency with Mastermind subclass, DM allowed it to stack) used a grappling hook on an enemy gargoyle to pull him into a pit. With her Sleight of Hand check on the grappling hook throw and my Athletics check to drag him into the pit, we had succeeded and locked him down completely. He didn't escape and the party ganged up on the gargoyle, killing it effortlessly with no damage taken.

Nod_Hero
2018-05-26, 04:01 PM
Hill Giant threw a boulder at the monk, she deflected missiles for all but 1 damage.
We fluffed it that she lept up and punched the boulder so hard it disintegrated but she hurt her knuckles doing so...

Joe the Rat
2018-05-26, 06:43 PM
Kender seduces underage green dragon into relocating her lair to the castle from which we need to rescue a Dwarf Businessman.

Also, there was pie.

ErrantNonsense
2018-05-26, 07:01 PM
Our characters come across a flooded pool in a dungeon, with what looks like a body wearing fancy robes at the bottom. I naturally want whatever loot is on it, and my character was a sailor before becoming an adventurer, so diving down 10ft of still water is a piece of cake, right?

Party rogue grabs me and says "hey buddy, are you sure, water can be pretty dangerous"

"Oh is water dangerous? You're telling me that water is dangerous? How did I never notice in my 20 years at sea! Thanks for the update!"

Roll a 1 on my athletics check, am immediately sucked into the water elemental lurking in the pool, which proceeds to nearly kill half the (level 3) party.

...This was the second optional encounter I triggered that session out of sheer greed

Telwar
2018-05-26, 09:45 PM
We corner an orog warlock, wearing a single left-handed bad-ass iron gauntlet, in his tower, and the halfling warlock/rogue has his gem of seeing out and sees there's a marilith in with him. To me, that qualifies as a reason to use my mystic's OH CRAP button and pump out victory before battle and give everyone a +10 bonus to initiative. I go after the sorcerer/cleric, and stun the orog warlock with psychic crush. Between that and the rest of the party piling into the warlock, he doesn't get to go before the sorcerer/cleric pumps a twinned disintegrate into him and the marilith. He fails his save, dies, and buffies, with the gauntlet falling to the ground. The marilith says something about "you picked a poor host this time!"

The rest of the party continues fighting the marilith, who's focusing on the dwarf cleric. Third round, though, I then announce that I'm hungry lightninging the gauntlet.

After the marilith goes down, the party fighter goes and cleaves the gauntlet in twain, as we were pretty sure that was some sort of phylactery or something.

As it turns out, it was an artifact that gave the wearer the powers of a 16th-level warlock. Le sigh. It turns out that the possessing orog was actually a priest in another temple, but at least we were able to knock out a good chunk of his power.

The sorcerer/cleric's player glared at me a little over dinner after. Oops.

Gastronomie
2018-05-26, 09:45 PM
As the DM: Since Buppido in the original adventure was too weak, I buffed him up a lot to become a multiattack caster with Legendary Actions and some nasty spells converted from the Book of Vile Darkness (and he's a chosen of Orcus, because why not). In the battle following his betrayal, he knocks out one of the PCs and then casts Lightning Bolt on the area including said PC (and several others).

PC's original HP is 38, odds of auto-kill with 8d6 are about 1%.

Buppido rolls 38. Thus the first dead adventurer in the party. Buppido proceeds to make her into a fresh new zombie.

The players, who were already pretty mad at Buppido for decieving them all this time (they had liked him a lot as a companion), were now outrageous at him. I didn't actually mean to kill the PC with Lightning Bolt, but it turns out it helped emphasize the cruelty of a villain NPC, and the player who got his character killed got to enjoy it (it was his first dead PC, and he said it was a fresh experience), so all in all it was for the good.

EvilAnagram
2018-05-26, 10:16 PM
A horrific spider creature had ambushed us, and I cast Chaos Bolt to start of the combat.

... and then I Wild Surged, turning my entire party invisible. The legendary reverse-ambush commenced.

Foxhound438
2018-05-26, 10:23 PM
>be ye olde paladin
>at level 1
>LMoP, because there is no other option for the DM in question
>large number of goblins get called to attack us
>go to a chokepoint and be the dodge man while party shoots ranged past me
>approximately 1 million misses occur, mostly from the goblins
>at some point get hit once for like a third of my HP
>finally down to only 2 enemies
>choose to attack instead of dodge because holy crap this is taking too long
>miss
>gets crit+KO'd

also known as the life story of any level one character trying to act as a tank.

On the bright side, I also performed an elbow drop to finish an enemy, and that was worth it.

SkylarkR6
2018-05-26, 10:30 PM
So the session before last, my character died. A Paladin/Warlock who lost his face to some Uber undead's dinner that was besieging a city.

This last session, my new character comes in as a defender of said city. This time a wizard because, why not?

The best part was the look of shock and awe when I turned the NPC defender(9th level fighter) into a T-Rex. A round of"You can do that? What else can you do?" later and everyone is trying to come up with ways to synergize this since our last wizard only knew damage spells. Totally threw off our battle.

A close second was at the end of the game when I told that same fighter that I needed a mount and wanted to turn him into my horse. The fighter balked(naturally), and when he rolled high on the polymorph save, I used a portent roll of 3 to force it. DM was irritated and rethinking my school after

Maelynn
2018-05-27, 02:32 PM
We were besieging a goblin camp, protected by a steep ledge surrounding it on all sides. It was suicide to run down the only ramp leading into the camp, so we had to try and find ways to lure some of them out and thin their numbers.

The Ranger had a Bag of Tricks and decided to pull one out, in hopes of it being useful for our plans. It was a Boar. Not exactly the Giant Elk we were hoping for.

"well, maybe we can use it as.. bait?"
"that could work, there isn't much food in this area... but then we'd have to use a long rope to pull it back in time"
"which we can't really see if it stands right on the top of that ledge, they might just snatch it and run back before we see what's going on"
Bard: "oh, I can just go stand next to it and lead it back down the ledge when they're approaching"
"as if they're going to fall for a Half-Orc holding a tasty piece of meat... besides, they've already seen you earlier"
"I've got my disguise kit"
"what, like some twisted Timon and Pumba decoy?"
"... well yes, exactly like that"
"lolwut, like, you in a huladress?"
"yup"

So enter a large Half-Orc heavy metal Bard (the long hair, black leather trousers, metal spikes kind), wearing a huladress and a lei and waving his long black hair in the wind. Holding a Boar on a leash.

He rolls a bloody 23 on his Perform and actually gets a dozen Goblins on their feet to hurridly go after that bacon.

Of course we came up with heavy metal renditions of the song Timon sings, and had many a bad mental image of a Half-Orc swinging his hips in a grass skirt...

ZorroGames
2018-05-27, 03:19 PM
We were besieging a goblin camp, protected by a steep ledge surrounding it on all sides. It was suicide to run down the only ramp leading into the camp, so we had to try and find ways to lure some of them out and thin their numbers.

The Ranger had a Bag of Tricks and decided to pull one out, in hopes of it being useful for our plans. It was a Boar. Not exactly the Giant Elk we were hoping for.

"well, maybe we can use it as.. bait?"
"that could work, there isn't much food in this area... but then we'd have to use a long rope to pull it back in time"
"which we can't really see if it stands right on the top of that ledge, they might just snatch it and run back before we see what's going on"
Bard: "oh, I can just go stand next to it and lead it back down the ledge when they're approaching"
"as if they're going to fall for a Half-Orc holding a tasty piece of meat... besides, they've already seen you earlier"
"I've got my disguise kit"
"what, like some twisted Timon and Pumba decoy?"
"... well yes, exactly like that"
"lolwut, like, you in a huladress?"
"yup"

So enter a large Half-Orc heavy metal Bard (the long hair, black leather trousers, metal spikes kind), wearing a huladress and a lei and waving his long black hair in the wind. Holding a Boar on a leash.

He rolls a bloody 23 on his Perform and actually gets a dozen Goblins on their feet to hurridly go after that bacon.

Of course we came up with heavy metal renditions of the song Timon sings, and had many a bad mental image of a Half-Orc swinging his hips in a grass skirt...

😀😃😄😁😆😅😂🤣🤪

I may never see the Lion King the same ever again!

Peelee
2018-05-27, 10:44 PM
So, a bit of background info. I'm playing a Variant Human Cleric 1/Divine Soul 9. Decked out in full plate armor with a shield (thanks, War Caster!), and my flavor stats for appearance are were pulled from Terry Crews. I'm a big-ass guy in big-ass armor. Tank sorc.

Anyway, I think we finished Hoard of the Dragon Queen and are on Rise of Tiamat. We're being harassed by a green dragon with an elf rider, and the dragon takes off into the woods. Looks like it's escaping, nobody is fast enough to chase it down, and nobody is strong enough to take it down. Well, I'm RP-ing somewhere between a near-falling Paladin and an 80's action hero, so I Haste myself and run after it. Next round, I Dimension Door onto the dragon's back and take a swing at the the elf with my mace like I'm trying for a home run. Hoping to knock the guy off, then dive down after him with a vengeance. I can't kill a dragon solo, but I can epically go after this elf, and I'm trying, dammit! Missed, but that's cool; I can still try to shove him off (Thanks, Shield Master!). Dude just barely wins the contest, and the dragon knocks my off right after. I try to see if I can't Misty Step right on back just to piss them off, but DM (rightly) doesn't let me use Bonus Action as a Reaction, so I'm on the ground.

I was still happy with the turnout, though. They were running away regardless, and I at least got to be pretty awesome while they ran, and managed to not die soloing a dragon and dragonrider. Good outcome all around, I say.

ImproperJustice
2018-05-27, 11:56 PM
Our last session was kinda dull, we fought a battle with some twig blights mounted on dinosaurs and a got a chance to use watery sphere to suck both riders and mounts into it. It was incredibly fun to just roll this thing around popping bad guys out and prone all over the place.
When the battle finished, we all gathered around and let the sphere cool our characters off with it’s 30’ radius dowsing.

Then we climbed a steep cliff and fought a Pterodactyl to a stand still, and thanks to several Animal speaking PCs, we negotiated safe passage at the cost pf our rations.

It was good stuff.

Kane0
2018-05-28, 01:10 AM
Tabaxi Bard: “Hey there sexy lady, How do you feel about puss?”
BBEG Druidess: “...I don’t shapeshift that way”

ProsecutorGodot
2018-05-28, 03:45 AM
My Tressym killed Chief Guh and gained his wings.

Now he has 4 of them.

Quoxis
2018-05-28, 06:27 AM
Playing a field medic, the party went shopping for supplies.
A merchant tried to cheat me for some quick cash, so i subtly checked him for any symptoms of maladies - he had an itchy wart, nothing life threatening but still ugly and annoying. I then proceeded to tell him about a (totally made up) deadly disease called Troll herpes that starts with one itchy wart that at some point bursts into an oozy pus which causes more of them to grow and so on until the victim‘s entire body is covered, and it comes with other nasty symptoms like exhaustion, hair growing from ones palms, blindness and hallucinations...
Long story short: i cut off a wart in a longer-than-necessary procedure, got a massive discount on my equipment and a free book - and i was thanked for it.
I‘m not exactly playing the lawful good alignment.

mgshamster
2018-05-28, 06:55 AM
We escaped the prison of Velkynvelve in Out of the Abyss. Level 1, no armor or equipment, and shackled (disadvantage on all attacks). Fortunately we all had daggers that we stole and smuggled earlier.

We crossed the spider silk bridge to the guard house and ambushed the two guards there. In the midst of the ambush, four more drow saw us and joined the fight (priestess, two drow guards, and an elite guard).

We were decimated.

A spell knocked out two of us. I made a leap onto the spider silk bridge knocking *all* of the drow onto the bridge and yelled out for someone to cut the ropes and drop us all (AC 15, 2 HP, disadvantage to cut). Every attempt failed.

We were captured, stripped down of every little crumb on us, and thrown back into the cell.

DragonBaneDM
2018-05-28, 07:24 AM
Crit a balor for 68 damage! Thank youuu Paladin dip!

narrator667
2018-05-28, 02:14 PM
Finished up a game of Master's vault last night. Minor spoilers below.
As the room was filling up with 4 skeletons and a Necromancer, three out of the 5 players all run over to the sword locked onto the pedestal as undead were still in the room, failing each time, with the third player passing at which point the DM reminded us the sword was magically locked in place while skeletons were still in the room. While the three of us were trying to pick up the sword, the Necromancer cast a spell on most of us and knocked me down to three HP.
Now, my character, a Good natured but dumb Lizardfolk Fighter, ran into the fray and as the skeletons were flanking the party to the side, my character screamed out "NO! Attack me cowards-" before being back stabbed for 7 hit points and knocked out. The party paladin used up his turn to run over and stabilize me, where I stood up, Gave the skeleton who back stabbed me the middle finger before the skeleton attacks and cut off my middle finger.
The Paladin run up and one-shot divine smited the Necromancer the very next turn. And the rest of the battle was fought against the remaining skeletons.
After the battle, the party halfling ran over to the sword, picked it up, and asked "You guys were having trouble with this?" before waving it around. Then my character, the lizardfolk, ran over to the halfling picked him up, and put him on his shoulders while saying "Wait, I've read a book about this! You're the new King! Long live the king! Hail my liege!"
We walked back to the cabin and the party Edgelord, a Warlock, walked upstairs seemingly to take a nap but instead packed his things and walked out the door, done with our ****. My character ran up to him as everyone else was letting him walk away, said to him that even thouh the two of them weren't the best of friends, I told him I'll miss him and as a token of gratitude I handed him this rotting giant spider leg I've had since the second session. The Warlock threw it off into the forest then smirked at me before walking off. The party halfling walked walked over to me and we watched the Warlock leave, I walked back inside while the halfling, who owed the warlock a pet due to the devil's deal, and followed the warlock.
After trailing him for a while without the Warlock noticing, the Halfling decided to settle his debts before retiring his character, and shot the warlock with a sneak attack, rolling low with both on his advantage. The warlock eyed the halfling before he turned away and kept walking. The halfling then admitted to the party he was chaotic evil the whole time and shot the warlock one more time with an arrow.
I always have so many stories to tell with this group. I love these bros.

Shulk
2018-05-28, 02:20 PM
Having an anarchist stand user psion, Sick old man antichrist, A warlock who hears voices in their head, and snake from mgs3 in a car, which the anarchist is using to ram into a big villain's machine, With the car burning, playing metal and rap music, with highway to hell playing in the roll20, and killing two out of five enemies in the encounter, all before initiative was even rolled, then continuing with snake killing a poor sod with a grenade, one of our party members sniping foes WHILE ON ANOTHER MAP LAYER, Having a fairy push a sniper off the roof, and, of course, Highway to hell was playing the entire time.

Such is life in daybreak.

KeilFX
2018-05-28, 02:26 PM
1st session, everyone is level 1 (I'm a Druid, there's also a Bard, Warlock, Paladin and Sorcerer). We fumble our way to the town courtyard, where we ultimately meet our first encounter, killing some cultists within a few turns.

A powerful NPC shows up, zoops us to another location to dump exposition on us, and explains some stuff, including that our 400+ year old Wild Magic Sorcerer is a famous, near-mythological mage from ancient history, who --in his senality-- accidentally sebt himself forward in time by several thousand years.

Another encounter occurs, and we discover that this guy is so senile, HE ROLLS THE WILD MAGIC DIE EVERY TIME HE CASTS A LEVELED SPELL. first? He polymorphs into a sheep.

Second?

He fireballs himself.

DM had to deus ex machina us from not all dying. He somehow survived by succeeding his own Dex check (with a -1 Dex and +5 Cha).

MintyNinja
2018-05-28, 02:50 PM
In our latest session the party (Heavily Armored Paladin, Heavily Armored Fighter, Unarmored Barbarian) fought their way into the treasure vault of the dungeons below their new fort. Living there was a Sea Hag, a tribe of Sahuagin, and a (Homemade) Giant Viper. The party makes it's appropriate saves vs. Sea Hag Shenanigans and the fight becomes a bit of a slugfest. Once the Giant Viper drops and the mooks are engaged, the Sea Hag turns to a treasure chest and looks around for something to use against the intruders. She finds Dust of Sneezing and Choking and not being a particularly nice person, throws it at the knot of melee fighters as she flees. Every single person in the Party makes their save. :smallannoyed: So they quickly finish off the now Suffocating Sahuagin and begin to loot the pile of treasure...

That is, until the Heavily Armored Paladin notices a splash in the very deep and dark water and leaps in with his Ring of Jumping. Now he's 25 ft down in the dark water, carrying the light-source (He's Dragonborn, the Fighter's Human) and face to face with the Amphibious Sea Hag. She critically hits him, as a long claw is slipped into the exposed part of his neck. He drinks a Potion of Growth, thinking he'll be able to jump high enough to reach the surface, but now he weighs 1,600 lbs. and is having serious second thoughts about this. He drops his sword (light-source) and shield in order to try and grab the ledge. He rolls high on an Athletics Check and is able to just breach the surface, but not enough to grab the slick stone ledge. He does get a mouthful of air, though, and is back to holding his breath. The others are looting what they can, trusting their Paladin companion to have had a plan (Spoiler Alert: He didn't.) and hoping things work out. As the Paladin tries to walk away from the Sea Hag and find an easier place to climb up, in the dark, she stabs him again and he drops to Zero. And is Suffocating. And then dies. The others never saw him again.

Asmotherion
2018-05-28, 03:22 PM
Succeded on a save and had a "minor feeling of getting burned". We were in a haunted place, and I was holding a ouija board. So obviously, I get the ouija board out, and ask "Is anybody out there?". Bard of the Party moves it with prestidigitation (whispering the verbal components) to "no". Best practical joke ever.

xanderh
2018-05-29, 04:04 AM
We were 3 players, all part of the inquisition, investigating some cultists that wanted to sacrifice an ancient dragon to empower their patron. We're all level 5. I play a Paladin, one player is a crossbow expert Sharpshooter fighter, and the last is a "wizard" (actually a warlock, but we didn't know that).
We find the ritual site, and proceed in the direction of the marked trees, and find the dragon being moved as trees are cut down in front of it. There's about 14 guards wielding pikes, and about as many dwarven contractors with crossbows. We decide that I'll distract the guards, while the other two attempt to free the dragon. I proceed towards the guards holding my shield and a javelin (usually a GWM guy, but I decided more AC was more important for this), and it quickly devolves into me proclaiming "how DARE you defile this forest and this magnificent creature! Your sentence is death!" and them charging me. Eventually, I was surrounded by all 14 guards, and the GM is clearly worried that I'm about to die. My turn rolls around, and I proudly proclaim "I dodge". The GM looked at me, and said "get out all your paired dice, I need them". Dodging turned 5 crits into a single hit on the first turn of dodging, 4 crits into no hits on the second, and the dragon was freed on the third, and used its frightful presence. They all ran.
All in all, an encounter that was several times more deadly than we could reasonably handle was won due to clever tactics, and how dodging stacks with high AC.

ZorroGames
2018-05-30, 06:33 AM
TPK.

Started a new character and met a group I had DM’ed last week. They had brand new characters.

They had suffered a TPK the night prior. Never made it out of first for some. That was due in part to a party of seven starting in Mulmaster and sharing low xp rewards. Ouch.

So we start, the softsoken DM is playing a scenario I played with another character before. Good thing because the background noise is overwhelming my hearing aids.

No, repeat no, “face type” characters. None. Mostly stealthless characters. Exited prison to avoid prison escape battle. That hurt the character’s knowledge base. Bit my younger a lot because my character “didn’t know” what I the player knew. At one point the DM says that this scenario was a terrible choice for our skill sets. True that but she had no time to prepare so random chance.

Ran completely different from last time due to skills and choices. Fatal event started with 4 martials proned under fallen statue. ☹️ Player caster surrounded by Kobolds tried to clear them off with Thunderwave taking two other upright characters to zero. 😳 Trapped martials each got up on different rounds and went down their next round. TPK to Kobolds...

The new players took it well but it was the DMs first TPK so she felt bad, others DMs and players (3 Tier 1 tables and a higher tier table in separate room worth of sympathy,) had varying reactions.

samcifer
2018-05-30, 06:51 AM
SO we're in a city, working as government-sanctioned Inquisitors (basically a detective agency) and were hired to run trade negotiations between high elves and dwarves over the mining rights to a mithril mine. The elves were escorting us in their spacious carriage and we were examining the scroll containing their right of ownership. I forget how, but it comes own to me doing a perception check on the scroll and my WIS mod is zero. The dm of our last campaign is a cleric player this time and offers to aid me. "You might roll a crit," he said. "You never know. Having chronically bad luck with die rolls (during character creation of my sorc/wizard, my highest roll during two attempts was a 15) I roll the die...

Nat 20

"ARE YOU $%^@*&$ KIDDING ME?!?" I blurt out.

Everyone else is shocked and the dm is bent out of shape before describing that I see fuzzy blurring around the edges of the document and am certain that whatever is there now is not what was there originally. In the end, I had become parylized fighting off the effects f the cursed food the elves gave us while everyone else proceeded to lose to the enchantment and kill all the dwarves (who had an unforged document of ownership). We returned home with altered memories of a great time and successful negotiation. Only I had dream-like memories of what had truly happened as well as the second altered memories. We were attacked in the night by assassin hobgoblins, but none of us died and we killed them all to end the session.

Amdy_vill
2018-05-30, 07:31 AM
so are warlock who as been useless most of the time was told by the party to go to tiamat his partron and ask for a dragon(chromatic) to stand down and give us the dragon lance he was guarding. she said yes and then we when to get it. as some back ground we are in krynn and have gone on a quest collecting artifact for a ritual. this was great because we bypassed a large fight through using our contacts and minds witch is something our dm encourages but we tend to run blades first into combat instead. our party in game is known for being vary lucky as we are all 18 level but somehow can not manage to make a plane