PDA

View Full Version : Non-combat class abilities and stats?

SangoProduction
2018-05-26, 07:59 AM
I was thinking of making a little micro-brewed RPG based on Card Hunter's system (what with abilities in the deck being based on equipment, and levels in classes unlocking equipment slots for that class and what not).

That's cool and all, but if not done carefully, and made abundantly clear that you can still roleplay when you're given cool rules for combat, then it turns in to a 4e situation (if with some more...interesting build choices that are more flexible from session to session, since it's tied to equipment rather than your purely leveling choice).

So. What are some of the more notable (or even just "Fluffy") abilities you've found in 3.5 or PF that really helps....well, flesh out the system in your opinion? I'll definitely be making use of PF's skills system.

Some of the bard's music stuff seems cool. As does the naturewalk or whatever that druids get.

Preferably, there would be some solutions to problems that aren't "Smack(/debuff) them until they drop." even though combat seems to be the primary problem literally any GM uses that isn't an OOC puzzle or pure roleplay. I think 4e had skill challenges, although no one...hmm.

Actually, aside from skills, and what they entail, are there any other non-combat problems to solve with the character? I'm actually coming up with almost zilch. Travel and movement? Yeah. Not an incredible difficulty, and often glossed over, unless it's a climb check or whatever. Food stocks and other survival needs...again, typically ignored.

Carrying Capacity. Ignored mostly. But I think it would actually be really important in a game where gear is your power and flexibility. So some manner of tracking that would probably need to make it in.

BowStreetRunner
2018-05-26, 10:10 AM
I recently brushed up on the Wild Empathy ability of Druids/Rangers/Totemists/etc. and how it can work like Diplomacy for low INT animals and Magical Beasts. I would think Diplomacy and Wild Empathy as ways to turn potential enemies into allies instead would be a nice inclusion. I've always liked in games of Talisman when some of the characters could take certain opposing monsters and keep them as followers, so I think this would probably work well in your game too.

SangoProduction
2018-05-26, 06:20 PM
I recently brushed up on the Wild Empathy ability of Druids/Rangers/Totemists/etc. and how it can work like Diplomacy for low INT animals and Magical Beasts. I would think Diplomacy and Wild Empathy as ways to turn potential enemies into allies instead would be a nice inclusion. I've always liked in games of Talisman when some of the characters could take certain opposing monsters and keep them as followers, so I think this would probably work well in your game too.

That's a nice little feature. Even if it is, hands down, the most heavily mocked ability in all of media.

BowStreetRunner
2018-05-26, 08:51 PM
That's a nice little feature. Even if it is, hands down, the most heavily mocked ability in all of media.
I thought so too - usually traded it out for some ACF if I was able - but Person_Man's guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?302815-3-5-PF-Gotta-Catch-em-All-Optimizing-Wild-Empathy) made me want to give it another try.

SangoProduction
2018-05-27, 04:12 AM
Any other notable examples?