PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Ezio character help

Sora203
2018-05-26, 09:15 AM
(I couldnt decide if this would be roleplaying help, or player, so, i went with player)
Okay, so, this debate has been going on for a while with me and my friends, I'm making a rogue, and he's based off of ezio, I'm taking 3 levels in fighter, to get extra crit range, but I cant decide if I should go assassin, or thief, I like the idea of assassin, but most of the abilities fall short, but it would be better for roleplaying, but thief has better abilities, and also has the scaling buildings, so it would be good for rp as well.

Unoriginal
2018-05-26, 09:56 AM
(I couldnt decide if this would be roleplaying help, or player, so, i went with player)
Okay, so, this debate has been going on for a while with me and my friends, I'm making a rogue, and he's based off of ezio, I'm taking 3 levels in fighter, to get extra crit range, but I cant decide if I should go assassin, or thief, I like the idea of assassin, but most of the abilities fall short, but it would be better for roleplaying, but thief has better abilities, and also has the scaling buildings, so it would be good for rp as well.

Eizo doesn't really strike me as the "disguise yourself and kill anyone by stabbing them once" kind of Rogue, more like the "can climb anything and parkour his way into all the places" kind of Rogue.

IMO you should go for Thief Rogue (and for Monk rather than Fighter).

Then again I have limited knowledge of Assassin's Creed.

lxion
2018-05-26, 12:43 PM
I'd say the Rogue/monk build would be interesting indeed. Ezio isn't exactly stealthy imo.

Calen
2018-05-26, 12:59 PM
if your DM is amiable to home-brew...MFOV The Brotherhood (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2017/09/the-brotherhood.html)

If not, then IMHO the thief covers the most important skill of Ezio, the ability to climb quickly and easily. Ezio is not extremely stealthy, merely exploiting the guards lack of interest in searching haystacks and looking up.

Quoxis
2018-05-26, 01:17 PM
5e doesn’t really support most of the Assassin‘s Creed game feelings - no real rules for parcour other than jumping length and height, so most DMs will probably handwave it unless your strength is abysmal or they specifically don’t want you to climb their cathedrals, sneaking has no real rules for hiding in crowds unless you wanna play a halfling, and doing assassinations by jumping down on your prey is uncertain in regards of benefiting you mechanically.
In the games, if you sneak up on your victim you can one hit them - not a given in 5e either, you can just hope for the best, that’s why i‘d say champion isn’t a bad idea of you - doing twice as many crits is worth the investment here.

Other than that, it depends on what you expect your campaign to be like - will your DM give you instant advantage if you get the drop on your opponent (literally, as in dropping down onto them blade first)? Then definitely go thief for the parcour-ing.

Will climbing etc. not work the way you want it to, will the GM not allow you to, will the party not like you hogging game time by doing 426 checks to climb-jump-balance-sprint while hidden? Then go assassin.

lxion
2018-05-26, 01:40 PM
A true Ezio character will also not be really possible, because of the D&D vs video game fact. In AC, you're a badass assassin that is impossible to hit when blocking and able to take down hundreds of foes on his own. You are an army of one and in D&D, that's not really a thing (again, my opinion :smallsmile:). Now, some aspects, both roleplaying as mechanics, can be used, but you'd have to discuss that with your DM (hiding in plain sight, parkour and benefits,...). If not possible, I would indeed focus on the quick movement between enemies with a high crit chance and add the fluff to your own likings.

Sora203
2018-05-26, 06:36 PM
I appreciate all the help you guys have given me, I will more than likely go thief for this game, I probably should have specified that this is a more role play based game, versus combat, that's why I wasn't sure which section to put it under.

Joe the Rat
2018-05-26, 09:14 PM
I'd recommend Arcane Trickster - you'll need Feather Fall.

Although from a more serious perspective, I'd be half tempted to work from a Monk (Kensei) / Rogue (Thief) mix.

Ninjadeadbeard
2018-05-27, 02:19 AM
Straight Monk (Fist), Rogue (Thief or Assassin could fit), or Ranger (Revised, Gloomstalker) would make an excellent Assassin's Creed character. Though I am also tempted to suggest a War Bard for Ezio in particular. He was a charming one, wasn't he? :smallbiggrin: