PDA

View Full Version : NeoSeraphi's Curse of Strahd IC

NeoSeraphi
2018-05-26, 12:52 PM
To a party of seasoned adventurers such as yourselves, what you see is but another dull tavern in another dull town in some nameless province. It is but another span of time between the challenges of true adventuring.

Outside the tavern, a fog lies over the town this evening. The damp, cobbled pavement glistens as the lights of street lanterns dance across the slick stones. The fog chills the bones and shivers the soul of anyone outside.

Yet inside these tavern walls the food is hearty, and the ale is warm and frothy. A fire blazes in the hearth, and the tavern is alive with the tumbling voices of country folk.

Suddenly, the tavern door swings open, and a hush falls over the room. Framed by the lamp-lit fog, a form strides through the doorway. His heavy, booted footfalls and the jingle of his coins shatter the silence. His brightly colored clothes are draped in loose folds about him, and his hat hangs askew, hiding his eyes in shadows. Without hesitation, he walks up to your table and stands proudly in a wide stance with folded arms.

In an accented voice, he says, "I have been sent to you to deliver this message. If you be creatures of honor, you will come to my master's aid at first light. It is not advisable to travel the Svalich Woods at night!" He pulls from his tunic a sealed letter, addressed to all of you in beautiful, flowing script. He drops the letter on the table. "Take the west road from here some five hours march down through the Svalich Woods. There you will find my master in Barovia."

He pauses, giving you the opportunity to speak.

Aleister VII
2018-05-26, 07:56 PM
The young woman known as Reyna Starfall was tasting her cup of wine just when the stranger enters dramatically and hands over the letters, she quickly reads it and then looks at the others adventurers who also got a letter before finally speaking to the mysterious deliver.

"What's this? Care to explain yourself, give us any useful detail or at least introduce yourself?" Questioned Reyna with curiosity as she hands over the letter to one of her retainers, to her Butler to be exact and then proceed to glance at the others adventurers again, she recognized one of them as the Baron of the Nether Woods, the others two's identities however are unknown to Reyna yet the human girl seems cute.

JonRG
2018-05-26, 09:29 PM
Stefan remains in his seat, trying valiantly to conceal his attempt to stand and the sharp pain that halted it. "Lady Reyna has a point. I would hate for your master to feel ill-served, whoever he or she might be." He flashes a charming smile, though the demand for information remains.

CaoimhinTheCape
2018-05-27, 10:51 AM
As the newcomer enters, Mardra has a fork in her mouth. But at the mention of Barovia, she nearly spits out her food. It was hard to believe, after the searching she has done, that the opportunity to find her sister may have come out of the blue.

As her companions ask questions of the messenger, she takes a look around the room. She is interested to see how the other patrons react to this scene-stealing newcomer and see if they are the only adventuring party here.

Perception: [roll0]

Kallimakus
2018-05-27, 11:10 AM
Minerva eyes the newcomer with suspicion. After the others have said their piece, she speaks up. "You say your master requires aid but do not name him. You do not ask, but demand. You say your master is from, or possibly in, Barovia, but who is your master to make demands of us?"

NeoSeraphi
2018-05-27, 01:49 PM
The man nods solemnly. "Peace. I will answer your questions. My name is Arrigal, of the Vistani people. My master is Burgomaster Kolyan Indirovich, a remarkable man of integrity. As to why he makes demands of you, it is because he has power and you do not."

Amid the silent stares of the patronage, the gypsy strides to the bar and says to the wary barkeep, "Fill the glasses, one and all. Their throats are obviously parched." He drops a purse heavy with gold on the bar. With that, he leaves.

The babble of tavern voices resumes, although somewhat subdued. The letter is lying before you. The seal is in the shape of a crest you don't recognize.

The barkeep comes by and refills your glasses as instructed. You have some time to read and make a decision.

Hail to thee of might and valor.

I, a lowly servant of Barovia, send honor to thee. We plead for thy so desperately needed assistance.

The love of my life, Ireena Kolyana, has been afflicted by an evil so deadly that even the good people of our village cannot protect her. She languishes from her wound, and I would have her saved from this menace.

There is much wealth in this community. I offer all that might be had to thee and thy fellows if thou shalt but answer my desperate plea.

Come quickly, for her time is at hand! All that I have shall be thine!

Kolyan Indirovich
Burgomaster

Kallimakus
2018-05-27, 02:24 PM
"Thank you" Minerva tells the man after he is done telling. Her opinion of the man is not great, but that is about to change. She breaks the seal and reads the letter. She is moved by the letter almost to tears as she hands the letter to the next person. "I... I can't turn down this request" she says with a cracked voice.

JonRG
2018-05-27, 09:24 PM
Stefan scans the letter, slightly mouthing the words. Wealth and possibly no small amount of influence... Both wonderful things. "I would hear our proposed task, at the very least. No harm in a discussion." He casually sips his wine.

Aleister VII
2018-05-28, 12:54 AM
"This looks fishy but I can't just turn away this request, the reward sounds undeniably good but above all if someone is in need of a hero that's my call, for the glory, for the greater good and that sort of things... may the bards sing songs and tell tales about my heroic deeds once I'm not in the material plane anymore." Said a rather dramatic Reyna, perhaps this is the chance that she has been looking for, a chance to redeem herself and put her pact magic to a good use.

[COLOR="#0000CD"] "Ahem... forgive my rudeness I was daydreaming a little, allow me to introduce myself I'm Reyna Starfall, wandering adventurer, magic user and member of the Starfall house, and these are my faithful servants, Florence, Amaranth and Aliett." The introduction was mostly directed to both Mardra and Minerva as she is already acquaintance of Stefan.

CaoimhinTheCape
2018-05-28, 07:32 PM
Mardra's face tenses as she reads the letter. Being the last to read it, and seeing that the messenger has left, she shakes her head. "I don't like this. If someone is ill, you find a temple. You do not walk into a tavern and hope these is someone who can help."

She takes a drink of her mead and sighs. "That said, I am going. We must be wary of this 'Kolyan Indirovich'."

NeoSeraphi
2018-05-28, 07:52 PM
Rolling thunderclouds cast a gray spell over the land of Barovia. A deathly stillness hangs over the dark woods. The evergreen trees of the Svalich Woods climb the sides of the mountains that enclose the valley. The largest of these peaks is Mount Baratok, with its snow-covered cap and rugged slopes. Baratok's slightly smaller twin, Mount Ghakis, is mostly bald with tufts of trees here and there. Between these two mountains stands Lake Zarovich, which is fed by streams of ice-cold water pouring down the face of Mount Baratok. On the south side of the lake rests the town of Vallaki, enclosed by a palisade. West of the two mountains, atop a hill, stands the Abbey of Saint Markovia, around which the Barovians built a walled village named Krezk.

Black pools of water stand like dark mirrors in and around the muddy roadway that you all are walking along. Giant trees loom on both sides of the road, their branches clawing at the mist.

Stefan tenses up. He can see no end to this road through the dense fog. They may be walking for some time.

Madra hears a footstep behind them. Then another. The soft, subtle cracking of a stick being crushed underfoot.

Everyone needs to make a Constitution saving throw

Aleister VII
2018-05-28, 10:57 PM
Constitution save: [roll0]

NeoSeraphi
2018-05-28, 11:05 PM
Reyna stands tall and proud as she wanders through the mist, though her companions look weak and agitated.

Mardra and Stefan both gain one level of exhaustion.

The fog is incorrigible at the edge of the woods, and Amaranth weakly suggests that they move deeper into the forest to clear their heads.

CaoimhinTheCape
2018-05-29, 09:23 AM
Mardra takes deep breaths, trying to gain some composure. For all she has travelled, she hadn't felt exhaustion quite like this.

"We need to find some place else, agreed. But I'm worried we're being followed, better find it fast."

Aleister VII
2018-05-29, 01:37 PM
"Mmm..? What's wrong? I can still go on but if we should then let's take a little break as Amaranth suggested." Said Reyna a little annoyed but nevertheless look behind and at her sides searching anything out of place as Mardra points out that they may be followed.

Perception check to look for enemies, pursuers, or anything relevant: [roll0]

NeoSeraphi
2018-05-29, 01:49 PM
Reyna notices a decrepit wolf stalking behind them. The creature appears to have lost some of its fur, and the flesh beneath it is grotesque and swollen. Maggots feast on it even as it sniffs the air, looking for them.

JonRG
2018-05-30, 05:52 PM
Stefan raises one hand, his other tightly gripping the cane. "I could use a rest, personally." He discreetly looks back and sees the wolf stalking behind them. "Right. That's bad. What's the play?"

[roll0]

Aleister VII
2018-05-30, 10:21 PM
"Poor thing... it reminds me the dog we used to had back when I was a child but more undead... Anyways let's just get as comfy as we can for awhile, after all if we're gonna rest let's rest with style." Commented Reyna.

NeoSeraphi
2018-05-30, 10:23 PM
The wolf stalks closer and snarls. It seems angry at them.

Kallimakus
2018-05-30, 11:36 PM
"I think the wolf isn't going to wait until we are all rested. Minerva says, turning to face the wolf and readying her shield, the fingers of her hand brushing against her holy symbol.

Aleister VII
2018-05-31, 02:23 PM
"Does it really want to attack us? If that's the case I guess it's up to us to end his suffering, not that I really mind." Said a carefree Reyna but didn't attack or do anything hostile towards the wolf right then buy instead she waited for her companions reaction to the wolf, of course that if no one does anything she is more than ready to put it out of it's misery with her Eldritch magic.

Move: none.
Action: Ready Eldritch Blast if the wolf gets closer to her or any member of the party.

Kallimakus
2018-05-31, 03:46 PM
"It is an abomination." Minerva says, raising her holy symbol, a brass sun disc polished to a gleam. "O Sun, cleanse this abomination!" she calls out, calling forward a pillar of flaming light to strike at the zombie beast.

"Be careful" she says, "A twisted abomination like this could not occur naturally. I fear its master may be near."

Casting Sacred Flame as my action for [roll0] radiant damage. DC 13 Reflex
I have no idea what sort of gods exist here, and the srd is quite opaque about it. So I imagine Minerva worshipos a Sun deity, all about guarding the world against darkness and cleansing the world of impure and abomination.

JonRG
2018-05-31, 08:32 PM
Despite the situation, Stefan finds a smile on his face. "Fear not, my vertically-challenged friend!" he calls out. "This creature will be no match for us!" Stefan draws his rapier and advances four paces, waiting to strike the wolf if it gets within range.

Bonus: d6 inspiration die for Madra, needs to be used in the next 10 minutes.
Move: Advance 20' (so the dwarf can join me if she do stabs)
Action: Held, ready to stab if the wolf gets close.

CaoimhinTheCape
2018-05-31, 09:49 PM
Mardra shoots an annoyed glance at Stefan but she quickly focuses on the battle. "Let's give mercy to this beast." She moves up next to Stefan and draws her two shortswords, holding them ready.

Ready my two shortswords for an Attack, if the wolf comes into range.

NeoSeraphi
2018-05-31, 09:51 PM
The wolf launches itself forward, intending to bite Minerva, but her allies quickly respond.

Roll your readied attacks

JonRG
2018-05-31, 10:20 PM
Stefan snarls and lashes out with his rapier.

Rolling in OOC because that didn't work!

Hit AC 15 or lower for 3 damage

Aleister VII
2018-06-01, 07:15 PM
Reyna immediately unleash a cracking beam of eldritch energy towards the wolf, hopefully killing it before it can harm any member of the party.

Attack roll: [roll0]
Damage roll (if hit): [roll1]

CaoimhinTheCape
2018-06-01, 07:31 PM
Mardra slashes forward at the wolf with both swords.

Left Sword: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Right Sword: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

NeoSeraphi
2018-06-01, 08:38 PM
The creature growls weakly and attacks Stefan!

[roll0]
[roll1]

JonRG
2018-06-02, 05:17 PM
"Take one side. I'll take the other," Stefan mutters to Madra before elegantly sidestepping to harry the wolf's left flank.

Bonus: N/A
Move: Adjust to be on one side of the wolf.
Action: Hold attack until Madra gets on its other side.

CaoimhinTheCape
2018-06-02, 10:02 PM
"Done." Mardra carefully moves around the wolf into position, and then strikes with her two swords.

Left Sword: [roll0]
Advantage: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Right Sword: [roll3]
Advantage: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]
EDIT: Should be 5 damage instead of 7.

JonRG
2018-06-02, 10:31 PM
Stefan grins and strikes with the rapier as Madra lashes out with her blades.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Kallimakus
2018-06-03, 12:19 AM
Minerva backs away from the oncoming wolf on instinct, proffering her sun disc as though it could ward her against the creature. She wouldn't have to count on divine protection. Her allies were right hereto fight by her side. Calling once again upon the power of the sun, she gives the monster another dose of cleansing light.

Casting another Sacred Flame. [roll0], DC 13 Dex save

NeoSeraphi
2018-06-03, 12:24 AM
The radiant light from Minerva's attack brings the already wounded creature down. The tired group looks around, seeking to determine if there are more creatures, but they see nothing.

"What was that?" Florence demands, startled. "I've never seen an animal behave so aggressively."

Kallimakus
2018-06-03, 12:34 AM
"It was no longer an animal" Minerva says, turning to Florence. "Some evil has slain it and roused it as a servant to its own ends. Is anyone injured?" she asks.

She takes a moment to think. "I felt a bit drained before that creature appeared. Still do, in fact. It... It might be the mist? Regardless, if it is safe we should take that break now.

JonRG
2018-06-03, 01:12 PM
Stefan shakes his head. "It tried, I think." He glances ahead down the road, then back the way they came. "Could be the mists. Hard to say. Every domain in Barovia's different. Regardless, I don't think we'll be safe out here, anywhere. It might be wiser to hurry to our destination."

Aleister VII
2018-06-03, 08:40 PM
"That was a monster to say the least Florence, if we run into another one just stay calm and let us handle it, that aside... I agree with Minerva, this mist isn't natural and neither that monster, I learn a few things about necromancy when I assisted to the wizardry academy but my memory is a little blurry as I was more focused in the Evocation class..." Stated Reyna as she tries to remember the lessons about necromancy at with she didn't pay much attention, after all, Warlocks don't need to study in order to cast magic.

Arcana check to remember useful information regarding undeads animals or similar topics: [roll0]

CaoimhinTheCape
2018-06-04, 12:37 PM
As Reyna investigates the creature, Mardra has her eyes on the surroundings. Through the mist she tries to find the safest path to a place they can rest and, if possible, understand more of this mist.

Survival: [roll0]
Disadvantage: [roll1]
+1 For inspiration

NeoSeraphi
2018-06-04, 02:12 PM
Mardra finds a small alcove in the trees where they can rest.

The mist starts to clear, as most of it moves on to the road behind them. For now, it appears, the only way available to them is forward

JonRG
2018-06-06, 10:38 PM
Stefan looks between the road ahead, the mists behind, and the sanctuary Madra had located. "Not bad, as far as resting places go. I'd prefer shelter, but... I don't think we'll get far, exhausted as we are. I say we rest until it becomes too dangerous to do so. Sound good?" If there are no objections, Stefan will help however he can in making camp and also arrange shifts to keep watch.

NeoSeraphi
2018-06-07, 07:29 AM
The group makes camp. Those who are not watching rest.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

The night passes without incident. Those who felt ill have recovered by morning.

Aleister VII
2018-06-07, 09:47 PM
Reyna yawns loudly being still half sleep but quickly comes to her senses and ask her maid to prepare her clothes and adventuring gear including the spear that she carries around just for show, she also sends Florence to see if her adventuring partners need something.

Kallimakus
2018-06-08, 01:32 PM
Minerva wakes up early, ready to greet the rising Sun. She is fine, feeling excellent compared to a day ago. She is ready to push on.

NeoSeraphi
2018-06-08, 03:21 PM
The group approaches the end of the Svalich Woods after a few hours. They come to a large river that seems to run for miles in both directions. The group spies a bridge in the distance.

JonRG
2018-06-08, 03:56 PM
Stefan rises slowly. He slept poorly, jitters from sleeping outside for the first time in many nights, so when Florence comes by, the young baron mutters something about coffee before packing up his things. He sort of lingers at the back of the group.

Aleister VII
2018-06-09, 07:12 PM
Reyna observed the bridge at the distance and immediately makes a comment about it.
"There's a bridge there, we should take a closer look, you know what they say about the bridges falling down..." commented Reyna as she polishes her nails.

NeoSeraphi
2018-06-09, 07:13 PM
As Reyna approaches the bridge, she passes by a bush. Suddenly, she feels a knife poking against her back.

"Your coin purse or your life," a voice whispers as a man stands up behind her.

JonRG
2018-06-09, 08:20 PM
Stefan's eyes narrow. His fingers twitch through hard-practiced gestures, and arcane words trip melodically from his lips, almost like a song.

Casting Charm Person. We're not fighting him, so it's a regular Wisdom save DC 13 or become my friend. If this doesn't work, I guess we rumble.

Once the casting is complete, Stefan smiles. "Come now, my friend. There's no need for violence. Put down the knife, and we'll talk this out. Sound fair?"

NeoSeraphi
2018-06-09, 08:22 PM
Thief's Wisdom save: [roll0]

The man turns to Stefan and glares. "Take one step, any of you, and the pretty lass here loses a lung."

His grip on the knife tightens.

CaoimhinTheCape
2018-06-09, 09:59 PM
Mardra stays silent but grips her weapons as the man appears, keeping them sheathed. She eyes the others and tries to let them know she's ready in case a fight breaks out.

She studies the man, trying to learn anything about him from his appearance - if he is skilled in magic, a seasoned brigand, or a simple commoner on rough times. Most importantly, if he has any apparent weaknesses.

NeoSeraphi
2018-06-09, 10:09 PM
The man appears to be a seasoned thief, with an extra blade in one pouch on his leg, a set of tools on his belt, and the purses of at least two other unsuspecting individuals.

Kallimakus
2018-06-10, 01:51 AM
Minerva was lost. She didn't know what to do. Her priestly training had entirely neglected the way to deal with an armed robbery and a hostage situation. She did not want to start casting a spell, nor did she dare to approach. In either case, the man could easily make good of his threat before she could finish. Of course, should worst come to worst she could, hopefully, undo the damage done. Left without offensive abilities, that left trying to find a peaceful resolution. "Let's stay calm and try to talk our way out of this, right? No need for anybody to get hurt, right?"

If only Minerva was any good at persuasion…
[roll0]

NeoSeraphi
2018-06-10, 01:54 AM
The thief nods. "Of course there's no need for anyone to get hurt. All she has to do is drop her purse and I'll let you all go."

CaoimhinTheCape
2018-06-11, 08:14 PM
"Do as the man says," Mardra calmly agrees. "I don't enjoy losing money either, but we all want to just get on our way."

Aleister VII
2018-06-12, 07:56 AM
An angry expression appears in Reyna face she obviously wasn't too fond of her current situation but has stayed fairly calm so far but she has already get enough of this...

"Flee." Commanded Reyna with authority as she cast the command spell on the thief with a somewhat twisted smile now on her face.

NeoSeraphi
2018-06-12, 03:34 PM
Wisdom save: [roll0]

The cutpurse turns and scurries off, leaving the path to the bridge clear for the group.

JonRG
2018-06-12, 03:55 PM
"Oh no you don't," Stefan says through clenched teeth as he gives chase. He was an arcanist too, and damned if he was going to be shown up by some pampered princess.

Move: 30 feet
Action: Cast Hideous Laughter (DC 13) Come on, dice gods, gimme some love!
Bonus: OOCly letting Aleister VII know that we cool and Stefan is just a sourpuss. :smalltongue:

NeoSeraphi
2018-06-12, 04:14 PM
The thief glances back at Stefan with annoyance.

[roll0]

The spell works, and the man stops and begins to laugh to himself.

Aleister VII
2018-06-12, 07:36 PM
Reyna limited herself to smirk at the picture of the thief laughing like he's about to wet his pants, a sadistic side of her screams "HUMILIATE HIM!" or that kind of stuffs but she must behave herself and be a good adventurer... so she decided to first ask her teammates before doing something awful...

"Should we punish this little wannabe thief? Otherwise he'll do this again to less capable travelers, you know." Commented the proud warlock with the previously mentioned smirk on her face.

OOC: I'm thinking what horrible things should Reyna attempt to do with the poor guy... I accept suggestion.

JonRG
2018-06-12, 09:15 PM
"Would be wise. I mean, he could do this to us again." His gaze flicks to Reyna. "You'll want to let the others approach before you start in. Harming the target tends to ruin the joke, and he loves to run."

CaoimhinTheCape
2018-06-13, 06:34 PM
Mardra stays quiet but keeps a grip on her two shortswords. She moves toward the front of the party slowly, hoping to be in reach if the man overcomes the fit of laughter. She has no interest in humiliating the man, but if he could be a threat to others they may want to deal with him.

Ready action to attack if the man comes back into range of the party.

NeoSeraphi
2018-06-13, 08:39 PM
The man pauses and tries to resist the spell once more, but he cannot and continues bawling uncontrollably. Tears fall from his eyes indicating that the action is causing him some measure of pain.

JonRG
2018-06-13, 10:33 PM
Stefan glides forward another ten yards, rapier at the ready.

Moving next to him and holding an action to attack when he stops laughing because I want the advantage for attacking him while prone.

NeoSeraphi
2018-06-13, 10:35 PM
The man does stop laughing and starts to stand up, where Stefan gets his free attack.

JonRG
2018-06-14, 05:49 AM
Stefan attacks!

Attack 1: [roll0]
Attack 2: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

NeoSeraphi
2018-06-14, 06:21 AM
Stefan attacks and the thief winces in pain. He starts to flee again.

Kallimakus
2018-06-14, 01:23 PM
It appeared that the decision was made. Minerva had been wracked with indecision, not sure if it was going to come to combat. Now that the choice was made, a weight lifted from her chest. She chants a prayer, calling down the searing light of the Sun to burn the bandit that did not see that he had overreached himself. She had given him a chance, she tells herself.

[roll0] damage, Dex save negates

CaoimhinTheCape
2018-06-14, 09:04 PM
Grunting, Mardra drops her shortswords and pulls out her longbow. Muttering to herself, she pulls back an arrow. "Don't much like him coming back to harm us another day."

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

JonRG
2018-06-14, 09:15 PM
Stefan cups his hands around his mouth and shouts after the thief, "Run all you like, you're still a bloody failure!"

Casting Vicious Mockery. DC 13 Wisdom save or take [roll0] psychic damage and have disadvantage on his next attack.
Moving up 30 ft.

NeoSeraphi
2018-06-14, 09:25 PM
The man takes a blow from the bow and tries to shake off Stefan's shouting.

Wisdom [roll0]

He continues to flee.

Kallimakus
2018-06-15, 12:51 AM
"Do you think he has learned his lesson?" Minerva asks, watching the man run. She has no burning need to extinguish this man's life, especially if it meant trying to track him far away. "We were going somewhere, after all"

CaoimhinTheCape
2018-06-15, 09:22 PM
Mardra nocks another arrow but holds it, trained on the thief. "Let's hope he does. I'd rather not have someone with a vendetta against us."

JonRG
2018-06-17, 12:01 PM
Stefan nods, sheathing his rapier. "Let us leave him. If he returns to harass us again, then we do what must be done."

NeoSeraphi
2018-06-17, 12:06 PM
The group heads across the bridge. Across the bridge, they can see a small, quiet town looming over them. This town appears to be the same one mentioned in the letter they received.

It is still early in the day, so there is no rush to get to shelter if the party has other intentions.

Kallimakus
2018-06-19, 11:38 PM
Minerva is relieved to finally be here, and seeing the small town loom ahead fills her with purpose. This is why they came. She strides ahead with purpose. It is early, so there is still time to get to it today.

NeoSeraphi
2018-06-20, 09:20 PM
Tall shapes loom out of the dense fog that surrounds everything. The muddy ground underfoot gives way to slick, wet cobblestones. The tall shapes become recognizable as village dwellings. The windows of each house stare out from pools of blackness. No sound cuts the silence except for mournful sobbing that echoes through the streets from a distance.

The streets contain houses, and there are multiple areas for you to explore and discover with a Perception check. If you're interested in looking for something specific, let me know and I will let you know if it is in this town. This is the town you recognize from the letter, so Burgomaster Indirovich should be awaiting the party somewhere here.

JonRG
2018-06-20, 09:39 PM
Stefan strides forward, leaning on the cane for support. His eyes rove the streets for people. It was always a good idea to learn a new domain's eccentricities whenever one traveled. The Nether Woods killed many an unwary visitor over the years.

[roll0]

NeoSeraphi
2018-06-20, 09:42 PM
The streets appear to be empty, coated in a thick fog. Silence lays heavy, save for the solitary person crying to themselves loudly. Many of the windows and doors appear boarded up, though Stefan could reasonably approach any house and give it a quick knock.

JonRG
2018-06-20, 10:18 PM
Stefan shrugs. No sense in bothering somebody if the Burgomaster could answer just as well. Speaking of... he had been pretty upset about his little lady, had he not? "Well, I suppose we should find our nobleman. Probably off that way, if I don't miss my guess." Stefan gestures in the direction from which the crying can be heard.

NeoSeraphi
2018-06-22, 04:46 PM
A moaning sob floats through the still, gray streets, coloring your thoughts with sadness. The sounds flow from a dark, two-story townhouse. The windows are boarded up.

CaoimhinTheCape
2018-06-22, 10:25 PM
[roll0]

Mardra is specifically looking for anyone to get directions from and to find the source of the sobbing.

Mardra is on alert as they walk through town but takes the most interest in the sobbing sounds. Having seen no one else, she looks up at the house. "I think we should try to help them, it appears no one else will."

Kallimakus
2018-06-24, 04:06 PM
Minerva wanders through the fog, hoping to follow her allies and find a place to go. She stops with Mardra and nods at her words. "This is unnerving" she mutters, but nods. "Let's see this out, then try to find our employer, maybe?"
She adds the last part hopefully.

JonRG
2018-06-24, 04:17 PM
"It could very well be our employer, for all we know. Let's find out." Stefan raps on the door with the head of his cane.

NeoSeraphi
2018-06-25, 12:19 AM
No one answers the door, but the sobbing continues. A quick tug on the door reveals it to be locked, and any attempt to force the door open demonstrates that there is something heavy behind it.

CaoimhinTheCape
2018-06-25, 08:31 PM
When the door doesn't open, Mardra jogs around the house, looking for another entrance. If she is not able to find any she starts attacking a window to make an entrance.

NeoSeraphi
2018-06-25, 08:48 PM
Mardra is able to break the boards off a window and climb inside. The house seems to be eerily empty. In the kitchen there are plenty of spoiled foods and a set of dirty dishes. A thick layer of dust covers the furniture throughout the first floor. The door has been held shut by a couch pushed up against it from the inside. The sobbing seems to be coming from a room at the top of the stairs.

CaoimhinTheCape
2018-06-27, 07:58 PM
Mardra tries to stay quiet as she first enters the house, waiting to see if her companions are following. If they would rather not go through the window she motions toward the door and goes to move the couch.

NeoSeraphi
2018-06-27, 08:17 PM
Mardra is able to unblock the door and open it with ease. The group enters the house proper.

JonRG
2018-06-28, 10:34 PM
Stefan clears his throat, remaining to the back. "Wait. The Burgomaster summoned us. Even in his grief, he should be eager for visitors. His wife's would-be saviors. This... smells wrong. Perhaps we should leave." He left the 'while we still can' unsaid. Best not to tempt fate.

CaoimhinTheCape
2018-06-30, 09:18 PM
"It is possible the Burgormaster would be able to provide support in this." Mardra nods at Stefan's words, but turns when she hears the sobbing again. "But I would like to stay and help whoever is here."

Mardra waits for input from their other companions.

OOC: Just to be clear, did we actually see anyone else in town ignoring this or was there absolutely no one?

NeoSeraphi
2018-06-30, 09:21 PM
So far, the town has appeared completely empty. The streets, certainly.

Kallimakus
2018-07-01, 02:56 AM
It was unnerving. The empty, foggy streets were getting to Minerva. While she was nervous about the sobbing, that was eclipsed by her wanting to just have some clarity to the situation. "We already came here" she says, "we should see this through…. Someone want to go first?"

JonRG
2018-07-01, 10:18 AM
Stefan sighs breathily with a roll of his eyes. "It seems I have been outvoted. Very well, but on your guard." He slides the sword from his cane, tucking the hollow body into his belt. Stefan waves a hand forward in an abbreviated gesture, as if to say, "After you."

Kallimakus
2018-07-01, 12:07 PM
Looking at her companions and seeing no volunteers, it devolves into a little awkward silence, broken by Minerva, exasperated. "Fine! I'll go first." she shouts, voice edged with fear, before storming up the stairs before she has a chance to come to her senses, muttering something about cowards

NeoSeraphi
2018-07-01, 12:15 PM
Minerva opens the door to find an older woman kneeling in the middle of a quiet bedroom. Her hands are clasped tightly around a small doll and she is sobbing and whimpering uncontrollably.

Kallimakus
2018-07-01, 12:45 PM
"Umm..." Minerva starts, her fears alleviated briefly until she realizes that they are effectively breaking and entering. "What seems to be the problem?" she asks.

NeoSeraphi
2018-07-01, 12:47 PM
The woman remains motionless on the ground, clutching the doll and crying loudly. The window in the room is open and it looks like she might be cold.

Minescratcher
2018-07-01, 02:12 PM
Eldon follows Minerva up the stairs, stopping behind her and peeking into the room around her leg. He carefully scans the room, looking for anything that might be off.

"Well, is there anything we can do for you? Are you cold?"

If the woman still doesn't respond, he moves to close the window, muttering something about drafts in the fog.

NeoSeraphi
2018-07-01, 02:13 PM
The woman looks up at Eldon with a sniff.

"She's gone...my little girl...is gone."

Minescratcher
2018-07-01, 02:17 PM
"I... I am sorry." Eldon falls silent for a moment, unsure of anything else to say.

After a moment, he continues. "Do you have any idea what happened?"

CaoimhinTheCape
2018-07-02, 09:33 PM
Mardra is cautious as she enters the room but any worry melts when the missing daughter is mentioned. She echoes Eldon's words. "Of course. We would be happy to help look for her."

NeoSeraphi
2018-07-02, 09:43 PM
"She is...she must be dead already." The woman shakes sadly. "I kept my precious little Gertrude up in her room all her life. I kept her safe from the fog, from the beasts. And then I came to her room to give her her supper and I found her window open...she's gone. That was one week ago now. No one's seen hide nor hair of her since..."

JonRG
2018-07-04, 11:12 AM
Stefan sighs heavily, able to see which way the wind is blowing. "What can you tell us about this phenomenon that took your daughter?"

NeoSeraphi
2018-07-04, 11:58 AM
"She just left...no one took her."

Minescratcher
2018-07-04, 02:09 PM
"Of her own free will? Do you know why she might have done this?"

NeoSeraphi
2018-07-04, 02:18 PM
"Perhaps she just wanted to see the world? Or perhaps something was calling to her... the mist has a voice, you know?"

Kallimakus
2018-07-04, 03:59 PM
"What are these beasts you spoke of?" Minerva asks, "I saw nobody outside. Do you know why?"

NeoSeraphi
2018-07-04, 04:14 PM
"Wolves. They come every night. Disgusting, ugly creatures. Sharp fangs. Rotting flesh."

She sobs and looks down at the doll.

"Save her...please, bring my Gertruda back to me."

JonRG
2018-07-06, 05:33 AM
"How old is she? What does she look like?"

NeoSeraphi
2018-07-06, 06:27 AM
"Fifteen. She has soft brown hair and likes to wear dresses. She's a bit short for her age."

JonRG
2018-07-06, 11:15 PM
Stefan smiles warmly. "She sounds like a lovely girl." With some effort, he strides across the room and lays a hand on the woman's shoulder. "We'll do everything we can to find her for you, all right?"

NeoSeraphi
2018-07-06, 11:23 PM
The woman nods and the group leaves her to her business.

Outside, they find themselves staring at a dark set of clouds. The rain begins to pour, hammering the streets. They are the only ones out to be pelted by its cold rage.

Glancing around for some sign of shelter, the group spies two areas that have lights in their boarded up windows. One of them appears to be an inn or tavern of some kind, and the other a general store.

JonRG
2018-07-08, 02:05 PM
Stefan bristles, then shakes off whatever thought was burdening him. "The tavern will be the most likely to yield information about the Burgomaster and the girl, not to mention allow us a place to stay." He walks towards the tavern, gesturing for the others to follow.

NeoSeraphi
2018-07-08, 02:08 PM
The group enters the tavern.

They find a group of young women sitting by the fireplace, three human women whispering to one another.

Sitting at the bar is a quiet man polishing a glass. As soon as he finishes cleaning one, it is replaced by another. His rag is pitch black with grease and oil.

The only other person in the tavern is an attractive young human man with silver hair. He is nursing a drink near the door.

Minescratcher
2018-07-08, 05:28 PM
"Greetings, friend tavernkeeper," Eldon says. "Have you rooms available for our group?"

NeoSeraphi
2018-07-08, 11:36 PM
The man looks up.

"What are you drinking?" he asks flatly.

"Yeah. I have two rooms available. Two silver each."

Kallimakus
2018-07-09, 11:30 AM
"We're going to want both, right?" Minerva asks the rest of the party, before taking out to silver coins from her purse, to pay for one of the rooms and ignore the question about drinking. The answer was wine, though.

Deducted 2sp from my wealth

JonRG
2018-07-09, 01:01 PM
"Sold," Stefan replies. He reaches into his purse and places two silver on the counter. In a slightly lower voice he says, "Tell me, friend. Do you know the way to Burgomaster Indirovich's home?" Wine could wait. For now, they had a considerable fortune to earn... and perhaps a little girl to find if they came across her.

CaoimhinTheCape
2018-07-09, 08:08 PM
Mardra stays quiet as they enter the inn and her focus shifts away from the owner and to the other locals. She tries to notice what they are doing and any clues about who they are.

[roll0]

NeoSeraphi
2018-07-09, 08:09 PM
The man looks surprised by Stefan's question. He nods over to the lone man near the entrance.

"Ask him."

Kallimakus
2018-07-11, 11:43 PM
After paying the tavernkeeper, Minerva decides that it was time to get back on track with the mission. There was the matter of the missing girl, but that could well wait.

"Greetings" she says, "The tavernkeeper said that you knew where Burgomaster Indirovich lives. Could you tell us?"

NeoSeraphi
2018-07-12, 09:38 AM
https://feyancestry.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/04-ismark.png

The man looks up with surprise. "You seek the Burgomaster's home? . . . I am sorry to tell you, my friends, but the Burgomaster has passed away."

JonRG
2018-07-12, 06:56 PM
Stefan starts but manages to keep his cool. "I'm very sorry to hear that. When did he die?"

NeoSeraphi
2018-07-12, 07:02 PM
The man looks down with a solemn frown. "Three nights past. I...I am his son. Ismarck Indirovich. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I am not much of a welcome, but please, allow me to buy you all some drinks. If you are acquainted with my father, then you are certain to be accepted and appreciated here in Barovia."

Ismarck orders a round of wine for the table.

CaoimhinTheCape
2018-07-14, 07:37 PM
The man looks down with a solemn frown. "Three nights past. I...I am his son. Ismarck Indirovich. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I am not much of a welcome, but please, allow me to buy you all some drinks. If you are acquainted with my father, then you are certain to be accepted and appreciated here in Barovia."

Ismarck orders a round of wine for the table.

Mardra nods in thanks for the drink but does not sip from it yet. She takes out the note from the Burgomaster and passes it to Ismark.

"Your father summoned us here to help with this. We have traveled since receiving the note yesterday to find him. Did you know if he sent for anyone to help find this Ireena?"

NeoSeraphi
2018-07-14, 11:15 PM
Ismarck looks over the note for a single moment before he tosses it back to the group.

"This is not my father's handwriting. And what sort of old Common is this, anyway? No one speaks nor writes like this anymore, and hasn't for centuries. You've been had."

He looks surprised at Mardra's last statement though. "Wait! But...you're here to help Ireena? Well...my father isn't around to reward you anymore, but I will! If you can help Ireena, if you can save her life, then anything...I'll give you anything and everything I have!"

The man stands up and slams his hand down on the table. "I swear it! On my father's fresh grave! Please, save my sister!" he begs the group.

Minescratcher
2018-07-15, 08:26 AM
Ismarck looks over the note for a single moment before he tosses it back to the group.

"This is not my father's handwriting. And what sort of old Common is this, anyway? No one speaks nor writes like this anymore, and hasn't for centuries. You've been had."

He looks surprised at Mardra's last statement though. "Wait! But...you're here to help Ireena? Well...my father isn't around to reward you anymore, but I will! If you can help Ireena, if you can save her life, then anything...I'll give you anything and everything I have!"

The man stands up and slams his hand down on the table. "I swear it! On my father's fresh grave! Please, save my sister!" he begs the group.

"Of course we'll help you. That's what we came here to do, after all!" Eldon responds, picking the note back up off the table. "Can you tell us more about the situation with Ireena?

NeoSeraphi
2018-07-15, 11:09 AM
Ismarck glances around.

". . .I can't tell you here. Let us travel to my home, please. It is not far."

Kallimakus
2018-07-15, 11:28 AM
"Lead the way." Minerva says. "I'd like to hear as well."

JonRG
2018-07-16, 07:37 PM
Stefan rises to his feet, leaving what remains of his drink. He waits to follow the young lord.

CaoimhinTheCape
2018-07-16, 08:51 PM
Mardra is concerned with the new information, worrying whose hand brought them to this land but is willing to follow Ismark.

NeoSeraphi
2018-07-17, 01:28 PM
A weary-looking mansion squats behind a rusting iron fence. The iron gates are twisted and torn. The right gate lies cast aside, while the left swings lazily in the wind. The stuttering squeal and clang of the gate repeats with mindless precision. Weeds choke the grounds and press with menace upon the house itself. Yet, against the walls, the growth has been tramped down to create a path above the domain. Heavy claw markings have stripped the once-beautiful finish off the walls. Great black marks tell of fires that have assailed the mansion. Not a pane nor a shard of glass stands in any window. All the windows are barred with planks, each one marked with the stains of evil omen.

You see scores of human and wolf footprints surrounding the manor, as well as trampled weeds on the ground.

JonRG
2018-07-19, 06:30 PM
The mansion had wolf problems, decent foot traffic, and a bad (or dead) groundskeeper. No surprises for Stefan there. Clearing his throat, he chimes in, "Ismarck, do you know of a man calling himself Arrigal of the Vistani? He claimed to be delivering this letter on your father's behalf." Maybe there was some explanation to be had.

NeoSeraphi
2018-07-19, 06:44 PM
Ismarck tilts his head. "I have not. Though, it would not surprise me to learn that a false letter was delivered by a Vistani. They are not the most ethical tribe around. Their primary concern seems to be survival, at the expense of others if necessary. They have a reputation for doing anything for money."

Minescratcher
2018-07-19, 07:34 PM
"People like that are a constant everywhere," Eldon observes with some disgust. "Shall we talk inside?"

JonRG
2018-07-20, 05:08 PM
Stefan grins cheekily. "You're not wrong, but what does he get out of it? He spent plenty of coin at the bar, all to set us up with a job? There's no sense to it." Nothing logical or natural, anyway.

NeoSeraphi
2018-07-20, 11:13 PM
Ismarck knocks on the door.

"Who is there?" a brutish female voice demands.

"It is I, Ireena. Won't you please open the door?" Ismarck calls.

There is a pause, and then the door cracks open and a woman sticks her face out.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RF5b1jnB2SM/V0EGHvOVj8I/AAAAAAAAWnY/s0TYHns0HjsyPelHPCL2pd47U_1DAJbIgCLcB/s1600/Ireena.png

The woman looks around and frowns, her eyes settling on Minerva, before she steps back and allows them to enter.

The interior of the mansion is well furnished, yet the fixtures show signs of great wear. Noticeable oddities are the boarded-up windows and the presence of holy symbols in every room. The burgomaster is in a side drawing room on the floor - lying in a simple wooden coffin surrounded by wilting flowers and a faint odor of decay.

Kallimakus
2018-07-21, 01:12 AM
Minerva enters. Back at the taverna, the mayor's son had said that they needed to help Ireena. So had the apparently faked letter from the dead mayor. He certainly did not seem capable of writing it.

She greets the woman, saying "I'm Minerva." Saying 'nice to meet you' was not something she felt appropriate, under the circumstances.

She takes a look around, noting the plentiful holy symbols and boarded windows. First things first, though. She makes a small gesture over the body of the burgomaster, her fingers describing a circle, a basic benediction of Pelor.

"What happened here?" She asks

CaoimhinTheCape
2018-07-23, 08:19 PM
Mardra follows the party to the ruined mansion and is taken aback when she sees the corpse lying (relatively) out in the open. She waits for an answer to Minerva's question but tries to inspect the holy symbols on the wall, to see if she recognizes them.

[roll0]

NeoSeraphi
2018-07-23, 09:21 PM
The symbols are those of Pelor, the sun god. It seems like they are meant to ward off creatures that may attack after dark.

The burgomaster's son frowns.

"Every night, for months now, we have been attacked. Wolves and creatures with strange green skin claw at the windows and doors. We have to reboard them every day. Three days ago, my father's heart gave out from the stress and he fell ill, then did not recover. However, ever since his death, the nights have been quiet..."

Minescratcher
2018-07-25, 09:52 AM
The symbols are those of Pelor, the sun god. It seems like they are meant to ward off creatures that may attack after dark.

The burgomaster's son frowns.

"Every night, for months now, we have been attacked. Wolves and creatures with strange green skin claw at the windows and doors. We have to reboard them every day. Three days ago, my father's heart gave out from the stress and he fell ill, then did not recover. However, ever since his death, the nights have been quiet..."

Eldon's face is thoughtful, and he seems distracted by something momentarily before he refocuses.

"It's strange that your family should be singled out like this. Are these attacks the threat you and the false letter mentioned?"

NeoSeraphi
2018-07-25, 10:28 AM
Ireena and Ismarck look at each other worriedly, but they nod.

Ireena steps forward and lifts her hair out of the way to reveal two sharp, clean marks in the left and right sides of her neck. "That is correct. The creature that attacked me and killed my father...is Lord Strahd von Zarovich. A vampire."

Kallimakus
2018-07-25, 03:08 PM
"A vampire? Minerva asks, then realizing the bitemarks. "Has it bitten you as well?" she continues, realizing the implications if that were the case.

Should I roll something to see what I know about Vampires?

NeoSeraphi
2018-07-25, 03:14 PM
Ismarck nods. "Every day, Ireena's condition gets worse. That is why I asked you to help her. Please, you must try and take her to a village with an experienced healer."

JonRG
2018-07-25, 06:37 PM
Stefan's eyebrows shot up. A vampire... Fascinating. This bode ill for little Gertruda, or whatever her name had been. Ireena too. Lord Strahd had been in power... well, no one could remember a time when he wasn't, so a long time. Old and undead. Never a good combination. He clears his throat. "Did you have a particular village's healer in mind? The roads are dangerous, as you well know. Best not to tarry out there."

NeoSeraphi
2018-07-25, 06:58 PM
Ismarck nods. "The town of Vallaki, to the northwest of Castle Ravenloft, should have a healer we can call on for aid."

CaoimhinTheCape
2018-07-25, 07:40 PM
Ismarck nods. "The town of Vallaki, to the northwest of Castle Ravenloft, should have a healer we can call on for aid."

"Then we should move there as soon as possible." But even as she says this, her mind goes back to the sobbing mother. "Though there is unfinished business here. We met a woman who was missing her daughter, Gertruda. I will help bring you to safety but my mind will not rest if the girl is still missing."

Minescratcher
2018-08-04, 10:18 AM
"Then we should move there as soon as possible." But even as she says this, her mind goes back to the sobbing mother. "Though there is unfinished business here. We met a woman who was missing her daughter, Gertruda. I will help bring you to safety but my mind will not rest if the girl is still missing."

"Agreed, though we don't know that Gertruda is still here. If she is beyond the village, we should not wait here too long."

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-04, 10:31 AM
Ireena sighs. "Okay. Well, I won't go anywhere until our father is properly buried. There's a church in town that we can take his coffin to, and then the priest there can perform a proper rite."

Kallimakus
2018-08-05, 01:31 AM
"The wolves that took Gertruda come out at night, do they not?" Minerva asks. "Not only would it be unsafe to travel, we might be able to learn something. Or if there is someone wilderness-minded, maybe track them to their lair. We saw an undead wolf on our way here, perhaps these are the same?"

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-05, 07:22 AM
"You would like to wait until the morning? Very well. You are welcome to stay here for the night." Ismarck shows everyone to a room.

That night, everyone hears scratching on the glass windows. They look out into the streets and see hunched over humans with green skin wandering around, as well as wolves with rotting and decaying flesh like the one from the forest. The creatures move through the streets quickly, but do not seem to bother anyone, for now.

In the morning, the siblings are packing up and ready to go.

CaoimhinTheCape
2018-08-06, 07:14 PM
In the morning, Mardra quickly readies herself to head to the church. "If we run into the creatures again, I may be able to help. I've grown accustomed to tracking beasts, though these might be an entirely different sort than what I'm accustomed to."

JonRG
2018-08-07, 09:05 PM
"I would imagine there's little difference between a live wolf and a dead one, aside from the smell." Stefan chimes in with a shrug. He slept like a baby last night, all too used to creatures in the night. He avails himself to be helpful in whatever capacity will get things moving faster.

Minescratcher
2018-08-08, 11:03 AM
"Wolves or no wolves, we should get moving. Make use of the light while we can." Eldon packs up his things, then goes to stand by the door.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-08, 12:08 PM
The group gather together and lift the coffin up by its handles, carrying it through the grim, dark streets.

Atop a slight rise, against the roots of the pillar stone that supports Castle Ravenloft, stands a gray, sagging edifice of stone and wood. This church has obviously weathered the assaults of evil for centuries on end and is worn and weary. A bell tower rises toward the back, and flickering light shines through the holes in the shingled roof. The rafters strain feebly against their load.

The heavy wooden doors of the church are covered with claw marks and scarred by fire.

The doors open to reveal a ten-foot-wide, twenty-foot-long hall leading to a brightly lit chapel. The hall is unlit and reeks of mildew. Four doors, two on each side of the hall, lead to adjacent chambers.

You can see the chapel is strewn with debris, and you hear a soft voice from within reciting a prayer. Suddenly, the prayer is blotted out by an inhuman scream that rises up from beneath the wooden floor.

CaoimhinTheCape
2018-08-08, 08:59 PM

Mardra draws her swords as she hears the scream. Under her breath, she says, "That sounds like no wolf I've met." Louder, she calls out. "Father! Are you safe?"

JonRG
2018-08-13, 08:18 PM
Stefan wordlessly draws his swordcane and follows at Mardra's heels.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-14, 12:37 PM
The chapel is in shambles, with overturned and broken pews littering the dusty floor. Dozens of candles mounted in candlesticks and candelabras light every dusty corner in a fervent attempt to rid the chapel of shadows. At the far end of the church sits a claw-scarred altar, behind which kneels a priest in soiled vestements. Next to him hangs a long, thick rope that stretches up into the bell tower.

From beneath the chapel floor, you hear a young man's voice cry out, "Father! I'm starving!"

Kallimakus
2018-08-14, 12:45 PM
Minerva enters the chapel. She eyes the priest, startled by the cry from beneath the floor. "What is down there?" she asks, her voice tense. She had not forgotten the inhuman cry from beneath the ground earlier.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-14, 12:50 PM
The man stands up. "Ah...Ireena. You've come...but it is far too late. The gods do not answer my prayers, I cannot save you."

His eyes are weary, with dark circles underneath them. It seems like he has not moved from this spot in days, and there is a foul stench as the remnants of his defecation fill the air.

Minescratcher
2018-08-14, 01:24 PM
"What is going on here? What is that screaming from below?" Eldon places one hand in the pocket where his wand rests.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-14, 01:50 PM
The priest sighs. "That is my son. He is...not well. The darkness has infested him. He is a danger, to himself and to others."

CaoimhinTheCape
2018-08-14, 06:49 PM
Mardra's guard drops as she hears the priest speak. "Whatever darkness have overcome him, I doubt starving the poor boy is the solution." She glares at the priest as she rummages through her bag for her rations.

JonRG
2018-08-16, 05:57 AM
Stefan sucks air through his teeth. "I would wager that is not the priest's aim, and the difficulty lies in the logistics of getting food to the boy... or what he hungers for."

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-16, 03:56 PM
The man winces at Stefan's tone. "It is true. My poor boy...he is not well. He seeks to feed on blood."

CaoimhinTheCape
2018-08-16, 08:33 PM
Mardra stops looking through her bag and slings it to her back. Picking up her weapons again, she looks at the trap door. "Is there any cure for this? I mean, other than..." As she trails off she looks to her weapons.

JonRG
2018-08-16, 10:14 PM
Stefan, meanwhile, sheaths his swordcane. "Has he been afflicted with vampirism or something else?"

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-16, 11:58 PM
The priest shakes his head quickly. "No! No, please don't hurt him! I promise, he hasn't hurt anyone since he came back! I've kept him safe."

There is a low moan and more begging from beneath the floor.

Kallimakus
2018-08-18, 02:26 AM
"Fine" Minerva says, a little conflicted. "Do you know how he could be saved? And how long has he been this way?"

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-18, 03:54 PM
"I...I've tried everything. The gods have forsaken me and my boy. He has been like this for a little over a year now."

CaoimhinTheCape
2018-08-20, 08:11 PM
Mardra nods. "If he has survived this long, we can pray that he survives until a cure is found." And maybe Ireena's healer may be able to help this poor child too. "Now, Father. We are here to see about giving the Burgomaster a proper burial."

Minescratcher
2018-08-23, 05:03 PM
"I don't know... even kept pent up like this, he is a risk. But for now we do need to see about the Burgomaster's burial."

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-23, 05:38 PM
The priest agrees and begins a special ceremony. He speaks a few holy words and douses the body in blessed water. The father asks for everyone to carry the coffin out to the cemetery, where Ireena and Ismarck are each given a chance to say a few words.

The children lament their father's untimely passing, with Ismarck vowing to eventually become the town's new Burgomaster and protect the people from the strange night time attacks that have been happening.

The priest rings the bell in the tower three times, and the corpse is buried.

With that, Ireena turns to the group and smiles. "Thank you, for all your hard work. We must hurry and make our way to the healer in the closest town."

CaoimhinTheCape
2018-08-27, 07:48 PM
"Yes, Ireena." Mardra turns to the father to say her goodbyes. "Father, we will do what we can to find a cure for your son. Though I cannot promise anything, you have my word I will try."

She pauses before continuing. "We have also met a woman in town, mourning the disappearance of her daughter Gertruda. Is there anything you know about the girl, where she may have gone? Though we need to continue with Ireena, a child is still missing and I hoped you would be able to help."

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-27, 09:17 PM
The father shakes his head. "I fear I have no information on that subject. But I do thank you for putting forth some effort to help my boy."

JonRG
2018-08-30, 05:46 PM
Stefan rolls his eyes behind Mardra's back. "The lady is right. We must hurry."

Minescratcher
2018-08-30, 06:19 PM
"Let us be on our way, then." Eldon seems eager to leave the church and its captive vampire behind.

NeoSeraphi
2018-08-30, 11:02 PM
The group gets on the road and gathers into the caravan. They will need to navigate the forest behind Barovia and climb up the large hill to the cliff where Castle Ravenloft overlooks the city, and move past that towards a bridge that will take them across the water to the local cleric.

As the group travels through the woods, the sunlight is stopped by the tree branches snaking together overhead. A single low howl rings out, and a chill runs down everyone's spine.

About a mile into the woods, the caravan slows down as the group hears a strange sound, as if a musical instrument is being played nearby. The horses are suddenly sluggish, and any attempt to push them only lurches them forward another few feet.

JonRG
2018-09-01, 11:32 PM
Stefan draws his swordcane, cursing under his breath. He racks his brain for information about this particular phenomenon.

What kind of knowledge check would it be to recognize weird instruments?

CaoimhinTheCape
2018-09-04, 09:18 PM
Mardra jumps off the cart and draws her shortswords, worried for what may be causing the sound. SHe scans the area to look for the source of the music and if there are any obvious traps.

[roll0]

NeoSeraphi
2018-09-05, 12:45 AM
Mardra's excellent hearing leads her to a cove where she finds a young woman playing a lute as she sits on a log.

Kallimakus
2018-09-05, 01:26 PM
As the caravan was going, Minerva spent her time praying for guidance. She had been taught that undead were an abomination to be destroyed at every opportunity. But these people were not yet that far gone. If there was a way to save them, she would find it. That was where she had gotten when the sudden stop had caught her. She leapt down from the wagon and readied her shield, checking her mace on the belt before moving with the others to check the source of the sound. Music implied people. They would know what was going on.

"Do you think we should be wary of her?"

Minescratcher
2018-09-09, 11:34 AM
Eldon followed Minerva towards the cove.

"I should say so," he whispered. "Did you see the horses? They're about to fall asleep."

He quietly placed his hand on his wand.

NeoSeraphi
2018-09-09, 11:36 AM
The woman looks up curiously as Minerva gets closer.

"Oh my. Guests. In this forest! It's a pleasure."

She smiles. "My name is Nia. Oh, I'm so grateful some strong-looking adventurers came by. I'm having a problem, you see, and would be very thankful if you helped me."

JonRG
2018-09-09, 07:39 PM
Stefan steps forward, but he takes care not to get too close. He knew the stories. Monsters that lured travelers to their doom with a pretty face and a gentle tune. "What sort of assistance do you seek?" he asks politely.

NeoSeraphi
2018-09-09, 08:07 PM
"There is a man who has been following me. He's trying to do something untoward, I know it! Could you scare him off?"

CaoimhinTheCape
2018-09-11, 09:41 PM
Mardra is cautious as the party approaches the lute player, surprised that someone being followed would stop and rest here. She looks over the woman to try and see if she seems distressed as her words would suggest. "Tell us about this man who seems to be following you."

[roll0]

Also what race is she, is she young or old, etc?

NeoSeraphi
2018-09-12, 12:11 AM
[roll0]

She is young and human.

Mardra believes the young woman is honest and worried for her safety.

"He's about five feet, ten inches tall. He's got really big arms, and he carries an axe. I don't know why he's following me. But I'm worried he'll be able to find me since I was playing music. You found me, after all."

Kallimakus
2018-09-12, 09:22 PM
Minerva trusts this implicitly. "assuming we find this man" she says. She then looks at Stefan a bit guiltily. "Right?"

CaoimhinTheCape
2018-09-15, 07:50 PM
"We will do what we can, though we are in a hurry." Mardra looks back to Ismark and Ireena. "Though, maybe there is strength in numbers? Where are you headed?"

JonRG
2018-09-16, 10:23 AM
Despite his cynical nature, Stefan can't help but believe her tale. "Yes, unfortunately, we must conduct these two to safety. Perhaps if you traveled with us, your man might be frightened off by our presence."

NeoSeraphi
2018-09-16, 10:35 AM
The woman thanks the group for her efforts.

After about ten minutes, they hear a few branches and twigs snap, and a human man wearing a black hat and a thick brown cloak steps into view. The woman hides as she sees him approach.

He smiles politely at the group. "Begging your pardon, all, but you wouldn't have happened to see a maiden carrying an instrument around here, would you?"

Kallimakus
2018-09-20, 07:53 AM
"Maybe. Why? Are you looking for her?"

Minerva is trying to be very sly here. Trying to pass herself off as someone trying to pass herself off as someone that knows about the person. Someone looking to maybe make a quick silver or few off a gullible person.Or someone that might help if the price is right.
[roll0] Deception

NeoSeraphi
2018-09-20, 08:56 AM
The man grimaces at Minerva's sliminess. "I'm an officer of the law. She's a wanted criminal."

Minescratcher
2018-09-20, 05:03 PM
"Really? I didn't know there was much law enforcement in these parts. It's good to see it. You wouldn't mind telling us what she did, would you? Might help us figure out if we've seen her, and not someone else." Eldon scratched his chin, as if casting his mind back over the last few days. He seemed uncomfortable, but interested to hear what the man had to say.

Does he seem truthful?
Insight: [roll0]

JonRG
2018-09-20, 07:51 PM
Stefan inclines his head. "Good man. Would that were more people in the world like yourself. Tell me, whereabouts do you hail from?"

If he's put off by the others' lines of questioning, I'd like him to regard me as a friend. If he's put off by me, they can note their mutual disdain to bond more with the mark. I mean, lawman.

Persuasion: [roll0]

NeoSeraphi
2018-09-20, 07:54 PM
Eldon is not sure whether the man is being honest or not.

The man nods in reply to Stefan, seemingly glad for the man's somewhat normal behavior.

"Of course. I am an envoy of Castle Ravenloft. I enforce Count von Zarovich's authority over these woods. My name is Blaine."

JonRG
2018-09-26, 08:26 PM
"Charmed, Blaine. Could you perhaps tell us more of this woman's misdeeds, so that we may better warn those we meet on our travels?"

NeoSeraphi
2018-09-27, 09:27 AM
Blaine nods. "But of course. She stands accused of theft. She has taken the phylactery of one of Count Strahd's closest advisors."

A phylactery is a precious object that grants a lich, an undead sorcerer, eternal life. If the phylactery is destroyed, the lich's immortal soul passes on to the afterlife. As long as the phylactery remains intact, any time the lich's body is destroyed it reforms out of the phylactery a week later.

CaoimhinTheCape
2018-09-27, 06:52 PM
Arcana on phylactery [roll0]
Insight on Blaine [roll1]

Well she knows nothing.

Mardra is conflicted as Blaine explains the situation, instincts telling her to side with the law but remembering how scared Nia was. "My apologies sir, but I am not familiar with this item that was stolen. A, phylactery, was it? Would it be obvious if the thief had it on them? What sort of item would it be?"

JonRG
2018-10-05, 08:58 PM
Stefan can't remember for the life of him what a phylactery is. It didn't revolve around ghosts, which were the primary problem in the Nether Woods. He clears his throat. "What do you think her intentions would be with the item? Is it valuable?"

NeoSeraphi
2018-10-06, 10:47 PM
The man shakes his head. "I cannot reveal any information about the item, it is secret. In any case, if any of you have seen this woman, please tell me now."

Kallimakus
2018-10-07, 07:20 AM
"What will her fate be if you capture her?" Minerva asks. That the stolen object belongs to one of Strahd's advisors doesn't increase her low motivation to give up the woman, rather to the contrary. She certainly can't recognize the authority of evil.

CaoimhinTheCape
2018-10-07, 07:04 PM
Mardra looks to her companions as she gets her non answer, disliking the man more and more as he continues to talk. She frowns, standoffish, not planning to turn the woman over.

NeoSeraphi
2018-10-07, 11:33 PM
The man nods. "She will be imprisoned, of course, to prevent her from stealing again. This is for your own safety and the safety of others. Surely you don't wish to be her next victim?"

CaoimhinTheCape
2018-10-09, 09:00 PM
"I believe I speak for all of us, that we do not wish to jeopardize the safety of the good people in Barovia."

JonRG
2018-10-11, 10:16 PM
Stefan nods in agreement. "Indeed. I certainly wouldn't want her to run off with our goods. Rest assured, we will keep our eyes open."

Minescratcher
2018-10-12, 04:00 PM
"Of course we'll stay on the lookout. We would never endanger the innocent of this or any land," Eldon added. "How might we contact you should we see her? Are there others who could reach you if we cannot?"

NeoSeraphi
2018-10-13, 10:35 PM
The man sighs. "Bring her to Castle Ravenloft. There."

He points to the large Castle on the hill, and wanders off. His hunt continues.

CaoimhinTheCape
2018-10-15, 09:28 PM
"Come, let us continue on our journey." Mardra continues forward with the group, curious as to what Ireena and Ismark made of this man. She does not address Nia until they've traveled for at least 10 minutes. She looks around to make sure Blaine did not follow, before speaking. "Is it true?"

[roll0]
If the roll is high enough to spot him, then Mardra does not say the last line.