PDA

View Full Version : Which unique magic weapons/armor are with having.

frogglesmash
2018-05-26, 04:32 PM
As with many things in 3.5, the vast majority of unique magic weapons and armor are terrible. I'd like to know which ones are good, or barring that, interesting.

Thurbane
2018-05-26, 04:45 PM
Hank's Energy Bow (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a) seems to be popular, and is often considered the best bow for archery builds.

gooddragon1
2018-05-26, 04:50 PM
The sunblade (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#sunBlade) is useful imo for it's ability to be treated as different kinds of weapons.

Just having (possessor) a luckblade (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#luckBlade) gives you a free reroll.

ExLibrisMortis
2018-05-26, 05:08 PM
A few of the item sets in the Magic Item Compendium are worth using; particularly the bard and druid ones.

gooddragon1
2018-05-26, 05:56 PM
An echoblade is useful for a bard because it adds sonic damage which is the least commonly resisted energy type.

Also, the holy avenger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#holyAvenger), gives scaling spell resistance to the user and nearby allies as well as greater dispel magic. It has the drawback that you have to be a paladin, but there are UA paladins with other alignments.

Venger
2018-05-26, 06:16 PM
An echoblade is useful for a bard because it adds sonic damage which is the least commonly resisted energy type.

Also, the holy avenger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#holyAvenger), gives scaling spell resistance to the user and nearby allies as well as greater dispel magic. It has the drawback that you have to be a paladin, but there are UA paladins with other alignments.

also, umd exists.

Falontani
2018-05-26, 06:23 PM
I personally am a fan of Artificer's Monocle

Silva Stormrage
2018-05-26, 06:29 PM
Caput Mortem from Weapons of Legacy is my all time favorite item. Not because it's good as a weapon (It's basically a +1 vicious scythe) but because if you qualify for awakening it and sacrifice 1 spell slot it gives you unlimited permanent unseen servants which regenerate. Great fun.

There is also the manyfang dagger in serpent kingdom which hits four times every time it hits. Which can get silly fast.

There is also the one spear from... Arms and Equipment Guide? Which doubles you movement speed for like 10k. That can be situationally useful.

gooddragon1
2018-05-26, 06:30 PM
also, umd exists.

Umd is like multiclassing and PrC's. It doesn't exist because I've never used it.

Thurbane
2018-05-26, 06:43 PM
I personally am a fan of Artificer's Monocle

Do you hit monsters with it, or use it as a buckler? :smalltongue:

Falontani
2018-05-26, 07:14 PM
... gah its weapons/armor. Your right. I'll say my favorite custom weapon (using existing enchantments and a single command word spell)

+1 Throwing Returning Locking Garrote of Fleshgrinding and Levitation

You get it around their neck, lock it, same word that starts the Fleshgrinding starts the Levitation.

Throwing and returning are both found in MiC, and are there specifically so that you can call your weapon back to your hand if you wish.

Fleshgrinding is from Book of Vile Darkness, when commanded to it begins "grinding" into the subject's flesh, continually digging in and dealing damage as if you were still manipulating the weapon

Levitation activates and causes the weapon to levitate 10' into the air, dragging the victim upwards with it.

Silva Stormrage
2018-05-26, 07:26 PM
... gah its weapons/armor. Your right. I'll say my favorite custom weapon (using existing enchantments and a single command word spell)

You get it around their neck, lock it, same word that starts the Fleshgrinding starts the Levitation.

Throwing and returning are both found in MiC, and are there specifically so that you can call your weapon back to your hand if you wish.

Fleshgrinding is from Book of Vile Darkness, when commanded to it begins "grinding" into the subject's flesh, continually digging in and dealing damage as if you were still manipulating the weapon

Levitation activates and causes the weapon to levitate 10' into the air, dragging the victim upwards with it.

Not sure how RAW that is but that sounds like an amazing concept. What book is levitation from?

Falontani
2018-05-26, 07:54 PM
Not sure how RAW that is but that sounds like an amazing concept. What book is levitation from?

the spell levitation from the player's handbook. Requires craft wondrous items as well; by RAW everything here works except custom magic items require DM permission (by RAW)

Silva Stormrage
2018-05-26, 08:12 PM
the spell levitation from the player's handbook. Requires craft wondrous items as well; by RAW everything here works except custom magic items require DM permission (by RAW)

Well I mean levitate doesn't work on an attended object unless it's a willing creature. So thats the part I was confused about. If it could be used like that you could just pick up a fighter's armor and fling him up into the sky.

Also not sure you can have the same command word activate multiple effects on an item RAW.

Falontani
2018-05-26, 08:14 PM
ah, you are definitely correct here. I'll look into a different solution, although that was always my go to.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-05-26, 08:15 PM
The Mau-Jehe (WoL 115) Is pretty darned interesting. It's the only way I know of to get a mind blade without taking levels in soulknife, and it's the only weapon of legacy that's really worth taking.

Silva Stormrage
2018-05-26, 08:55 PM
The Mau-Jehe (WoL 115) Is pretty darned interesting. It's the only way I know of to get a mind blade without taking levels in soulknife, and it's the only weapon of legacy that's really worth taking.

Huh at will suggestion + mind link plus permanent psionic focus for a single feat? Thats pretty good.

Still I will say Caput Mortem (See my post above) is certainly worth taking for at least up until the 7th level ability. Infinite permeant regenerating unseen servants is hilariously useful.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-05-26, 09:50 PM
Huh at will suggestion + mind link plus permanent psionic focus for a single feat? Thats pretty good.

Still I will say Caput Mortem (See my post above) is certainly worth taking for at least up until the 7th level ability. Infinite permeant regenerating unseen servants is hilariously useful.You want infinite invisible servants?

Ahem. (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c)

Silva Stormrage
2018-05-26, 09:58 PM
You want infinite invisible servants?

Ahem. (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c)

Yes yes Collar of Perpetual Attendance is a simpler method but it's vastly inferior.

You have to spend a standard action for each servant and they only last an hour. On top of that they don't respawn so in combat if you get hit with basically any aoe they are all gone. Caput Mortem's come back the next round. This is certainly important for combat as the unseen servants only have 15ft move speed so if you want to have a ton of unseen servants you are limited to 30ft per round or else you will kill the servants as you move out of their range.

Overall Caput Mortem's unseen servants are a much better option for anything regarding combat or speed of use.

The collar is still a great item but it doesn't replace Caput Mortem in any real way.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-05-26, 10:01 PM
Yes yes Collar of Perpetual Attendance is a simpler method but it's vastly inferior.

You have to spend a standard action for each servant and they only last an hour. On top of that they don't respawn so in combat if you get hit with basically any aoe they are all gone. Caput Mortem's come back the next round. This is certainly important for combat as the unseen servants only have 15ft move speed so if you want to have a ton of unseen servants you are limited to 30ft per round or else you will kill the servants as you move out of their range.

Overall Caput Mortem's unseen servants are a much better option for anything regarding combat or speed of use.

The collar is still a great item but it doesn't replace Caput Mortem in any real way.The collar also doesn't require you to take permanent penalties to extremely important stats for a melee character.

Silva Stormrage
2018-05-26, 10:06 PM
The collar also doesn't require you to take permanent penalties to extremely important stats for a melee character.

To get the unseen servants you need to lose 4 hp and a single spell slot... Thats hardly crippling.

To continue this thread on topic.

In arms and equipment guide there is a javelin of disintegration which is basically a thrown weapon that activates disintegrate when it hits something then destroys itself. Not really worth it for 10k.

However, if your DM lets you forge the item out of Aurorum (BoED) which lets you reforge a weapon whenever it is broken you can reuse it constantly. Not in combat since it takes a full round to use but it makes an AMAZING way to burrow into an enemy's base or get through a wall etc etc. Bonus it works on force effects.

skunk3
2018-05-26, 10:32 PM
In my experience there aren't too many unique magic weapons that are all that interesting, but as far as armor goes, there's lots. The Mithralmist Shirt in the MIC is a great item... cheap, light, decent stats.

When it comes to weapons I think it's best to make your own or have them crafted by someone. Pick a material, apply signature traits to it, choose your +X enhancements and flat GP enhancements, do bonding rituals, use legacy rules, etc. There's tons of crap that you can do with weapons. The weapon that I'm putting together for an upcoming campaign will eventually be a +1 starmetal Greatsword with Magebane (+1), Binding (+1), Wounding (+2), Collision (+2), and Parrying (+2) but if the DM lets me used the old cost for parrying (+8,000 gp) instead, I'll get Holy on it and add Parrying and some other flat GP enhancements. Obviously that will be a long time down the road but it puts a stir my shorts to think about it.

RoboEmperor
2018-05-26, 10:58 PM
Luck Blade.

ericgrau
2018-05-27, 08:12 PM
Actually there are a lot of good ones. For core I find:

Celestial armor and the epic version, armor of the celestial battalion.
Mithral full plate of speed is like boots of speed + mithral fullplate + a 5,000 gp discount. Both were already good items.
Lion's shield. Much better deal on +2d6 damage than weapon enchantments, except it's only 3/day and DR kinda screws it.
Assassin's dagger. The save DC is low but it still averages to about the same as wounding at half the price.
Oathbow. Good damage for the price. Except maybe if your str is much higher and you can't get a similar one custom made.
Shatterspike to sunder.
Sword of subtlety for rogues.
Luck blade as mentioned.

mabriss lethe
2018-05-27, 09:35 PM

You may not need Returning, Iirc Fleshgrinding (at least the MIC version) has a return function built in after X rounds (5? I don't recall)

skunk3
2018-05-28, 01:31 AM

I don't understand how this works. The way I understand how the garrote works, you have to make a special touch attack first, then enter your enemy's square and win a grapple check and only then does the garrote work. I don't see how having throwing on the garrote would automatically mean that it works. Furthermore, the garrote automatically does damage every round until they make a STR check to remove it, or someone else removes it, so it seems to me that the Fleshgrinding enhancement isn't necessary at all. Am I just not understanding this correctly? :smalleek:

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-05-28, 09:30 AM
I'm pretty sure you'd need an animated, flying (Magic of Faerun), or dancing garrote for the above trick.

darkdragoon
2018-05-28, 11:03 AM
armor of the unending hunt- mithral chainmail is solid, fatigue and exhaustion can be a real pain

wight hide shield- spam negative levels all day

Nimblestep- psionics related

Zaq
2018-05-28, 12:30 PM
I’ve never used them in a real game, but I’ve heard that Raptor Arrows from the MIC are interesting in the right hands.

Thurbane
2018-05-28, 04:58 PM
One I only discovered relatively recently - Fleshshifter Armor (BoVD): +1 leather armor that gives Alter Self at will. A steal at 13,160gp!

Venger
2018-05-28, 05:01 PM
One I only discovered relatively recently - Fleshshifter Armor (BoVD): +1 leather armor that gives Alter Self at will. A steal at 13,160gp!

capped at 3hd, but it is still pretty cool.

frogglesmash
2018-05-29, 01:54 AM
I've always been a big fan of the Gnome Steam Bow from the Arms and Equipment Guide, it's not particularly useful, but it is interesting, and could easily be made worthwhile with a little tweaking.

unseenmage
2018-05-29, 04:41 AM
Clockwork armor (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070212a) is pretty amazing.

Anything made of Thinaun Steel so that it can steal souls is neat.
So to for Aurorum (unless the GM rules that it only reforms from Sunder RAW).

tiercel
2018-05-31, 03:58 AM
As relics go, Millenial Chainmail (SpC) means at level 7, a bit over 8k gold gets you mithral chainmail with basically always-on fast-healing 3. If you can stand being a elf and take the avocado-toast-style jokes, infinite fast healing doesn’t suck.

While we’re talking about relics, The Cudgel That Never Forgets (SpC) is just an awesome name, never mind that it contantly talks smack with a mechanical effect.

Thurbane
2018-05-31, 04:36 AM
If you can stand being a elf and take the avocado-toast-style jokes, infinite fast healing doesn’t suck.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to make those jokes! Are you from Australia, or is the millennial-avocado thing worldwide? :smallbiggrin: