PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Sorcerer Multiclassing??

maximumride36
2018-05-26, 07:09 PM
So I have an elf sorcerer and I'm debating if I want to multiclass her into anything, but I don't even know what it would be. It seems like it would be easier to just stick to single class her, but I don't know if there is a good mix via a supplement book or something. If anyone has advice on a multiclassing sorcerer, or even if there are good prestige classes that I should look at I'd appreciate it!

Zaq
2018-05-26, 07:11 PM
If you care about your magic (and as a Sorcerer, you probably should), you don't want to take any other base classes.

PrCs, as you mentioned, are another issue. A PrC that advances casting is almost always strictly superior to staying as a pure Sorc, assuming that the prereqs aren't too onerous for you.

What books do you have access to? What level are you right now? What feats do you have? What does the character do already, and what do you want them to do?

Venger
2018-05-26, 07:21 PM
have a handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?444617-Sorcerer-s-Handbook)

once you answer zaq's questions, we'll know how to help you better.

BowStreetRunner
2018-05-26, 09:05 PM
I'm assuming at this point that you are playing 3.5 and not Pathfinder. If that assumption is correct, I spent some time a while back collecting a list of Prestige Classes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?294500-The-Improved-Sorcerer) that you could dip into to advance Sorcerer casting without giving up caster levels.

Thurbane
2018-05-26, 09:34 PM
You could always dip one level into Binder, then into the Anima Mage PrC.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-05-27, 05:45 PM
If early entry shenanigans are allowed at your table, flipping the standard ultimate Magus structure could be both fun and powerful; supplementing spontaneous casting with low-level prepared casting and metamagic trickery. That might be a bit much if you're seriously considering straight-sorcerer though.

Is there anything that your character can't do easily that you'd like to?

ericgrau
2018-05-27, 06:06 PM
Generally you don't multi-class sorcerers or other casters. It's very difficult to do correctly. Prestige classing works out well, and I'm sure plenty of people here would love to give you more details if you explain what you would like to do with your character. Usually you keep all your spells and gain additional benefits, so it's a great deal. A minor drawback is your familiar stops advancing. Another drawback for a sorcerer are the prerequisites to get in. You will need to plan your feats early to meet these requirements. The only major drawback is if your fellow players aren't using prestige classes and think it's unfair that they're not as strong. But if they're already doing such things and you're a rookie learning how to keep up, then perfect. Lots of help ye shall receive here.

There are prestige classes that make multi-classing work better. For example eldritch knight (warrior-mage), abjurant champion (also warrior mage; better but starts at a higher level), mystic theurge (mage-divine), ultimate magus (mage-mage, typically sorcerer-wizard), arcane trickster (rogue-mage), and spellthief (different rogue-mage). Multi-classing is still difficult to be effective at, but it's usually a lot worse without these prestige classes.

Staying as a single class is also a perfectly fine option. Spell selection and feat selection are often more important than whether or not you use a prestige class.