PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Joining the Adventurer's League, Player Help

tmjr6
2018-05-26, 09:31 PM
Hey everyone,

Given some recent events in my personal life, I've had to take a hiatus from my normal playgroup. I still love the hobby though, and I haven't had a chance to be a player that often, and it was only this year that I've been able to be a player in the playgroup. Unfortunately, now that I'm on a hiatus, I am only behind the DM's screen for a period of time. I really would like to experience more of the other side of the screen for the time being, and right now my only option is playing in Adventurer's League. Any advice, fun builds, or ideas when playing in that environment?

prototype00
2018-05-26, 10:23 PM
From my experience (Though it depends on locale of course):

1. Make something useful. I once played with a wizard with absolutely no offensive spells. There were a lot of awkward looks when it got to his turn, ending most of the time with “Eh, I throw my dagger at it”

2. Games always overrun, 2hr adventures are a WotC fever dream. It’s usually closer to 3. gods help you if you get pulled into a 5hr session, the one I played ate up most of a Saturday once!

3. Magical loot is random (in allocation if not in publication) and you should not make a build that only blossoms when they have one specific item. Caveat: At tier 2 after some work everyone is guaranteed magical Armor and Weapons.

4. Know your role. The makeup of every session is random of course, so there is no predicting things. But from personal experience, people like to play DPS or Control types. So everyone is always happy to see a Tank or a Healing type.

Builds: Actually most of the builds suggested here by the talented forum goers work. So tell us, what would you like to play?

tmjr6
2018-05-26, 10:30 PM
4. Know your role. The makeup of every session is random of course, so there is no predicting things. But from personal experience, people like to play DPS or Control types. So everyone is always happy to see a Tank or a Healing type.

Builds: Actually most of the builds suggested here by the talented forum goers work. So tell us, what would you like to play?

Both tanks and healers are among the roles I tend to enjoy. Personally, I lean more towards liking tank characters than healers, so if that's any help I'd like to play that. Preferably something to do with a polearm, just since that's my favorite weapon option in D&D.

prototype00
2018-05-26, 10:41 PM
I do like the vHuman Totem (Bear) Barbarian with Polearm Master (1st Level) and Great Weapon Master (4th Level) wielding a Halberd or Glaive.

You Reckless Attack all the time so that you are basically twice as likely to deal hellacious Damage with both ends of your Weapon thanks to GWM. This makes you a massive target, and you’ll get hit a lot. But who cares! You resist all damage all the time. ;)

Naanomi
2018-05-26, 10:47 PM
For role playing... most of the time you won’t have the same group together, so it can be hard to have a real ‘story arc’ or development for your character; and generally won’t be forming significant relationships with your party members.

Instead, I find it easier to make a character with a memorable ‘hook’ of some kind and just roll with it in whatever the table throws at me (though such things can end up annoying if taken too far, so monitor it)

AttilatheYeon
2018-05-26, 11:22 PM
Do both. Go moon druid. Level 1 will be a little rough, but level 2 on will be great. At level 3 you can cast Healing spirit turn 1, then wild shape turn 2. Then you're a tank/healer outdoing dedicated tanks and healers. 😎

prototype00
2018-05-26, 11:24 PM
Wildshape in turn 1. You can do it as a bonus action as a Moon Druid.

ZorroGames
2018-05-27, 08:00 AM
Everybody is expecting this I know.

Mountain Dwarf Fighter, Paladin or Barbarian. Possibly ST Ranger.

Fighter ST 17, DE 10, CO 17, IN 8, WI 14, CH 8. Level 4 18 ST, 18 CO. Play with WI/CH/DE as see fit.

Variations:

Play with WI/DE if Barbarian, Shield and clothing.

Adjust CH to 14, DE 8, WI 10 if Paladin. Play with those stats until satisfied. Maybe CH 15...

Etc.,