PDA

View Full Version : How to optimize this concept

Spiritchaser
2018-05-27, 06:40 AM
Invisible striker.

I’ve created an NPC that will function as a PC in waiting for a player who may or may not eventually join us occasionally.

In the meantime she’s a useful plot device and could possibly shore up a party weakness (damage).

Background and psychology are all fairly well in hand.

Accommodating the desired playstyle is less in hand.

The desired mechanics are: a character who, for various reasons related to background, prefers, where possible, to be invisible.

It’s a spell point campaign and it’s at high level (14), so keeping invisibility up most of the day, and casting greater invisibility before most combats is a realistic goal.

The other need is that the character is a vengeance paladin (which fits nicely with the party’s need for melee damage which they lack).

So at least paladin 3 for the oath. Likely paladin 5 for extra attack, though possibly not with some multiclass options, and if paladin 5 then paladin 6.

Sorcadin seems obvious, and perfectly workable here
MC Warlock would also fit the character well and the campaign perfectly.
Bard might be a bit of a stretch, this character may have a strong personality, but she’s hardly gregarious. With some care it potentially could work but it’s definitely the least obvious fit of the three. On the other hand this would allow her to pick up nondetection as a magical secret, which would be greatly desired mechanically and even more strongly desired from a backstory point of view.

Other MCs might make sense too, though nothing comes immediately to mind.

The other characters have been permitted any and all published material plus the UA artificer, so that’ll be fine here.

MC in 2 classes is fine, but I’ve cautioned other players to avoid more than that unless they had an exceedingly good backstory, and no-one even tried.

Any suggestions on making this as functional as possible would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Unoriginal
2018-05-27, 07:00 AM
Just give her a Ring of Invisibility, Spiritchaser.

Spiritchaser
2018-05-27, 07:15 AM
Just give her a Ring of Invisibility, Spiritchaser.

Possible, but I haven’t exactly been generous with magical items in other cases.

Unoriginal
2018-05-27, 07:33 AM
Possible, but I haven’t exactly been generous with magical items in other cases.

You said it yourself: aside from a player handling her from time to time, which may not even happen, she's a plot device NPC.

Even if you're not generous with magic items, is having *one* magic ring (probably as her only magic item) too much for a relatively powerful individual?

Spiritchaser
2018-05-27, 07:37 AM
You said it yourself: aside from a player handling her from time to time, which may not even happen, she's a plot device NPC.

Even if you're not generous with magic items, is having *one* magic ring (probably as her only magic item) too much for a relatively powerful individual?

That’s a fair point

I can be hopelessly stingy with magic, and even when I’m not, that’s usually my starting point in any thought process.

I think she could have that ring...

Lunali
2018-05-27, 07:41 AM
As for bard, remember, they don't have to be gregarious any more than other CHR based casters would be. They use music to make magic and have confidence in themselves which makes it easy for them to be in the spotlight, but there are also bards that use that talent to manipulate those around them instead.