PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A 3.5 spell turning order help

Thac0 Redeye
2018-05-27, 10:54 AM
I am a little confused on the order of when things happen while using spell turning spell from 3.5 ph.

So lets say the good guy has a decent touch AC, spell resistance and just cast spell turning prepping for the upcoming fight. During the fight the bad guy casts a 3rd level ranged touch spell at the good guy. When does the spell turn happen? after the to hit roll or before the spell resist roll? etc.
Also when the spell gets turned does the good guy have to counter with a to hit roll or is it automatic? who rolls damage?
thanks

Venger
2018-05-27, 11:00 AM
I am a little confused on the order of when things happen while using spell turning spell from 3.5 ph.

So lets say the good guy has a decent touch AC, spell resistance and just cast spell turning prepping for the upcoming fight. During the fight the bad guy casts a 3rd level ranged touch spell at the good guy. When does the spell turn happen? after the to hit roll or before the spell resist roll? etc.
Also when the spell gets turned does the good guy have to counter with a to hit roll or is it automatic? who rolls damage?
thanks

Spell turning activates when you are targeted with the spell. This happens before your adversary rolls a touch attack or spell penetration.

No, you don't have to take any action. The spell treats the adversary as the target, so he rolls attack and spell penetration (if necessary) against himself to overcome his own defenses.

The damage would be rolled by the adversary, so I assume your gm would roll damage.

Thac0 Redeye
2018-05-27, 11:46 AM
Will the spell turn the first few spells cast, or can the good guy choose which to turn. The description for the ring of spell turning (3.5DMG) calls for an immediate action on the wearers part. So lets change the example. If the good guy has a ring, does he then need to do a spellcraft check? or can he wait for the spell to hit and go through SR then turn it?

Venger
2018-05-27, 12:17 PM
Will the spell turn the first few spells cast, or can the good guy choose which to turn. The description for the ring of spell turning (3.5DMG) calls for an immediate action on the wearers part. So lets change the example. If the good guy has a ring, does he then need to do a spellcraft check? or can he wait for the spell to hit and go through SR then turn it?

It works automatically. You can't apply spell turning (the spell) selectively. If you are fighting an enemy sorcerer, he uses arcane fusion, and he targets you with true strike before an orb of x, you can't say "I don't want to block true strike, I want to save my spell turning levels for orb of x" the spell automatically protects you.

well, you asked about the spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/spellTurning.htm) so that's the answer you got. you don't need to use spellcraft to identify the spell, but you can if you want to. it doesn't take an action.

you cannot wait for the spell to target you, roll against your ac, and then roll spell penetration. if you want to use the spell turning effect, it takes place when you are targeted.

where does it say the ring of spell turning is an immediate action? logically, I agree that it should be (it wouldn't work otherwise) but I don't see it on the srd or dmg

with the ring as well, it will automatically block the next 9 spell levels of spells targeted against you. you cannot apply it selectively.

let's say an enemy sorcerer uses arcane fusion then targets you with true strike and orb of x. you can't choose to let him zap you with true strike and save your levels for orb of x. once you flip it on, it will block the next 9 spell levels.

KillianHawkeye
2018-05-28, 02:08 AM
let's say an enemy sorcerer uses arcane fusion then targets you with true strike and orb of x. you can't choose to let him zap you with true strike and save your levels for orb of x. once you flip it on, it will block the next 9 spell levels.

Note that you do not cast True Strike on an enemy that you want to hit. You cast it on yourself in order to get the bonus on the next attack roll you make.

But what I find interesting is that there doesn't seem to be an exception in spell turning to allow through spells that you cast on yourself.

Also, the Ring of Spell Turning is a standard action to activate and then works automatically (as the spell). It is usable three times per day.

Venger
2018-05-28, 09:09 AM
Note that you do not cast True Strike on an enemy that you want to hit. You cast it on yourself in order to get the bonus on the next attack roll you make.

But what I find interesting is that there doesn't seem to be an exception in spell turning to allow through spells that you cast on yourself.

Also, the Ring of Spell Turning is a standard action to activate and then works automatically (as the spell). It is usable three times per day.

derp. then say it's something else. where does it specify that it's a standard action? I didn't see it anywhere.

KillianHawkeye
2018-05-28, 11:45 AM
where does it specify that it's a standard action? I didn't see it anywhere.

It says "on command". Command-activated magic items use a standard action unless otherwise noted.

Activating a command word magic item is a standard action and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Later books introduced command-activated items that used other action types. Magic Item Compendium has some examples of this, but the majority of items use the default Standard Action.