PDA

View Full Version : Player Help are there any ways to increase the reach of an attack with a reach weapon?

Red Bear
2018-05-27, 11:43 AM
Hello I have a paladin with tunnel fighter + sentinel + polearm master build. Are there any ways to increase my reach? do you have any advise in general for this build?

Contrast
2018-05-27, 11:59 AM
Ask someone to cast enlarge on you. Doesn't increase your reach but does increase the effective area covered and bonus damage on all the attacks you're making.

Honestly at this point your primary focus should be getting your strength up as I'm assuming its lagging behind if you haven't been spending ASIs on stats. More attacks are only good when you land them.

You could consider multiclassing barbarian. Reckless attacking is pretty good when people can't move close enough to attack back. It's a thing you could do but I'm not convinced thats a good idea though.

Unoriginal
2018-05-27, 12:54 PM
I think Bugbears have increased reach.

gloryblaze
2018-05-27, 01:07 PM
I think Bugbears have increased reach.

They do, but only on their turn, so it can't be used for opportunity attacks

Maelynn
2018-05-27, 01:24 PM
They do, but only on their turn, so it can't be used for opportunity attacks

Yeah, that just doesn't make sense to me. The trait is called 'long-limbed', so it's a physical aspect of your body. And yet during a reaction the arms are suddenly too short?

Mechanics-wise I get it, you don't want to make the trait overpowered by giving them basically double the area for an attack of opportunity. But it just doesn't make sense to have long arms that... suddenly can't reach the same mob it could easily reach a few seconds ago. :smallconfused:

JackPhoenix
2018-05-27, 01:50 PM
Yeah, that just doesn't make sense to me. The trait is called 'long-limbed', so it's a physical aspect of your body. And yet during a reaction the arms are suddenly too short?

Mechanics-wise I get it, you don't want to make the trait overpowered by giving them basically double the area for an attack of opportunity. But it just doesn't make sense to have long arms that... suddenly can't reach the same mob it could easily reach a few seconds ago. :smallconfused:

Eh, bugbear, like many other Volo's races, is just badly designed.

djreynolds
2018-05-27, 02:00 PM
Battlemaster lunging attack

ZorroGames
2018-05-27, 02:04 PM
Battlemaster lunging attack

I was wondering if lunging would increase the reach. Does it help Polearms?

djreynolds
2018-05-27, 02:07 PM
I was wondering if lunging would increase the reach. Does it help Polearms?

adds 5 feet, if you hit you get the SD damage

ZorroGames
2018-05-27, 03:22 PM
adds 5 feet, if you hit you get the SD damage

😳🧐🤨😎

Just wish Pike had a longer reach... lunging pike...

MrStabby
2018-05-27, 04:31 PM
Ask someone to cast enlarge on you. Doesn't increase your reach but does increase the effective area covered and bonus damage on all the attacks you're making.

Honestly at this point your primary focus should be getting your strength up as I'm assuming its lagging behind if you haven't been spending ASIs on stats. More attacks are only good when you land them.

You could consider multiclassing barbarian. Reckless attacking is pretty good when people can't move close enough to attack back. It's a thing you could do but I'm not convinced thats a good idea though.

Trouble is reckless attack only works on your turn - less good for opportunity attacks.