PDA

View Full Version : Building Hei from Darker than black (help)

OzDragon
2018-05-27, 03:34 PM
One of my favorite anime characters is Hei from darker than black.

I was wondering how you all would build him. I'm not going to throw my ideas in at this time.

Also how would you stat his rope dart which is similar to this https://www.chinese-sword.com/products/rope-dart-sheng-biao-stainless-steel
Now before you say that it is not a real weapon it has been around since the Tang Dynasty 618-907 ad.

Starting level is one but level to what you want. with Point buy. Feats and multiclass are ok but limit it to one please. I personally am not a fan of 3+ multiclass characters.

Thanks in advance.

SociopathFriend
2018-05-27, 04:04 PM
Honestly it's just going to be a Rogue or Warlock I would think. For all the joy I got out of that show- Hei's a very limited character. He stabs things, jumps around, wears a coat and mask, and electrocutes what he touches.

In the final season he even loses his powers and very literally becomes just a normal dude.

Isaire
2018-05-27, 08:33 PM
So he is kind of a tricky character to put into D&D.. Hmm. What kind of things are you looking for him to have?

Acrobatics and disguises? Being able to attack effectively with fists, and jump around with a rope with a blade attached? I'm kind of leaning to a shadow monk / rogue multiclass, but I'm not sure it's ideal. If you could persuade the DM to let you swing around on a rope as a bonus action with swift hands from thief, that could be a lot of fun but not terribly effective :D

Does it need to just fluff well or be effective in combat? How much can you negotiate with DM?

Nifft
2018-05-27, 08:47 PM
He stabs things, jumps around, wears a coat and mask, and electrocutes what he touches.

He sounds like a Rogue (arcane trickster) with Shocking Grasp and Lightning Lure. Eventually he takes Warcaster to use Shocking Grasp as a reaction.

If he also teleports behind people before saying "Nothing personnel kid", then maybe stack on Monk (shadow) 6.

SociopathFriend
2018-05-27, 09:28 PM
He sounds like a Rogue (arcane trickster) with Shocking Grasp and Lightning Lure. Eventually he takes Warcaster to use Shocking Grasp as a reaction.

If he also teleports behind people before saying "Nothing personnel kid", then maybe stack on Monk (shadow) 6.

This is basically how Hei fights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0aBBCjQk8A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXXAx47fUbE
Even in-verse it's mentioned how he's basically a one-trick. He's become very, very good at killing Contractors but he does so by stealth, planning, fighting dirty, doing the unexpected, and sometimes just running right at them and hoping it works.
He's an anime Batman- but his power is (simplified) he shocks people if he can touch them with his hands or put some conducting material in contact with them like metal or water. His coat is also bulletproof but only when he wears it. My vote is Warlock and Rogue for two reasons: One is that he can spam his ability without a forced task (so the spammy nature of Warlock fits) and two is that it's not really his power but his sister's- which he gained when she died. He later has it forcibly removed from him but gets it back when he basically saves GOD from being killed (don't ask, the last season was weird).
The fighting style indicates Rogue while the only power he has seems pretty safely Warlock. They even have an invocation which is, "I now have armor."

The Lucky feat would certainly fit with his character if you care to walk that path. Or perhaps the Mage-Killer feat if you really want to embrace his, "I kill the people who use magic" context.