PDA

View Full Version : Best wands for familiar

Iceheart2112
2018-05-27, 03:59 PM
Putting together a character with an imp familiar. Because I've got Use Magical Device as a class skill so does he (she? it?). This character is going to start at 10th level so I've got a bit of gold to spend. What would be the most useful wands to purchase for this familiar? Buffs? Magic missile?

ryu
2018-05-27, 04:03 PM
Common favorites include your favorite low level battlefield control spell that doesn't much scale with caster level. What this is could vary with expected environment and party makeup, but it's hard to wrong with a good solid barrier or fog spell.

Efrate
2018-05-27, 07:03 PM
Haste, glitterdust, grease, and summon monster 1 for kicks. Have it summon celestial trapfinding monkey ad naseum and send it to it's doom.

For kicks, it's a good spell when your imp calls it so over time it should affect the imps alignment, making it more good, by sending a summoned holy monkey to it's doom repeatedly.

Everyone wins!

Falontani
2018-05-27, 08:46 PM
For kicks, it's a good spell when your imp calls it so over time it should affect the imps alignment, making it more good, by sending a summoned holy monkey to it's doom repeatedly.

Everyone wins!

Omg yes. I will use this with my Demonologist's familiar.

Deophaun
2018-05-27, 08:47 PM
Dweomer vortex and snake's swiftness are high on my list.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-05-27, 09:23 PM
Stock up on useful cantrips and orisons that it can use all the time, like acid splash. It's amazing how often spitting a globule of acid at a rotting joist or weak joint can come in handy, after all. It can dissolve one of the chain links on that giant chandelier, dropping it onto your enemies' heads. That's sure to ruin a day or three.

tiercel
2018-05-28, 02:20 AM
Healing is a nice option. Not because in-combat healing is awesome, but because pulling someone out of negative hp (or at least stabilizing!) without a PC action is Yes.

(That said, since we are talking Imp, make sure you are good with trusting a literal devil to save your/your buddy’s life in a pinch :p)

In the same vein, resurgence (SpC) hands out saving throw rerolls like candy. (Again, because you can trust your little devil buddy with your life and your partymates’ lives! Nothing bad can come of this!)

Caylin
2018-05-28, 06:20 AM
Benign transposition is nice on a flying familiar. Can break grapples, set up charges and whatnot. Maybe also look into eternal wands for the imp to use.

Elkad
2018-05-28, 08:33 AM
Benign transposition is nice on a flying familiar.

My favorite. So many ways to rearrange the battlefield when a fast/agile familiar can trade places with anyone in the party.
Setup charges, extract people from grapples, whatever.

Darrin
2018-05-28, 10:28 AM
This list is for a warlock, but there should be plenty of overlap: 1st level wands (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=15150359&postcount=16).