PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Spells with Concentration

TheCleverGuy
2018-05-27, 06:11 PM
Looking into building a ranger for Curse of Strahd, either a Gloom Stalker or Monster Hunter, I think. But looking over the spells, I noticed that there are a ton of concentration spells on the list. I get why spells like Hunter's Mark would have the concentration tag, but why should Hail of Thorns or Lightning Arrow need concentration? Those both seem like pretty instantaneous effects.
The actual thorn or lightning effect can only happen once, right? Is it just so you can't benefit from Hunter's Mark at the same time?

Lunali
2018-05-27, 06:16 PM
In part so you can't use hunter's mark at the same time, but more importantly, it's so you can't stack multiple spells onto the same arrow.

TheCleverGuy
2018-05-27, 06:19 PM
In part so you can't use hunter's mark at the same time, but more importantly, it's so you can't stack multiple spells onto the same arrow.

Oh, that actually makes sense. Didn't think of that possible exploit. Complaint rescinded.

Edit: Actually, would that even be possible without concentration? Both of those take a bonus action, and I think work on your next weapon attack. You couldn't possibly use more than one anyway.

Crgaston
2018-05-27, 06:31 PM
Oh, that actually makes sense. Didn't think of that possible exploit. Complaint rescinded.

Edit: Actually, would that even be possible without concentration? Both of those take a bonus action, and I think work on your next weapon attack. You couldn't possibly use more than one anyway.

Hail of thorns, etc., actually work on your next hit (within 1 minute) so they can’t be wasted on a miss, and without the 1 concentration spell limit could stack as otherwise written.

TheCleverGuy
2018-05-27, 07:08 PM
Hail of thorns, etc., actually work on your next hit (within 1 minute) so they can’t be wasted on a miss, and without the 1 concentration spell limit could stack as otherwise written.

Oh I see, on hit, not on attack. I get it. Thanks.

Lunali
2018-05-27, 08:32 PM
Other possibilities without that limit, ambushes, using other actions (hide, dodge, help) for a few rounds in combat while building up spells.