PDA

View Full Version : Tieflings of Demons (And Demon Princes)

A Fat Dragon
2018-05-27, 06:45 PM
So, I have recently gotten a chance to look through Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes, and one of the things I had looked at were the Demons and Demon princes. Of course, as Yeenoghu was my favorite of the Demon Princes, I looked at his Stat Block, and his lore a bit, and I decided to make a Warlock of Yeenoghu.
In summary, I figured everything out, and even started looking at some possibly fun racial combinations, and though that Tieflings might be a fun fit. However, I later remembered that Tieflings are simply of Fiendish heritage, which means that they could be descendants of Demons, in theory. This gave me the curiosity of what a Tiefling of Yeenoghu might look like, and a Tiefling for other demons and Demon princes. I know it is probably unlikely that a Demon and a Mortal would make a Pact/union that would result in a Tiefling, but still, a bit of theorizing never hurts anybody.
So, yeah. What would a Tiefling of Yeenoghu look like in y’alls opinions, or a Tiefling of other Demons/Demon Princes?

Angelalex242
2018-05-27, 07:01 PM
Well, the large majority of demonic tieflings are going to be born of succubi, I'd imagine. As for the rest....

Just alter the stat block a bit till it fits.

A Fat Dragon
2018-05-27, 07:04 PM
I’m talking about physical appearance and such. Perhaps even mental and emotional behaviors due to possible lineage.

Though, it is good to keep in mind how stats for Tieflings may/May not change.

JackPhoenix
2018-05-27, 07:17 PM
Like a gnoll, obviously. Or, considering the demonic origin of 5e gnolls, he *will* be a gnoll.

As for other demon lords... Graz'zt has a ton of half-demonic spawn. One of them is a demigod in Greyhawk, and looks just like human (http://www.enworld.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=65952&d=1420346029). But tieflings aren't half-demons, cambions are.

And succubi/incubi aren't demons.

the_brazenburn
2018-05-27, 07:57 PM
There's a UA with demonic tieflings in it.

As for appearance, I'd go with a humanoid with something just slightly off. Maybe his eyes are just a little too hungry, or they're the wrong color or something. Perhaps his nails or teeth are a little longer than they should be. Perhaps you always get the impression that he's looking at you the way a butcher looks at a piece of raw meat.

I'd feel like this is scarier than simply looking like a gnoll.

Good luck with your character!

Unoriginal
2018-05-27, 09:10 PM
The Mordenkainen's make clear that there is no Demonic Tiefling. They are not linked to any Fiends except the Devils (so, no Succubus or Yugoloth Tiefling either).

Half-demon Cambions are a different thing.

Naanomi
2018-05-27, 09:16 PM
Which is a shame to me, locking them in to a much more limited role than in the 2e Planescape stuff I love.,. I guess Aasimar took a similar hit into specific limited fluff, only Genasi retaining their broad role as classic Planetouched races

Angelalex242
2018-05-27, 11:36 PM
The Mordenkainen's make clear that there is no Demonic Tiefling. They are not linked to any Fiends except the Devils (so, no Succubus or Yugoloth Tiefling either).

Half-demon Cambions are a different thing.

Succubi by their nature have to be getting knocked up daily and twice on Thursdays. Are Cambions the demon equivalent of tieflings then?

Marcloure
2018-05-28, 12:30 AM
"That Old Black Magic" unearthed arcana has rules for abyssal tieflings. I don't think we will see any of them as official release though, they are confirmed to be hellspawn only.

CircleOfTheRock
2018-05-28, 12:32 AM
Succubi by their nature have to be getting knocked up daily and twice on Thursdays. Are Cambions the demon equivalent of tieflings then?
Similar, except that first Cambions seem to be, one and all, evil, and more favoured by their fiendish relations (if you look at the MM) and the whole ‘all Tieflings were claimed by Asmodeus’ thing.

Envyus
2018-05-28, 12:44 AM
"That Old Black Magic" unearthed arcana has rules for abyssal tieflings. I don't think we will see any of them as official release though, they are confirmed to be hellspawn only.

Yeah I guess Abyssal Tieflings were just not well received there. So they decided to drop em.

Unoriginal
2018-05-28, 01:58 AM

No, a Cambion is an half-Fiend, a Tiefling is a mortal with a Devil who influenced their bloodline.

Dr. Cliché
2018-05-28, 10:10 AM
Perhaps this will give you some ideas:

http://www.rilmani.org/timaresh/Appearance_of_Tieflings

JackPhoenix
2018-05-28, 03:54 PM
No, a Cambion is an half-Fiend, a Tiefling is a mortal with a Devil who influenced their bloodline.

Tiefling may be half-fiends too. Random tables in XGtE in This is Your Life section give tieflings 1/2 chance that both of their parents were humans with no known infernal heritage, 1/4 chance that one parent was human and other was tiefling, and 1/4 chance for one parent being devil and the other either human or tiefling. Interestingly, there's no option for both parents being tieflings.

DracoKnight
2018-05-28, 05:54 PM

Well, the large majority of demonic tieflings are going to be born of succubi, I'd imagine. As for the rest....

Just alter the stat block a bit till it fits.

I do want to point out that Succubi/Incubi are just fiends, they're not Demons.

the_brazenburn
2018-05-29, 06:55 AM
Interestingly, there's no option for both parents being tieflings.

Interesting. Perhaps tieflings are sterile? That would fit the "curse" theme better.

Millstone85
2018-05-29, 07:05 AM
Interestingly, there's no option for both parents being tieflings.
Interesting. Perhaps tieflings are sterile? That would fit the "curse" theme better.They can't really be called sterile if they can reproduce with both humans and devils. But perhaps they are indeed cursed, to never form lasting communities all their own, and get angry when half-elves or half-orcs complain about being strangers of two worlds.

Unoriginal
2018-05-29, 07:09 AM
Note that the Mordenkainen's make clear that Devils under the rank of Archdevil cannot reproduce.

hamishspence
2018-05-29, 09:49 AM
With each other, certainly. It's not quite so unambiguous when it comes to reproducing with mortals.

A point was made in the "Asmodeus claimed all tieflings as his kin - thus altering their appearance" section of, I think, Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, is that new tieflings are still being born who are not "devil-kin".

Millstone85
2018-05-29, 10:18 AM
A point was made in the "Asmodeus claimed all tieflings as his kin - thus altering their appearance" section of, I think, Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, is that new tieflings are still being born who are not "devil-kin".My reading of SCAG was that new tieflings are being born who are not "Asmodeus-kin", but still very much "devil-kin", something that was further developed in MToF.

hamishspence
2018-05-29, 11:29 AM
It's possible. However, I would say that Xanathar's Guide oversimplifies things - more accurate options would be "one parent was X and one parent was a fiend" not "one parent was X and one parent was a devil".

That way, the offspring of cambions (fiends) and mortals, can be tieflings.

Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide includes, in its list of "variant appearances for tieflings" the option "six fingers on each hand".

Since Grazzt sires many cambions with six-fingered hands - it makes sense that those cambions go on to produce tieflings with mortals.

Envyus
2018-05-29, 05:38 PM
Note that the Mordenkainen's make clear that Devils under the rank of Archdevil cannot reproduce.

You sure. It just says that some archdevils reproduce to create Cambions and that most of them with some exceptions use the normal cambion statistics.

Devils like Erinyes and likily some others can probably reproduce with mortals to create Cambions

hamishspence
2018-05-30, 12:23 AM
Since cambions are not devils but untyped fiends,

allowing them to be produced with mortals by lower-ranked devils, doesn't violate the principle established in Tome of Foes, that devils are only brought into being by mortals becoming LE, and never by devil-on-devil reproduction.