PDA

View Full Version : Academy Of Eldritch Arts [IC]

Pages : [1] 2

JNAProductions
2018-05-27, 10:29 PM
You arrive. There are students going to and fro, but no teachers or other authority figures in sight. The long, long main hall stretches before you, as the doors to the academy close behind you.

No one is paying you much mind.

What will you do?

Illven
2018-05-27, 11:06 PM
Heather follows one of the prettier classmates.

Um... uh.... Heather remarks. I uh.... hey... um... do you... um... know. we're new students, where to... She comments standing a bit away shyly.

JNAProductions
2018-05-27, 11:16 PM
The woman, a curvaceous tiefling, snorts. "Get lost-I don't need your newbie stink on me."

Xihirli
2018-05-27, 11:23 PM
Rofa reads over her letter again, then leans over to Heather.
"My letter may not have been fully delivered to me. Did yours have any instructions?" The gray hobgoblin's red eyes looked over the human. Before beginning her journey here, she hadn't spoken with one for more than a sentence or two. On her journeys she had met many, and hadn't always liked what she'd found. But this one seemed demure, and if not friendly at least... harmless.
At the harsh words of the tiefling, Rofa's left ear twitched and she exhaled, but made no move at confrontation.

Illven
2018-05-27, 11:33 PM
Right, sorry miss. Sorry. Heather blushes looking at the floor as she backs up out of shame.

I mean not really no.... I'm not... the greatest at talking to people so that was a last resort. Heather explains to the fellow newbie.

Xihirli
2018-05-27, 11:37 PM
Rofa takes this at face value and nods.
"Well, there's a main hallway. I'm sure that was made for us to walk down." Rofa tilts her head forward, trying out a smile that had never won anyone back when she'd been involved in a hobgoblin military camp.

Illven
2018-05-28, 12:12 AM
Heather nods.

Yes, that seems a good idea, maybe signs are posted further in. She commented.

Xihirli
2018-05-28, 12:16 AM
Rofa, vindicated by the acceptance of this stranger, leads the way up the hallway. As she does so, she observes the other students and tries to mimic the way they move and fit in better.

"I'm Rofa," she introduced herself, the name fitting awkwardly in her mouth. She'd been using it for a very long trip, but it had never become natural.
"Studying medicine and herbs."

Illven
2018-05-28, 12:34 AM
I.... I'm... I would like to study divination. Heather remarks.

Xihirli
2018-05-28, 12:35 AM
"Right, right." Rofa nodded, then gave up pretending to know what that was.
"What exactly does that mean?"

Illven
2018-05-28, 01:04 AM
The magic of knowing. See divination magics allow you to... Heather starts, getting really excited

Xihirli
2018-05-28, 01:13 AM
"Okay wait. I want to hear more, but first... what is your name?"

Illven
2018-05-28, 10:55 AM
Oh. Um. My name is Heather She remarks happily, extending a hand.

JNAProductions
2018-05-28, 11:21 AM
The crowds continue to move around you two.

As you head further down the hall, you hear from behind you "Excuse me! Excuse me! Miss, you cannot wear that-Excuse me!" When you turn to look, since the male voice seems to be approaching, you see (after a few beats) a small-for-his-race gnomish man pop through the crowd, and settle in front of you.

"Ah-sorry about that. We missed your arrival-I am Adolfo Ludwig, Evoker extraordinaire!" he says, raising a small staff high as he speaks. "Anyway," he continues, lowering his staff to the ground, "I'm supposed to give you a brief tour-a pretty incomplete one, but we like students to explore-and give you some general information. You two are Rofa and Heather, yes?"

Xihirli
2018-05-28, 11:27 AM
Rofa stopped mid-shake once Ludwig notified her that he would be giving the tour. Her back went rigid as she answered his question.
"Yes, sir."

JNAProductions
2018-05-28, 11:46 AM
Adolfo laughs a little. "Don't be so serious! We're a friendly sort here. 'Sir' is appreciated, but you don't need to go all stiff on us."

Xihirli
2018-05-28, 12:35 PM
Rofa obeyed the strict letter of this and slackened her back.
”Understood, sir. We’re ready for the tour, but I don’t believe that we’re the only new students.”

lukitux
2018-05-28, 06:31 PM
Then, one of the large doors to the hallway opens slightly with a loud creaking noise. Someones head peeks out through the space where the door opened, briefly surveying the room before darting back behind the door. Anyone standing near the door can hear him talking to himself nervously

"Ok, they are all already there. That means I'm already late, but since everyone is still here that means they probably haven't started anything without me. So I should probably stop hiding behind this door and make an entrance"
Then the Half-Elf strides out from behind the door, gesturing towards the assembled people.
"Hello everyone, I am Alec. Sorry about being late, but I was briefly stopped on my way here by some bandits who I drove off with magic"
When he says that he raises one of his hands and snaps. Sparks fly from his hands, (or maybe from under his sleeves) glittering through the air before harmlessly landing on the ground.
"That was definitely why I was late and it had nothing to do with having no idea where any of the places on the address were. Now my letter wasn't very specific about what to do when we got here so... does anyone know where I am supposed to be and what I am supposed to be doing?"

The sparks were actually made by flashpaper that he had hidden inside his sleeve lit by a spark made from two tiny chips of flint attached to the fingers of his glove.

Xihirli
2018-05-28, 07:01 PM
How about a decent Insight? :smallbiggrin:

Rofa held up a hand for the other student to pick them out and join the tour.

JNAProductions
2018-05-28, 07:07 PM
"Ah, good, good. I thought there was one more. And no magic without permission! I expect no more sparkles unless told to by a teacher!" Adolfo says.

lukitux
2018-05-28, 07:27 PM
Alec walks through the crowd towards the student with the raised hand, trying not to bump into anyone. When he sees them and hears the teacher, he replies

"Sure thing, no magic unless I'm allowed to do it. Can do. So are you the other two new people? I expected there to be a few more. What are your names?"

I'm not sure if we should roll for each time something like that happens and you want to know if it is fake, but if it is my deception is +4 and my sleight of hand is +3. JNAproductions, should I roll for this, and if so how often?

JNAProductions
2018-05-28, 07:28 PM
Alec walks through the crowd towards the student with the raised hand, trying not to bump into anyone. When he sees them and hears the teacher, he replies

"Sure thing, no magic unless I'm allowed to do it. Can do. So are you the other two new people? I expected there to be a few more. What are your names?"

I'm not sure if we should roll for each time something like that happens and you want to know if it is fake, but if it is my deception is +4 and my sleight of hand is +3. JNAproductions, should I roll for this, and if so how often?

You can either use your passive Sleight of Hand, or roll with advantage. You've had poopbutts of practice with this, so advantage.

Roll every new time, or just use passive to save time.

Xihirli
2018-05-28, 07:32 PM
”I’m Rofa.” The name still didn’t feel right. She’d grow into it.
“This is Heather.”

Illven
2018-05-28, 07:38 PM
I'm.... Oh right she already said that. Heather adds shyly.

JNAProductions
2018-05-28, 07:39 PM
"Now... Well, erm... I confess, this is my first time leading one of these tours. Um..." he says, looking to the side. "You all... Hungry? Want to see the mess first?"

lukitux
2018-05-28, 07:47 PM
"Well, it's our first time taking the tour too, so I guess we're all in the same boat there. Nice to meet you all, I'm Alec and I think I also already told you that. Food sounds great though, I haven't eaten since... Well it was sometime this week. How big is this place anyways?"
I think I'll use passive to save time- which is 13 for sleight of hand.

JNAProductions
2018-05-28, 07:56 PM
"Hm... How large this place is..." Adolfo mutters, and finally answers after a few moments. "Yes. Now, onwards, to food! Could, erm, one of you take the lead? I'm a little short to make it through the crowd."

Xihirli
2018-05-28, 08:02 PM
Rofa nodded and began pushing her way forward the moment the request was made.
”This way?” Rofa asked, indicating the direction Adolfo had been about to go in.

Illven
2018-05-28, 10:27 PM
After you? Heather remarked.

Xihirli
2018-05-28, 10:48 PM
Rofa took a slight intake of breath and began moving onward, following the gnome's instructions to begin the tour.

JNAProductions
2018-05-29, 10:08 AM
Soon enough, the three of you arrive at a massive mess hall. There's a kitchen visible in back, with pots and pans going to and fro, but the only person visible back there is a bored-looking halfling woman reading a book. The mess itself is only somewhat full-it's not mealtime, so there's only snackers here.

"Just head to the kitchen and ask Sarah what she's making today-she CAN whip up stuff off the menu, but it ruffles her feathers something fierce if it's too weird! Now, if you'll excuse me, I should go... Well, talk to someone who knows better than me how to give a tour," Adolfo says, heading out.

There are three main groups of people. The first is a group of mixed races, sitting around a circular table, talking to each other and taking notes. The second is a group of elves, having soup and keeping to themselves. The third is a group of three half-orcs, hurriedly eating something meaty. There are also a few loners about, or you could sit by yourselves.

Xihirli
2018-05-29, 10:17 AM
Are any of the loners any race other than the common ones?

JNAProductions
2018-05-29, 10:40 AM
One of the loners is an Aarockocra, but the rest are more ordinary races.

Xihirli
2018-05-29, 11:15 AM
Rofa approaches the meal table and selects the most balanced meal available. Having been raised on salted meats and dried fruit, she was confident that she’d be satisfied with anything.

Illven
2018-05-29, 12:23 PM
Heather will attempt to get closer before deciding.

lukitux
2018-05-29, 12:30 PM
"Hopefully the school is more competent at teaching magic than it is at giving tours. But at least we're somewhere with food"

Alec looks in wonder at the wide variety of food available, a practical feast compared to the food available in his hometown. He eventually decides on a sandwich and some variety of salad, and looks around for somewhere to eat. He notices the group of Elves, and wonders if him being half-elf and half-human would be a problem for anyone here. He approaches the Elves and says in Elvish,

"Hi guys, the names Alec. Is this seat here taken?"

JNAProductions
2018-05-29, 12:44 PM
One of the elves looks over to Alec, then to the empty seat. "Yes," she replies, and then goes back to facing the group.

Rofa gets a finely made pork chop, along with some fresh-baked bread with butter and a small bowl of greens.

Heather, what are you getting closer to?

Illven
2018-05-29, 12:48 PM
The three groups, if I must pick one the group of mixed races.

JNAProductions
2018-05-29, 12:53 PM
As Heather approaches the mixed group, she can hear them debating heatedly. "I'm telling you, that's not how alchemy works!"

"Teacher said that's how it works, so-"

"The teacher's giving us watered-down versions! Look, here, let me show you..."

The others are all busy taking notes, occasionally asking a question or offering words.

The group consists of two humans, a man and a woman, with the woman being the one arguing from the teacher's side; a gnome of indeterminate gender; three genasi, two earth men and a fire woman; and a tiefling man, who's on the other side of the debate.

Illven
2018-05-29, 01:01 PM
Heather sits down, trying to act like she totes a part of this group.

She starts to speak but then looks at the fire genasi.

Gah, ah... Hi! Heather remarks a slight blush to her cheeks.

JNAProductions
2018-05-29, 01:25 PM
The genasi looks back to her, and asks "Do I know you?"

Xihirli
2018-05-29, 01:25 PM
Rofa takes her food and goes to sit next to the Aarakocra, having never seen one before.
”Greetings, friend.”

JNAProductions
2018-05-29, 01:26 PM
The bird-man looks over at Rofa. "Morning," he says. "New here?"

Illven
2018-05-29, 01:31 PM
M.. my n...name is Heather She lets out extending a hand, and mostly succeeding at not staring at the girl's chest.

JNAProductions
2018-05-29, 02:10 PM
"Dei," she responds, shaking Heather's hand. "Nice to meet you."

Illven
2018-05-29, 02:17 PM
S...so Dei, h.. how long have... have you been st...studying.... at the school that is? Heather asks. No idiot, you totally needed to add the school part, it isn't obvious from the context clues, you stupid useless failure.

Xihirli
2018-05-29, 02:57 PM
The bird-man looks over at Rofa. "Morning," he says. "New here?"

Rofa nods.
"Brand new. I'm not sure of the calendars here, have we arrived in the middle of the year?"
She took a bite of her pork and was somewhat put off by the flavor and the fact that it had so much.

JNAProductions
2018-05-29, 03:01 PM
S...so Dei, h.. how long have... have you been st...studying.... at the school that is? Heather asks. No idiot, you totally needed to add the school part, it isn't obvious from the context clues, you stupid useless failure.

"I've been here for a year now," Dei replies. "And... Wait, gotta listen to this."

It seems the human woman is finally backing down, and learning more from the tiefling man. Heather can listen, but most of it is too advanced for her to have a proper grasp of it.

Rofa nods.
"Brand new. I'm not sure of the calendars here, have we arrived in the middle of the year?"
She took a bite of her pork and was somewhat put off by the flavor and the fact that it had so much.

"We take new students year-round, and in general, it's kinda up to you guys to seek out your lessons," he replies. "If you really wanted to, you could sit on your butt all the time and never learn a thing-but then they'd kick you out before too long."

lukitux
2018-05-29, 03:08 PM
Alex attempts to act nonchalant about his rejection from the cool kids table. He smiles at the Elves and says
"Good to know. Talk to you all later I guess."

He then looks around the room for another group to talk to. He eventually sees Heather talking to a group that seems to be arguing about something. He approaches the Tiefling and asks

"So I've noticed that you seem to be debating something of a magical nature. I'm somewhat new to all of this and probably have a lot to learn about this subject, so do you mind if I sit here and listen in?"

Illven
2018-05-29, 03:12 PM
What....? Heather remarks clearly seeking knowledge like a drowning man seeks a liferaft.

JNAProductions
2018-05-29, 03:22 PM
Alex attempts to act nonchalant about his rejection from the cool kids table. He smiles at the Elves and says
"Good to know. Talk to you all later I guess."

He then looks around the room for another group to talk to. He eventually sees Heather talking to a group that seems to be arguing about something. He approaches the Tiefling and asks

"So I've noticed that you seem to be debating something of a magical nature. I'm somewhat new to all of this and probably have a lot to learn about this subject, so do you mind if I sit here and listen in?"

"Yeah, take a seat. Doubt you'll understand it unless you've got a pretty thorough background in alchemy, though. Anyway, like I was saying," he continues, and proceeds to disseminate what is probably some very valuable knowledge that you completely fail to understand.

The gnome scoots over to Heather and Alec, and says "You two okay? You seem... Confused."

Xihirli
2018-05-29, 03:31 PM
"Where would I go to study healing?" Rofa asked the Aarakocra.
"And pardon my rudeness, friend. I'm Rofa."

JNAProductions
2018-05-29, 03:34 PM
"Where would I go to study healing?" Rofa asked the Aarakocra.
"And pardon my rudeness, friend. I'm Rofa."

"Rudeness? Nah, you're fine. I'm... Call me Rolf. It's easier than my given name," he says. "As for healing... We focus more on the arcane arts, which naturally aren't the best at healing, but we've got a small temple area here that doubles as the infirmary. You can learn there, I'd imagine."

Illven
2018-05-29, 03:35 PM
I'm thinking this is a bit above what I've learned so far. Heather admits shyly blushing and twiddling her fingers as she looks anywhere but Dei. She probably thinks I'm an idiot.

Xihirli
2018-05-29, 04:01 PM
"Rudeness? Nah, you're fine. I'm... Call me Rolf. It's easier than my given name," he says. "As for healing... We focus more on the arcane arts, which naturally aren't the best at healing, but we've got a small temple area here that doubles as the infirmary. You can learn there, I'd imagine."

"That's actually what I'm interested in. I believe that healing is possible using the arcane arts. If..." Rofa halted for a moment.
"If you were familiar with the god of my people you might understand why I'm hesitant to have my magic dependent on a deity."

lukitux
2018-05-29, 04:22 PM
Throughout the discussion, Alec's face gets more and more confused as he tries and fails to keep up with the conversation. When the Gnome asks him how he is doing, he replies,
"Well, I'm not sure if I understand what any of the words that are being said by anyone mean but I can probably look them up somewhere. Do you know where the library around here is? Our tour guide kind of left to find another tour guide, so the entrance hall and the mess hall are the only two rooms I've seen."

After hearing the answer, Alec addresses the Gnome and the rest of the table.

"Oh, I am Alec by the way. Heather and I have already met, but I forgot to ask what all of your names are?"

JNAProductions
2018-05-29, 04:32 PM
"That's actually what I'm interested in. I believe that healing is possible using the arcane arts. If..." Rofa halted for a moment.
"If you were familiar with the god of my people you might understand why I'm hesitant to have my magic dependent on a deity."

"Ah. Not sure what to do with that there, but best of luck!"

Throughout the discussion, Alec's face gets more and more confused as he tries and fails to keep up with the conversation. When the Gnome asks him how he is doing, he replies,
"Well, I'm not sure if I understand what any of the words that are being said by anyone mean but I can probably look them up somewhere. Do you know where the library around here is? Our tour guide kind of left to find another tour guide, so the entrance hall and the mess hall are the only two rooms I've seen."

After hearing the answer, Alec addresses the Gnome and the rest of the table.

"Oh, I am Alec by the way. Heather and I have already met, but I forgot to ask what all of your names are?"

"Sure-I can lead you to their," the gnome responds. "And I'm Gembright."

The others acknowledge Alec's introduction, but seem to miss the question.

Xihirli
2018-05-29, 04:49 PM
Rofa drummed her fingers somewhat nervously.
"I made my way to this school without much understanding of how it would work. How is housing dealt with?"

JNAProductions
2018-05-29, 05:32 PM
Rofa drummed her fingers somewhat nervously.
"I made my way to this school without much understanding of how it would work. How is housing dealt with?"

"You've got a room assigned to you. You do have to share with someone else, for a while, at least, so hope you get lucky with your roomie," Rolf says.

Illven
2018-05-29, 06:02 PM
How do we know who our roomie is? Heather asks brightly.

lukitux
2018-05-29, 06:11 PM
"Nice to meet you, Gembright. Thanks for offering to show me how to get to the library, let me see if my friends want to come first. "

Alec stands up from his seat, waving to Rofa from across the room.

"Heather, Rofa, do either of you want to come to the library? They'll probably be a slightly better source of information than waiting for our tour guide to get back, and they might have information on whether anyone else has tried healing with arcane magic before. Gembright says that he can take us there."

JNAProductions
2018-05-29, 06:55 PM
How do we know who our roomie is? Heather asks brightly.

Gembright answers, saying "You'll find out whenever you end up in the room at the same time."

"Nice to meet you, Gembright. Thanks for offering to show me how to get to the library, let me see if my friends want to come first. "

Alec stands up from his seat, waving to Rofa from across the room.

"Heather, Rofa, do either of you want to come to the library? They'll probably be a slightly better source of information than waiting for our tour guide to get back, and they might have information on whether anyone else has tried healing with arcane magic before. Gembright says that he can take us there."

"And, uh, not 'he', please," Gembright says.

Illven
2018-05-29, 07:05 PM
Okay..... What's my roomnumber? Heather remarks.

lukitux
2018-05-29, 07:16 PM
"Oh, sorry about that. What would you prefer?"

Xihirli
2018-05-29, 07:50 PM
Rofa turned up as she was addressed.
”I think we were expected to wait here.”

JNAProductions
2018-05-29, 08:22 PM
Okay..... What's my roomnumber? Heather remarks.

"It wasn't in your letter? Here, if you still have it, you can check," Gembright responds.

Heather, though, is able to jog her memory and recall room number 4087.

"Oh, sorry about that. What would you prefer?"

Gembright sighs, and says "They, them... Stuff like that."

Rofa turned up as she was addressed.
”I think we were expected to wait here.”

Rolf snorts-an intersting sound from a birdman. "Please. Knowing Adolfo, he's probably too busy chatting to some other teacher and has completely forgotten about you. I swear, that man..."

Illven
2018-05-29, 08:28 PM
4087. Anyone else have that room number? Heather asks the group eyes flicking hopefully to the fire genasi.

Xihirli
2018-05-29, 08:29 PM
I assume Rofa still has it. What’s her room number?

”Perhaps there’s an authority figure nearby we could speak with,” Rofa suggested.

JNAProductions
2018-05-29, 08:30 PM
Rofa's room number:

[roll0]

"It won't be any of us," Dei says. "We've moved out of the fourth floor."

Illven
2018-05-29, 08:49 PM
Any of you have the room number 4087? Heather called out, before freezing up.

Xihirli
2018-05-29, 08:57 PM
”Four zero eight zero,” Rofa answered.
“Is there anybody we could talk to about continuing the tour?”

JNAProductions
2018-05-29, 09:07 PM
Gembright sighs again. "I can spare an hour."

Xihirli
2018-05-29, 09:12 PM
”And we wouldn’t be breaking any rules?” Rofa prompted.

lukitux
2018-05-29, 09:20 PM
"Thanks. And if there was a rule about not letting helpful students give you tours, they haven't told us about it yet. And that means we have plausible deniability. I didn't really get to the part of the letter about living quarters."
Alec unfolds his letter and looks again at the room number.
"Let's see, my room number is..."
what room number do I get?

JNAProductions
2018-05-29, 09:29 PM
”And we wouldn’t be breaking any rules?” Rofa prompted.

"Nah, don't worry about it. So long as you're not hurting someone, the teachers and other staff are pretty lax," Gembright replies.

"Thanks. I didn't really get to the part of the letter about living quarters."
Alec unfolds his letter and looks again at the room number.
"Let's see, my room number is..."
what room number do I get?

[roll0]

lukitux
2018-05-29, 09:34 PM
"We're both talking about the magic school that says you're not allowed to use any magic unless explicitly told to, right? I mean what use is learning magic if you can't use it for yourself? And I've got room number 4074. I can't believe this one building has over four thousand rooms! I mean that's more rooms than there are in my hometown."
Alec looks at the hallway into the cafeteria, wondering how he is going to not get lost in a school with that many rooms.

Xihirli
2018-05-29, 09:36 PM
"Nah, don't worry about it. So long as you're not hurting someone, the teachers and other staff are pretty lax," Gembright replies.

Rofa nods. This was a new place. This stranger knew the area, she didn't. This was not her home.
"Okay, yeah. Lead the way."

Illven
2018-05-29, 10:02 PM
Heather will follow hoping to not be the center of attention.

JNAProductions
2018-05-29, 10:04 PM
Gembright starts off, saying "Forwards! To the library! But it's on the tenth floor, so we can stop at your hall on the way up."

They lead you up a spiral staircase in an alcove not far off from the hall, stopping on the fourth floor. "This is the dorm hall. Want to check out your rooms before we head for the library?"

Xihirli
2018-05-29, 10:08 PM
"May as well meet my roommate if she's there." Rofa approached her dorm room when it came to that and gingerly knocked on the door.
I will have to at least tolerate this person for a time.

((If there is no answer she will try the door.))

Illven
2018-05-29, 10:08 PM
Heather nods, hoping to see her roommate as she moves towards her door.

JNAProductions
2018-05-29, 10:12 PM
"May as well meet my roommate if she's there." Rofa approached her dorm room when it came to that and gingerly knocked on the door.
I will have to at least tolerate this person for a time.

"Don't come in!" a voice comes from within. "I'm-I'm just-um, that is-don't come in!"

Heather nods, hoping to see her roommate as she moves towards her door.

The door opens just as Heather is arriving, and out walks a tall woman, with short blonde hair. Her skin is a patchwork composite of all sorts of different things-scales and feathers, skin and hide, with no one area being larger than a few inches on a side. Her eyes are a deep black, and she's dressed in a simple tan outfit. "Oh! Hey."

Xihirli
2018-05-29, 10:14 PM
Can Rofa tell anything about this person by the voice or... tone?
Insight (if necessary) [roll0]
"I'm your roommate. What... what's going on in there?"

lukitux
2018-05-29, 10:15 PM
Alec looks around the hall and when he finds his room he stands next to his door awkwardly, waiting. As he waits and sees his friends talk to their roommates he realizes something.
"Wait. Knocking. I just forgot to knock on the door. How could I forget something like that?"
Alex then hurriedly knocks on the door of his room.

JNAProductions
2018-05-29, 10:17 PM
Can Rofa tell anything about this person by the voice or... tone?
Insight (if necessary) [roll0]
"I'm your roommate. What... what's going on in there?"

Everything is totally fine. She's probably just changing or something.

"Yup, totally fine! Nothing wrong at all!"

Alec looks around the hall and when he finds his room he stands next to his door awkwardly, waiting. As he waits and sees his friends talk to their roommates he realizes something.
"Wait. Knocking. I just forgot to knock on the door. How could I forget something like that?"
Alex then hurriedly knocks on the door of his room.

Alec knocks, and he hears a quiet "Hrm? Wuzzat?" from within. After maybe thirty seconds, the door opens, and tired-looking dwarf is standing in front of him. "Hi."

Xihirli
2018-05-29, 10:20 PM
"Can I come into the room, please?" Rofa requests.

JNAProductions
2018-05-29, 10:21 PM
"No no nope no nu-uh!" she says from within. A faint flickering is visible under the door crack.

Xihirli
2018-05-29, 10:22 PM
"Are you lighting a fire in there?"

Rofa tries the door.

JNAProductions
2018-05-29, 10:24 PM
The door is unlocked.

"No! Nothing on fire, no excess heat, no..." she trails off as Rofa opens the door, revealing a bed that is clearly on fire.

Xihirli
2018-05-29, 10:24 PM
Is there a person in the room?

If my roommate is a flame elemental that will be bizarre but probably not something that would even try to be hidden.

JNAProductions
2018-05-29, 10:26 PM
Is there a person in the room?

After Rofa takes in the flames, she manages to also see a short, fiery-looking redhead, who at the moment is considerably panicked. She looks mostly human, but with perhaps some other bloods in her.

Illven
2018-05-29, 10:27 PM
Heather looks.... somewhat strained

.... Hello there.... She comments.

JNAProductions
2018-05-29, 10:29 PM
"Whatcha guys doing here?" she asks nonchalantly.

lukitux
2018-05-29, 10:29 PM
Alec looks into the doorway and says to the Dwarf
"Hi, I'm Alec and we're going to be sharing this room for the foreseeable future. What's your name?"

While talking, Alec steps into the room and looks around.

JNAProductions
2018-05-29, 10:31 PM
The room is a plain sort, with two beds on opposite sides, a chest of drawers in between them, and a brightly-lit window. One of the beds is well-made, while the other has obviously been slept in.

"Durney. Durney Hroth," the dwarf responds, yawning.

Xihirli
2018-05-29, 10:31 PM
After Rofa takes in the flames, she manages to also see a short, fiery-looking redhead, who at the moment is considerably panicked. She looks mostly human, but with perhaps some other bloods in her.

"Maglubiyet's hairless..." Rofa manages to censor herself and looks about for anything to extinguish the blaze with.

JNAProductions
2018-05-29, 10:33 PM
The room is plain, and well-lit from both the window and the fire. Gembright is now coming forward, calling out "Hey, everything okay, Rofa? The room looks... Weird, from here."

Xihirli
2018-05-29, 10:35 PM
After the moment of horror, Rofa remembers her military training.
"FIRE!" she yells as loudly as she can, and then gets back into the hallway.
"FIRE!"

What is the rest of the building made of? Is anything flammable surrounding the bed?

Illven
2018-05-29, 10:35 PM
Oh, I'm your roomie. 4087 Heather remarks extending a hand.

Oh ****! She remarks starting to back up.

JNAProductions
2018-05-29, 10:37 PM
Doors start to open, some slowly, others more quickly. Soon, there's a small crowd of people, all looking somewhat worried. Gembright, being the most senior student about, dashes forward towards the room. "Gods above, of all the... Dammit!" they say as they reach the room.

As they run, they pull out a small wand, and as they reach the door, Gembright shouts "Agua!" and shoots a jet of water. It's poorly aimed, at first, drenching Rofa and the other woman, but then is focused on the fire. The bed smokes considerably, but the blaze begins to dim.

Oh, I'm your roomie. 4087 Heather remarks extending a hand.

Oh ****! She remarks starting to back up.

"Yup!" she replies, before Rofa starts yelling.

lukitux
2018-05-29, 10:39 PM
"Nice to meet you Durney." Alec replies before hearing Rofa;
"I think we'll have to continue this conversation later Durney, it sounds like my friends room is is on fire. Got to go!"
Alec then runs to the fire and after seeing it, produces a long handkerchief from behind his ear which he tries to use to smother the fire.

Xihirli
2018-05-29, 10:40 PM
As the fire began to die down, Rofa gripped the other woman's hands in hers and inspected her for any burns or injuries.
"Hold still. How's your breathing?"

[roll0]

JNAProductions
2018-05-29, 10:41 PM
As the fire began to die down, Rofa gripped the other woman's hands in hers and inspected her for any burns or injuries.
"Hold still. How's your breathing?"

[roll0]

"I'm okay, I'm okay..." she says.

She seems okay. A little panicky, but not in any real danger.

"Thank you, um..." she adds, looking towards Gembright and Alec, Alec having just arrived behind the gnome.

"Gembright," they say. "And no problem-but how did this happen?"

Xihirli
2018-05-29, 10:43 PM
"Phenomenal question," Rofa backed this up.

From her closer look, did she figure out what race her roommate was?

lukitux
2018-05-29, 10:47 PM
"And I'm Alec, I'm a new student here. Are you ok here?"
Alec then looks towards the crowd
"Do any of you know any magic that can get water out of our clothes? We kind of got soaked during that firefighting incident"

JNAProductions
2018-05-29, 10:47 PM
"Phenomenal question," Rofa backed this up.

From her closer look, did she figure out what race her roommate was?

"I was just... Well... I was trying to practice some spellwork, and it just... Got out of hand," she says, as the crowds outside begin to filter back into their rooms. "I'm sorry."

Human. Just not pure human.

Illven
2018-05-29, 10:48 PM
Heather starts to back up very rapidly, as the fire gets dealt with, Heather stops retreating, shaking, pale as a sheet.

Xihirli
2018-05-29, 10:49 PM
Rofa nodded, and sighed heavily.
"Just... call for help immediately next time a fire begins and... don't practice fire-related magic indoors. Look, I didn't see any immediate problems with you but you should talk to the nurse, you must have inhaled some smoke."

JNAProductions
2018-05-29, 10:49 PM
Heather starts to back up very rapidly, as the fire gets dealt with, Heather stops retreating, shaking, pale as a sheet.

"Hey, hey, you okay?" her roommate asks, coming close to her.

Rofa nodded, and sighed heavily.
"Just... call for help immediately next time a fire begins and... don't practice fire-related magic indoors. Look, I didn't see any immediate problems with you but you should talk to the nurse, you must have inhaled some smoke."

"Yeah... Yeah, I can do that," she says. Gembright (as per usual) sighs.

They then say "I'll take her there. You guys hang out here, and I'll be back soon as I can to finish the tour."

lukitux
2018-05-29, 10:50 PM
"It's a magic school. Magic happens, it's fine. Though do you think you could do that intentionally sometime? Lighting things on fire seems like it might be useful in certain situations."

Xihirli
2018-05-29, 10:54 PM
"Thank you," Rofa nods.
"I'd like to get my room in order and... make sure there aren't any more fires."
Rofa is going to close the door and take a less panicked look about her new room and hopefully her own bed separate from the other.

JNAProductions
2018-05-29, 10:55 PM
"Thank you," Rofa nods.
"I'd like to get my room in order and... make sure there aren't any more fires."
Rofa is going to close the door and take a less panicked look about her new room and hopefully her own bed separate from the other.

The room is rather plain. There are two beds, one well-made and the other smoldering, as well as a window and a chest of drawers. Everything is pretty spartan, but serviceable.

Illven
2018-05-29, 10:55 PM
Heather starts shaking her head rapidly, hunching her shoulders, near a panic attack.

lukitux
2018-05-29, 10:56 PM
Alec then talks to Heather and Rofa
"Everyone else OK here? And do you think our tour is jinxed? I mean every time we find a new tour our guide has to leave for some reason. Is curing a tour something that magic can do?"

JNAProductions
2018-05-29, 10:58 PM
Heather starts shaking her head rapidly, hunching her shoulders, near a panic attack.

The woman (slowly) wraps her arms around Heather, trying to be comforting, but pulling back if Heather seems more antsy at the contact.

Alec then talks to Heather and Rofa
"Everyone else OK here? And do you think our tour is jinxed? I mean every time we find a new tour our guide has to leave for some reason. Is curing a tour something that magic can do?"

She also looks at Alec, and mouths "Not the time!" to him, but her look softens after, and she seems perfectly willing to receive some help with Heather.

Xihirli
2018-05-29, 10:58 PM
Rofa unpacks her Herbalism kit and medicine book, placing them in her drawer chest. She looks down at the clothes currently on her, all the clothing she has, and leaves her pouch with fifteen gold pieces inside of her Herbalism Kit for a shred of security.
After a quick look out the window, she'll rejoin the others.

lukitux
2018-05-29, 11:05 PM
Alec quickly changes his tone when he sees that Heather is panicking.
"Hey, things are going to be fine. No one got hurt and the fire was quickly dealt with. I mean if Gembright was only a student and they still handled it pretty well, so we probably weren't in that much danger."
As he talks about it and his adrenaline rush fades, Alec realizes that he was actually just in a pretty dangerous situation. He was just in a room that was magically caught on fire! As he realizes this, his voice starts to waver.

Illven
2018-05-29, 11:08 PM
Heather doesn't seem aided or harmed by the contact, the woman can feel all of Heather's muscles tense under the robes.

Fire's dealt with.... Everything's fine. Mom and dad can't hurt you here.... She starts muttering to herself.

Xihirli
2018-05-29, 11:14 PM
Rofa emerged back from her room and swore in Goblin.
"Dholec mess." Then she spotted Heather, pale and upset.
"Hey are you alright?" Rofa saw that she was already being comforted, and didn't want to crowd her.
"The fire's gone. We're all safe now."

lukitux
2018-05-29, 11:18 PM
Alec suddenly stops talking upon hearing that last part. He appears to freeze up for a few seconds before saying
"I don't really know what you're going through and I don't want to pry, but whoever your parents are, they probably can't go through this many professional wizards and students with magic, so you should be safe here."

JNAProductions
2018-05-29, 11:19 PM
The woman holding Heather murmurs towards Heather, not really words-just comforting feelings. She looks to Rofa and Alec, and asks "You're her friends, right? Do you know what to do?"

Xihirli
2018-05-29, 11:22 PM
"I only just met her," Rofa answers.
"But I've worked with people who have... had a fright. It will help if she lays down." Rofa moves aside to allow the woman to bring Heather into both of their room.

JNAProductions
2018-05-29, 11:24 PM
"I only just met her," Rofa answers.
"But I've worked with people who have... had a fright. It will help if she lays down." Rofa moves aside to allow the woman to bring Heather into both of their room.

"Good idea. Heather? Come on, this is your bed," she says, leading Heather to the room. There's two beds, the chest of drawers, and the window, as per usual.

Illven
2018-05-29, 11:32 PM
Heather lays down robotically, shaking in the bed, and curling into herself.

lukitux
2018-05-29, 11:36 PM
"I... Have no idea what to do in this situation. But laying down does sound like it would help."
Alec sees that someone is already helping heather to her room, so he stands in the hallway wondering if she will be ok and whether there is anything more that he could do to help.

Xihirli
2018-05-29, 11:38 PM
"Talking to her is also nice. It reminds her she's not alone." Rofa stood next to the bed.
"My birth name is Ghaarthen. I was raised by the first healer of a battalion of Hobgoblins, my father Avak."
She faltered then, with no idea of where to go from there.

lukitux
2018-05-29, 11:50 PM
Alec steps into the room, continuing the conversation
"My hometown was Silverhill, a tiny farming town on the border of the country. It was mostly known for it's high quality scones and annual festivals to the goddess of agriculture. My father was... some elf somewhere.. and my mother, Silandra, used to be the towns best baker before..."
Alec then pauses again, wanting to find a way to continue the conversation without talking about a topic that would probably be even more stressful.

Illven
2018-05-29, 11:57 PM
After a few minutes, Heather stops shaking, and starts to uncurl.

I am so so sorry.... Heather remarks looking down at the bed.

Xihirli
2018-05-29, 11:58 PM
"It's perfectly normal. You have no need to apologize." Seeing that things were calming down, Rofa turned toward Heather's roommate.
"I'm Rofa. What is my roommate's name?"

lukitux
2018-05-30, 12:16 AM
"There's nothing to worry about. It was a dangerous situation, and we all have things and times where it gets impossible to cope. And if you ever want to talk about stuff, I do live three rooms to the right of you. "
Alec fiddles with his hands nervously, looking for something to say next

JNAProductions
2018-05-30, 12:58 AM
"She's Sally," the patchwork woman replies. "And I'm Patches. I already got your names," she adds, her eyes never leaving Heather for more than a few moments, filled with concern.

Illven
2018-05-30, 01:05 AM
He... hello patches... Heather remarks.

Xihirli
2018-05-30, 10:21 AM
What got you into divination, Heather?”
Something she actually cares about might help.

Xihirli
2018-05-31, 08:56 PM
"Well, just let us know when you feel ready to keep going," Rofa tells the quiet girl, then nods to Alec.
"Come on, she needs her space. We can knock when Gembright returns."

JNAProductions
2018-05-31, 08:58 PM
You close the door behind you, and see Patches standing awkwardly outside. "So... Um... Hi," she says.

Xihirli
2018-05-31, 09:21 PM
"Oh, hello." Rofa nods politely.
"Is there something you wanted to talk about?"

JNAProductions
2018-05-31, 09:26 PM
"No, I was actually going to talk to my... Um..." she says, and looks to the door. "But I'm worried about Heather now."

Illven
2018-05-31, 09:28 PM
Heather who hadn't heard the question, takes a moment after the door closes to compose herself.

Before opening the door, and stepping out of the room with a nervous smile.

Xihirli
2018-05-31, 09:28 PM
"I think Heather will be alright. Who were you about to talk to?" Rofa asks.
At the door, Rofa's head turns sharply.
"Oh, Heather! Good to see you out and about."

Illven
2018-05-31, 09:39 PM
Thanks. Heather replied hunching over her staff.

Xihirli
2018-05-31, 09:48 PM
Rofa looked her new friend up and down, puzzled by how open she was. Where she'd grown up, tears and panic attacks had to be hidden or performed in dark corners.
But our vulnerability didn't go away just because we pretended it wasn't there. If anything, this seems more healthy.
"Hey. You're strong," Rofa told her.

JNAProductions
2018-05-31, 10:04 PM
"My, uh... So, it's probably pretty obvious that I'm not normal," Patches says. "And I don't really know what to call him, but he's the man who made me. Creator feels weird. Father isn't quite right. I don't know..."

Xihirli
2018-05-31, 10:08 PM
Angel Papa

"I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean. You're not normal?" Rofa asked.
"Are you saying you were... manufactured?"

JNAProductions
2018-05-31, 10:24 PM
Patches gestures to the many, many different patches of different skin and skin-analogues on her. "I'm... Maybe a golem? I'm not too sure on the magical theory behind it."

Xihirli
2018-05-31, 10:26 PM
I had a faulty picture in my head on what Patches looked like.

"And you contact your father? Do you have a spell for that or is it something built into you?"

JNAProductions
2018-05-31, 10:27 PM
"He lives here, in the academy. I was going to walk to see him," Patches says with a little laugh.

Xihirli
2018-05-31, 10:29 PM
"He can create life with arcane magic?" Rofa prompted.

JNAProductions
2018-05-31, 10:30 PM
"He can create life with arcane magic?" Rofa prompted.

Patches raises an eyebrow. "Why so curious? Although, like I said, I'm not the most up-to-date on the magical theory behind me. You can talk to him if you want to, though-just come with me."

Xihirli
2018-05-31, 10:32 PM
"Yes, of course - I would love to." Rofa moved to do so.

JNAProductions
2018-05-31, 10:34 PM
"Heather, you gonna be okay if we leave you alone with Alec?" Patches asks. Assuming it's an affirmative response, she nods to Rofa. "Come on-let's get going!"

Xihirli
2018-05-31, 10:35 PM
Rofa follows after Patches - this was her first lead, though she didn't have too high of hopes.

lukitux
2018-05-31, 10:44 PM
Alec starts walking back to his room but then sees that Heather is back. Alec looks surprised that Heather has already recovered, and waves to her while walking back from his room.
Ok I need to type faster, every time I get a post done the situation has changed.

Illven
2018-05-31, 10:56 PM
Heather nods. I shall be fine. She commented.

lukitux
2018-05-31, 11:03 PM
After waiting for something to happen for a few minutes, Alec asks
"Do you want to just stay here and wait for either Rofa or Gembright to get back, or find something to do on our own. We still need to find the library, and also figure out how classes work and how to get into them. But if you would prefer staying here that works too."

Illven
2018-05-31, 11:05 PM
Let's try to find the library. Heather remarked warmly.

JNAProductions
2018-05-31, 11:17 PM
Gembright actually bumps into you two on the stairs. "Ah! Hey, guys-sorry it took a while. I had to explain what happened. Where's Rofa?"

Patches leads Rofa to a different set of stairs, and starts leading her up. "So... Why are you so interested?" she asks as she walks.

Illven
2018-05-31, 11:20 PM
I think she's with Patches. Heather remarked.

Xihirli
2018-05-31, 11:27 PM
Gembright actually bumps into you two on the stairs. "Ah! Hey, guys-sorry it took a while. I had to explain what happened. Where's Rofa?"

Patches leads Rofa to a different set of stairs, and starts leading her up. "So... Why are you so interested?" she asks as she walks.

Rofa fought the urge to march in response to the clop, clop of the steps.
"My brother, Hakann, and I both have the capacity to learn magic. He's studying to become a Devastator, but I was trained by my father Avak. He was a healer, and... I think that if it's applied properly, arcane magic could be used to heal and cleanse. Bards, I understand, can do it, and their power doesn't come from the divine." Her voice went steely.
"I'm going to figure out how. I'm going to figure out how to use arcane power to mend wounds an end illness."

lukitux
2018-05-31, 11:37 PM
Alec smiles when he sees another person he knows in the hallway and asks for directions.

"Yeah, we're just heading towards the library. Do you know which direction that is? I've been wandering in random directions and hoping that one of them is the library. Also, I've been wondering how classes work here and wether we need to be in any right now. "

JNAProductions
2018-06-01, 11:27 AM
Rofa fought the urge to march in response to the clop, clop of the steps.
"My brother, Hakann, and I both have the capacity to learn magic. He's studying to become a Devastator, but I was trained by my father Avak. He was a healer, and... I think that if it's applied properly, arcane magic could be used to heal and cleanse. Bards, I understand, can do it, and their power doesn't come from the divine." Her voice went steely.
"I'm going to figure out how. I'm going to figure out how to use arcane power to mend wounds an end illness."

Patches nods. "That's a noble goal. I can get behind that."

The stairs continue on up-you've lost count, due to the conversation, of how many floors you've gone up now.

Gembright looks at Alec wander off. "So... He knows I'm back, right? I'm not that short, am I?" they say with a brief chuckle. "Anyway, I'll lead you two to the library. As for classes, you kinda attend them on your own. Teachers have hours, you show up (though knock first-you don't want to interrupt an ongoing lesson) and learn for a little. You could just not attend anything, but they'd kick you out pretty soon if you try that."

Xihirli
2018-06-01, 01:56 PM
"How many floors have we gone up now?"

Illven
2018-06-01, 04:22 PM
Are any teacher hours still going on today? Heather remarks.

JNAProductions
2018-06-01, 07:40 PM
"How many floors have we gone up now?"

"Seven, I think. Don't worry, we're almost there," Patches replies.

A few floors later, though the stairs continue up, Patches steps away from them. "Just a little further now-he's in the room at the end of the hall, or at least should be."

Are any teacher hours still going on today? Heather remarks.

"At this hour?" Gembright says. "Not many. But I'd wager Noctis is still up."

Xihirli
2018-06-01, 08:48 PM
Rofa, perhaps betraying her eagerness, goes for the door once it is within arm's reach.

JNAProductions
2018-06-01, 08:56 PM
It's locked. Patches chuckles a little. "Try knocking."

Xihirli
2018-06-01, 09:05 PM
Rofa tries to keep any embarassment from showing as she raps on the door.

JNAProductions
2018-06-01, 09:06 PM
"Yes, yes, I'm coming!" a gruff voice comes from within. Rofa can hear some fiddling with locks, and then the door opens. "Who are you?" a tall elvish man asks.

Xihirli
2018-06-01, 09:07 PM
"My name is Rofa, and..." Rofa looks back at Patches.
"I understand you created life with arcane magic?"

JNAProductions
2018-06-01, 09:08 PM
The man stares at Rofa. "Patches, who did you bring here?"

"She... She just introduced herself, sir," Patches replies, seeming a touch confused.

"And did I not tell you to go to your room? And leave me to work in peace?" he continues.

"I mean, yes, but-"

"But nothing!" he says, and closes the door hard.

Xihirli
2018-06-01, 09:10 PM
Rofa stumbled over her tongue a few times before finding her voice.
"I'm sorry, what... what am I missing?"

lukitux
2018-06-01, 09:26 PM
Alec smiles at Gembright and says
"Of course I noticed you" and laughs somewhat
"It's just that I kind of really need to get some intel on this place because seriously everything makes no sense and there are fourthousandrooms which are also on fire and I need to know what is going on!"

I mean was in a hurry to get to the library so it took a while to switch from panicked navigation to normal conversation."

Illven
2018-06-01, 09:27 PM
"At this hour?" Gembright says. "Not many. But I'd wager Noctis is still up."

Who? And what do they teach? Heather asked.

JNAProductions
2018-06-01, 09:33 PM
"Oh. He's just a crusty old man, don't worry about it!" Patches says, still smiling.

She's covering up some emotions.

"No worries, Alec," Gembright replies to him, and then to Heather, saying "Noctis teaches a bit of general magical theory, as well as demonology."

Xihirli
2018-06-01, 09:36 PM
[roll0]

"Ah. Well, I'll walk you back to your room," Rofa offers.

Illven
2018-06-01, 09:39 PM
Practical or theory? Heather remarks.

JNAProductions
2018-06-01, 09:48 PM
Patches leads the way, saying "Hopefully your friends are still there. Wouldn't want you to miss them for this little outing."

"Theory, of course! What-you think they'd let even a teacher summon demons in this school?" Gembright says.

Illven
2018-06-01, 10:07 PM
I don't know! I've never been here before! Heather yelps out stung.

Xihirli
2018-06-01, 10:09 PM
"I did sort of up and leave them," Rofa points out, following Patches.
"I am anxious to check out the library, since based on what people have said I'll have to study a lot on my own."

lukitux
2018-06-01, 10:44 PM
Well, this school does seem to have all the scary forbidden magic stuff that my town disapproved of, so I wouldn't be surprised. But it's good to see that it draws the line at summoning demons. I mean, in just one day I broke the 'don't meddle or get involved in the affairs of wizards' rule I heard that a teacher broke 'don't create life unless you're the gods' and a student forgot about 'don't play with fire especially if it's magic' I broke 'stay away from the fae' but I always thought that one was kind of iffy" Alec gestures to his slightly pointed ears as he says that.
"It's like all of my childhood rules about magicy stuff don't apply here. Which is kind of exhilarating but also a bit frightening. I mean they were right about all of it being dangerous, but I think I can risk that. I mean doing magic for real is gonna be so cool you know."

JNAProductions
2018-06-01, 11:03 PM
"Yeah, it can be-oh, hey guys!" Gembright says as Patches and Rofa return down the stairs. "Anyway, it can be a touch exhilarating, but there are still rules. Anyway, Noctis isn't far from the library, so who's going where?"

Xihirli
2018-06-01, 11:06 PM
"Uh... the library, yes," Rofa nodded.

lukitux
2018-06-02, 01:55 AM
"Well, as fun as theoretical demonology sounds, I think I have some of my own research to do, so I'll go with library. If I ever find myself needing to theoretically summon any beings of pure chaos and evil I'll make sure to stop by though. Are there any classes on how to defend yourself from all of this magic stuff though? Because that was some pretty cool elemental magic you used back during the fire, and I'd probably like to learn some."
Alec looks upwards contemplatively, considering everything he has to research, how to possibly get all of those books and wondering how fast he can learn all this stuff. His mind starts filling with questions, which he begins asking.
"Speaking of the library though, how does it work? Do I need a library car or anything to check a book out, and is that even allowed. Is there a section with all the scary dark magic books to stay away from? And what's the librarian like.?"

JNAProductions
2018-06-02, 08:37 PM
Gembright begins walking for the library, and answers, saying "You can take out most of the non-magical books. Only students and teachers are allowed in the academy, for the most part, so no cards or anything are needed. The more... Potent books are kept in a locked section-you general need a teacher's permission to use them. And the librarian is pretty stern-but fair."

Xihirli
2018-06-02, 10:12 PM
"How long can we expect to keep books?" Rofa asks as she searches for a good place to follow on the now rather crowded stairwell.

JNAProductions
2018-06-02, 10:13 PM
"Indefinitely-until someone else needs them. Then, maybe a week from that point," Gembright replies, as you enter the seventh floor. The hall is tall here, and at the end you can see windows leading into a warmly lit library. "There it is-but Heather, you wanted to see Noctis?"

Xihirli
2018-06-02, 10:17 PM
Rofa approaches the library desk to speak with the librarian.

JNAProductions
2018-06-02, 10:23 PM
Speak with the library? I think you mean librarian, unless there's some "Commune With Books" Hobgoblin racial I don't know about. :P

Inside, the place smells strongly of aged paper. The librarian is visible behind her desk, sitting and reading quietly. As Rofa approaches, she looks over, and Rofa can tell that she's dealing with a Whisper Gnome. In her mind, she hears How can I help?

Xihirli
2018-06-02, 10:30 PM
Rofa instinctively grabs at her own head but stops herself short.
She tries thinking back, carefully subvocating
I'm looking for books on how to use Healer's Kits, since I understand books on magic are restricted.

If that doesn't seem to work, she will then state her request aloud.

Illven
2018-06-02, 11:28 PM
Heather nods and curtseys. Please. Lead the way.

JNAProductions
2018-06-03, 09:21 AM
Rofa instinctively grabs at her own head but stops herself short.
She tries thinking back, carefully subvocating
I'm looking for books on how to use Healer's Kits, since I understand books on magic are restricted.

If that doesn't seem to work, she will then state her request aloud.

The librarian smiles, and gestures to the left. Right over there-third row from the ground, about ten feet deep. There are our medical texts.

Heather nods and curtseys. Please. Lead the way.

Gembright heads just past the library, and presents an ordinary door to Heather. "Go ahead and knock."

Xihirli
2018-06-03, 09:38 AM
Rofa runs her fingers along the covers, looking for a guide on how to use Healer’s Kits properly - those would be a useful tool until her fairly complicated magic got off the ground.

Illven
2018-06-03, 11:03 AM
Heather proceeds to do so, knocking three times. Are you.... She starts before stopping.

JNAProductions
2018-06-03, 07:56 PM
Rofa runs her fingers along the covers, looking for a guide on how to use Healer’s Kits properly - those would be a useful tool until her fairly complicated magic got off the ground.

Rofa is able to find several books, written by different people, with varying methods and uses. She sits down and begins to study.

Heather proceeds to do so, knocking three times. Are you.... She starts before stopping.

The door opens... Slowly... Creakily. "He likes theatrics. Humour him-he'll like you more," Gembright whispers. "Good luck!"

Illven
2018-06-03, 08:20 PM
Well it's not like it was acting for Heather to say she was petrified. Nodding to her gnomish guide, she slowly opened the door, and took a step inside.

JNAProductions
2018-06-03, 08:30 PM
The room within is entirely dark. "Greetings, young student," a voice comes from everywhere around Heather. She hears a swirl of cloth from behind her, and turning to face it, she can see the vague outline of a man. "What knowledge do you seek?"

Illven
2018-06-03, 09:40 PM
Eee! Heather jumps up, her voice letting out a shrill shriek.

Oh um... Demonlogy 101. Heather starts tapping their staff nervously.

JNAProductions
2018-06-03, 10:17 PM
"Ah. You seek to delve into the darkest of arts, to harness that which should not be known of..." Noctis says. "Step forward."

Illven
2018-06-03, 10:45 PM
Heather does so. Shaking slightly.

JNAProductions
2018-06-03, 11:00 PM
A circle of candles around her begin to light themselves. However, Heather's step carries her into the path of one of the candles, and the hem of her pants catches on fire. "Now... Oh gods, hell!" Noctis says as he sees Heather starting to catch fire. The room immediately brightens, so everything is visible. It's an ordinary classroom, mostly empty, excepting the circle of candles in the middle. Noctis is a tall and dark-skinned human man, who draws a small component pouch form his robes. He throws his hand out, the one not holding the pouch, and summons a small spray of water. It soaks the bottom part of Heather's pant leg, and extinguishes the fire.

"I'm... Sorry. I like to impress upon students the dangers of demonology, but I'd rather not you actually get hurt. But, miss-are you sure you want to learn this? It's a dangerous path, and many will hate you for it."

Demonology will lead you on the path to becoming a Warlock.

Xihirli
2018-06-03, 11:32 PM
Rofa approaches the librarian once more.
Excuse me, but how many books am I allowed to check out at once? And where might I purchase an empty book?

Illven
2018-06-03, 11:33 PM
I... I want knowledge.... I want to study divination, but right now you're the only one up. Heather says after the shrieking calms down.

JNAProductions
2018-06-04, 08:55 AM
Rofa approaches the librarian once more.
Excuse me, but how many books am I allowed to check out at once? And where might I purchase an empty book?

You're new here, she thinks back, so not more than three. And I do not believe we have empty books, but there is plenty of loose paper here-would that do?

I... I want knowledge.... I want to study divination, but right now you're the only one up. Heather says after the shrieking calms down.

"Ah. You can gain much knowledge from the fell realms," Noctis says, "but if you don't wish to dabble in more profane arts, you might want to exercise some patience."

Illven
2018-06-04, 09:58 AM
But I've been patient all my life.... Heather complains.

Xihirli
2018-06-04, 10:10 AM
Actually, I'm looking to start a spellbook, Rofa answered.
So I don't think loose papers would do.
She picks out the three longest books and brings them to the front desk for check-out after putting the others away.
Could I go anywhere to get scrolls with clerical spells on them?

JNAProductions
2018-06-04, 10:54 AM
But I've been patient all my life.... Heather complains.

"Good, so you've got practice at it," Noctis replies.

Actually, I'm looking to start a spellbook, Rofa answered.
So I don't think loose papers would do.
She picks out the three longest books and brings them to the front desk for check-out after putting the others away.
Could I go anywhere to get scrolls with clerical spells on them?

Ah. You'll have to talk to storage about that. They're in the basement. Let me just mark down which books you're checking out... she thinks to Rofa. And done.

As for clerical scrolls, try the temple.

Illven
2018-06-04, 11:01 AM
Awwwwww.... Heather lets out a small whine. Fine, fine. It was a pleasure meeting you, or whatever.

Xihirli
2018-06-04, 11:14 AM
Basement. Okay, thank you. Rofa nodded to the gnome woman and guessed that the basement was in a general down direction so she started going that way.

lukitux
2018-06-04, 07:23 PM
When Alec gets to the library, when he realizes that he has arrived and stops thinking about what to research first and how to get the books he needs to study. He also starts wondering why Rofa and the Librarian seem like they're having a conversation without actually saying anything. When he snaps out of his revere, he approaches the librarian and speaks to her, quietly. (because it's a library)
"Hi, I'm Alec. You're the librarian I presume. What's your name?"

Alec does see that the librarian is a Gnome but he doesn't know anything about Whisper Gnomes or Gnomes in general so he wouldn't know to talk with his thoughts.

JNAProductions
2018-06-05, 11:21 AM
Charlotte, the librarian thinks to Alec.

It's getting late, your characters are getting tired. Perhaps time skip to the next day? We can assume Rofa goes downstairs and grabs a spell book, though.

Xihirli
2018-06-05, 02:37 PM
Yep, let's do that.

Illven
2018-06-05, 02:40 PM
Next day a-go!

lukitux
2018-06-05, 06:45 PM
Yeah, that works for me. I was planning on having Alec get some books on ways to detect if something is magic so he can come up with a cover story about why his magic doesn't detect as magic. But since books on magic cannot be checked out of the library, the secret book smuggling operation will have to wait until later.

JNAProductions
2018-06-05, 09:47 PM
You all finish your minor tasks, and head to your rooms.

Your roommate is there, just getting ready to sleep. She's got a few bandages over what are presumably burns, but seems okay. The bed has also been replaced for her.

Patches is there, sound asleep. She's snoring, a quiet, kinda cute, kinda deep sound.

Your roomie is sound asleep, and snoring loud enough to raise the dead.

Xihirli
2018-06-05, 09:59 PM
"Hello, Sally. I'm still figuring out where to go around here. Could you take me to a temple tomorrow morning?" Rofa requests as she sits on her bed.

lukitux
2018-06-05, 11:50 PM
Alec arrives at his room late in the night, having gotten lost in the endless hallways again. When he eventually arrives, he raises his hand to knock before hearing snoring through the door and realizing his roommate is asleep. He walki into the room and falls onto his bed, arms outstretched. Them he pith his hands behind his head and thinks.

He wonders how Rofa and Heather managed to already know which type of magic they wanted to study. He wondered how Hearhers meeting with the demonology professor went and wether she was ok. She had a panic attack from the fire, and he hoped she had managed to deal with the stress of a guy who literally studies brings of pure evil. He thought about Gembright, and wether they were helping him and his friends because they felt obligated to or wether they wanted to be friends. Eventually though, he fell asleep ready for the next day.

JNAProductions
2018-06-06, 08:34 PM
"Sorry, but no. I'm, uh... Kinda required to see some teachers about yesterday. Sorry," she replies.

The next day rolls around. Sally is not present, but Alec's roomie and Patches are both there, and likely know where you guys can get food!

Xihirli
2018-06-06, 09:20 PM
Rofa lifts herself from bed and dresses. With her spellbook under her arm, she exits her room.
There was no point in going in a random direction and hoping a temple was that way, so she asked Patches if she could be directed to a temple after breakfast.

Illven
2018-06-06, 09:21 PM
Heather wakes up.

Breakfest sounds good. She turns to Patches hopefully.

JNAProductions
2018-06-06, 09:29 PM
Patches leads you guys to the mess, keeping up a steady conversation on the way. The meal is simple, but finely made, and once all of you are finished, she says "The temple is actually past the courtyard. You just gotta-" she begins, giving directions to Rofa. "I'd lead you, but it's one spot, and I figure Heather here needs some more guidance to find a teacher."

Xihirli
2018-06-06, 09:54 PM
"Well, I'll just go then. You stay with Heather." Rofa said as she finished her meal.
She goes off to follow the directions of Patches, acting out in eagerness.
She had never been this close before, and she could taste it.

JNAProductions
2018-06-06, 09:56 PM
The temple area is a quiet place. There are two visible acolytes, both in plain white robes, who are attending to the statuary and keeping it clean.

Illven
2018-06-06, 09:58 PM
Heather gets distracted by a cute girl walking in just a moment before the group.

I'm sorry, what happened? Bumping slightly into the girl.

Sorry. Sorry! She replies stunned.

JNAProductions
2018-06-06, 10:01 PM
The woman is a tall goliath, with a thick staff in her hands. She doesn't move with the bump, but does turn to face Heather. "No worries," her deep alto voice replies. "Just be a little more careful next time, okay? I know-I used to run into you little people all the time, before I got used to how small everything here is."

Xihirli
2018-06-06, 10:02 PM
The temple area is a quiet place. There are two visible acolytes, both in plain white robes, who are attending to the statuary and keeping it clean.

Rofa approaches the acolytes as slowly and nonthreateningly as possible before greeting them.
"Hail."

Illven
2018-06-06, 10:08 PM
The woman is a tall goliath, with a thick staff in her hands. She doesn't move with the bump, but does turn to face Heather. "No worries," her deep alto voice replies. "Just be a little more careful next time, okay? I know-I used to run into you little people all the time, before I got used to how small everything here is."

Yes... Yes... Sorry. Heather scrunches defensively.

So um... what do you study miss?

JNAProductions
2018-06-06, 10:15 PM
Rofa approaches the acolytes as slowly and nonthreateningly as possible before greeting them.
"Hail."

"Ah, hello!" one of the acolytes replies. The young man, a halfling, continues, asking "What can we do to help you? We don't have many of the faithful around here."

Yes... Yes... Sorry. Heather scrunches defensively.

So um... what do you study miss?

"Empowerment, of the body, mind, and soul! And-Patches, what are you doing?" she says.

"This is my new roomie, Heather. Heather, this is Nallea Trueherder Munakatho," Patches says. "We're sparring partners, sometimes."

"And just Nallea is fine, by the way. What do you study yourself, Heather?"

Xihirli
2018-06-06, 10:20 PM
"Oh, that's fine. I... I'm a healer and I'm wondering if I could copy a clerical spell scroll into my spell book," Rofa requested.

JNAProductions
2018-06-06, 10:23 PM
"You'd be welcome to try. Let me get our resident caster, and see what she can do for you," the acolyte says, heading in. A few minutes pass, and out comes a tall (for her race) dwarven woman.

"How can I help you, ma'am? My acolyte here says you need casting?"

Xihirli
2018-06-06, 10:40 PM
"I want to copy a spell generally removed from the arcane into my spellbook," Rofa explains.
"I think I might be able to master the magic required through study and... there's only one way to find out."

Illven
2018-06-06, 10:42 PM
Nothing at the moment, hoping for some divination. Heather remarks.

JNAProductions
2018-06-06, 10:59 PM
"I want to copy a spell generally removed from the arcane into my spellbook," Rofa explains.
"I think I might be able to master the magic required through study and... there's only one way to find out."

"I have some texts you could peruse, and I'd be happy to show you how some of my more basic spells work. But..." she says. "My more potent healing spells I'm afraid I cannot waste. If someone were injured, I could let you observe in most scenarios, but as it stands now, I cannot simply cast one."

Nothing at the moment, hoping for some divination. Heather remarks.

"Really? Good luck then, Heather! Now if you'll excuse me," Nalea says, "I need some breakfast."

Xihirli
2018-06-06, 11:05 PM
"Okay, well then... could I perhaps copy a scroll of a spell that isn't healing if you can't spare one of them? I'm afraid I'm not quite familiar with your spells but... perhaps Detect Magic? I understand that's a spell that's regularly learned by the Arcane artists and it might be easier for me to..." Rofa ran out of words and closed her mouth before she started rambling.

lukitux
2018-06-06, 11:36 PM
Alec yawned and got out of bed. He looked down, realizing that he didn't have any new clothes to change into and he would have to wear the same clothes as he did yesterday. Maybe that was normal here, but some people here were probably city people so they would have different clothes every day. He would probably need some new clothes and a way to wash them to fit in, especially with the Elves. Maybe he could get some new clothes somewhere, or at least wash his with magic. He stretched and then then turned to his roommate and said.
"G'mornin Dunrey, slept well? Do we get breakfast at the same mess as all the other meals, because I think I know where that is. At least I went to here from there yesterday."

He glanced out the door looking for a direction that people are walking because if they are walking to breakfast he can blend in with that crowd and get there without admitting that he has no idea where the mess hall is.

JNAProductions
2018-06-06, 11:57 PM
"Okay, well then... could I perhaps copy a scroll of a spell that isn't healing if you can't spare one of them? I'm afraid I'm not quite familiar with your spells but... perhaps Detect Magic? I understand that's a spell that's regularly learned by the Arcane artists and it might be easier for me to..." Rofa ran out of words and closed her mouth before she started rambling.

"That I can do. No scrolls, but watch closely," the woman says, as she begins to incant a ritual.

Alec yawned and got out of bed. He looked down, realizing that he didn't have any new clothes to change into and he would have to wear the same clothes as he did yesterday. Maybe that was normal here, but some people here were probably city people so they would have different clothes every day. He would probably need some new clothes and a way to wash them to fit in, especially with the Elves. Maybe he could get some new clothes somewhere, or at least wash his with magic. He stretched and then then turned to his roommate and said.
"G'mornin Dunrey, slept well? Do we get breakfast at the same mess as all the other meals, because I think I know where that is. At least I went to here from there yesterday."

He glanced out the door looking for a direction that people are walking because if they are walking to breakfast he can blend in with that crowd and get there without admitting that he has no idea where the mess hall is.

Dunrey yawns loudly, and says "Yeah. Mind if I join ya?"

Xihirli
2018-06-07, 12:02 AM
Rofa took intent notes, writing down the required materials, the movement, anything she could manage to put into the spellbook.

Illven
2018-06-07, 12:16 AM
Oh... Oh right, sorry. Heather said, "recognizing" a dismissal when she saw one.

lukitux
2018-06-07, 12:55 AM
"Not at all, Durney. Onward, to the Cafeteria!"
Alec walks outside and tries to make his way towards the cafeteria from what he can remember, following any groups of people who seem like they just woke up and are heading towards breakfast whenever he gets to a point where he can't find his way. He also looks for any familiar faces on the way, and says hello to anyone he knows especially Gembright. If he sees Heather or Rofa, on the way there he also greets them.While walking, he strikes up a conversation
"So, how has being at magic school been for you? And what type of magic do you specialize in?"

JNAProductions
2018-06-07, 11:49 AM
Rofa took intent notes, writing down the required materials, the movement, anything she could manage to put into the spellbook.

Make an Arcana check.

Oh... Oh right, sorry. Heather said, "recognizing" a dismissal when she saw one.

"Mind if we sit with you?" Patches asks.

Nallea stops, and turns back to face you two. "I should've asked that, shouldn't I? I'm sorry-where are my manners? Yes, of course you can sit with me."

"Not at all, Durney. Onward, to the Cafeteria!"
Alec walks outside and tries to make his way towards the cafeteria from what he can remember, following any groups of people who seem like they just woke up and are heading towards breakfast whenever he gets to a point where he can't find his way. He also looks for any familiar faces on the way, and says hello to anyone he knows especially Gembright. If he sees Heather or Rofa, on the way there he also greets them.While walking, he strikes up a conversation
"So, how has being at magic school been for you? And what type of magic do you specialize in?"

Durney takes the lead, his stomach rumbling, and pays no mind to whether or not Alec knows where he's going. "I'm not sure yet. I've been dabbling in all sorts of things. My family wants me to be a smith, so I might focus on artifice, but I don't know if that appeals to me."

When they arrive at the mess, Alec sees Patches and Heather talking to a large Goliath woman.

Xihirli
2018-06-07, 12:06 PM
[roll0]
Other letters

JNAProductions
2018-06-07, 12:13 PM
Rofa fails to write down how to do it. While she has plenty of notes on what happened, when she tries to imitate it or modify it for her own use, nothing happens.

"Maybe we can try again?" the priestess says. "And one of my acolytes can assist you. I'm afraid that, if this doesn't work, I will have other duties to attend to, but I can spare a few more minutes for you."

Once again, with advantage from the acolyte offering assistance.

Xihirli
2018-06-07, 01:14 PM
Rofa nods, resolved not to fail in front of them again. She closes her eyes briefly to calm her thoughts and sets out to try again.

[roll0]
[roll1]

If this still fails I would like to use the Hobgoblin ability called Saving Face, which adds the number of allies I can see within thirty feet to a failed non-damage roll. So... two.

JNAProductions
2018-06-07, 01:16 PM
Rofa, unfortunately, is more hindered than helped by the acolyte. He's earnest and trying, but ultimately, she doesn't get anything new.

Xihirli
2018-06-07, 02:04 PM
”Well, thanks for trying. I’d like to look at those books you mentioned earlier, if that’s alright,” Rofa requested.

lukitux
2018-06-07, 08:24 PM
Alec gets his breakfast and walks over to where Heather and Patches are sitting.
"Hey, you all mind if I sit here? This is my roommate Durney by the way"

JNAProductions
2018-06-07, 09:40 PM
”Well, thanks for trying. I’d like to look at those books you mentioned earlier, if that’s alright,” Rofa requested.

"Of course. Let me find them for you," she replies, and heads in. A few minutes later, she comes out from the back with two books.

Alec gets his breakfast and walks over to where Heather and Patches are sitting.
"Hey, you all mind if I sit here? This is my roommate Durney by the way"

"Feel free to!" Patches says.

Xihirli
2018-06-07, 10:03 PM
"Thank you. And might you tell me where I might find anyone else that has taken on healing magic? I'm aware some druids can unlock healing and I'd like to find out how." Rofa had no idea if anything she was doing actually qualified as studying at the school, but she was certain she'd find some classes to attend.

Illven
2018-06-07, 10:10 PM
Oh no. no. You don't need to sit with me if you don't want to! Heather remarks.

lukitux
2018-06-07, 11:16 PM
Alec looks at Heather, puzzled.
"What do you mean? There are three people at breakfast here that I know and they're all at this table. And even if I knew everyone here, there's no one else I'd want to be having a morning meal with right now, except..."
Alec briefly glances at an Elf guy from the table he was rejected from yesterday and sighs.
"Well, never mind. So tell me, how was your meeting with the demon summoning guy yesterday? And do any of you know why Rofa isn't at breakfast?"

JNAProductions
2018-06-08, 11:53 AM
"Thank you. And might you tell me where I might find anyone else that has taken on healing magic? I'm aware some druids can unlock healing and I'd like to find out how." Rofa had no idea if anything she was doing actually qualified as studying at the school, but she was certain she'd find some classes to attend.

"I believe we have some who study natural magic here, but more as a scholarly interest than as a practical thing," she says. "You can sometimes find them in the arbor area."

Oh no. no. You don't need to sit with me if you don't want to! Heather remarks.

"Was that towards me or him?" Nallea asks.

Xihirli
2018-06-08, 12:40 PM
"Well, thank you. I'll just study those books now I suppose," Rofa tried to keep any distress out of her voice. It was only her first day.