PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Inhabitants of Arborea

Bad Wolf
2018-05-27, 11:14 PM
There's the titans (good-aligbed ones), the eladrins, and some lillends. Are there any other outsiders native to the plane?

Also if anyone knows about any native magical beasts besides Celestial/Anarchic animals, it'd be a big help.

MeimuHakurei
2018-05-28, 01:33 AM
Celestial Fey would be good, particularly the good-aligned ones. In fact, you can slap the Celestial Template onto anything that's Chaotic Good and it'd be fitting on Arborea.

DrMotives
2018-05-28, 07:20 AM
Arboreal dragons are in #321. There's a unique planar dragon for every major plane except, oddly, the Nine Hells. They have to share Styx dragons with everything else that that river touches.

MeimuHakurei
2018-05-28, 07:34 AM
Arboreal dragons are in #321. There's a unique planar dragon for every major plane except, oddly, the Nine Hells. They have to share Styx dragons with everything else that that river touches.

The unique planar dragon of the Nine Hells is Tiamat.

DrMotives
2018-05-28, 08:03 AM
The unique planar dragon of the Nine Hells is Tiamat.

Hahah, you know what I mean. Although, I've seen someone (can't recall know) on this forum turned the Hellfire Wyrm into a standard 12 age category dragon. Actually, decent odds it's been done by multiple people if you dig into the homebrew section. A later planar dragon article called out the Hellfire Wyrm as what was supposed to be Hell's dragon.

Karl Aegis
2018-05-28, 01:25 PM
Asrai, Oreads, Dryads, Ratatosk, Bacchus, Lillendi, Eladrin and elves are the usual inhabitants.

Falontani
2018-05-28, 01:36 PM
Asrai, Oreads, Dryads, Ratatosk, Bacchus, Lillendi, Eladrin and elves are the usual inhabitants.

well there goes the neighborhood.

Remuko
2018-05-28, 02:21 PM

id consider the Hellfire Wyrm. Always Lawful Evil. Has "HELLFIRE" in its name.

DrMotives
2018-05-28, 03:10 PM
id consider the Hellfire Wyrm. Always Lawful Evil. Has "HELLFIRE" in its name.

Well sure, and they're native the Hell, but unless you look at them in a homebrew conversion, they don't have the 12 age categories that the Arboreal and all other planar dragons have. That's all I've been trying to say.

ShurikVch
2018-05-28, 03:12 PM
Well, Angels (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/angel.htm) are listed with "Environment: Any good-aligned plane", and Arborea is Good
Asura (from Book of Exalted Deeds): "Environment: Upper Planes"
Bacchae (Fiend Folio)
Cranium Rat Swarms (Fiend Folio): "Climate/Terrain: Any land and underground (any Outer Plane)"
Concordant Killer (Monster Manual IV): "Environment: Infused with both fiendish and celestial essence, concordant killers are beings of the Outer Planes but are not native to any one. A killer might be found anywhere its mission takes it."
Howler (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/howler.htm): "Environment: A chaotic-aligned plane", and Arborea is Chaotic
Unicorn, Celestial Charger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/unicorn.htm): "Environment: A chaotic good plane"

Falontani
2018-05-28, 03:18 PM
"Ah finally. Peace at last. My life was a good one, and I died happily. Now to travel the plane that my god has crea- Is that a rat.... why is it's brain show-... OMG there are thousands!!!! What hell is this?!?"

Bad Wolf
2018-05-28, 04:50 PM
Hopefully the rat thing is an error.

Bohandas
2018-05-28, 10:36 PM
Celestial Fey would be good, particularly the good-aligned ones. In fact, you can slap the Celestial Template onto anything that's Chaotic Good and it'd be fitting on Arborea.

Or axiomatic fey. Arborea is more lawful than good.

MeimuHakurei
2018-05-29, 01:42 AM
Or axiomatic fey. Arborea is more lawful than good.

You're mistaking Arborea with Arcadia here.

Eldan
2018-05-29, 02:20 AM
Hopefully the rat thing is an error.

No, it's in fact entirely possible. They are spies of the Illithid and are said to have spread to neaerly all the planes.

Bohandas
2018-05-29, 02:30 AM
You're mistaking Arborea with Arcadia here.

oops! you're right!

Thurbane
2018-05-29, 05:30 AM
D&D Monster Finder (http://monsterfinder.dndrunde.de/) offers the following (some of the results seem a bit out of place):

Angel, Astral Deva
Angel, Monadic Deva
Angel, Movanic Deva
Angel, Planetar
Angel, Solar
Asura
Bacchae
Cranium Rat Swarm, Average Pack
Cranium Rat Swarm, Greater Pack
Cranium Rat Swarm, Lesser Pack
Eladrin: Bralani
Eladrin: Coure
Eladrin: Firre
Eladrin: Ghaele
Eladrin: Shiradi
Eladrin: Tulani
Howler
Lillend
Satyr, Anarchic

I'd probably add in the following, as well:

Dragon, Incarnum
Foo Dog
Foo Lion
Protectar

Braininthejar2
2018-05-29, 06:17 AM
Also, it has mount Olympus, so any Greek mythology monsters are fair game.

(yes, that also means things like hydras, or anarchic cultists of Dyonisus, who might rip you to shreds if you don't party with them).

Also, random superpowered guys spawned by Greek gods not being able to keep it in their pants. Life in Arborea is never dull.

ShurikVch
2018-05-29, 07:55 AM
Hopefully the rat thing is an error.Unfortunately, no: I checked encounter tables in the Planar Handbook - all of major Outer Planes (including Arborea) are encounters with Cranium Rat Swarms of all possible sizes

Also, for Arborea, the very same table offers creatures with Half-celestial or Sanctified templates, Oceanus Dragons (Draconomicon) of all possible age categories, and Ragewind (Monster Manual II)

Thurbane
2018-05-29, 02:35 PM
As well as everything that's been mentioned, Manual of the Planes says this:

Arborea is also the home of many celestial or anarchic versions of creatures found on the Material Plane. Celestial creatures tend to leave travelers alone unless crossed, at which point they fight with relish. Anarchic creatures, on the other hand, are as unreliable and unpredictable as you’d expect.

The MoTP encounter tables include the following (these tables have been somewhat superseded by those in the Planar Handbook, but still...):

Anarchic Basilisk
Anarchic Dire Lion
Anarchic Girallon
Anarchic Storm Giant
Anarchic Titan
Arrowhawk
Brass Dragon
Celestial Elephant
Celestial Giant Wasp
Celestial Lion
Celestial Polar Bear
Celestial Rhinocerous
Copper Dragon
Giant, Storm
Githyanki
Githzerai
Half-celestial Efreeti
Half-celestial Giant Eagle
Half-celestial Griffon
Half-celestial Storm Giant
Half-celestial Unicorn
Mercane (trading misson)
Petitioner
Pseudodragon
Silver Dragon
Xill

Remuko
2018-05-29, 06:49 PM
As well as everything that's been mentioned, Manual of the Planes says this:

The MoTP encounter tables include the following (these tables have been somewhat superseded by those in the Planar Handbook, but still...):

Anarchic Basilisk
Anarchic Dire Lion
Anarchic Girallon
Anarchic Storm Giant
Anarchic Titan
Arrowhawk
Brass Dragon
Celestial Elephant
Celestial Giant Wasp
Celestial Lion
Celestial Polar Bear
Celestial Rhinocerous
Copper Dragon
Giant, Storm
Githyanki
Githzerai
Half-celestial Efreeti
Half-celestial Giant Eagle
Half-celestial Griffon
Half-celestial Storm Giant
Half-celestial Unicorn
Mercane (trading misson)
Petitioner
Pseudodragon
Silver Dragon
Xill

Xill being on that list is interesting since theyre Lawful Evil and the plane is Chaotic Good.

Thurbane
2018-05-29, 08:16 PM
Xill being on that list is interesting since theyre Lawful Evil and the plane is Chaotic Good.

I thought the same thing.

Raiding parties maybe? Although you'd think there are planes where they wouldn't get as much resistance...

I thought Xill were all just about grabbing creatures and laying eggs in them. You'd think there were safer places for them to do that than a diametrically opposed alignment outer plane.

Bohandas
2018-05-30, 12:30 AM
Has anybody said treants yet? Gey're normally good aligned and they're associated with forests

Thurbane
2018-05-30, 01:45 AM
If we were going to expand the list for forest creatures of the right alignments (CG, CN, NG), I'd throw some of these in there too:

Apsara
Bearhound
Centaur
Cheshire Cat
Dryad
Dweomervore
Faerie Dragon
Gambol
Giant, Totem
Glaistig
Green Warder
Lhosk
Luna Moth
Mosslord
Nat, Einsaung
Nymph
Oaken Defender
Ophidian
Owl, Giant
Pegasus
Petal
Phoelarch
Satyr
Shimmerling Swarm
Silithar
Spirit Tree
Spriggan
Sprite, Grig
Sprite, Pixie
Spryjack
Thorn
Treant
Unicorn
Vanara
Watchspider
Wilora

Eldan
2018-05-30, 05:12 AM
You could also look at native gods and see what fits them.

A few notable ones that stand out to me from a quick perusal of Wikipedia:

The Seldarine and the Seelie Court. So, anything Fey should go, really.
Mount Olympus. So, the less monstrous inhabitants of Greek mythology would fit. Satyrs are mentioned in some books, but put in Centaurs, Pegasi, Bacchae. Expanding on the last, especially, anything that likes wild parties is at home on this plane.

The only interesting standout to me is Nephthys. Her Egyptian by-name is Lady of the House, and she has a role as protector of the dead. She's also the symbolic mother of the Pharaoh. Only creatures I can find associated with her are birds, especially kites.

Another interesting one: Iallanis, the neutral good giant goddess of love and healing. So, put some of the good giants there, too.

Then: Thritereon. A Greyhawk god I don't know much about, but the Wikis tell me he's responsible for Individuality, Freedom and Self-defence. Associated with sea-lizards, hounds and falcons.

Apart from that, it's various gods of joy, healing, feasts and so on, across the board.