PDA

View Full Version : Dipping druid for Shepard totems

Dankus Memakus
2018-05-28, 12:36 AM
So I really like the idea of throwing down totems to buff allies. Super cool idea. But I don't really care for the druid because I like to punch things. I dont care for full casters unless they can swing a sword well too...also I dont really wanna summon things which seems to be the shepards deal. I just like totems. SO does anyone have any advice for me and multiclassing. I thought fighter or war cleric, maybe ranger. I'm open to any suggestions.

Edit: or if you can make a Shepard druid a warrior. I can live with that. I can get over the summoning. Anyone with a pure druid build can totally say their ideas.

MaxWilson
2018-05-28, 01:21 AM
So I really like the idea of throwing down totems to buff allies. Super cool idea. But I don't really care for the druid because I like to punch things. I dont care for full casters unless they can swing a sword well too...also I dont really wanna summon things which seems to be the shepards deal. I just like totems. SO does anyone have any advice for me and multiclassing. I thought fighter or war cleric, maybe ranger. I'm open to any suggestions.

Edit: or if you can make a Shepard druid a warrior. I can live with that. I can get over the summoning. Anyone with a pure druid build can totally say their ideas.

Shepherd druid makes a better dip than other druid types, especially Shepherd Druid 6. The big downside to druid dips is that you lose the ability to wear metal armor, so you'd want to combine it with a Dex-y warrior class that can (ideally) get Mage Armor from the wizard list, or with a lizardman chassis or dragon sorcerer dip, or at least have good ranged weapons so you can hide behind your Shepherd-summoned meat shields.

I tend to think Shepherd Druid/Sharpshooter Arcane Archer might be a fun multiclass combination: e.g. Shepherd Druid 6/Arcane Archer 7 for 3 Sharpshooter shots per turn by level 13 (counting Curving Shot) that bypass nonmagical weapon resistance, while your summoned meat shields likewise get to grapple enemies at advantage (bear totem FTW!) and hold them in place for you to kill. And you can spam magical arrows whenever you feel like it (Grasping Arrows to impair mobility, or Banshing Arrows to break concentration) because they're not really important enough to be worth saving--Arcane Archer is mostly about the Curving Shot and built-in magical attacks.

Shepherd Druid/Swashbuckler could be fun too for similar reasons: again, hide behind meat shields while doing ranged damage.

BreaktheStatue
2018-05-28, 01:46 AM
What about a totem barb with a shepherd druid dip to 2? Seems like it'd be the best fit, thematically, and fit all of your other criteria.

As a barbarian, metal armor wouldn't be an issue, which it might be depending on other multiclass builds.

Wouldn't necessarily be MAD, either (EDIT: Moreso than barbs already can be), because you wouldn't need to pump WIS if the shep totems are all you care about from druid.

samuraijaques
2018-05-28, 05:06 AM
What about a totem barb with a shepherd druid dip to 2? Seems like it'd be the best fit, thematically, and fit all of your other criteria.

As a barbarian, metal armor wouldn't be an issue, which it might be depending on other multiclass builds.

Wouldn't necessarily be MAD, either (EDIT: Moreso than barbs already can be), because you wouldn't need to pump WIS if the shep totems are all you care about from druid.

I'll second this because it's a really interesting and thematically appropriate build. I was thinking path of the ancestral guardian though. You can be an awesome battlefield controller/buffer/tank/damage dealer all rolled into one super cool ball of rage. I'm seriously considering playing this actually.

Baldin
2018-05-28, 06:00 AM
If homebrew is allowed DawnForgedCast has a Shaman that is build to represent a WoW Shaman. I don't know the balance, but the class is build around placing totems. Reading the document the class looks very fun to play!

Dankus Memakus
2018-05-28, 12:37 PM

The totem barb is the one that gets like two ritual spells right?

Grod_The_Giant
2018-05-28, 12:43 PM
The totem barb is the one that gets like two ritual spells right?
Yep.

I'd probably say Ranger overall, though. Ranger 5/Druid x makes a pretty good nature/Wis gish, replacing the lackluster upper-level Ranger stuff with beefier spellcasting.

Fire Tarrasque
2018-05-28, 12:55 PM
I mean, Monk could theoretically work very well, overcoming the metal armor deficiency and keeping Wis as a helpy stat.

Dankus Memakus
2018-05-28, 12:55 PM
Yep.

I'd probably say Ranger overall, though. Ranger 5/Druid x makes a pretty good nature/Wis gish, replacing the lackluster upper-level Ranger stuff with beefier spellcasting.

I thought about ranger. It's definitely between ranger or barbarian. I really like the thought of being STR based with barb and Idk if ranger will function well STR based with a bunch of druid levels

Edit:monk hadn't even crossed my mind.... Kensai monk may fit the bill good, maybe a hill dwarf using a battle axe casting spells and martial arts....have to sacrifice a shield tho

Fire Tarrasque
2018-05-28, 05:53 PM
Yeah, but you're sacrificing a shield for an unarmored defense with your druid casting stat. If Monks not the kind of character you'd like to play, by all means, don't play one. A Kensai great axe monk isn't an idea i'd had before though, it would be original at the very least. You can ultimately get a higher AC with Monk besides defense, plate mail, and shield, and even then only missing it by one. It would also help out with multiclassing further into druid if you want. Basically: First stat: Wis or Dex. Second stat: Other stat from previous one. Than Con, and nothing else is really needed. You've covered casting, offense, and AC with only two stats. Con is just nice to have.

Dankus Memakus
2018-05-28, 06:46 PM
Yeah, but you're sacrificing a shield for an unarmored defense with your druid casting stat. If Monks not the kind of character you'd like to play, by all means, don't play one. A Kensai great axe monk isn't an idea i'd had before though, it would be original at the very least. You can ultimately get a higher AC with Monk besides defense, plate mail, and shield, and even then only missing it by one. It would also help out with multiclassing further into druid if you want. Basically: First stat: Wis or Dex. Second stat: Other stat from previous one. Than Con, and nothing else is really needed. You've covered casting, offense, and AC with only two stats. Con is just nice to have.

I completely agree I don't mean to sound like I was dismissing it. Honestly it's probably way stronger than ranger. A nature themed monk is actually a cool idea. So honestly is between Monk and Barbarian.

Fire Tarrasque
2018-05-28, 07:09 PM
I wasn't trying to make it sound like I thought you were dismissing it.
Two major questions that could tip the balance: Can you rage while Wildshaped? We know you can't cast spells, i'm unsure of the rules there. Secondly: Do claw/bite/whatever count as unarmed strikes?

Dankus Memakus
2018-05-29, 12:17 AM
I wasn't trying to make it sound like I thought you were dismissing it.
Two major questions that could tip the balance: Can you rage while Wildshaped? We know you can't cast spells, i'm unsure of the rules there. Secondly: Do claw/bite/whatever count as unarmed strikes?

Okay my bad. I just didn't wanna seem like a jerk :). Anyway I believe you can rage while wildshaped but I'm unsure of the unarmed strikes.

hymer
2018-05-29, 01:58 AM
Can you rage while Wildshaped?
As long as the beast shape is 'physically capable' of raging, you can use your rage in that form. So it's up to the DM, and I think most DM's would allow it, as long as thy don't start actually thiking about it.

BreaktheStatue
2018-05-29, 04:38 AM

I don't know that this would make that much of a difference. I know that barb/moon druid is a fairly common multiclass (precisely for the reason I think you're getting at), but OP is talking about dipping shepherd druid, not moon, so he probably won't be doing much combat in wildshape.

Spacehamster
2018-05-29, 05:17 AM
Gloom stalker ranger, Shepherd Druid sounds fun.

RingoBongo
2019-02-20, 10:47 PM
I'm thinking about the same character concept and ultimately settled on the same idea (monk or Barb). What did you decide on? What was the subclass for the other? What levels/ progression? Any feats you would recommend?

I've only just started this thought train and maybe I'll reach my destination earlier with you help 😉