PDA

View Full Version : No updated monk guides?

samcifer
2018-05-28, 08:28 AM
In my search for possible melee builds, I've discovered that none of the monk class guides I can find have been updated for Xanathar's, Volo's or Mordenkainen's (granted the last one isn't very useful to the class). Does anyone have any input on the new subclasses? Kensei looks good and Radiant Soul seems really appealing for the ranged attacks that do radiant damage and the Tabaxi looks like a pretty good race to use (though I keep thinking of then as Khajiit from Elder Scrolls).

Justin Sane
2018-05-28, 08:31 AM
Here you go. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?559306-Be-Like-Water-The-5e-Monk-Guide-(Updated-for-MToF))

samcifer
2018-05-28, 08:44 AM
Here you go. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?559306-Be-Like-Water-The-5e-Monk-Guide-(Updated-for-MToF))

Cool, thanks! :)

One question, though... Do unarmed strikes count as weapon attacks? I'm considering pairing monk with Fighter for in-combat options on ways to attack.

Aett_Thorn
2018-05-28, 09:10 AM
Cool, thanks! :)

One question, though... Do unarmed strikes count as weapon attacks? I'm considering pairing monk with Fighter for in-combat options on ways to attack.

Unarmed Strikes are melee weapon attacks, but are not attacks with a melee weapon. It’s a bit confusing, but works that way for a reason.

samcifer
2018-05-28, 09:13 AM
Unarmed Strikes are melee weapon attacks, but are not attacks with a melee weapon. It’s a bit confusing, but works that way for a reason.

So if I tried to combine monk with battlemaster fighter, I'd need to use a weapon to be able to use the maneuvers?

Unoriginal
2018-05-28, 09:46 AM
So if I tried to combine monk with battlemaster fighter, I'd need to use a weapon to be able to use the maneuvers?

Does the manoeuvre says it requires a weapon? If so, yes.

Does the manoeuvre says it works with melee weapon attacks, but doesn't precise it requires a weapon? It works with unarmed strike.

samcifer
2018-05-28, 09:50 AM
Does the manoeuvre says it requires a weapon? If so, yes.

Does the manoeuvre says it works with melee weapon attacks, but doesn't precise it requires a weapon? It works with unarmed strike.

They all say 'Weapon' or 'Melee Weapon', so yeah, I guess a weapon is needed. Strongly leaning towards Kensei + Battlemaster Tabaxi now.

Lunali
2018-05-28, 10:03 AM
I believe they all work with unarmed strikes, there are two different ways of describing attacks used for the maneuvers. The first, which definitely works with unarmed strikes, is melee weapon attack. Less clear is the second, which is simply weapon attack. I do not believe this is intended to remove unarmed strikes from the possibilities but rather to also allow for ranged weapon attacks.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-05-28, 10:29 AM
They all say 'Weapon' or 'Melee Weapon', so yeah, I guess a weapon is needed. Strongly leaning towards Kensei + Battlemaster Tabaxi now.

Kensei + Arcane Archer is also very good.

samcifer
2018-05-28, 10:33 AM
Kensei + Arcane Archer is also very good.

Ehh... I don't like only getting2 uses per battle. Battlemaster lets me have two times as many uses right away as well as the ability to get more.

Quoxis
2018-05-28, 10:44 AM
They all say 'Weapon' or 'Melee Weapon', so yeah, I guess a weapon is needed.

Uh, no. I quickly read over the battlemaster maneuvers, none of them specified „a melee weapon“, only a „melee weapon attack“ - a fist isn’t a melee weapon, but unarmed strikes are melee weapon attacks, so you can use every maneuver (iirc) with unarmed attacks.
Bonus points for using open hand technique and pushing attack to shove your opponent 30 feet away with one attack.