PDA

View Full Version : Okay then, closing in on a melee build, just can't decide which two of the 3 to take

samcifer
2018-05-28, 03:29 PM
So I've narrowed down my build concept. For race, I'm leaning strongly towards Tabaxi because I've always wanted to play one and humans are gross. :P

As for classes, I'm torn between any combination of two of the following 3 and starting him off at lv. 10 or higher:

Battlemaster (dex-focused) for the extra ASIs, second wind, as well as the variety of combat effects from the maneuvers.

Swashbuckler for the high damage (to a single attack per turn), ability to cut incoming damage by half once per round (perfect for one-on-one fights), and SB because it sounds like the most reliable way to get to add sneak attack dmg.

and Kensei for the multiple attacks, variety of monk abilities including stunning palm, and the +2 AC after using unarmed strikes.

My main goals are survivability and then variety of ways to attack. I'd most likely go rapier for melee attacking and longbow for ranged attacks. If I took fighter levels, I'd most likely take Dueling for the extra damage and because it would work well in any build.

Arcangel4774
2018-05-28, 03:49 PM
Rogues(swashbuckler) don't get longbow

samcifer
2018-05-28, 03:55 PM
Rogues(swashbuckler) don't get longbow

No, but either of the other two classes will. Fighters get it by default and Kensei monks can choose it for thir ranged Kensei weapon

CTurbo
2018-05-28, 08:49 PM
Tabaxi Swashbuckler is one of my current characters and it's an absolute blast to play. I highly recommend it.

I recommend for you, Tabaxi Draconic Sorcerer 1/Swashbuckler 9. Bump Dex at Rogue 4 and 8 to get 20. You should have 20 Dex, 14 Con, 16 Cha

Sorcerer 1 gives you natural armor with an AC of 13+Dex(5) for 18 AC, 4 cantrips which I would take Booming Blade, Green Flame Blade, Minor Illusion, and Mage Hand or Control Flames. 2 spells which I would take Shield and maybe Magic Missile.

Rogue 9 gets you Cunning Action, Expertise, Uncanny Dodge, Evasion, 5d6 Sneak damage, and all the Swashbuckler's goodies. Your Initiative would be 8.

You would use one of the Blade cantrips almost every round while depending on the situation. At level 11, you'd be doing 3d8+5+5d6 damage per turn with Booming Blade, and if the enemy moves, it takes another 3d8 damage.

samcifer
2018-05-28, 09:27 PM
Tabaxi Swashbuckler is one of my current characters and it's an absolute blast to play. I highly recommend it.

I recommend for you, Tabaxi Draconic Sorcerer 1/Swashbuckler 9. Bump Dex at Rogue 4 and 8 to get 20. You should have 20 Dex, 14 Con, 16 Cha

Sorcerer 1 gives you natural armor with an AC of 13+Dex(5) for 18 AC, 4 cantrips which I would take Booming Blade, Green Flame Blade, Minor Illusion, and Mage Hand or Control Flames. 2 spells which I would take Shield and maybe Magic Missile.

Rogue 9 gets you Cunning Action, Expertise, Uncanny Dodge, Evasion, 5d6 Sneak damage, and all the Swashbuckler's goodies. Your Initiative would be 8.

You would use one of the Blade cantrips almost every round while depending on the situation. At level 11, you'd be doing 3d8+5+5d6 damage per turn with Booming Blade, and if the enemy moves, it takes another 3d8 damage.

But I'd have to put a lot into Charisma to make the blade cantrips hit worth a damn, which would take away from DEX and CON.

CTurbo
2018-05-28, 10:13 PM
But I'd have to put a lot into Charisma to make the blade cantrips hit worth a damn, which would take away from DEX and CON.

That is not at all true for Booming Blade as it has absolutely nothing to do with your spell casting stat. Yes Green Flame Blade gets Cha damage but you could easily leave it at 16 for your entire career. None of the other cantrips and spells I chose have anything to do with Cha.

samcifer
2018-05-28, 10:23 PM
That is not at all true for Booming Blade as it has absolutely nothing to do with your spell casting stat. Yes Green Flame Blade gets Cha damage but you could easily leave it at 16 for your entire career. None of the other cantrips and spells I chose have anything to do with Cha.

Really? I thought that as cantrips, they all used the spellcasting stat for all damage and attack rolls.

Spore
2018-05-28, 10:33 PM
Tabaxi Swashbuckler if you have another frontline so you can reposition when you are starting to get surrounded. Battlemaster if not. Monk is a very elegant mobile striker. But it doesn't really shout "survival" or "damage mitigation".

danpit2991
2018-05-28, 11:01 PM
if i have said it once i have said it a million times there is never a reason to not be a half orc

but a tabaxi swashbuckler/kensai could be fun if your not into the pure testosterone driven awesomeness of the orcish horde

really though i would focus mainly on the swashbuckler and only dip any other classes but thats just me

CTurbo
2018-05-28, 11:13 PM
I do think Tabaxi Monk would be a lot of fun. Your unarmed claw strikes can use Dex and scale just like regular punches. The movement speed would be amazing. I love the flavor. I really love the Long Death Monk. I will play a Tabaxi Long Death Monk one day.

Kane0
2018-05-28, 11:44 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-F3Z_7AIPibQ/UBLqenYbpzI/AAAAAAAACL4/WClLRqs_CMQ/s1600/Gary_Gygax.jpg

samcifer
2018-05-28, 11:50 PM
So it sounds as if everyone is leaning towards monk as my primary. I like the ida of paring it with Swashbuckler 5 (eventually) for the damage reduction as well as the SA damage.

Speely
2018-05-28, 11:50 PM
For survivability and options for attack, I would go Kensei, especially as a Tabaxi.

Insane mobility + Longbow + Kensei's Shot is good, safe dpr, and Agile Parry + bonus action Dodge is great for clutch defense. Good base AC after ASIs, too. You can do good, consistent damage from anywhere that's not SA-dependent, have many ways to avoid damage, and have very mobile battlefield control if you so wish. Also, a 1d10 dmg die is a good thing at lower levels. Not as good as 1d8+2 (Fighter + Duelist,) but you do get a chance to apply your Dex bonus to dmg 3-4 times a round at level 5 (in melee.)

Perhaps the lowest damage option at higher levels, but still a very decent, dependable dpr with all the monk goodies. From 120ft to 5ft.

(I am biased because that's literally my character, but I am a fan for sure.)

CTurbo
2018-05-29, 02:34 AM
Tabaxi Swashbuckler 5/Battle Master 5 would be a great start. You could eventually go Fighter 11/Rogue 9 or Rogue 14/Fighter 6

Riposte gives you a reliable way to get off a second Sneak Attack damage each round

You could literally go with any of the fighting styles. It would be a great TWF. Dueling with Shield would get you a really high AC. Even Archery would be strong.