PDA

View Full Version : what are some cool enchantments for a hand axe?

RittenRemedy
2018-05-28, 04:36 PM
A totally open ended question! I put this here because I could very easily thumb through a book and pick out some stuff, but I wanted to see what else people came up with.

If you're looking to be helpful, who will be wilding this axe? My rogue (yes). Originally a pathfinder for-fun build, he two-weapon fights with a cold iron short sword and mithril hand axe. His roles led to an... interesting character trait, and he's so fun to play I'm considering, and dabbling in, writing him some lore. I'm looking to make his weapons more interesting and more like found items than meta-builds.

gooddragon1
2018-05-28, 04:47 PM
A totally open ended question! I put this here because I could very easily thumb through a book and pick out some stuff, but I wanted to see what else people came up with.

If you're looking to be helpful, who will be wilding this axe? My rogue (yes). Originally a pathfinder for-fun build, he two-weapon fights with a cold iron short sword and mithril hand axe. His roles led to an... interesting character trait, and he's so fun to play I'm considering, and dabbling in, writing him some lore. I'm looking to make his weapons more interesting and more like found items than meta-builds.

You'll probably want to ask that question here instead: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?59-D-amp-D-3e-3-5e-d20

You can report your own post to ask a moderator to move it for you if you want. (Left hand side below your avatar pic is a little triangle with an ! in it.

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-05-28, 07:27 PM
Fire damage, so when you're done chopping wood you can start a fire.

An automatic function where it will keep following and chopping an object or subject when ordered to.

Extreme wear and tear resistance.

A collapsible shaft, extending it to a normal battle axe.

Double throwing distance/half distance penalties.

darkrose50
2018-05-29, 07:41 AM
As they would say in old-English - It will ax you questions. Perhaps in order to activate the ax's magic the wielder must answer a question (the mage enchanting it always tried to include clever puns into his works).

fire - combat (bonus fire damage)
fire - combat (on a critical hit against a plant creature, X times per day, cause the target to burst into flames, causing the characters level in persistent burning damage until an action is used to put out the fire).
fire - utility (can be used to start fires)

radiates heat - cooking (can be used to boil water, or as a hotplate)
radiates heat - resistance (bonus to resist cold environments, or spells)

cuts wood - utility (bonus to chop wood, bonus to lumberjack profession, magically chops and neatly stacks wood)
fire/chops wood - combat (bonus damage to plants, bonus damage to wooden creatures)

Beaver themed (Bucktooth Woodfoe)
An activation sequence could be "fear not, for I am the beaver".
utility - swimming speed
utility - holding breath like the beaver
combat - splash water to cause a fear/distraction attack (like the beavers do with their tails)

S@tanicoaldo
2018-05-29, 09:35 AM
A Return enchantment is always cool.

https://i.imgur.com/WhwMkkD.gif

Rogar Demonblud
2018-05-29, 12:31 PM
Skip fire damage. Too many things are immune, either innately or by spell. Try acid damage, as I think mithril is still immune to corrosion effects.

Peelee
2018-05-29, 12:32 PM
If I were DM, I would have one shop enchant a hand axe to be 20% off just for asking.

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-05-30, 05:11 AM
If I were DM, I would have one shop enchant a hand axe to be 20% off just for asking.

Here at Old John's axe emporeum, we're slicing the prices. One by one they co on the chopping block. I fact, we just cut prices by another 5%. You axe, we reduce. And for the next two weeks only, all value added taxes get slashed!

Also, the axes have a "summon chopper" enchantment so you can ride while you axe, but that's a little corny even for us.

skunk3
2018-05-30, 04:46 PM
First of all, Everbright should be on basically every weapon you own because it gives the weapon immunity to acid and rust attacks. It's a small price to pay for insurance if you ask me. I put it on everything that I can.

As far as what enhancements to put on it, it completely depends on what you want flavor-wise, or if you are looking for a min/maxed optimal return for the least investment. The handaxe has a x3 crit multiplier but it only threatens on a natural 20, so even if you have keen via some method (enhancement, scabbard of keen edges, spell, etc) that's only a 19-20 threat range so going with most enhancements that do something special on a crit is kinda mehhhh… EXCEPT for the Collision property, which is +2 and adds a flat 5 damage to every attack. This 5 damage is a bit less than the average damage you'd get from having, say, frost and lightning (or anything else that adds 2d6) but it's consistently 5 damage every time and it is multiplied if you do crit!

Aside from that, what is best typically depends on the campaign and what types of foes you face a lot. I think that for your typical good vs. evil game there's a few enhancements that are usually good:

Wounding
Magebane
Holy
Eager
Parrying
Warning
Defending
Spellstrike

There's also a slew of flat cost enhancements out there that range from 'meh' to awesome. Some of my favorites:

Razor Sharp (+1 damage on every attack) - 1000 gp
Sudden Strike 2000 gp
Shadow Strike 5000 gp
Serrated 600 gp
Hideaway 2000 gp
Spellblade 6000 gp
All of the "surge" enhancements from DMG II for 2000 gp apiece
Blindsighted 30,000 gp

Vizzerdrix
2018-05-31, 09:46 AM
Are you kidding me? No one has said frost and icy burst yet? Yer making me sad gitp:smallsigh:

I may as well say plant bane too. Doubt anyone said that either.

Doorhandle
2018-05-31, 08:59 PM
Are you kidding me? No one has said frost and icy burst yet? Yer making me sad gitp:smallsigh:

I may as well say plant bane too. Doubt anyone said that either.

Frost and icy burst? So it's a chillax?

Thank you everyone i'll see myself out!

Saintheart
2018-05-31, 10:17 PM
Frost and icy burst? So it's a chillax?

Thank you everyone i'll see myself out!

No cutting remarks, please. Although a frosty buff to a weapon is, by definition, a cool enchantment.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-06-01, 02:02 AM
One I really like is the Heroes of Battle (or was it Miniatures Handbook) version of maiming. It'll turn your axe's crit multiplier from X3 to X1d6. Unfortunately, it was updated in the MIC to only do an extra 3d10 on a crit for a X3 weapon. Ask your DM if you can use the older, far superior version.

SangoProduction
2018-06-01, 06:51 AM
https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/complete/full/2018/1/20/1516472383460575.png

razorback
2018-06-02, 02:48 PM
Personally, I like Wrathful Healing from Enemies and Allies... hhhmmm, gravy. I like it more on barbarian-type characters, but helpful for anyone in melee.

ShurikVch
2018-06-04, 12:22 PM
Well, Enchantment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#enchantment)?..
There aren't that many of those for a Handaxe (and even less of "cool")

The "Fury" (Heroes of Battle) is a +1, and gives +1d6 damage while raging
(All this talk about a hatchet and rage reminded me of Dmitry Ovcharenko (http://badassoftheweek.com/index.cgi?ccpage=1&ccid=683791510647) :belkar:)

Wrathful Healing (Enemies and Allies) healing wielder for the same amount as the damage he inflicted with it; unfortunately, it's +3