PDA

View Full Version : Melee with the broom of flying

Dmdork
2018-05-28, 08:13 PM
My combat cleric is sword and boarding (weapon and shield) on the broom of flying. I'm just letting it happen cuz I got bigger fish to fry. Thoughts?

Blood of Gaea
2018-05-28, 08:24 PM
Seems less awkward than making melee attacks on the back of a pegasus.

dreast
2018-05-28, 08:27 PM
Remember that attacks of opportunity still apply when he moves out of a threatened area, and perhaps a Dex (acrobatics) check to maintain balance when he takes a hit. Otherwise, I see no problem. If there is one, a fireball or two should fix it. (Remember that magic items have resistance to all damage, though.)

Unoriginal
2018-05-29, 03:45 AM
Remember that attacks of opportunity still apply when he moves out of a threatened area, and perhaps a Dex (acrobatics) check to maintain balance when he takes a hit. Otherwise, I see no problem. If there is one, a fireball or two should fix it. (Remember that magic items have resistance to all damage, though.)

Where is it written that magic items have resistance to all damage?

leogobsin
2018-05-29, 04:16 AM
Where is it written that magic items have resistance to all damage?

DMG page 141, section titled "Magic Item Resilience".

Vogie
2018-05-29, 08:50 AM
Maybe grab Mounted Combatant? That way you can protect the broom from attacks...

MaxWilson
2018-05-29, 09:27 AM
Seems less awkward than making melee attacks on the back of a pegasus.

I dunno about that. At least you can grip the flanks of a horse (or pegasus) with your legs. How do you do that to a broom?

Frankly, riding on a broom sounds quite a lot like being ridden out of town on a rail, a notoriously uncomfortable experience.

BeefGood
2018-05-29, 07:30 PM
There’s nothing in the brooms description about falling off or being knocked off. I’ve been letting PC do anything. Part of the magic.

Lord8Ball
2018-05-29, 11:35 PM
At least he isn't using a polearm for the 10ft reach.

Blacky the Blackball
2018-05-30, 04:12 AM
I've ruled in my games that flying on a broom occupies one hand holding on (they don't exactly come with a saddle) so a character only has one hand free to do other things like fighting.

So no dual-wielding, no shields, and no two-handed weapons; and no spellcasting if holding a non-implement weapon in your hand.

Dmdork
2018-05-31, 04:26 AM
If there is one, a fireball or two should fix it. (Remember that magic items have resistance to all damage, though.) why would the broom take damage? I thought held items or items on your person don't take damage...

CircleOfTheRock
2018-05-31, 05:22 AM
why would the broom take damage? I thought held items or items on your person don't take damage...
The thing suspending you in mid-air is not the same as something on your person, or something you’re holding.

Dmdork
2018-06-01, 10:00 PM
So, how many hit points does a broom of flying have?

dreast
2018-06-02, 05:11 PM
So, how many hit points does a broom of flying have?

As many as a nonmagical broom; all enchanting does is give it resistance. A strong man can easily break a normal broom over his knee; a strong man can easily break a goblin over his knee. Therefore, I would estimate a broom of flying has as many hit points as a goblin.