PDA

View Full Version : Feats and powers for a psychic warrior

Flawless
2007-09-06, 01:59 PM
SO, I'm palying in a new campaign and we're level2 at the moment. Obviously, I'm playing a psychic warrior from the XPH. What I'm looking for is some advice as to what feats and powers I should pick.

The stats:

Str 18
Dex 14
Con 10
Int 10
Wis 16
Cha 10

He's a lesser Aasimar from the Player's Guide to Faerun, so no LA.
For now, he using a ranseur and I'm planning on using polearms most of the time.

The feats I already have are: power attack, cleave and combat reflexes. I picked those, because I didn't really know what to do with my feats and those seemed like solid choices to me.
Expansion and Force Screen are the two powers he knows. Expansions seems great, for it inreases his threatend squares. Lower Dex though, so fewer AoOs.

So, what would you suggest? Any good ideas as to what to make out of this character?

Thanks for your help in advance.

GimliFett
2007-09-06, 02:06 PM
I would have suggested Spinning Halberd style, from Complete Warrior, but you need Two-Weapon Fighting and Weapon Focus (halberd) instead of Power Attack and Cleave. Maybe your DM'd allow a little tweaking to fit your chosen weapon?

Nerd-o-rama
2007-09-06, 02:14 PM
Nah, he's got a good beginning for a battlefield-control build there. Trade that Ranseur in for a Guisarme and take Improved Trip at the next opportunity. Someone gets near you, bam, they're tripped.

Feats to think about are either Short Haft (CW) or Exotic Weapon Prof: Spiked Chain, so you can use your main weapon to attack adjacent squares when necessary. Take Short Haft if you don't want to be cliché and want higher damage, Spiked Chain if you like that bonus to disarms and trips on the same weapon, and you want to threaten reach squares at the same time as attacking adjacent ones.

Expansion and Force Screen are two of the best first-level PsyWar powers, yes. I'm not that familiar with psionics, but I do know that Hustle, when you get it, is an awesome power, since it's a swift move action, so you can, for example, move 30 feet and full attack.

Look into Warmind as a Prestige Class, as it has several swift-action buffs and better BAB than you'll get from PsyWar.

GimliFett
2007-09-06, 02:19 PM
True, Nerd-o-rama. I mostly like Spinning Halberd for its imagery, I guess, plus a little AC boost on a full-attack isn't anything to sneeze at, IMO.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-09-06, 02:23 PM
When you hit next level, a good second level power to manifest is Lion's Pounce, Psionic. Early game, not as useful, but as you get higher BAB, your damage output becomes much nastier.

I also highly suggest taking Track so you can slide into Slayer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/slayer.htm). Full BAB, 9/10 manifesting progression, what more could a fellah ask for? Oh, and let's not forget an eventual immunity to mind-affecting stuff.

Also, while not very optimized due to flavor, Pyrokeneticist (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/pyrokineticist.htm) is a fun 4 level dip. +2d6 fire damage is nice, so is the Flame Lash if your primary weapon goes away (D8 on touch attacks that can be used to trip and provokes AoO up to 15' away WITHOUT being expanded? Yes please), and you get Fire Bolt, which is basically a low-level Scorching Ray as an SLA at will.

Person_Man
2007-09-06, 03:42 PM
Classic Combinations:

King of Smack: Claws of the Beast, Expansion, Claws of the Vampire, Hostile Empathic Transfer, Improved Natural Attack, Combat Reflexes, Karmic Strike.

Catch Me If You Can: Inertial Armor, Hustle, Compression, Elusive Target, Improved Trip, Combat Reflexes.

You Shall Not Pass: Inertial Armor, Vigor, Thicken Skin, Concealing Amorpha, Energy Adaptation Specified, Biofeedback, Knock-Down, Combat Reflexes, reach weapon.

Hit 95% of the Time, Every Time: Hustle, 1 level of Pyrokineticist, Ring of Blinking, Pierce Magical Concealment.

Flawless
2007-09-06, 05:31 PM
Thanks so far. I knew of psionic Lion's Charge but hustle is new to me and it looks awesome. An extra move-action for 3 pp? Yes please. War Mind has great abilities, some look rather broken to me. But has its own manifester progression and you don't get as many pp with it as with psywar. Slayer's amazing, though. Looks like a psionic eldritch knight crossed with a ranger.

How does "hit 95% of the time" work? Why a ring of blinking? Pierce magical concealment?

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-09-06, 08:52 PM
Thanks so far. I knew of psionic Lion's Charge but hustle is new to me and it looks awesome. An extra move-action for 3 pp? Yes please. War Mind has great abilities, some look rather broken to me. But has its own manifester progression and you don't get as many pp with it as with psywar. Slayer's amazing, though. Looks like a psionic eldritch knight crossed with a ranger.

How does "hit 95% of the time" work? Why a ring of blinking? Pierce magical concealment?

Here's why.

Pyro1 gives you Flame Lash, which is a touch attack.

Blinking makes you invisible, which means flat-footed.

So a flat-footed touch attack... also known as AC 10.

Pierce Magical Concealment so you don't give youself a miss chance with Blink.

Zaeron
2007-09-06, 09:51 PM
Here's why.

I thought deflection bonuses applied to touch attacks, and I know deflection doesn't go away when you're flat footed. Also, doesn't flame lash suck? Hitting 95% of the time to no real effect isn't very useful.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-09-06, 09:59 PM
Sneak attack!
-Traditional Halfling battlecry

Bassetking
2007-09-06, 10:17 PM
Hitting 95% of the time on a Power Attack? A Power Attack from 15' away?

Hitting for 95% of the time is HOT.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-09-06, 10:24 PM
I thought deflection bonuses applied to touch attacks, and I know deflection doesn't go away when you're flat footed. Also, doesn't flame lash suck? Hitting 95% of the time to no real effect isn't very useful.

And how often are you running into a Deflection bonus to AC? Incorporeal Undead is about the only one I can think of offhand. For those, just let the Cleric do his thing and blow them up.

And D8 is not a bad weapon, not for a 15' reach and touch attacks. You can apply your Strength mod to it, and PA as well. *AND* since it's technically an exotic weapon, you can pick up Exotic Weapon Master to do double BAB for PA (Triple with Leap Attack). That's where most of your damage is comming from anyways. Even without min/maxing I can still end up getting something along the lines of +50 damage a hit fairly easily.

Bagera
2007-09-06, 10:37 PM
One of the best powers you can get is vigor. Temporary hit points are for the win.

Flawless
2007-09-06, 10:54 PM
Here's why.

Well, as I want my psywar to fight with a polearm, this fiery whip thing is not an option. As a back-up, it seems okay, though.

Flawless
2007-09-06, 10:58 PM
One of the best powers you can get is vigor. Temporary hit points are for the win.

It seems rather weak to me. And I am travelling with two clerics, so healing is not much of a problem.

Although, on a second thought, it would increase durability, so I might pick it up as my third level power...

CASTLEMIKE
2007-09-06, 11:45 PM
There are plenty of builds.

At low levels Hidden Talent is nice for getting Astral Construct or another power that tweaks your fancy.

The Spells to Power feat could be useful for a few choice powers like Fast Healing 1 (11 HP for 1 PP), Lesser Restoration for 1 PP without expensive spell component costs (Paladin Version), Alter Self... Wizard's recently posted a web article.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-09-07, 01:16 AM
It seems rather weak to me. And I am travelling with two clerics, so healing is not much of a problem.

Although, on a second thought, it would increase durability, so I might pick it up as my third level power...

Then my suggestion to you:

Get Short-Haft feat so you can threaten up close.

Powers:

1st level powers: Biofeedback (DR = Pwn), Expansion (size increase = Pwn), Force Screen (Shield Bonus FTW)
2nd level powers: Psionic Lion's Pounce (assuming you don't get Lion Barbarian as a one-level dip to start the build off right), Hustle (free action FTW), Strength of my Enemy (you get Str penalty, I get Str bonus... win/win), Concealing Amorpha (Concealment FTW, makes you immune to sneak attacks)

The Trick:

First off, be a race with Powerful Build. I suggest Half-Giant since they're already psionic. Go with a Halberd. It has d10 damage, can make trip attacks, and does double damage against a charging opponent. If you are wanting reach, go with a Guisarme for 2d4 damage (which is about even with a 1d10 damage on average, and a better bell curve for damage) so you can still trip. You get a free damage upgrade with powerful Build. This means a d10 goes to a 2d8, wheras the 2d4 weapon only goes to a 2d6, so go with a Glaive if you want damage, or a Guisarme if you want tripping.

Now then, combat starts, manifest Expansion. At 1st level, this increases one size category. So now your 2d8 weapon is doing 3d8 and your 2d6 weapon is doing 3d6. Use a Power Attack/Shock Trooper combo to charge in and smack down opponents. Use Psionic Lion's Pounce to get a full attack at the end if you have iterative attacks. Your reach now is 20', so feel free to finish your charge at 15'-20' away from them so they can't retaliate effectively. And if they try to close, that's an Attack of Opportunity right there. AND because it hasn't been your turn yet, you still get all the PA bonuses.

Logic
2007-09-07, 02:32 AM
Now, I have always liked "Fell Shot" and "Deep Impact" (both allow you to resolve an attack as a touch attack, one is for melee, the other ranged.) Drawbacks: This requires the Feat "Psionic Weapon" and has the ability to turn your chacater into a one trick-pony. Using either feat expends your psionic focus to do so, but to be able to do this more often, I am somewhat sure there is a feat that permits regaining a psionic focus faster than normal.

Dhavaer
2007-09-07, 02:36 AM
I am somewhat sure there is a feat that permits regaining a psionic focus faster than normal.

Psionic Meditation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#psionicMeditation).

meet shield
2007-09-07, 09:50 AM
For the feats, for me, the best are: psionic meditation, psionic weapon and profound impact.

Not more time a day, but you can spend your psionic focus ( do it in charge for another +2) for do all your round's attacks like a contact attack.
For do it two or more time for round you have to use a movement action for take another psionic focus (use hustle when you'll have two or more attack for round).

And... why aren't you human? Cause if you are human you have another feat... One feat at the first level, one feat cause you are human and two feats cause you are a psionic warrior of second level...

Tor the Fallen
2007-09-07, 01:08 PM
I've always been a fan of Up the Walls as a feat. Combine that with Leap Attack, and a Psionic Lion's Pounce, and it's all Hidden Tiger, Crouching Dragon.

Hitting 95% of the time on a Power Attack? A Power Attack from 15' away?

Hitting for 95% of the time is HOT.

Especially when you do it with fire.

Do you guys remember when Deep Impact was a big deal?

GimliFett
2007-09-07, 01:17 PM
Do you guys remember when Deep Impact was a big deal?

Vaguely. Man that movie was BAD! :smallwink:

Seriously, yes. I remember the cries of "broken" well.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-09-07, 04:20 PM
The problem with Deep Impact is that it's a one-trick shot. You can't repeat it easily over the course of combat. Sure, you can get ONE shot in, then you've blown your psionic focus. Now either spend a full turn (or, with the feat, a standard action) to refocus. You go ahead and do that. I'll be making full attacks and probably be doing more damage just because I've got so many more attacks going off, I'll be generating more hits, even having to contend with Natural Armor/Armor.

Tor the Fallen
2007-09-07, 04:27 PM
The problem with Deep Impact is that it's a one-trick shot. You can't repeat it easily over the course of combat. Sure, you can get ONE shot in, then you've blown your psionic focus. Now either spend a full turn (or, with the feat, a standard action) to refocus. You go ahead and do that. I'll be making full attacks and probably be doing more damage just because I've got so many more attacks going off, I'll be generating more hits, even having to contend with Natural Armor/Armor.

Actually, you could make your last attack the touch attack, then regain your psionic focus by using a hustle and the feat psionic meditation.

So:
Round 1
Manifest psionic lion's charge
Charge, and make all those attacks
Expend psionic focus on last attack for a touch attack, which increase the chance you hit

Round 2
Hustle as a swift action
Use move action to gain psionic focus
Full attack, last attack is a deep impact.

Of course, that takes a bunch of feats, and you could do the same with a lasher with the mage slayer feats, but there's less cheese.

Flawless
2007-09-08, 03:21 PM
Then my suggestion to you:

Get Short-Haft feat so you can threaten up close.

Powers:

1st level powers: Biofeedback (DR = Pwn), Expansion (size increase = Pwn), Force Screen (Shield Bonus FTW)
2nd level powers: Psionic Lion's Pounce (assuming you don't get Lion Barbarian as a one-level dip to start the build off right), Hustle (free action FTW), Strength of my Enemy (you get Str penalty, I get Str bonus... win/win), Concealing Amorpha (Concealment FTW, makes you immune to sneak attacks)

The Trick:

First off, be a race with Powerful Build. I suggest Half-Giant since they're already psionic. Go with a Halberd. It has d10 damage, can make trip attacks, and does double damage against a charging opponent. If you are wanting reach, go with a Guisarme for 2d4 damage (which is about even with a 1d10 damage on average, and a better bell curve for damage) so you can still trip. You get a free damage upgrade with powerful Build. This means a d10 goes to a 2d8, wheras the 2d4 weapon only goes to a 2d6, so go with a Glaive if you want damage, or a Guisarme if you want tripping.

Now then, combat starts, manifest Expansion. At 1st level, this increases one size category. So now your 2d8 weapon is doing 3d8 and your 2d6 weapon is doing 3d6. Use a Power Attack/Shock Trooper combo to charge in and smack down opponents. Use Psionic Lion's Pounce to get a full attack at the end if you have iterative attacks. Your reach now is 20', so feel free to finish your charge at 15'-20' away from them so they can't retaliate effectively. And if they try to close, that's an Attack of Opportunity right there. AND because it hasn't been your turn yet, you still get all the PA bonuses.

Well, thanks for the tips on powers. :)

For the part about powerful build and tripping, as I said, he's an Aasimar with Int 10, thus no powerful build and no tripping... :(

As tripping is not an option, how about Stand Still? It seems decent enough. Any other options for batllefield controll?