PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Item Caster Level

Thanos92
2018-05-29, 05:07 AM
Hi all!

Let's say I'm a Dragon Shaman and I acquire Crown of the North Wind (Dragons of Faerun, 127), it says:

"crown of the north [...] radiates a continuous cloak of bravery effect when worn".

Cloak of Bravery (Draconomicon):

"All allies within the emanation (including you) gain a morale bonus on saves against fear effects equal to your caster level (to a maximum of +10 at caster level 10th)."

Which is my "caster level" since I don't have spells? Maybe the caster level needed to create the object (in this case 8th)?

Thanks so much.

Khedrac
2018-05-29, 05:25 AM
If the item specifies a caster level use the CL specified.
If it doesn't specify a caster level use the minimum CL to cast the spell.
If the spell is on more than one class's spell list with different minimum caster levels there's a chart somewhere I don't currently recalls specifying the order in which to check class lists to determine which to use. Iirc it starts Wizard > Cleric > Druid.

Cloak of Bravery's latest printing is in the Spell Compendium and it is Cleric 3 so that is a caster level of 5.

Acanous
2018-05-29, 06:13 AM
Magic items with a caster level listed in their creation requirements are assumed to have that caster level.
In your case, it should be 8th.
There aren’t many ways to up an item’s caster level once it’s been created, either, which is part of why lower level items phase out as you increase in power.

Thanos92
2018-05-29, 07:27 AM
Mmmh... two differents answers, don't know what to do.

unseenmage
2018-05-29, 08:20 AM
Those answers do not conflict. The first sentence of the first answer coincides with the second answer, if I am reading them correctly.

BowStreetRunner
2018-05-29, 08:32 AM
It states CL 8th right at the end of the entry:

Moderate enchantment and transmutation [good]; CL 8th;
Craft Wondrous Item, calm emotions, eagle’s splendor; Price
70,000 gp; Cost 35,000 gp + 2,800 XP

Kelb_Panthera
2018-05-29, 06:33 PM
If the spell is produced by an item, it uses the item's CL; 8 for your example. The sole general exception to this is spells produced by staves which use either yours or the staff's, whichever is greater. Any other exceptions would have to be explicitly listed in the item's description. Spell trigger and completion items use the minimum CL to produce the spell, as partially described by Khedrac above.

BowStreetRunner
2018-05-29, 07:38 PM
Keep in mind that if you make (or hire someone to make) a custom magic item - even a custom version of a standard magic item - you can set the caster level anywhere between the minimum level necessary to cast the requisite spells and the level of the caster providing the spell. So if you had a 12th level caster provide the spell, then it could be made as a CL12 magic item if you wished. This would also increase the cost of the item of course.