PDA

View Full Version : Is Amazon Prohibitive for Small Sellers Now?

Palanan
2018-05-29, 01:37 PM
For a long while I’ve been meaning to set up as a seller on Amazon—but apparently they charge $40 a month as a baseline fee, plus individual fees for each sale.

For someone like myself, with a few old game books and a grab-bag of other items, I can’t imagine I’d make $40 in any given month, so this seems like a losing proposition from the start.

Has Amazon just raised their fees? Are they crowding out small sellers in favor of larger operations? And has anyone sold on Amazon in the past who could offer some perspective on this?

Chen
2018-05-30, 05:44 AM
I always thought Amazon was for bigger more consistent sellers. Something like Ebay, Etsy, Craigslist/Kijiji and such were for selling the odd thing here or there.

Palanan
2018-05-30, 09:22 AM
A cousin of mine sold on Amazon for several years, out of her spare bedroom, but that was some years ago.

It was possible at one point, but it doesn't look possible now. I'd like to hear from anyone who has experience with it, one way or the other.

Amazon
2018-05-30, 11:25 AM
No, I'm not. :smallbiggrin:

Some Android
2018-05-31, 01:43 AM

I wish it was possible to like posts on this forum because that would earn all of my likes!

Shamash
2018-05-31, 01:44 PM

Hahahahaha. :smallsmile:

Palanan
2018-05-31, 05:55 PM
Not helpful. I'm trying to hear from someone who actually has experience as a small seller on Amazon.

Beleriphon
2018-05-31, 06:03 PM
Not helpful. I'm trying to hear from someone who actually has experience as a small seller on Amazon.

Basically there are two ways to sell on Amazon. You hold stock at your facility (probably your garage) and you ship, but Amazon generates labels et al. for you. The other option is you pack a box, send to Amazon, its sits in their warehouse until stuff sells, then you get money.

That being said, if all you're selling is some old stuff you don't want rather than attempting to run a business Amazon is the wrong choice for the most part.

Chen
2018-05-31, 09:34 PM
The $40 plan is one option. You can pay the $1 per item plan instead if you’re low volume. Plus the percentage of each sale (but that goes with both plans)

https://services.amazon.com/selling/pricing.htm/ref=asus_soa_faq_p

Ostara
2018-06-17, 10:34 PM

Amazing.

Also I never considered Amazon a small-scale seller, for that I'd use E-bay which is a little more lenient(and useful for moving smaller items without getting mucked over by costs.)

Tyndmyr
2018-06-20, 03:38 PM
The $40 plan is one option. You can pay the $1 per item plan instead if you’re low volume. Plus the percentage of each sale (but that goes with both plans)

https://services.amazon.com/selling/pricing.htm/ref=asus_soa_faq_p

This, yeah. Do this until you start selling > 40 items/month, then switch over.