PDA

View Full Version : So, this character has an odd stat...

ZorroGames
2018-05-29, 02:10 PM
Started as ST 13 for heavy armor (DE 16 now 18, CO 12, IN 16, WI 10, CH 8 withdrawn due to grief being a survivor of a massacre by Wild Elves, no special snow flake just a survivor,) who is a 4th Level Forest Gnome Fighter (EK) and the odd strength is under scrutiny.

Not rebuilding so let us get that out of the discussion.

The question is:

Do I leave it at 13? 🧐
Do I use Athlete at 6th to crank it up to 14? 🤨
Do I use the Squat Nimbleness feat at 6th to boost it and increase my walking speed, add proficiency to athletics (I am +6 on acrobatics,) and gain advantage to escape being grappled? 😎
Something else I missed? 😳

Ideas?

FelineArchmage
2018-05-29, 02:17 PM
Ring or Chain mail? Those are the only heavy armors you can use with a STR of 13. Everything else requires a 15 of strength.

Is strength going to be a useful stat for you? From the other stats listed it looks like you're built as a dex-based fighter. If you're going to use finesse weapons, it really doesn't matter what your STR is. If you're not using finesse weapons and you plan on using heftier armor, I would boost it.

clash
2018-05-29, 02:18 PM
Leave it at 13. Strength gives very little benefit if you already have a high dex. Strength saves usually are not that important to make and it helps one skill. Just leave it be and pump your dex.

CTurbo
2018-05-29, 02:43 PM
Is there a specific reason that you want to use Heavy Armor? Ring and Chain mail are terrible. You can use Breastplate(Medium) and have the same exact AC and not have to suffer disadvantage on stealth checks.

Leave Str at 13 and switch to Breastplate. Max Dex out and/or boost Con, or just enjoy some feats.

ZorroGames
2018-05-29, 02:46 PM
Ring or Chain mail? Those are the only heavy armors you can use with a STR of 13. Everything else requires a 15 of strength.

Is strength going to be a useful stat for you? From the other stats listed it looks like you're built as a dex-based fighter. If you're going to use finesse weapons, it really doesn't matter what your STR is. If you're not using finesse weapons and you plan on using heftier armor, I would boost it.

Chainmail, based on starting story/background was what he started with, in the ruins of the village elder’s domicile.

Planning MC into Wizard after F8 and boosting IN to 20. Another character has offered me +1 Chainmail but AL requires me to find a rare item for trade. Player is holding it for me, since he has Mariner’s Plate. Thought about breast plate but it would be less AC than +1 Chainmail. FS is Defense.

The Only magic items I have is +1 Short Sword to back up the mundane LCB, Rapier, and Dagger. Have not had to use Short Sword so far. Playing ranged when I can, so far everybody wants me in front because their passive perceptions are worse than my 12. Let sigh.

Cantrips are Shocking Grasp and Firebolt; spells are M.M., Shield, and Sleep.

ZorroGames
2018-05-29, 02:48 PM
Is there a specific reason that you want to use Heavy Armor? Ring and Chain mail are terrible. You can use Breastplate(Medium) and have the same exact AC and not have to suffer disadvantage on stealth checks.

Leave Str at 13 and switch to Breastplate. Max Dex out and/or boost Con, or just enjoy some feats.

Yes, so no thank you.

CTurbo
2018-05-29, 02:59 PM
Yes, so no thank you.

Ok then I'd drop a +2 into Str in order to get Splint Mail now and then Plate eventually.

Or just leave it at 13. Bumping it to 14 will not be useful for you.

Theodoxus
2018-05-29, 03:00 PM
There's always Heavy Armor Master, which i use a lot on Vhuman fighters to boost Str to 16.

There's no guarantee in AL obviously (and I haven't taken the time to research which modules or one shots might contain it - to plead a DM to run) but Boots of Striding and Springing would boost your speed to 30 regardless of race or encumbrance. They're pretty awesome for exactly your problem.

Another option, which I don't know how viable it would be for you - is to DM AL. After 20 hours running, you can "purchase" an non-unique, non-legendary magic item from any module you've run for any character you have logged. So, if you can't find someone to run a module with Boots of S&S, you could run it, and after 20 hours, can buy them for your gnome.

I know at the tables I play and run, that would be about a months worth of running games...

ZorroGames
2018-05-29, 03:07 PM
Ok then I'd drop a +2 into Str in order to get Splint Mail now and then Plate eventually.

Or just leave it at 13. Bumping it to 14 will not be useful for you.

Think the last is what I will do though Plate mail on a Wizard...

This was a “just to learn the ‘Gnome’ ropes” experimental character so he will probably go back burner at some point.

Odd numbers in this edition seem ‘odd’ no joke intended.

Never worried about it in OD&D - short of a wishing well you started and ended based on your 3D6 rolls.

CTurbo
2018-05-29, 03:10 PM
Think the last is what I will do though Plate mail on a Wizard...

This was a “just to learn the ‘Gnome’ ropes” experimental character so he will probably go back burner at some point.

Odd numbers in this edition seem ‘odd’ no joke intended.

Never worried about it in OD&D - short of a wishing well you started and ended based on your 3D6 rolls.

Well then take Heavy Armor Mastery if you want to bump it to 14. It's a solid feat.

thoroughlyS
2018-05-29, 03:17 PM
+1 Str +1 Wis now, for Resilient (Wis) at 8th.

ZorroGames
2018-05-29, 03:20 PM
Well then take Heavy Armor Mastery if you want to bump it to 14. It's a solid feat.

Might do that at Wizard 4. After Fighter 8. Gracias.