PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Three Draconic Theurges

Malimar
2018-05-29, 02:40 PM
Draconic Warlock

Having learned to harness the power of invocations, a different style of invocation comes naturally to some, and these draconic warlocks can soon learn to advance in both tracks simultaneously. Draconic warlocks often have a single chaotic or evil dragon as their warlock patron, who grants them the powers of both the warlock and the dragonfire adept.

Hit Die
d6

Prerequisites
Eldritch Blast 2d6
Breath Weapon 2d6
at least 4 invocations known (other than Eldritch Blast)
Knowledge(arcana) 8 ranks, Knowledge(the planes) 8 ranks

Class Skills
The draconic warlock's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Intimidate (Cha), all Knowledges, taken individually (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), and Use Magic Device (Cha).

Skill Points at Each Level
2 + Int modifier

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special
Invocations

1st
+0
+2
+0
+2
Scales
+1 level of two existing invoker classes

2nd
+1
+3
+0
+3
Breath effect

3rd
+2
+3
+1
+3
Damage reduction 2/cold iron and magic

4th
+3
+4
+1
+4
Breath Essence

5th
+3
+4
+1
+4
Scales, damage reduction 3/cold iron and magic

6th
+4
+5
+2
+5
Eldritch Cone

7th
+5
+5
+2
+5
Breath effect, damage reduction 4/cold iron and magic

8th
+6/+1
+6
+2
+6
Energy resistance 5

9th
+6/+1
+6
+3
+6
Scales, damage reduction 5/cold iron and magic

10th
+7/+2
+7
+3
+7
Advanced Breath Essence

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Draconic warlocks gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Invocation (Su): At each level, the draconic warlock gains new invocations known, new grades of invocation, invocation caster level, advancement to eldritch blast damage, advancement to breath weapon damage, breath weapon save DC, and breath weapon range as if they had gained a level in two different invocation-using classes they belonged to before they added the prestige class.

Scales (Ex): At 1st, 5th, and 9th level, the draconic warlock advances the dragonfire adept's Scales class feature by +1. For example, a draconic warlock with 3 levels of dragonfire adept and 5 levels of draconic warlock would have a total of +4 natural armor.

Breath Effect (Su): At 2nd and 7th level, the draconic warlock can select one of the dragonfire adept breath effects for which they meet the minimum level, adding their dragonfire adept and draconic warlock levels to determine the minimum level.

Damage Reduction (Su): At 3rd level, the draconic warlock gains damage reduction 2/cold iron and magic. This overlaps (does not stack) with the damage reduction features of the warlock and dragonfire adept. This damage reduction increases by 1 at 5th, 7th, and 9th level.

Breath Essence (Su): At 4th level, the draconic warlock can apply the effects of one eldritch essence invocation to their dragonfire adept breath weapon. They can apply the effect of one breath effect to their eldritch blast (regardless of whether the breath effect calls for a line or a cone, the breath effect can be applied to any eldritch blast, and changes the effect of the eldritch blast; the Cloud Breath effect changes the shape of the eldritch blast to a 20' radius burst; the Fivefold Breath of Tiamat effect allows five separate eldritch blasts to be used as one action). At this level, they cannot apply both an eldritch essence and a breath effect to one eldritch blast or breath weapon.

Eldritch Cone (Su): At 6th level, the draconic warlock gains Eldritch Cone as a bonus warlock invocation known, and can use it, even if they could not normally learn or use greater invocations. The Endure Exposure invocation grants immunity to your eldritch blast.

Energy Resistance (Su): At 8th level, a draconic warlock gains resistance 5 against all energy types (acid, cold, electricity, fire, and sonic).

Advanced Breath Essence (Su): At 10th level, the draconic warlock gains the ability to apply one eldritch essence and one breath effect to their eldritch blast or breath weapon.

soliciting suggestions for some additional, more synergistic, class features

Dragon Enthusiast

Some who follow the path of the dragon twice over are known as dragon enthusiasts, with the ability to project draconic auras, emit destructive breath, wield draconic invocations, and gain even more draconic abilities.

Hit Die
d10

Prerequisites
Totem Dragon class feature
Breath Weapon 2d6
at least 2 invocations known
at least 4 draconic auras known
Knowledge(arcana) 7 ranks
immunity to paralysis and sleep effects

Class Skills
The dragon enthusiast's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge(arcana) (Int), Listen (Wis), Search (Int), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), and Use Magic Device (Cha).

4 + Int modifier

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special
Invocations, Draconic Auras, and Breath Weapons

1st
+0
+2
+0
+2
Frightful presence, keen senses, scales
+1 level of existing invoker class / +1 level of existing draconic aura projecting class / +1 level of existing breath weapon class

2nd
+1
+3
+0
+3
Breath effect
+1 level of existing invoker class / +1 level of existing draconic aura projecting class / +1 level of existing breath weapon class

3rd
+2
+3
+1
+3
Damage reduction +1/magic, claws and bite

4th
+3
+4
+1
+4
Blindsense 30'

5th
+3
+4
+1
+4
Scales, damage reduction 2/magic

6th
+4
+5
+2
+5
Energy immunity, tail

7th
+5
+5
+2
+5
Breath effect, damage reduction 3/magic

8th
+6/+1
+6
+2
+6
Blindsense 60'

9th
+6/+1
+6
+3
+6
Scales, damage reduction 4/magic, wings

10th
+7/+2
+7
+3
+7
???capstone???

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Dragon enthusiasts gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Invocations (Su): At each level, the dragon enthusiast gains new invocations known, new grades of invocation, and invocation caster level as if they had gained a level in an invocation-using class they belonged to before they added the prestige class. If a character had more than one invoker class before they became a dragon enthusiast, they must decide to which class they add each level of dragon enthusiast for this purpose.

Draconic Auras (Su): At each level, the dragon enthusiast gains new draconic auras known and advancement to draconic aura bonus as if they had gained a level in a draconic aura projecting class they belonged to before they added the prestige class.

Breath Weapon (Su): At each level, the dragon enthusiast advances their breath weapon damage, save DC, and range as if they had gained a level in a class they belonged to before they added the prestige class that granted a breath weapon. They must decide to which breath weapon using class they add each level of dragon enthusiast for this purpose.

Frightful Presence (Ex): A dragon enthusiast can unsettle foes with their mere presence. The ability takes effect automatically whenever the dragon enthusiast attacks, charges, uses a breath weapon, or projects a new aura. Creatures within a radius of 10 feet × the dragon enthusiast’s level are subject to the effect if they have fewer HD than twice the dragon enthusiast's level. A potentially affected creature that succeeds on a Will save (DC 10 + dragon enthusiast's level + dragon enthusiast’s Cha modifier) remains immune to that dragon enthusiast’s frightful presence for 24 hours. On a failure, creatures with fewer HD than the dragon enthusiast's level become panicked for 4d6 rounds and those with more HD than the dragon enthusiast's level become shaken for 4d6 rounds. Dragons and dragon enthusiasts ignore the frightful presence of other dragons and dragon enthusiasts.

Keen Senses (Ex): A dragon enthusiast sees four times as well as a human in shadowy illumination and twice as well in normal light. They also have darkvision out to 120 feet.

Scales (Ex): At 1st, 5th, and 9th level, the dragon enthusiast increases their natural armor by +1. This stacks with the dragonfire adept's Scales class feature, the dragon shaman's Natural Armor class feature, and any other source of natural armor.

Breath Effect (Su): At 2nd and 7th level, the dragon enthusiast can select one of the dragonfire adept breath effects for which they meet the minimum level, adding their dragonfire adept and dragon enthusiast levels to determine the minimum level. This class feature has no effect if the dragon enthusiast has no levels in dragonfire adept.

Damage Reduction (Su): At 3rd level, the draconic warlock gains damage reduction 1/magic. This stacks with the damage reduction feature of the dragonfire adept, but overlaps (does not stack) with any other sources of damage reduction. This damage reduction increases by 1 at 5th, 7th, and 9th level.

Claws and Bite (Ex): At 3rd level, a dragon enthusiast gains claw and bite attacks if they do not already have them. Use the values for the dragon disciple (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/dragonDisciple.htm)'s class feature of the same name or the enthusiast’s base claw and bite damage values, whichever are greater. A dragon enthusiast is considered proficient with these attacks. The bite is a primary natural attack that deals the indicated damage plus Strength modifier, and the claws are secondary natural attacks that deal the indicated damage plus ½ Strength modifier.

Blindsense (Ex): At 4th level, a dragon enthusiast can can pinpoint creatures within a distance of 30 feet. This distance increases to 60 feet at 8th level. Opponents the dragon enthusiast can’t actually see still have total concealment against the dragon enthusiast.

Energy Immunity (Ex): At 6th level, select one type of energy that you can use with one of your breath weapons. You gain immunity to that energy type.

Tail (Ex): At 6th level, a dragon enthusiast gains Dragon Tail (Races of the Dragon) as a bonus feat.

Wings (Ex): At 9th level, a dragon enthusiast grows a set of draconic wings. They may now fly at a speed equal to their normal land speed, with average maneuverability. In addition, the dragon enthusiast may attack with these wings, gaining two secondary natural Wing attacks that they can use even when flying. A Medium dragon enthusiast's wings deal 1d4 damage plus ½ Strength bonus.

???capstone??? (?):

pretty sure there's a variety of ways to squeak into this PrC earlier than the "intended" DFA3/DS4 (DFA3/DS2 would be a better intended point of entry because of how weak DS is, but DS doesn't get anything special at 2nd level, and when I saw the Draconic Resolve feature I was like "the PrC should have that, but it comes so early in DS's career I'll make it a prereq instead"), between the Draconic Aura feat and the Dragon type granting immunity to paralysis and sleep and both classes granting a breath weapon and so on and the existence of warlock to grant invocations known, (Draconic Auras and Minor/Major Auras are different class features, so Marshal can't be used for the auras prereq; I'd be okay with dragonborn fulfilling the breath prereq, but that advances by d8s instead of d6s and "breath weapon that lets you throw at least 2 dice for damage" is a bit awkward), but I'm okay with this, mostly because DS is very weak

in general, you'll probably always want to advance your DFA breath weapon exclusively at the expense of your DS breath weapon, as the former is strictly better, but I give a choice anyway -- I didn't want to advance both, for reasons (one reason is that having two separate equally-strong breath weapons allows spamming the most powerful metabreaths while still having something to do every round)

the Frightful Presence numbers probably need to be tweaked

soliciting suggestions for some additional, more synergistic, class features -- rather than synergy I've so far wound up going with "you get some stuff true dragons get" -- and a capstone

Dragon Marshal

Some who follow the path of the dragon focus primarily on the auras that improve their allies' abilities, dipping into the role of a commander.

Hit Die
d10

Prerequisites
Auras Known: 3 Draconic, 1 Minor, 1 Major
Skill Focus (any 2 skills)
Knowledge (arcana) 6 ranks and Knowledge (history) 6 ranks

Class Skills
The dragon marshal's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (history), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).

4 + Int modifier

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special
Auras

1st
+0
+2
+0
+2
Aura switching
+1 level of existing draconic aura projecting class / +1 level of existing aura projecting class

2nd
+1
+3
+0
+3

+1 level of existing draconic aura projecting class / +1 level of existing aura projecting class

3rd
+2
+3
+1
+3
Aura boost

4th
+3
+4
+1
+4

5th
+3
+4
+1
+4

6th
+4
+5
+2
+5

7th
+5
+5
+2
+5

8th
+6/+1
+6
+2
+6

9th
+6/+1
+6
+3
+6
Tireless boost

10th
+7/+2
+7
+3
+7
Extra Aura

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Dragon marshals gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Auras (Su/Ex): At each level, the dragon marshal gains new draconic auras known and advancement to draconic aura bonus as if they had gained a level in a draconic aura projecting class they belonged to before they added the prestige class (this is a Supernatural ability). At each level, the dragon marshal gains new minor and major auras known and advancement to major aura bonus as if they had gained a level in a (non-draconic) aura projecting class they belonged to before they added the prestige class (this is an Extraordinary ability).

Aura Switching (Ex): At first level, the dragon marshal can project multiple new auras as a single swift action. I.e., they can choose to project a new draconic, minor, and major aura as one swift action, when normally it would take three swift actions to change all three auras.

Aura Boost (Su): At third level, the dragon marshal gains the ability to empower their auras once per encounter. Using aura boost is a swift action, and its effects last for a number of rounds equal to the dragon marshal's level. For the duration of the aura boost, the effect of the dragon marshal's draconic and major auras is increased to be equal to their Charisma modifier (if their charisma modifier is greater than their existing aura bonuses). At the end of the aura boost, the dragon marshal becomes fatigued (-2 penalty to Strength, -2 penalty to Dexterity, can’t charge or run) for the duration of the current encounter (unless they is are a 9th-level dragon marshal, at which point this limitation no longer applies).

Tireless Boost (Ex): At ninth level, the dragon marshal no longer becomes fatigued at the end of their aura boost.

Extra Aura (Ex): At tenth level, the dragon marshal gains the ability to project an additional aura that they know. I.e., they can project two draconic, one minor, and one major aura; one draconic, two minor, and one major aura; or one draconic, one minor, and two major auras. They can choose to change which additional aura they project every time they use their Aura Switching ability to change multiple auras at once.

Deliberately really easy to get into at DS2/M2 (or possibly even earlier!) because both classes are hot garbage.

I'll finish this one soon!

PEACH, naturally.

JNAProductions
2018-05-29, 09:27 PM

Marry me. :P

In all seriousness, I love this! I like Warlocks, I LOVE DFAs... So yes!

Malimar
2018-05-30, 11:53 AM

Marry me. :P

In all seriousness, I love this! I like Warlocks, I LOVE DFAs... So yes!
Well, I'm glad you approve! Needs more tinkering, let me know if you have any ideas. Most of the Draconic Warlock's class features so far are basically just stuff you'd get from the classes, which misses the purpose of making a specific theurge class, which is that you can add class features that synergize the two. Otherwise we could just use Troacctid's Gestalt Theurge.

Unfortunately, most of the synergistic abilities I can think of from good theurge classes tend to be along the lines of "use a resource from one class to power something from the other class", which doesn't work when neither class has limited resources.

JoshuaZ
2018-05-30, 11:57 AM
So, far, I like what I see, but that's due in part to my own biases. I really, really like well-done theurge classes. (I don't like the term theurge as a generic in this context, given that this is an abuse of language based misinterpreting the "mystic theurge" where the word was used correctly. Unfortunately, that ship seemed to sail a while ago.)

It would be useful to list which abilities are (ex) and which are (su).

Malimar
2018-05-30, 11:58 AM
It would be useful to list which abilities are (ex) and which are (su).
RIGHT, good point, I forgot.

EDIT: And half the original abilities upon which this class's abilities are based don't have their nature listed. :smallconfused:

(I don't like the term theurge as a generic in this context, given that this is an abuse of language based misinterpreting the "mystic theurge" where the word was used correctly. Unfortunately, that ship seemed to sail a while ago.)
Yeah, I was just thinking how "theurge" is in normal contexts just a fancy word for "divine magic user", basically meaning "god-worker". But because people don't realize that, they take it to refer to this kind of class.

But alas, in the absence of better words for this concept, it's what we've got.

nonsi
2018-05-30, 11:23 PM
Here's another PrC that combines the eldritch with the draconic (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=12572931&postcount=11). Maybe you'll find it useful.

Malimar
2018-05-31, 10:46 AM
Here's another PrC that combines the eldritch with the draconic (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=12572931&postcount=11). Maybe you'll find it useful.
Excellent. I looked for such a thing, and didn't find one.

BowStreetRunner
2018-06-23, 10:04 PM
Just a note on your prerequisites: A Dragonborn with the Heart Aspect will have a 2d8 Breath Weapon at 3 HD. You can take the Extra Invocation feat multiple times with only one invocation class. Knowledge skills can get to 6 ranks by 3rd level. You're leaving open the door to some strange sort of shenanigans here, depending upon interpretations (like whether 2d8 fulfills a 2d6 requirement).

Maybe just state "the ability to use least invocations from two different base classes" or something like that. And make the Knowledge ranks 8, for a 5th level entry.

Maat Mons
2018-06-24, 03:47 AM
A couple random thoughts on Dragon Marshal:

Maybe you could provide some sort of ability to mix and match the different characteristics of the two different aura abilities? The range of auras provided by Marshal is 60 feet. The range of auras provided by Dragon Shaman is 30 feet. Auras provided by Marshal provide circumstance bonuses. Auras provided by Dragon Shaman provide untyped bonuses. Marshial auras are language-dependent, but don't require line of effect. Dragon Shaman auras require line of effect, but aren't language-dependent.

I'm not sure if you know this, but Dragon Magic provided a feat to gain an aura, as a Dragon Shaman. And, if you have the dragonblood subtype, the bonus provided increases with your character level, albeit at a slower pace than actual Dragon Shaman levels. So, you kind of already can double up on Marshal/Dragon Shaman. A dragonblooded Marshal 20 with the Draconic Aura feat projects a major aura with a bonus of +4, and a draconic aura with a bonus of +4.

Malimar
2018-06-24, 10:29 AM
Just a note on your prerequisites: A Dragonborn with the Heart Aspect will have a 2d8 Breath Weapon at 3 HD. You can take the Extra Invocation feat multiple times with only one invocation class. Knowledge skills can get to 6 ranks by 3rd level. You're leaving open the door to some strange sort of shenanigans here, depending upon interpretations (like whether 2d8 fulfills a 2d6 requirement).

Maybe just state "the ability to use least invocations from two different base classes" or something like that. And make the Knowledge ranks 8, for a 5th level entry.
Part of the fun of theurge PrCs (for some people, not for me, I'm the kind of person who generally prefers the two sides to be elegantly even) is squeezing in early through shenanigans, and I'm more or less okay with most such shenanigans.

Heart Dragonborn entry did occur to me (and would probably be fine with me, because you still need at least one level of DFA to take full advantage of the PrCs' features), but indeed the prerequisite listed is "Breath Weapon 2d6", not "breath weapon that lets you throw two dice". (It is admittedly a bit ambiguous how a "2d8 doesn't count as 2d6" ruling interacts with the intent that "3d6+ still counts as 2d6". So yeah, the door is open to shenanigans.)

You may be right about bumping the skill prereqs up. Probably 8 for Draconic Warlock, 7 for Dragon Enthusiast, 6 for Dragon Marshal, based on the respective power level of the base classes involved. EDIT: Yes, this is done.

A couple random thoughts on Dragon Marshal:

Maybe you could provide some sort of ability to mix and match the different characteristics of the two different aura abilities? The range of auras provided by Marshal is 60 feet. The range of auras provided by Dragon Shaman is 30 feet. Auras provided by Marshal provide circumstance bonuses. Auras provided by Dragon Shaman provide untyped bonuses. Marshial auras are language-dependent, but don't require line of effect. Dragon Shaman auras require line of effect, but aren't language-dependent.
Ooh, yes, this is a good feature idea.

I'm not sure if you know this, but Dragon Magic provided a feat to gain an aura, as a Dragon Shaman. And, if you have the dragonblood subtype, the bonus provided increases with your character level, albeit at a slower pace than actual Dragon Shaman levels. So, you kind of already can double up on Marshal/Dragon Shaman. A dragonblooded Marshal 20 with the Draconic Aura feat projects a major aura with a bonus of +4, and a draconic aura with a bonus of +4.
I know of the Draconic Aura feat, yes. It's probably a way to achieve early entry into either of the Dragon Shaman PrCs here. But I don't think you can project a Draconic Aura from both the feat and the Dragon Shaman, because they are both Draconic Auras, so I don't think tripling up using DS/Marshal/feat is in the cards. And getting into the PrCs without any Dragon Shaman levels at all leaves half the PrCs' abilities on the table. But I probably do have to further investigate the interaction of the feat with everything here.