PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Can you counterspell a spell after an attack roll is made?

holywhippet
2018-05-29, 04:57 PM
Say an enemy wizard tries to hit a party member with a spell that requires an attack roll. If a party member has counterspell do they need to use it before the wizard makes his attack roll or after when you know if the spell would actually hit or not?

Tubben
2018-05-29, 05:10 PM
Say an enemy wizard tries to hit a party member with a spell that requires an attack roll. If a party member has counterspell do they need to use it before the wizard makes his attack roll or after when you know if the spell would actually hit or not?

Since you dont know if the spell will hit you, you have to counter it in the moment it's being cast. If the caster is done with casting the spell, the bolts, missiles, whatever are allready on the way. Nothing to counter anymore.

ProsecutorGodot
2018-05-29, 05:15 PM
I think it's generally considered that once the attack rolls start happening that the spell is no longer being cast but instead has already been cast.

It's not really different from having to decide to counterspell something that causes you to make a save and I'm almost certain a DM wouldn't let you attempt to counterspell something that you've already failed a save against.

At that point the effect is already out in the world waiting to be resolved so I'd say no.

holywhippet
2018-05-29, 05:27 PM
I do tend to agree, but I do believe this is a difference between RAI/RAW and Rules As Actually Implemented. Most DMs would just declare their action and immediately roll their dice without stopping to ask players if they are going to try to counter it.

ProsecutorGodot
2018-05-29, 05:36 PM
I do tend to agree, but I do believe this is a difference between RAI/RAW and Rules As Actually Implemented. Most DMs would just declare their action and immediately roll their dice without stopping to ask players if they are going to try to counter it.

I don't think "Most DM's" should be doing it like that to begin with, declaring targets or the intended area of effect is a part of the casting which is intentionally separated from the effects of the spell.

In my experience "Most DM's" leave ample opportunity for a spell to be countered and those who would play it fast and loose like this aren't going to keep players at the table.

RyvernFyre
2018-05-29, 05:41 PM
I don't think "Most DM's" should be doing it like that to begin with, declaring targets or the intended area of effect is a part of the casting which is intentionally separated from the effects of the spell.

In my experience "Most DM's" leave ample opportunity for a spell to be countered and those who would play it fast and loose like this aren't going to keep players at the table.
I dunno. I have a DM that will sometimes roll before they even say what’s happening, usually with spells. The reason being, I assume, is to keep things moving and sometimes shock players. My DM that does this lets me counter spell after he rolls, however (but I can’t see the die so who knows if it would have succeeded).

And judging by some of the streams I watch, it’s not entirely uncommon for them to do this.

holywhippet
2018-05-29, 05:53 PM
I think it wouldn't be surprising for veterans of older systems to do it that way. Reaction abilities other than attacks of opportunity pretty much didn't exist in earlier editions. Even in 5th edition there aren't really that many reaction abilities anyway.

willdaBEAST
2018-05-29, 06:59 PM

I think this is a valid concern and in this scenario any reasonable person should allow you the opportunity to counterspell as a reaction, despite a die roll potentially being visible.

if you weren't paying attention, forgot you could counterspell, etc, I personally would be less sympathetic.