PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A How does the ethereal plane work?

Red Bear
2018-05-29, 06:15 PM
So for example the ghost has these 2 abilities that deal with the ethereal plane, I have almost no idea what it means and how I should play it. Can someone explain to me how it works?

Ethereal Sight. The ghost can see 60 feet into the Ethereal Plane when it is on the Material Plane, and vice versa.

Etherealness. The ghost enters the Ethereal Plane from the Material Plane, or vice versa. It is visible on the Material Plane while it is in the Border Ethereal, and viae versa, yet it can't affect or be affected by anything on the other plane.

Millstone85
2018-05-29, 06:27 PM
Have you ever watched an episode of a sci-fi series where the protagonists find themselves "out of phase". Nobody can see, hear or touch them, but they can somehow see everyone just fine.

That's the Border Ethereal in a nutshell.

But this may be the worst creature to start understanding the plane, because the ghost is incorporeal to begin with. It is also weird how the ghost stays visible from the Material while on the Ethereal.

Anyhow...

Ethereal Sight. The ghost can see 60 feet into the Ethereal Plane when it is on the Material Plane, and vice versa.When the ghost is somewhere on the Material, it can see the corresponding area on the Ethereal. In most cases, that area should be completely empty except for the occasional phase spider and such. This special sight only extends within a 60-foot radius on the Material, and the corresponding 60-foot radius on the Ethereal.

When the ghost is somewhere on the Ethereal, it can see the corresponding area on the Material. But that's already the case for any creature on the Ethereal.

Etherealness. The ghost enters the Ethereal Plane from the Material Plane, or vice versa. It is visible on the Material Plane while it is in the Border Ethereal, and vice versa, yet it can't affect or be affected by anything on the other plane.This is how the ghost moves between the Material and the Ethereal. The normal rules of the Ethereal apply, except that the ghost stays visible from the Material for some reason. Maybe to be more spooky, and make people think it can't be hurt at all?

Fire Tarrasque
2018-05-29, 07:58 PM
The Ethereal is cool!
Basically like Millstone said, but there's a bit more. Often in "out of phase" shows, they're alone. The Ethereal... It's not a lonely place. There are plenty of nasty beasties, and if you end up there too long, they will find you and eat you. Nomnomnom. For the most part sure, you'll be fine. Just don't linger. The Ethereal isn't really ONE plane either. At least in 2nd AD&D, from what I remember, the Ethereal remained everywhere, kind of like a magic atmosphere of the plane. You only really need to worry about the Material Ethereal. Each of these barely graze each other, but you can't actually reach the others. That's what the Astral plane is for, which is just a whole other thing. The Ethereal resembles a ghostly, wispy version of the plane it emanates from. An Ethereal entity can't touch a Material one, or vice versa. The Border Ethereal is just that, the border between the Material and Ethereal planes. It's basically just the Ethereal plane, don't worry about it. The DMG has a bunch more info on the Ethereal, read up!

DeadMech
2018-05-29, 08:30 PM
The Ethereal plane is a dimension layered on top of the Material. Both exist in the same 3D space but are separated by a variance in a separate 4th dimension. To simplify imagine a building with elevators at either end. By hopping in an elevator on the ground (material plane) floor you can travel to the second (ethereal plane) floor and appear in a place with the same X,Y coordinates. You can then walk across the second floor to the opposite elevator changing your X,Y coordinates. If you then take this second elevator back down you will now be on the far side of the ground floor from where you left it from. In DnD natural portals between planes would be these elevators. Some beings though use magic or other supernatural abilities to create their own means of traveling between them.

Another way to think of it may be as radio stations. Every radio station (plane) is a specific frequency. Every radio station's frequency is flying through the air right now. But you can't see them. Your eyes don't react to the electromagnetic spectrum anywhere near that range. But by changing the length of wire using a dial on a radio you can turn that frequency into something you are able to sense.

Ghosts and other similar entities are generally said to have failed to let go of the material plane when they died. The souls of people who die typically end up slipping out of the material plane, likely through the ethereal plane, and end up either in the afterlife or else the place souls go for sorting to their afterlife. But due to the extreme emotion and short time span of their death some souls become trapped. Rather than passing on they keep coming back to the place on the material plane where they died. While on the Ethereal plane part of their consciousness wants to hold onto the Material plane. While they are on the Material plane part of their consciousness wants to pass on through the ethereal plane. This is probably why you can see them regardless of which plane they are on. Because some trace of them refuses to leave. This might also explain their ability to see as well. I think typically you can see out of the ethereal plane and into the material though. That might just be me holding onto 3.5 though.

I generally like to imagine the Ethereal plane natively has a separate dimensionality to it. Aside from moving in three dimensions beings there are able to sink deeper into the plane moving farther and farther away from the material plane. Sinking into the mists. Though if you do there isn't any guarantee you'll be able to find your way back if you try to float back. Once you lose sight of where you came from you might get lost and end up in a part of the ethereal plane that borders some other world.

Millstone85
2018-05-30, 04:44 AM
You only really need to worry about the Material Ethereal. Each of these barely graze each other, but you can't actually reach the others. That's what the Astral plane is for, which is just a whole other thing.From the DMG, here is the list of planes that each have their own Border Ethereal:
* Material Plane
* Shadowfell
* Feywild
* Plane of Air
* Plane of Earth
* Plane of Fire
* Plane of Water
* Elemental Chaos

The Border Ethereals are separated by the Deep Ethereal. This is not the Astral Plane, though it ressembles it in many ways.

Some musings of mine:
* I wish it were possible to step into the Deep Ethereal by casting etherealness while on the Border Ethereal. That would be well within the 4th-dimension theme. But alas no, you can't do that.
* Having a Border Ethereal makes the Elemental Chaos slightly more visitable than the Positive/Negative Planes. By planeshifting directly to that Border Ethereal, you may be able to safely witness the great maelstrom of raw elemental expanses.
* By RAW, a ghost would be weaker on the Shadowfell than it is on the Material, because both its Ethereal Sight trait and Etherealness action specifically mention the Material Plane.

Red Bear
2018-05-30, 10:40 AM
Thanks everyone, I think I get the general idea but, does it mean the ghost can become immune to everything at will?

willdaBEAST
2018-05-30, 10:55 AM
Thanks everyone, I think I get the general idea but, does it mean the ghost can become immune to everything at will?

For low level characters without access to the Ethereal plane, yes. The ghost basically removes itself from reach of the party. The same is true with Night Hags which is part of what makes them so dangerous.

I have a bit of an ancillary question. How does distance work between the Ethereal and Material planes in terms of spell effects? If a NPC or PC casts a spell require X distance from the target to maintain the spell, does traveling to the Ethereal plane end the spell?

Unoriginal
2018-05-30, 11:08 AM
For low level characters without access to the Ethereal plane, yes. The ghost basically removes itself from reach of the party. The same is true with Night Hags which is part of what makes them so dangerous.

I have a bit of an ancillary question. How does distance work between the Ethereal and Material planes in terms of spell effects? If a NPC or PC casts a spell require X distance from the target to maintain the spell, does traveling to the Ethereal plane end the spell?

Crawford said that no, the spell is maintened, if it's only a question of distance.

Millstone85
2018-05-30, 12:05 PM
Crawford said that no, the spell is maintened, if it's only a question of distance.Really? :smalleek:

That would make etherealness considerably more useful. Do you have a link?

Red Bear
2018-05-30, 09:47 PM
Do you think the ghost needs to spend 1 action to change plane?

DeadMech
2018-05-31, 01:39 AM
Do you think the ghost needs to spend 1 action to change plane?

Etherealness is listed under actions in the monster manual I'm looking at, so yes.