PDA

View Full Version : New Class- The Power Ranger!

JohnFJoestar
2018-05-30, 12:32 AM
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forums, though I've been lurking for a few years. That said, I'm working on a few homebrew classes and was hoping to get your help! So, without further ado, I present, the Power Ranger. (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Spo9b-HFhhBZs-QydsJjZoHhD_A9YQDWw77PaJG9_Ow/edit?usp=sharing) This isn't my first class I've worked on, but this is the farthest I've gotten with one. I'd like to hear what you all think of it. Does it seem generally balanced? Overpowered? Underpowered?

Gorum
2018-05-31, 06:30 AM
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forums, though I've been lurking for a few years. That said, I'm working on a few homebrew classes and was hoping to get your help! So, without further ado, I present, the Power Ranger. (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Spo9b-HFhhBZs-QydsJjZoHhD_A9YQDWw77PaJG9_Ow/edit?usp=sharing) This isn't my first class I've worked on, but this is the farthest I've gotten with one. I'd like to hear what you all think of it. Does it seem generally balanced? Overpowered? Underpowered?

Morph What are your bonded weapon / armor?
Super Strength / Powerful Attack Why would you replace your unarmed attack damage by your super strength while other ADD to it? Or is it that Powerful Attack makes an unarmed strike deal twice the Super Strength damage?
Battle Cry. Can my level 3 Power Ranger make the Tarrasque frightened of it thrice per day without risk of failure?
Improved Morph. Never increase modifiers. Increase stats. Multiply that by 2, gives you the same result.
Improved Battle Cry. Is a character at 3 miles with no feat within "30 feats" of me if I have only 1 feat, for the Improved battle cry? Once more, does this make a pack of Ancient Red Dragons (each CR 24, each have less than 30 feats) frightened of me? Does it last for eternity?
Wild Force What are the downsides? Why wouldn't I choose this?
Turbo Is the Turbo-Wild-Zeo-Morph supposed to be mutually exclusive?
Lightspeed Rescue Do you really want to put a good/evil factor in there? For example, a fire could cleanse a disease-ridden building, and violent dictators do end-up in trouble. But the dictators could end up being redeemed and the residents of the building ruined.
Zord Just type "of the color" between "Dragon" and "of their choice". Otherwise, you'll have Rangers impersonating Dragons.
Overdrive Now THIS is supposed to stack with Turbo-Wild-Zeo-morphin, right?
Megazord See Zord.

Now to answer your questions:
If Battle Cry allows a Cha save, the "Force" powers don't stack, the "feat" thing is a typo and the bonded items have to be supplied by the character (i.e.: It's not free magic gear), I'd say the class is slightly underpowered. I like the Powerful Attack ability as it is very flexible, but I fear its progression is a bit on the weak side. After all, multiclassing Rogue 1 would make a Power Ranger 19 gain a much more reliable damage source. As would warlock 1 through the spell Hex.

I would also make the Lightspeed Rescue ability wear another name and have another trigger. Nothing wrong with "non-combat actions for which the character is denied the option to take 10 and that could result in harm". This way, one could make a non-good Ranger (what if harm WAS his goal), and morally justifiable grey actions (saving an evil person) would be included without the moral dilemma.

More importantly, I would make additions:

1) The dragon's color must be chosen when the character earns the "Zord" ability. The color can be re-trained as other class abilities.
2) A power point can be expended to heal the Power Ranger. Doing so heal the Power Ranger as if he spent a Power Ranger Hit Die.
3) Powerful Attack bypasses all immunities and resistance (it still retains its low damage value)
4) IF they have different colors, multiple Power Rangers can combine their MegaZords abilities, forming one bigger Dragon. The resulting Dragon has +1 Size category, cumulative HP, cumulative attack damage and breath weapon damage and effects, can use one Morph upgrade per Ranger (e.g. two rangers could get the Zeo and Turbo abilities) and can use Points of Power of any and all combined Rangers. When MegaZords are combined, each Power Ranger forming it makes a Charisma roll. The highest roll gets to control the combined MegaZord for the first turn, and then it goes in decreasing order.

Then you have a reason to make a Full Power Ranger party.

Finally, while I did enjoy writting this post, I wouldn't play in a DnD game with a Power Ranger. You need Shadowrun / Fate / Rifts / Gurps / a superhero system or Silouhette to not disintegrate any suspension of disbelief. Here's a gift for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWW9D_kFezE