PDA

View Full Version : Contest Monster Design Contest Chat Thread-Shapeshifters! [5E]

JNAProductions
2018-05-30, 01:07 AM
This contest's theme is Shapeshifters.

This contest will end 6/29/18.

Hello, and welcome all to the Chat thread for a Monster Design Contest for 5E! Requirements are as follows:
-Must be original content. An updated monster from an earlier edition or a mythological monster is okay to make, but the statblock itself should be your own unique creation.
-The monster must be made for this contest. No submitting an earlier work!
-The monster should be linked to in the Submissions (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?560103-Monster-Design-Contest-Submissions-Thread-Shapeshifters!-5E&p=23110838#post23110838) thread. It can be posted elsewhere, but must be easily accessible from there.
-Multiple monsters may be submitted if they are part of the same grouping. For instance, a set of Giants is acceptable, but a Giant, a Toad, and an Elemental are not.

And... Um, that's about it, that I can think of. CR 0 is just as valid as CR 30. If anyone has any ideas for more rules, feel free to suggest!

Submissions Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?560103-Monster-Design-Contest-Submissions-Thread-Shapeshifters!-5E&p=23110838#post23110838)

Ninja_Prawn
2018-05-30, 02:19 AM
-The monster must be made for this contest. No submitting an earlier work!

Hmm. The next monster in my queue to be released on tumblr is a shapechanger. Would that be acceptable as a submission? It's never been published anywhere before, but it was written a couple of weeks ago.

Requilac
2018-05-30, 09:08 AM
I would like to enter this competition, but I would like some clarification on some of the rules before I make anything

1) What qualifies as a shapeshifter? Does it have to be able to polymorph as per the the shape-change feature or would something that projects an illusionary form, an ooze without a definite shape or a creature which goes through evolutionary stages be allowed? Shapechanging is an ambiguous term.

2) Can we take features from other monsters or must every feature be original?

3) Would creating more variants of already existing monsters be acceptable (such as making new dragons, sorrowsworn or demons)?

4) When are the submissions due by?

5) How will it be decided who wins?

JNAProductions
2018-05-30, 12:24 PM
Hmm. The next monster in my queue to be released on tumblr is a shapechanger. Would that be acceptable as a submission? It's never been published anywhere before, but it was written a couple of weeks ago.

If it was written a few weeks ago, Imma have to say no.

I would like to enter this competition, but I would like some clarification on some of the rules before I make anything

1) What qualifies as a shapeshifter? Does it have to be able to polymorph as per the the shape-change feature or would something that projects an illusionary form, an ooze without a definite shape or a creature which goes through evolutionary stages be allowed? Shapechanging is an ambiguous term.

2) Can we take features from other monsters or must every feature be original?

3) Would creating more variants of already existing monsters be acceptable (such as making new dragons, sorrowsworn or demons)?

4) When are the submissions due by?

5) How will it be decided who wins?

1) Up to you. Obviously it should have some shapechanging element to it, but how far you want to go is up to you.

2) Feel free to snag features from other monsters. Only caveat is that if you're stealing a homebrew feature from someone, CREDIT THEM.

3) Sure, that's fine.

4) Imma give everyone a month from yesterday-so 6/29/18.

5) Voting. I just haven't made a voting thread yet because there's no point making one until it's actually voting time.

Requilac
2018-05-30, 04:47 PM

1) Up to you. Obviously it should have some shapechanging element to it, but how far you want to go is up to you.

2) Feel free to snag features from other monsters. Only caveat is that if you're stealing a homebrew feature from someone, CREDIT THEM.

3) Sure, that's fine.

4) Imma give everyone a month from yesterday-so 6/29/18.

5) Voting. I just haven't made a voting thread yet because there's no point making one until it's actually voting time.

Its a shame I already posted the stats for Deep Ones, I could have made a pretty good submission here about them and their varying levels of evolution. Regardless of that, thank you for your responses. I will see what my mind conjures up.

PhoenixPhyre
2018-05-30, 05:56 PM

What if it was written and used, but has been heavily modified for this contest?

Edit: I guess this is a moot point--I completely re-wrote it instead. Same theme, same high-level abilities, completely different stat block(s).

Requilac
2018-06-09, 03:21 PM
Do any of you know how to get an image from a Windows 7 computer into a format where it can be shown over GitP? I already tried downloading a photo to Google Drive, but I can't manage to turn them into a JPG, JPEG, or PNG file so that they would show. I could always post links I suppose, but I don't think people are going to appreciate me having four different links for the stat-blocks of all of my monsters. @ Pheonyxphyre, what did you do? The pictures for the Twisted Shaman are clearly from homebrewery, so how did you put the pictures of those statblocks into a format visible over GitP?

Also @ JNA Productions, how were you able to format the Intelligent Armors? I assume you must be using some sort of code, but I have hardly ever seen it.

PhoenixPhyre
2018-06-09, 03:34 PM
Do any of you know how to get an image from a Windows 7 computer into a format where it can be shown over GitP? I already tried downloading a photo to Google Drive, but I can't manage to turn them into a JPG, JPEG, or PNG file so that they would show. I could always post links I suppose, but I don't think people are going to appreciate me having four different links for the stat-blocks of all of my monsters. @ Pheonyxphyre, what did you do? The pictures for the Twisted Shaman are clearly from homebrewery, so how did you put the pictures of those statblocks into a format visible over GitP?

Also @ JNA Productions, how were you able to format the Intelligent Armors? I assume you must be using some sort of code, but I have hardly ever seen it.

You have to host the pictures somewhere. I use my personal web host. You can't just upload them to gitp. I'm willing to let others use my hosting, but you'd have to send me the image somehow. Or there are image hosts out there that allow hot links.

Requilac
2018-06-09, 03:40 PM
You have to host the pictures somewhere. I use my personal web host. You can't just upload them to gitp. I'm willing to let others use my hosting, but you'd have to send me the image somehow. Or there are image hosts out there that allow hot links.

Image hosting... not very fond of that at all. Those sites all tend to lose their photos pretty easily. Not to mention their rife with viruses even if you use them properly. And even then they don't work the same for all browsers, which is exactly the problem I am running into with homebrewery. What a shame. I think I need to find some other way, but thank you for your assistance.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-06-09, 03:42 PM
Or there are image hosts out there that allow hot links.

I use tinypic (http://tinypic.com/). It's extremely terrible, but I can't find anything better that doesn't cost actual money to use. On the plus side, I've been using it for 4 years and they haven't lost a single picture yet.

Requilac
2018-06-09, 03:47 PM
I use tinypic (http://tinypic.com/). It's extremely terrible, but I can't find anything better that doesn't cost actual money to use. On the plus side, I've been using it for 4 years and they haven't lost a single picture yet.

The issue with image hosting sites is that they don't work the same for all browsers. For example, I can't even see photobucket images and see that dial all over people's signatures and home brew documents. The reason I want a system other than homebrewery is because I need something universally applicable to most if not all browsers. Maybe that simply can't be achieved unless on GitP itself, but I am not sure.

MoleMage
2018-06-09, 04:53 PM
Drive supports image hosting. Choose to "publish" in the sharing options and it will produce a stable url for the image that GitP can use (I have done this but not for a few months so updates may have rendered this info inaccurate).

To convert file type, use image editing software such as GIMP. Paint can do it for some file types. Load the image in and then Save As to the target type.

Requilac
2018-06-09, 05:14 PM
Drive supports image hosting. Choose to "publish" in the sharing options and it will produce a stable url for the image that GitP can use (I have done this but not for a few months so updates may have rendered this info inaccurate).

To convert file type, use image editing software such as GIMP. Paint can do it for some file types. Load the image in and then Save As to the target type.

I can download the file to google drive fine and create the link, but when I do so Drive turns the file into something else. Even though the original picture was JPG or PNG. I need to be able to turn it back into its JPG or PNG form after it has been downloaded into Drive, but I don't quite know how. Third party software I suppose is always possible, not my preferred approach, but I suppose I could look into it.

Requilac
2018-06-10, 10:44 PM
Alright, I finally found a way to get what I want. By saving all the statblock photos to google drive I could insert them all into the same document. It's sadly not over GitP, but all the details are in one link. Thank you for anyone who tried to help me!

Blackbando
2018-06-11, 06:29 AM
Oooh, these mosquito-vampire guys you've made, Requilac, they give me serious Darkest Dungeon vibes, and I like that a lot.

Requilac
2018-06-11, 05:26 PM
Oooh, these mosquito-vampire guys you've made, Requilac, they give me serious Darkest Dungeon vibes, and I like that a lot.

Thank you. I have never played Darkest Dungeon before, but I have heard good review so that must be some decently high praise. Really though I am not the one that should be accredited for the a"vibes", it was all ideas stolen from The Brother's Grimm and other posters on GitP. As I always like to say, creativity in literary media isn't about creating original ideas, its about mixing all the tropes together into a form which is so unrecognizable people think it is original.

WarrentheHero
2018-06-12, 01:27 PM
I've put up my submission, for Mimics. It's a 3-in-1 submission, with two variants as well. It's just a Doc right now instead of a link to GM Binder because something went horrible horrible wrong in GM Binder.

Requilac
2018-07-04, 01:57 PM
Hey JNA, isn't the competition over? Where is the voting thread?

JNAProductions
2018-07-04, 07:43 PM
With only four results... I'm not sure it's really worth it. This didn't get as much attention as I had hoped.

That being said, I really do appreciate everyone who entered! Hope you had fun designing the monsters, at least!

Requilac
2018-07-04, 08:52 PM
With only four results... I'm not sure it's really worth it. This didn't get as much attention as I had hoped.

That being said, I really do appreciate everyone who entered! Hope you had fun designing the monsters, at least!

I would say it’s worht it regardless of the four entries. I will make a voting thread if you don’t. It feels like an empty conclusion for it to end without voting.

JNAProductions
2018-07-04, 09:05 PM
That's fair. I'll make one.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?563030-Monster-Design-Contest-Voting-Thread-Shapeshifters!-5E&p=23198932#post23198932

PhoenixPhyre
2018-07-05, 12:00 PM
@Ninja_Prawn:

It was designed to be considered a single 2-stage monster, so the total HP is used. Or you can consider it two separate solo encounters without a break. I'm not sure how much it changes things all considered. I'd probably go with the first for simplicity sake.

Requilac
2018-07-05, 12:11 PM
I like all of these. My order really just came down to personal taste in the end...

2. Yubsharasehn. I like that the whole lifecycle is represented. There are a few niggles in the stat blocks but overall very good.

A few "niggles" in the statblock? Could you describe what you believe I messed up with in the statblock, because I never noticed a problem with them... except for the misnamed "earth glide" feature for the Cocoon.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-07-05, 12:39 PM
A few "niggles" in the statblock? Could you describe what you believe I messed up with in the statblock, because I never noticed a problem with them... except for the misnamed "earth glide" feature for the Cocoon.

Earth Glide was definitley one of the niggles. Others:

Either the biophage's AC should be 14 or Alert Defense should key off Wis.
I'd have used the boilerplate Blood Frenzy instead of Feast of Blood. Combat in 5e is fast-paced, so you want things like that to come online quickly, before the PCs have destroyed all the monsters.
To my understanding, Parry usually adds proficiency bonus to AC (which would be +2 for the cocoon).
It feels off that the adult (at least) isn't fully immune to charmed/frightened, given the fluff.
The "possibly including Conjure Spectre" clause feels weird. Why possibly? Can it replace both attacks with Conjure Spectre?
I don't like that the vampyre's best damage option (aside from when Hunger for Life is active) is a glaive. I feel like a big scary monster like that shouldn't need tools, you know? But that's just a matter of taste.
Nothing major really.

Requilac
2018-07-05, 01:20 PM
Earth Glide was definitley one of the niggles. Others:

Either the biophage's AC should be 14 or Alert Defense should key off Wis.
I'd have used the boilerplate Blood Frenzy instead of Feast of Blood. Combat in 5e is fast-paced, so you want things like that to come online quickly, before the PCs have destroyed all the monsters.
To my understanding, Parry usually adds proficiency bonus to AC (which would be +2 for the cocoon).
It feels off that the adult (at least) isn't fully immune to charmed/frightened, given the fluff.
The "possibly including Conjure Spectre" clause feels weird. Why possibly? Can it replace both attacks with Conjure Spectre?
I don't like that the vampyre's best damage option (aside from when Hunger for Life is active) is a glaive. I feel like a big scary monster like that shouldn't need tools, you know? But that's just a matter of taste.
Nothing major really.

Alright, I will make some changes, even though I know it's not going to change anyone's vote

1) Alert Defense does key off of Wisdom though.

2) Keep in mind that 5e relies on multiple encounters per day, and these monsters have a very sly tactic, so they are typically expected to fight the party while they are low on resources.

3) I did not know that about parry. Fixed.

4) It is supposed to be immune to being charmed, frightened and Unconscious, but I suppose that the change didn't register. Fixed.

5) what I meant by "possibly including Conjure Specter" is that it counted as an attack for the purposes of multi-attack, so the vampyre could attack twice with its Specter or once with its Conjure Specter and use a different attack. I could see how that was confusing though, so I clarified it.

6) I thought that the imagery of them with the glaive was much more interesting, but that's just my opinion.

Requilac
2018-07-09, 06:58 PM
Here are my counts for the votes so far...

Yubsharasehn by Requilac: 11
Mimics by WarrentheHero: 9
Twisted Shaman by Pheonyxphyre: 7
Intelligent Armors by JNA Productions: 3

Yubshrasehn are in gold, Mimics are in silver, and Twisted Shaman is in bronze.

If no one else votes, which seems likely considering that it has been four days since the last vote, then these will be the results.