PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Should my Barbarian multiclass to druid?

SirSpazalot
2018-05-30, 05:04 AM
I have a level 3 bear totem Barbarian (filling the tank role) and I was thinking about multiclassing into Moon druid and going the rest of the way with that...

my stats are:
Str 18 | Dex 14 | Con 16 | Int 14| Wis 14| Cha 14

I am variant human with Great weapon master feat.

Now the question: is it a good idea?
my biggest concern is possibly wasting GWM and high stat in Str, But i would probably end up playing it as half the time human/half the time bear (or other animal) form for RP reasons.

hymer
2018-05-30, 05:12 AM
I wouldn't do that. You are rather deep into barbarian to start into a druid if you intend to have it be your main shtick. And when you aren't druiding, barb3 doesn't have the oomph you need to whack people over the head.
If I were you, I'd go to barb5 before even considering any multiclass, and if I then wanted some druidic flavour in the character, I'd dip 2-3 levels of druid. Between spells and wild shapes, you get a lot of utility there. But taking those levels before Extra Attack seems fatal to me.

Don't get me wrong, a moon druid X/barbarian 3 can be quite viable. But I'd get there by having a single level of barbarian until druid 10. That's a much more playable way to level.

Maybe you can get the DM to let you visually (but not mechanically) turn into a bear when you rage? Or something like that.

CTurbo
2018-05-30, 06:07 AM
I could see dipping later on but certainly not before Barbarian 5. It's a tough decision though as you'll lose all those good physical stats when wildshaped and yeah GWM will be wasted.

nickl_2000
2018-05-30, 06:38 AM
I'm inclined to agree with the others here. Going 2 levels Moon Druid right now would delay that second attack and that is extremely powerful for you.

That being said, does being able to turn into a bear or some other animal fit into your character? Is it something that you really want to do? Because if the answers to this are yes, you can make it work for you. You get a bonus to AC and can rage while wildshaped to make the bonus HP pool last longer than it would normally due to resistance. Plus the utility you can get from it is pretty crazy (oh and guidance, all the guidance usefulness)

Citan
2018-05-30, 01:03 PM
I wouldn't do that. You are rather deep into barbarian to start into a druid if you intend to have it be your main shtick. And when you aren't druiding, barb3 doesn't have the oomph you need to whack people over the head.
If I were you, I'd go to barb5 before even considering any multiclass, and if I then wanted some druidic flavour in the character, I'd dip 2-3 levels of druid. Between spells and wild shapes, you get a lot of utility there. But taking those levels before Extra Attack seems fatal to me.

Don't get me wrong, a moon druid X/barbarian 3 can be quite viable. But I'd get there by having a single level of barbarian until druid 10. That's a much more playable way to level.

Maybe you can get the DM to let you visually (but not mechanically) turn into a bear when you rage? Or something like that.
100% agreed on that, with Moon Druid 3 being my advised target, simply because there are many 2nd level spells that your party could use (Darkvision, Enhance Ability, Pass Without Trace, Lesser Restoration)...