PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Best spell to free-Maximize?

Xhosant
2018-05-30, 07:12 AM
Assuming you have occasional access to a free maximize spell mid-combat, what spell would you favor to maximize?

Strong contenders are Poison, Sound Lance and Lahm's Finger Darts, but all those don't factor in that the maximizing is free, and I can only assume that opens all sorts of options. All sources are a go, so long as it's first party 3.0/3.5, and if the former, there's no 3.5 update to break it.

Zaq
2018-05-30, 08:55 AM
Awaken or any of its derivatives would count as cheating, right?

Anyway, if you’re trying to do damage, then simply whichever spell you have access to that has the biggest damage expression once maximized is probably going to be your go-to. You mentioned Lahm’s Finger Darts, and I agree that spells that do ability damage are beastly when maximized.

2018-05-30, 09:03 AM
I don't see why the cost of the maximizing changes which obes are optimal. They're still all competing for the same slot level, the slot they're competing for is just lower now.

Xhosant
2018-05-30, 09:39 AM
Awaken or any of its derivatives would count as cheating, right?

Anyway, if you’re trying to do damage, then simply whichever spell you have access to that has the biggest damage expression once maximized is probably going to be your go-to. You mentioned Lahm’s Finger Darts, and I agree that spells that do ability damage are beastly when maximized.

Oh, I wouldn't have thought of that! Yea, if you're gonna expend exp, it might as well be maximized!

I don't see why the cost of the maximizing changes which obes are optimal. They're still all competing for the same slot level, the slot they're competing for is just lower now.

Cause spells of level 7-9 tend to be powerful even as a base :P at +3 spell level, these would either require much more investment than just getting them known, or not be an option until epic levels (maybe)

Bakkan
2018-05-30, 09:49 AM
Shivering touch is a fairly obvious choice. It goes from having a decent chance of incapacitating a fraction of the Monster Manual to definitely incapacitating nearly all of the Monster Manual.

Darrin
2018-05-30, 10:23 AM
Aspect of the wolf + maximized awaken.

ben-zayb
2018-05-30, 11:40 AM
Time Stop?

The Viscount
2018-05-30, 12:01 PM
Assuming that you can get picky with when to apply the maximize effects, a number of the Prismatic spells become pretty fun.

ExLibrisMortis
2018-05-30, 05:46 PM
Summon monster doesn't benefit too much from Maximize, being only 1d4+1, but getting a guaranteed five mobs from the VII list is pretty good for crowd control.

Helluin
2018-05-30, 06:13 PM
Do you have a Druid friend? If so, Venomfire might be good.
If not, Reciprocal Gyre is a great spell if you know you will be dealing with spellcasters regularly.

Xhosant
2018-05-30, 07:15 PM
Do you have a Druid friend? If so, Venomfire might be good.
If not, Reciprocal Gyre is a great spell if you know you will be dealing with spellcasters regularly.

I was looking at that, wondering what kind of setup it would take to stack 25 pointless buffs with no save on the enemy before it :p

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-05-30, 07:19 PM
Chained greater dispel magic?

Jack_Simth
2018-05-30, 07:36 PM
Chained greater dispel magic?

Good for turning off all of a target's exposed items for a few rounds (you don't have line of effect to the rings worn under their gloves, for instance). But that's the only "variable numeric effect" on the list for that one. Still, it IS a good one against item-using opponents.

Helluin
2018-05-31, 03:04 AM
I was looking at that, wondering what kind of setup it would take to stack 25 pointless buffs with no save on the enemy before it :p

Huh... I think I confused the SpC version of this spell with the CM version, which only deals d6 damage - doesn’t seem as good as the SpC version (d12 damage)... except the CM version is based on total LEVEL of spells, not number.
At level 10, a Wizard/Cleric can conceivably have 15-20 levels of long term spells active in combat (let’s see, for a Wizard, there is Overland Flight, Magic Circle against Alignment, False Life, Mage Armor, Heart of X line, maybe things like Heroes’ Feast from their Cleric buddy etc.), that’s ~100 damage, caps at 150, plus 6 rounds of daze if they fail the fort save, still not TOO shabby, but probably not something you want to spend an important ability on...
I’d stick with Venomfire if you or anyone in your party can wildshape/polymorph into a fleshraker, or has one as an animal companion.

Another spell that just came to my mind is Parboil, 5th level AoE spells that deals 8 Int damage if they fail the fort save. Combine it with a quickened Ray of Stupidity, and you can probably cripple a Wizard/Psion/Archivist and basically kill anyone else that’s not immune to ability damage.

Fynzmirs
2018-05-31, 01:24 PM
Ocular ray-splitted twin still silent repeating fiery fell-draining fell-frightening fell-animating fell-weakening chain enervating empowered fortified lingering reaping searing umbral violated wounding magic missile :smallbiggrin:

If you manage to see your enemy, he will be dead.

But seriously, many already metamagic'd spells are worth maximizing.

NineInchNall
2018-05-31, 04:09 PM
Silent image.

No, I'm not joking, which is why my characters usually have a way to have that maximization happen all the time.

Xhosant
2018-05-31, 04:47 PM
I'm... not seeing it.

Feantar
2018-05-31, 05:12 PM
If we're talking blasting, a reserves of strength unlocked Manyjaws maybe? Or, for higher level, a maw of chaos. In case of a sorcerer, without needing Reserves of Strength, Wings of Flurry.

If not, the awaken series (Awaken, Awaken Undead, Incarnate Construct) is a good suggestion.

I'm... not seeing it.
I think they are referring to shadowcraft mage.

NineInchNall
2018-05-31, 05:37 PM
I think they are referring to shadowcraft mage.

Got it in one.