PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Warcaster or Resilient(con)?

FoxDropz
2018-05-30, 08:50 AM
Hey guys.

I need a little help deciding my 4th level feat.

I am a Variant Human Tempest Cleric.
My stats are 16/12/13/10/16/8. (standard array)
I took HAM on level 1.
I have 25 Hitpoints.
My AC is 18, I wield a Warhammer + Shield.
My party also has a Fighter (tank), a Sorcerer, a Monk and a Rogue.

*Things to take in account: My DM already lets me use spells wielding shield and weapon. He also let me have booming blade as a cantrip.

Should I grab Warcaster or Resilient(con) and why?

EDIT: More important information> We are running Curse of Strahd campaign and the DM said our "endgame level" would be around level 10.
EDIT2: Another sugestion would be going for +2Wis at lvl4 .

nickl_2000
2018-05-30, 08:59 AM
Most of the time resilient con is better than warcaster, since it gives a greater bonus in the long run and con saves are a wonderful thing.

However, in your case I think you would be better off with Warcaster. You are low level still, so advantage will give you a greater bonus right now over prof bonus to concentration saves. More so than that, being able to cast booming blade as a reaction on a critter that is already moving (thus going to trigger then bonus damage from BB) is to powerful to pass up right now.

EDIT:
Although looking at your odd CON stat, resilient Con does have a huge advantage there. Still I think Warcaster now, +2 Wis at level 8, and Resilient Con at level 12 is the way I would go with this character

FoxDropz
2018-05-30, 10:52 AM
Most of the time resilient con is better than warcaster, since it gives a greater bonus in the long run and con saves are a wonderful thing.

However, in your case I think you would be better off with Warcaster. You are low level still, so advantage will give you a greater bonus right now over prof bonus to concentration saves. More so than that, being able to cast booming blade as a reaction on a critter that is already moving (thus going to trigger then bonus damage from BB) is to powerful to pass up right now.

EDIT:
Although looking at your odd CON stat, resilient Con does have a huge advantage there. Still I think Warcaster now, +2 Wis at level 8, and Resilient Con at level 12 is the way I would go with this character

There are two things I forgot to say: We are running Curse of Strahd campaign and the DM said our "endgame level" would be around level 10.

RSP
2018-05-30, 11:02 AM
Hey guys.

I took HAM on level 1.
I have 25 Hitpoints.

*Things to take in account: My DM already lets me use spells wielding shield and weapon. He also let me have booming blade as a cantrip.

EDIT: 2 more important information> We are running Curse of Strahd campaign and the DM said our "endgame level" would be around level 10.

If components aren't an issue, you don't need one of Warcaster's benefits. I believe Prof in Constitution Saves is a better benefit than Advantage on Concentration Saves. I'd also go with +1 Con (and the ensuing +1 HP/lvl)>casting a spell instead of AoO.

Looking at it this way, it's an easy choice to take Resilient (Con).

Specter
2018-05-30, 11:28 AM
Ah, the old dilemma.

90% of the time, I recommend Resilient. But in your case, it can go either way. Why? Because you can use spells as opportunity attacks. No one is very afraid of a Cleric opportunity attack, but a Hold Person or Banishment lets you tank much more and keep your more fragile allies safer. You just have to decide wjether that's a lower CON score.

guachi
2018-05-30, 11:54 AM
You have a 13 Constitution so I'd take Resilient(Con) to get the proficiency bonus and the extra HP. Then I'd take +2 Wisdom at level 8.

Or do the reverse and take +2 Wisdom at level 4 and Resilient(Con) at level 8 when damage ramps up.

FoxDropz
2018-05-30, 12:53 PM
You have a 13 Constitution so I'd take Resilient(Con) to get the proficiency bonus and the extra HP. Then I'd take +2 Wisdom at level 8.

Or do the reverse and take +2 Wisdom at level 4 and Resilient(Con) at level 8 when damage ramps up.

Taking +2 WIS at lvl4 would be a good option too!

Pex
2018-05-30, 12:59 PM
I go by optimization. If you have an odd Constitution score take Resilient. If even take War Caster. The exception for taking Resilient on an even score is if next ASI you will go +1/+1 on two odd scores one of which is Constitution.

emduck
2018-05-30, 02:05 PM
At level four, war caster and resilient (CON) will be worth around a +3 to your concentration save, since your CON is odd. However, resilient gives you a boost on all CON saves, not just concentration ones, and 4 extra HP.

By level 10, resilient will let you pass a DC10 concentration save 85% of the time. War caster will let you pass a DC10 84% of the time. Again, not a huge difference on the whole. But resilient gives you +5 to all your other CON saves and 10 HP.

The concentration bonus is basically a wash, IMO. Since you don't need the somatic component benefit, the real question is whether you'd rather have proficiency to all your other CON saves and +1 HP/level versus the ability to cast a spell as your AOO. Which is pretty much up to your play style.

RSP
2018-05-30, 03:21 PM
At level four, war caster and resilient (CON) will be worth around a +3 to your concentration save, since your CON is odd.

Unless I'm mistaken, here's the breakdown, assuming DC 10 Concentration check with the OP's stats:

Resilient (Con):
Lvls 1-4 75% pass
Lvls 5-8 80% pass
Lvls 9-12 85% pass

Warcaster:
Straight 84% pass (that is, it won't appreciate with level)

So Warcaster will be better or about even for passing DC 10 Concentration checks over the course of the campaign.

The benefit for Resilient (Con), in terms of passing Concentration checks, is it can help with passing higher DCs, with a chance to pass DCs up to 26 at level 9. Warcaster will never be able to beat a DC higher than 21.

So with a DC 15 check, the odds are 50%/55%/60% for Resilient, and a straight 51% for Warcaster: Resilient is better. With a DC 20 check, Resilient passes 25%/30%/35% of the time, while Warcaster only succeeds 19% of the time.

Hope these numbers help you decide!

Finieous
2018-05-30, 03:28 PM
I haven't played it, but I'm guessing there's stuff in CoS where Con save proficiency (and a +2 Con bonus) would come in handy.

Citan
2018-05-30, 05:25 PM
Hey guys.

I took HAM on level 1.
I have 25 Hitpoints.

EDIT: More important information> We are running Curse of Strahd campaign and the DM said our "endgame level" would be around level 10.
EDIT2: Another sugestion would be going for +2Wis at lvl4 .
Hi!
In your case my vote goes for Resilient: Constitution, no doubt, 100% easy.
1. Warcaster's free somatic is redundant, DM waived shield problem for you.
2. Advantage is better at low level, but Resilient would raise the floor AND give you more HP AND give you a tad better chance of escape nasty CON-targeting effects.
3. Booming Blade as a reaction is worth it, but not worth enough at level 5 (you could take Warcaster as level 8 feat though even if it would still be essentially for extra good concentration).

Resilience seem important for Curse of Strahd campaign from what I read so... :)

Aaron Underhand
2018-05-30, 05:35 PM
Resilient (Con) every time.

you'll spend most time with the difference between the saves at less than 5% - more than compensated by the extra 15% on straight Con saves (which include a lot of nasty effects).

The extra HP will save your life

You've likely hit with Booming blade anyway so the warcaster bonus is probably moot (though I admit you could use a higher level spell - if you can justify the slot usage)

If you're not adjacent and so haven't hit with Booming blade and you're worried they will run past you then ready a Booming blade....