PDA

View Full Version : Help with a story arc - Writers block

DMThac0
2018-05-30, 11:33 AM
So, I have a story arc that I've started to write for a player in my group. They'll be introduced to it in the next 2-3 sessions and I am looking to flesh it out a bit more, and I've hit writer's block.

This is going to be a journey for the group, but it'll be the Bard's arc.

The world of Loromir is young, only 920 years old after the gods have finished their war with the titans. Some of the remnants of that war are lingering in the form of artifacts, geological sites, and strange phenomena. In this case the bard is going to be given the chance to facilitate with a problem that has been plaguing the Dwarven capital that they are going to visit. There is a tear in the planar veil to the Plane of Earth, the Dwarves, Elves, and Human have worked together to produce 2 musical instruments, one is a wind instrument, the other a stringed instrument. They have imbued them with great power, after much trial and error, and have found that they resonate with the portals. However only someone who is able to attune with one of the instruments can fully utilize their power, this bard will be given a chance (and succeed) at such an attunement.

The stringed instrument will have the ability to close the tears and make the veil stronger, repairing the damages. This will make it so that the only way to travel from plane to plane will be via actual portals or spells. I'm considering some of the denizens of the Earth and Fire planes will try to stop them.

The wind instrument will have the ability to stabilize the tears, making them natural corridors between the planes. It will also start causing the planes to merge, making the elements react stronger magically. (Think Legend of Kora).

I'm wondering if there's any interesting ideas you all might toss in here, I'm looking for inspiration.

Thank you in advance!

Unoriginal
2018-05-30, 11:49 AM
Well, given that there is so many different groups who have a stake in this and that playing one instrument or the other will literally affect the state and fate of the world for thousands of years, not to mention modify a world the gods just finished, I can't imagine the gods and the different planar powers like the Devils or the Genies letting this happen without having their say.

However, to avoid a new divine war, it seems logical the various super-entities would agree to find a diplomatic solution, or at least that the ones who don't agree would be made to shut up quickly.

I say the gods should propose a trial, with everyone advancing their argument. Play one instrument, destroy both, wait so that a better solution can be found, etc.

And the Bard will be the judge, in a take similar to the Judgement of Paris.

Celcey
2018-05-30, 11:51 AM
This sounds like a really cool idea so far! I'd suggest you start fleshing out the different factions involved. For example, the people in charge may not like placing one of their instruments in the hands of an outsider (the bard). Maybe because somebody important has a different bard they want to get the instrument, regardless of the reality of the situation.

Maybe the thieves guild is looking to steal one or both of the instruments, and wants to ransom the city for their safe return. Certain guilds may want the portal open because it means more trade- or they may not because it means more competitions. Since it's the plane of earth, dwarves may see it as a new place to mine. Others may see it as new land to conquer. Maybe the plane natives just want to be left alone.

Think of who wants what, why, and how they would go about getting it, and you'll find lots of interesting plots!

Crushgrip
2018-05-30, 12:12 PM
So, the one thing I would try to answer is "why THIS bard?". The world of Loromir sounds like the gods had quite a bit of recent influence and interaction? Does this bard's ancestors go back to the "original" race/lineage of humanity on the material plane? A lineage that was "untouched" by the gods and the titans for all the years of the influence/interaction. Perhaps other bards that have/had been influenced by the gods/titans have attempted to use these instruments, but instead of closing the portals/tears they created more. Maybe each "new" tear was to a plane of existence that was associated to the gods/titans that had influenced the bard in the past. Therefore, this particular Bard, with only ties to the material plane, can play the instruments and "close" the tears/portals?

Just an idea to play with. hopefully it makes sense.

DMThac0
2018-05-30, 12:37 PM
However, to avoid a new divine war, it seems logical the various super-entities would agree to find a diplomatic solution, or at least that the ones who don't agree would be made to shut up quickly.

I kind of like this, it gives me a reason to make the gods a real influence in Loromir, something else I've struggled with. Not sure I'd have them directly interpose in the situation, I kind of like the idea of using their followers, creating religious conflict, zealots and such. The idea of a Divine war actually sounds interesting, since the last "war" was between the gods and the titans, now the mortals are the ones influencing the dominion of the dieties.

This sounds like a really cool idea so far! I'd suggest you start fleshing out the different factions involved. For example, the people in charge may not like placing one of their instruments in the hands of an outsider (the bard).

The bard is one of two who are born with the ability to attune to the instrument, everyone else simply acquires the equivalent to an Instrument of the Bards. She, the bard, believes she's an orphan, she's currently searching for a lost childhood friend/crush, and will soon find out that he was to be her husband as both were thought to have the ability to attune to the instruments. As this is revealed she'll be told the story of her birth right and the situation at hand.

So, the one thing I would try to answer is "why THIS bard?". The world of Loromir sounds like the gods had quite a bit of recent influence and interaction? Does this bard's ancestors go back to the "original" race/lineage of humanity on the material plane? A lineage that was "untouched" by the gods and the titans for all the years of the influence/interaction. Perhaps other bards that have/had been influenced by the gods/titans have attempted to use these instruments, but instead of closing the portals/tears they created more. Maybe each "new" tear was to a plane of existence that was associated to the gods/titans that had influenced the bard in the past. Therefore, this particular Bard, with only ties to the material plane, can play the instruments and "close" the tears/portals?

This ties in to the answer above, and helps actually explain the why.

---

I really appreciate the ideas so far, thank you!