PDA

View Full Version : Movies Looking for a good Horror movie or mini series

random11
2018-05-30, 11:37 AM
I have a group of friends I watch movies with, but since we have different taste in movies we always end up with the horror genre.
The problem is that I KNOW there are good movies there, but they are so rare in a group that suffers a lot from cliches.

I can write what I liked in the recent years, maybe it will help in the recommendations.
(It's very likely the list is a little longer, but mostly with known famous movies)

The Ring.
Obviously
I can safely say that's one of the few movies I can think of that scared me even after I left the theater.
Didn't like the sequels, and "The Grudge" was okay at best

Get Out.
Original and surprising

Cabin in the Woods.
Can't say it was a GOOD movie, but the use of cliches as part of the story was surprising and funny.

Personally, I liked Evil dead and related movies, but that's less to the taste of the others I watch with.

A list of movies I can think of that I didn't really enjoy:
The new IT, any Saw movie, Blair Witch or anything else that is pseudo documentary with a shaky camera.

Obviously, avoid spoilers, but feel free to tell what made you like the movie.

Amazon
2018-05-30, 11:42 AM
Helraiser and The witch are my top recommendations.

JoshL
2018-05-30, 02:38 PM
Hellraiser 1 and 2 are favorites of mine, though they're certainly showing their age/budget, visually speaking. Ditto the Romero Dead movies.

Recently, you might like Haunter (director of Cube, if you like some sci-fi in your horror) and the Babadook. I loved Oculus, but that seems to get mixed opinions, I think it might hit some of the buttons The Ring did.

In The Mouth of Madness is a favorite of mine, and the remake of House on Haunted Hill is a fun ride. The original is a classic, if you like old horror, and Legend of Hell House is a great old-school haunted house movie. The Mist (movie, not tv series) was wonderfully bleak, and one of the best Stephen King adaptations (though I did like the recent IT movie).

I also like Evil Dead, and I would argue that Cabin in the Woods was a very good movie, but if you like horror comedy, Dead Alive is a must-see, and Tucker & Dale was a lot of fun too!

PokéTriforce
2018-05-31, 12:12 PM
I don't have my collection with me. I have many horror-related DVDs. Since the Asian horror ones is a small list, I'll see if I can remember them all:

Apartment 1303
Dark Water (NOT the American remake)
Grudge (the American remake)
Grudge 2 (the American remake)
Grudge 3 (the American remake)
Locker
Locker 2
One Missed Call (NOT the American remake)
One Missed Call 2 (NOT the American remake)
One Missed Call 3 (NOT the American remake)
Ringu 0
Ringu
Ringu 2

and I have a downloaded copy of Teke-Teke

I have a variety DVDs (about 30-40 of them) from Full Moon (however, FullMoonStreaming.com has more than MY list...considering they're the OFFICIAL Full Moon). As for the other 128 or so DVDs, I'll have to wait until I get back from vacation to list them (as well as my Full Moon titles).

PokéTriforce
2018-05-31, 12:17 PM
PS: Tomie was a cute movie series. I just wouldn't classify them as "horror" per se.

Slurm
2018-06-15, 01:58 PM
I recommend Re-Animator, From Beyond, Let Me In, and A Nightmare on Elm Street 1, 2, and 3.

Some Android
2018-06-17, 10:13 AM
Fear(s) of the Dark. It's animated and French so I'm not sure how much you'll like it, but I love it!

Also do a youtube search for "mysterious stranger claymation mark twain." The clip is from a non-horror film, but this like 5 minute clip is one of the scariest things you'll ever see. I obviously don't want to get too religious but you'll know it if this dialogue happens in like the thirty seconds:

Who are you?
An angel.
What's your name?
Satan. What's the matter?
Nothing. It's just that sure is a sorry name for an angel.

I'm not sure if this qualifies since you said mini-series, but I also highly recommend Courage the Cowardly Dog. One of Cartoon Networks best shows and it doesn't even have John DiMaggio (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_Time) or crystal lesbians (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Universe).

The Glyphstone
2018-06-17, 10:40 AM
American Horror Story? its sort of a miniseries, since each season is a separate storyline with different characters.

Yora
2018-06-17, 01:11 PM
Does the first season of True Detective count as horror? There's no monster and probably nothing really supernatural happening, but the criminal conspiracy is pretty horrifying and I believe it relies heavily on horror storytelling methods.
I think it's horror without magic or jump scares.

Giggling Ghast
2018-06-17, 02:29 PM
I haven’t seen it myself, but on Reddit the other day they were raving about The Terror, a 10-part mini-series on AMC. It’s a fictionalized account of the doomed Franklin expedition into the Arctic with some supernatural elements thrown into the mix.

Ostara
2018-06-17, 10:42 PM
Dale and Tucker vs. evil is more a parody on horror/slasher films but it's good.

JoshL
2018-06-18, 06:46 AM
Does the first season of True Detective count as horror? There's no monster and probably nothing really supernatural happening, but the criminal conspiracy is pretty horrifying and I believe it relies heavily on horror storytelling methods.
I think it's horror without magic or jump scares.

I'd absolutely say so. It's all about creeping dread. It's chock full of weird fiction/cosmic horror references, most notably Robert Chambers' "The King In Yellow"/Carcosa. Cohle is more or less paraphrasing Thomas Ligotti constantly.

The second series was a bit of a let down, but it's still entertaining and not as bad as people say. HBO is letting the creator take his time with the third, so that should be good for everyone.

JeenLeen
2018-06-18, 10:43 AM
Wynnona Earp is a series on Netflix. I wouldn't exactly call it horror, but it has the descendant of Wyatt Earp hunting down demons based on a curse on her bloodline. Most of the demons are just mean dudes, but some show some very horror-y aspects. Season 2, which was recently released, has more horror elements.

To me, it's a cool supernatural action-drama show, but some might consider it fitting your needs.

I also liked season one of Netflix's Evil Dead series. Definitely plays up the campiness, but does so well.

Though I realize you want more mini-series/movies, and these are your standard 40-to-60-minute shows.

comicshorse
2018-06-18, 01:51 PM
Movie-wise I'd recommend 'The Descent' (particularly if you're claustrophobic) and 'Event Horizon'
Mini-series there's 'Ultraviolet' a six issue British series that was a mix of horror and thriller

CarpeGuitarrem
2018-06-18, 02:01 PM
It Follows was phenomenally tense stuff. Masterful and atmospheric. Heads-up that it earns the R rating with nudity/sexual content/sexual assault. It's most interesting because it takes the time to overlay themes and meaning on top of the terror, without spelling anything out. You get room to think about it.

Some Android
2018-06-18, 02:25 PM
It Follows was phenomenally tense stuff. Masterful and atmospheric. Heads-up that it earns the R rating with nudity/sexual content/sexual assault. It's most interesting because it takes the time to overlay themes and meaning on top of the terror, without spelling anything out. You get room to think about it.

I was gonna suggest the miniseries with Tim Curry, but not for horror reasons. I just love how campy it is:

Pennywise: "Excuse me sir - do you have Prince Albert in a can? You do? Well you better let the poor guy out!" *laughter*

Tim Curry is a national treasure!

CarpeGuitarrem
2018-06-21, 02:31 PM
I was gonna suggest the miniseries with Tim Curry, but not for horror reasons. I just love how campy it is:

Pennywise: "Excuse me sir - do you have Prince Albert in a can? You do? Well you better let the poor guy out!" *laughter*

Tim Curry is a national treasure!
It Follows is different, totally unrelated to IT.

Yora
2018-06-21, 03:17 PM
I'd absolutely say so. It's all about creeping dread. It's chock full of weird fiction/cosmic horror references, most notably Robert Chambers' "The King In Yellow"/Carcosa. Cohle is more or less paraphrasing Thomas Ligotti constantly.

I looked up some scenes to see if it really was as creepy as my memory said it was. And yes, it totally is. Even more so.

One short simple scene in which nothing really happens and that doesn't spoil anything, but simply showcases the mood and tension of the show. It's creepy as hell! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clSeCjyBGCk)

Wookieetank
2018-06-22, 11:30 AM
The Ritual is a rather neat take of monster in the woods type movie, with quite the monster design.

Demonic group of teams goes ghost hunting in one of their team members' personal history, things happen. Has a few nice twists as well.

PokéTriforce
2018-06-27, 11:35 AM
I've seen a few good horror animé series. I don't remember which ones, though. Since the list in my "horror & horror-related" DVD collection is growing (again), I'll let everyone know that I can name over 150 titles that I thought were good enough to own (it would seem).

PokéTriforce
2018-07-24, 12:39 PM
I said I'd eventually get to it. I won't list everything I have...just these 2 lists:

My Full Moon collection includes: Trancers (more sci-fi than horror), Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-RamaPuppet Master, Subspecies, Demonic Toys, Shrunken Heads (not really horror, either), Hideous, Creeps (actually, it's called "The Creeps" -- I just don't use the word "the" to begin a title), Filmonsters!, Blood Dolls, Killjoy, Gingerdead Man, Evil Bong, Zombies vs. Strippers, Ooga Booga, Unlucky Charms, Ravenwolf Towers, Head of the Family, and Witchouse. Actually, I don't actually have the Witchouse trilogy. I just thought I'd mention it, anyways.

My Asian horror collection includes: Apartment 1303, Dark Water, Grudge (American remake trilogy -- not the Ju-On versions), Locker (& Locker II), One Missed Call (trilogy), Ringu (trilogy), Teke-Teke, & Let's Fight Ghost (more drama than horror). I, also, like the Tomie movies.

I'll list more horror (or horror/Halloween-related movies, another time.

PokéTriforce
2018-07-30, 10:24 AM
I recently obtained Arcade (from Full Moon). Now on to MORE of my horror/Halloween-related DVDs...

I have a good Amityville Horror collection, Arachnophobia, Child's Play, Critters, Dracula 2000, Fido, Final Destination, Freddy vs. Jason, Friday the 13th (without the remake), Gremlins, Halloween (once again, without the remake), Happy Death Day, Hollow, IT (the original...the remake wasn't bad. I just don't have it), Jaws, Jekyll, Killer Klowns from Outer Space, & Little Shop of Horrors (the Rick Moranis version).

Once again, I have more than those. I'm just listing them over time -- in order to have something to post, every once in a while.

PokéTriforce
2018-07-30, 10:39 AM
The Friday the 13th remake wasn't bad...it just needed some "fine tuning" before I would own it. Unlike the Halloween remake. I refuse to acknowledge it's existence. Others may like it. Then again, others think that Bram Stoker wrote about glittery beings that attend high school.

Wookieetank
2018-07-30, 12:14 PM
I'm very intrigued by what I've seen of previews for Castle Rock, sadly I don't have access to Hulu currently so I'll have to wait before I can start digging into it. Still need to get around to seeing 11.22.63 and finishing up Haven as well.

PokéTriforce
2018-08-01, 12:07 AM
I really enjoyed Haven. I thought it flowed together nicely (after a few hic-ups). I'm waiting to see how Netflix does season 2 of the Mist. I tried Hulu. I don't watch it much -- as it has too many issues. However, I'll see if I can find Castle Rock (Stephen King's story-matic universe). There's still quite a bit of Stephen King I haven't seen.

Wookieetank
2018-08-01, 08:43 AM
I really enjoyed Haven. I thought it flowed together nicely (after a few hic-ups). I'm waiting to see how Netflix does season 2 of the Mist. I tried Hulu. I don't watch it much -- as it has too many issues. However, I'll see if I can find Castle Rock (Stephen King's story-matic universe). There's still quite a bit of Stephen King I haven't seen.

After the travesty that Under the Dome turned into as a TV series (so bad that I stopped watching it and just went and re-read the book again), I'm terribly hesitant about watching the Mist. Especially since there's already a movie about it, and that was well put together. Kinda hard to see how they can properly drag out a single short story into a multi-season TV show. Which is probably why I like Haven and have hopes for Castle Rock, they're based more on ideas and themes of Stephen King instead of being direct adaptations of a specific work.

PokéTriforce
2018-08-01, 07:57 PM
I'm terribly hesitant about watching the Mist. Especially since there's already a movie about it, and that was well put together. Kinda hard to see how they can properly drag out a single short story into a multi-season TV show.

The movie was done better. However, the flow of the series isn't that bad. I thought of it as a "loosely based" style. It goes into more detail than the movie did. Not being an avid reader, I haven't read the Mist (or I had...and simply don't remember). I'm interested in where they're going with the series.

I'll be watching Castle Rock, soon. I'll give my feedback (spoiler-free) when I've seen at least 3 episodes -- to get a good understanding of how the series seems to be going.

Sinewmire
2018-08-02, 04:18 AM
The Ritual is a rather neat take of monster in the woods type movie, with quite the monster design.

I'd second that, The Ritual is the best horror movie I've seen in ages.

PokéTriforce
2018-08-02, 11:21 AM
I have a good Amityville Horror collection, Arachnophobia, Child's Play, Critters, Dracula 2000, Fido, Final Destination, Freddy vs. Jason, Friday the 13th (without the remake), Gremlins, Halloween (once again, without the remake), Happy Death Day, Hollow, IT (the original...the remake wasn't bad. I just don't have it), Jaws, Jekyll, Killer Klowns from Outer Space, & Little Shop of Horrors (the Rick Moranis version).

And now for more of what I have:

Living Dead (Night of the Living Dead -- 30th Anniversary edition, Dawn of the Dead -- original, Day of the Dead -- original, Land of the Dead, Dairy of the Dead, Survival of the Dead, Return of the Living Dead collection, Flight of the Living Dead, & Dawn of the Dead -- remake), Nightmare on Elm Street (without the remake...due to it mot being that good), Number 23, Phantasm, Poltergeist (once again, I didn't care for the remake)Raising Cain, Resident Evil (the Milla Jovovich ones), Saw, Scream, Scream Queens, Sharknado (with the Lavalantula movies), Shining (original), Sleepy Hollow, Student Bodies, Transylvania 6-5000, Tremors, Urban Legend (just the 1st movie), V, & Warm Bodies.

Of course, you can check out the (so far, 64) horror/Halloween-related videos on my YouTube channel ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbJLP...VGHFpl&index=1 ). I have some other videos on my computer that I can list (about 10 more). But, you get the idea.

:roach: Did PokéTriforce just self-promote the YouTube channel, again?

The final list of DVDs/Blu-Ray discs that are horror/Halloween-related -- that I own -- will be posted, later. The reason for my list is in case you might enjoy any of those titles (and just haven't heard of their existence, yet).

PokéTriforce
2018-08-03, 12:30 PM
It's time I finish the list of horror/Halloween-related DVDs/Blu-Ray discs I own. This time, it'll be a list of the kid-safe ones...which include: Coraline, ParaNorman, Toy Story of Terror, Haunted Mansion, Tower of Terror, Corpse Bride, Halloween Town, Mr. Boogedy, Nightmare Before Christmas, Watcher in the Woods, Z-O-M-B-I-E-S, Goobers!, Spooky Town, Darkness: Teen Space Vampire Saga, Shifter, & Monster High. Animé that works in this category include: Spirited Away, DarkStalkers/Night Warriors, Monster Musume, Moon Phase, & Soul Eater. I recorded (onto VHS) Truth or Scare.

Darth Ultron
2018-08-03, 01:03 PM
You might try:

Raw(2017)- A coming-of-age story about a vegetarian veterinary student who develops a craving for flesh after eating meat for the first time.

The Fly(86, with Goldblum)-The Fly isn't just a film about the spectacle of a man turning into an insect. It's also a film about what that means in terms of identity, physicality, psychology, and the place where all of that meets in the middle.

An American Werewolf in London-Well, if the greatest werewolf transformation scene of all time doesn't have you biting your nails, the scene of nazi werewolves definitely will.

The Shining (1980)-All work and no play makes Jack into a raving lunatic.

Carrie (1976)-innocent telekinetic Carrie taking the ultimate revenge on the school where she was bullied is a slow-burn (no pun intended) classic, a coming-of-age horror. You’ve never sympathised with the monster more.

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-08-04, 01:59 AM
I'm recommending/seconding Alien Raiders, The Mist, Cube, The Thing, Housebound, Kuntilanak, Cube, Ju-on: The Grudge, Hellraiser, Cube, Alien, Hostel, The Fly, Sublime, Otis, and did I mention Cube?

PokéTriforce
2018-08-05, 11:29 AM
I'll be watching Castle Rock, soon. I'll give my feedback (spoiler-free) when I've seen at least 3 episodes -- to get a good understanding of how the series seems to be going.

REMINDER: This is just MY opinion. You may agree or disagree. Also, I will not be sharing any spoilers (I don't have a fast car).

It was a bit slow, in episode 1. However, it's picking up. Now that I've seen episode 4, I can say that the other main characters include a security guard with happy monitors & a real estate agent with frozen ashes. The main thing is about Matthew's client. I think there's something wrong with that one. Over all, I'd rate it 3 out of 5 stars...at this point. Then again, there are Stephen King movies that I like & Stephen King movies that I thought could have been done better.

I will continue to watch Castle Rock. After I watch the season finale, I might have more to say about this series.

PokéTriforce
2018-08-05, 12:19 PM
You might try:

The Fly(86, with Goldblum)-The Fly isn't just a film about the spectacle of a man turning into an insect. It's also a film about what that means in terms of identity, physicality, psychology, and the place where all of that meets in the middle.

An American Werewolf in London-Well, if the greatest werewolf transformation scene of all time doesn't have you biting your nails, the scene of nazi werewolves definitely will.

The Shining (1980)-All work and no play makes Jack into a raving lunatic.

Carrie (1976)-innocent telekinetic Carrie taking the ultimate revenge on the school where she was bullied is a slow-burn (no pun intended) classic, a coming-of-age horror. You’ve never sympathised with the monster more.

I've seen the Fly and Fly II. They were OK. I guess they were better than the Vincent Price version. Then again, I haven't seen the Vincent price version.

American Werewolf in London & American Werewolf in Paris were both good cult classics. I, too, would recommend those.

There are 3 versions of the Shining. I prefer the Jack Nicholson version, myself. The other 2 (remakes) didn't quite have -- what I thought -- the feel for the story (as good as the original).

Carrie 2 didn't make as much sense, to me. Both Carrie & the remake (the remake is where Carrie 2 continues from) had their strong points and their weak points, in my opinion.

I'm recommending/seconding Alien Raiders, The Mist, Cube, The Thing, Housebound, Kuntilanak, Cube, Ju-on: The Grudge, Hellraiser, Cube, Alien, Hostel, The Fly, Sublime, Otis, and did I mention Cube?

I've already discussed the Mist. As for the Thing: I remember the haunt I worked at was asked to do a promotional stunt when the movie theaters were showing the remake, in 2012. I stated that I liked the American remake bettter than the Ju-On version for the Grudge. I could never really get into Hellraiser. I like Alien better than Preditor. I didn't care for Hostel, at all. I just talked about the Fly. Oh...did you mention the Cube, yet? At the end of Cube 0, I laughed loudly. It was the BEST tie-in for those movies! Hypercube was an interesting tesseract version. I don't know about the others.

PokéTriforce
2018-08-05, 12:23 PM
By the way, about Stephen King's "IT", I'm still not sure if I plan on getting the remake or not.

I forgot to mention an animé that I once owned. It was subtitled (there wasn't a dubbed version); so I couldn't share it with friends that had trouble reading subtitles. I don't know what I did with that series. It was called "Haunted Junction".

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-08-06, 04:33 AM
I've seen the Fly and Fly II. They were OK.

This one I have to disagree on. I found the Fly 2 boring as, well, you know, a fly. Part 1 (the remake, with Goldblum) is a good movie.

I never quite got into An American Werewolf in London myself. The transformation would be brilliant if not for the music, the rest is kind of boring honestly. An American Werewolf in Paris is a good B-movie. The effects are silly, and it doesn't even try to copy the weird tone of the original, but the pacing is a lot better and as a result the story is enjoyable..

PokéTriforce
2018-08-06, 04:12 PM
This one I have to disagree on. I found the Fly 2 boring as, well, you know, a fly. Part 1 (the remake, with Goldblum) is a good movie.

I felt the 2nd one had a nice re-telling (except it wasn't a re-telling, per se) -- where the human slowly descends into the madness of becoming the "monster" (as it were). Sure, it could have been done better. But, as a whole, it did okay.

I never quite got into An American Werewolf in London myself. The transformation would be brilliant if not for the music, the rest is kind of boring honestly. An American Werewolf in Paris is a good B-movie. The effects are silly, and it doesn't even try to copy the weird tone of the original, but the pacing is a lot better and as a result the story is enjoyable..

I believe it was American Werewolf in Paris...although I could be wrong. The scene where the female tries to whistle for the bad werewolves to come after the American werewolf -- and her eye pops out. That has to be one of my FAVORITE scenes! I also liked, in American Werewolf in London, the scene in the movie theater where his best friend introduces him to the other people he killed. It's fun scenes like those that I liked about this series. I'm not even going into the restaurant bathroom scene ("You just can't keep popping up like that").

PokéTriforce
2018-09-01, 07:25 PM
Just out of curiosity, what's everyone's go to movie for Halloween?

PokéTriforce
2018-09-06, 01:07 AM
Has anyone seen Clown? It's an R-rated 2016 movie that Netflix happens to have. All it says is: "When the clown he hired for his son's birthday party fails to show up, Kent McCoy dons a clown suit from his attic to entertain. But after the party, he's unable to remove the costume and soon begins to feel a murderous spirit taking control of him."

The reason I'm asking is that a friend asked my opinion of it. He said he wanted me to watch it and tell him what I thought. I'm just curious if anyone else has seen it (and what THEY thought about it). Is it worth me taking the time to watch? If you've read my post of the MANY horror movies I own, you can figure out my tastes when it comes to horror films.

In other words, I'd like to get other opinions; so I can formulate the best review for him.

Samba Mentality
2018-09-06, 05:22 PM
One of the best horror movies ever made, in my opinion, is called The Others. The good thing about this movie is that if you’re a horror fan, it is really scary. It’s a quality movie as well as terrifying. I highly recommend it. But if you aren’t a horror fan, the twist ending sort of makes it all seem a little less horrifying.

Wookieetank
2018-09-07, 08:17 AM
So got to watch 2 new horror movies yesterday.

Tusk - A horror movie by Kevin Smith? Really? Yup. Plays heavily on horrifying than scary/creepy. Went in blind other than the quick blurb on netflix and had no real idea of what to expect and felt it worked best that way.

The Open House - Bit of a slow build up, but leaves you sufficiently horrified by the time its done. Does a really good job of leaving you guessing as to what's going on till right at the end and once the full reveal happens its all oh geeze *shudder*.

If you want more detail ask, but both of these worked very well going in blind for me.

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-09-10, 09:29 AM
Has anyone seen Clown? It's an R-rated 2016 movie that Netflix happens to have. All it says is: "When the clown he hired for his son's birthday party fails to show up, Kent McCoy dons a clown suit from his attic to entertain. But after the party, he's unable to remove the costume and soon begins to feel a murderous spirit taking control of him."

I vaguely remember seeing a sort of similar one (it's called Stitches, google tells me) about a birthday clown who died on the job and was brought back from the grave by other clowns to finish the party he started, and murder the by now teenagers who attended it.

It was okay I guess.

I just don't think funny creepy clown movies are going to top Killer Klowns from Outer Space anytime soon.

The Others was funny. I think I saw like half of it including the bit Papaya spoilered on TV. The parts I saw registered it a bit less like a straight horror movie, but it does have suspense and mystery.

PokéTriforce
2018-09-11, 04:37 PM
I just don't think funny creepy clown movies are going to top Killer Klowns from Outer Space anytime soon.

"You're not gonna' make a dummy outta' me!"

We know what happened to him after he got killed. CLASSIC!

Bhu
2018-09-12, 01:35 AM
https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?706527-HorrorPack-Film-Recommendations-Thread-II-Dawn-of-the-Good-Stuff&p=22070829#post22070829

Over on rpg.net I'm the official keeper of 'the good stuff' list. Most of whats there should be good depending on what your particular tastes are. I also have my own thread on minmax that needs updating.

As for personal recommendations for the op: what is your tolerance level for gore, violence, nudity and disturbing content?

PokéTriforce
2018-09-12, 11:15 AM
As for personal recommendations for the op: what is your tolerance level for gore, violence, nudity and disturbing content?

Tolerance aside, I go for story. I don't care for the over-use of "blood, guts, & gore", due to the lack of story in those. Violence would, once again, be conditional. Some movies (such as Hostel) overdoes it, in my opinion. Freddy, Jason, Michael, & Chucky have an appropriate amount. I guess what I mean is the "style" of violence is the thing. Senseless (or just being violent for the sake of being violent) does not make a good story.

I'm not quite sure what nudity has to do with this. I guess if the person is horribly disfigured or something... Otherwise, there's nothing scary about nudity. People showering, skinny dipping, and/or having sex is a part of standard horror movies. If you get naked, you become a target. That's how those films work. So, I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Disturbing content is relative. There's a scene in Idle Hands (comedy more than horror) where an undead guy eats a burrito. The stuff drips from his neck -- since his head had previously been severed. I'm sure that scene may be disturbing to many. As for me, I get hungry for burritos, each time I watch that. In the book version of Stephen King's IT, those who have read it know what the kids did. I don't find that "disturbing", because it seems realistic for the story. The Saw movies have "disturbing content" (from what I hear); however, the story keeps it "palatable".

I got into horror, because I watched Freddy Krueger having SO MUCH FUN! I like watching Jaws, because they're "Shark Week" movies. I've seen quite a few Asian horror movies that have the right...um...I'm not sure how to put it into words; but, they have that. In other words, whatever tolerance one has is not how I decide on what to recommend. I find that Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek, Stargate, Farscape, Battlestar Galctica, and Babylon 5, all have similar levels of violence and such. Yet, the fans like one and not the other.

What I'm trying to say is that you should feel free to recommend any titles you wish. If you want, you can inform us the level of gore, violence, nudity, and disturbing content. Just don't worry about not wanting to recommend something just because of that.

Wookieetank
2018-09-12, 02:01 PM
Got to see Jigsaw (aka Saw VIII) this week, and it was...okay I guess. The only thing new really was the deathtraps. The plot felt like a recycled mashup of 2 & 7 with minor bits of the other thrown in. Very much a try hard at attempting to continue on the series in a "new" fashion.

Bhu
2018-09-13, 12:23 AM
I ask for several reasons. It's easier to gauge peoples possible reaction to things by how they respond. As an example: The Woman is, in my opinion at least, a good horror film, for specific audiences. But it's one of the more disturbing horror films out there. If someone says they're not into violence, I wouldn't recommend it because it verges on torture porn in certain scenes to make it's point ((it has some social commentary). If you say you don't like nudity, then by extension you probably wouldn't like sexual content, so I wouldn't recommend it still. If you don't like disturbing content, then I definitely wouldn't recommend it, because it has that in abundance, most of which I could not discuss under forum rules. Knowing what films the op likes gives me an idea, but knowing his specific limits on what he considers acceptable lets me narrow things down a bit more.

Bohandas
2018-09-13, 01:49 AM
How about The Exorcist, Scream, and Final Destination

PokéTriforce
2018-09-14, 02:19 PM
Got to see Jigsaw (aka Saw VIII) this week, and it was...okay I guess. The only thing new really was the deathtraps. The plot felt like a recycled mashup of 2 & 7 with minor bits of the other thrown in. Very much a try hard at attempting to continue on the series in a "new" fashion.

I gave Jigsaw a chance. It seems like it didn't need to be. The Saw movies came to a nice close (story-wise). I'm a bit interested as to where they thing they'll take it, though.

How about The Exorcist, Scream, and Final Destination

I had a chance to get Linda Blair's autograph! I didn't have the money for it, though. :annoyed:

Anyway, I liked the first film. The 2nd & 3rd were okay...just not as good (in my opinion). I don't think I've seen the others -- and I'm just not interested in the TV series. I have the 4 Scream movies. The MTV series wasn't as good. I have all the Final Destination movies. I laughed when I saw Candyman as the [I think he was a mortician or something].

Wookieetank
2018-09-14, 03:45 PM
I gave Jigsaw a chance. It seems like it didn't need to be. The Saw movies came to a nice close (story-wise). I'm a bit interested as to where they thing they'll take it, though.

I'm in much the same boat. Was a fairly decent movie overall, just didn't need to be attached to the Saw franchise. I would've been much happier with a completely new plot.

If you look at Saw, Cube, Exam and even Would You Rather?, they're essentially the same premise: Strangers trapped in a room, for some unknown reason(exception with WYR?), with potentially life or death stakes. Yet each one is executed very differently and provides a very unique take on the premise. Jigsaw just gives us more Saw without anything truly unique to make it stand out. Just my $.02
/digression

Bhu
2018-09-16, 09:59 PM
Chained (2012) is a decent if horrific movie. A woman and her child are kidnapped by a serial killer, and after murdering her the killer decides to take care of the boy for reasons as yet unknown to the audience. Nasty, brutish and will be very triggery for some. Also has a few surprises.

The Devils Rock: The Nazis discover a Succubus in WWII and decide to weaponize Hell. It goes about as smoothly as you'd expect.

Let Us Prey: A stranger arrested late at night seems to know the sins of everyone he encounters at the police station. Will be over the top for some.

Wer: Begins as a murder mystery and switches to action and gore halfway through. Odd but nifty.

Black Sheep: Night of the Living Dead parody. With sheep.

Cold Fish: Japanese serial killer sees something of himself in a milquetoast fish store owner, and decides to make him an apprentice. Very, very dark comedy with gore.

He Never Died: Henry Rollins as a man with severe PTSD. Or so you believe at first.

Rabies aka Kalevet: Serial killer dark comedy in which the killer doesn't actually kill any of the cast.

Undead: Australian super redneck who fight off a horde of undead during an alien invasion.

Zombeavers: Not a great film by any means, but the last 20 minutes are some of the most wtf set to film.

Fido: Parody of 50's pop culture.

Frostbite: Swedish vampire comedy.

Infestation: A Lovecraftian comedy about aliens invading.

I Sell the Dead: Comedy about grave robbers who encounter some complications on the job.

Rare Exports: Santa is an avatar of Shub-Niggurath.

Sightseers: Serial killers in love.

Below: Bestest ghost on a sub movie ever.

Black House: Get the Korean version. The most terrifying film about insurance you will ever see.

The Last Winter: Ron Perlman angers the Wendigo.

Pontypool: A different take on zombies.

Sauna: Set on the border of Finland and Russia, and damn creepy.

Session 9: Don't wanna give away the plot.

Timecrimes: Bestest time travel movie ever.

Triangle: Also don't wanna give away the plot.

The Ugly: A serial killer is haunted. Nothing else quite like it.

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-09-20, 03:48 AM
I'm in much the same boat. Was a fairly decent movie overall, just didn't need to be attached to the Saw franchise. I would've been much happier with a completely new plot.

If you look at Saw, Cube, Exam and even Would You Rather?, they're essentially the same premise: Strangers trapped in a room, for some unknown reason(exception with WYR?), with potentially life or death stakes. Yet each one is executed very differently and provides a very unique take on the premise. Jigsaw just gives us more Saw without anything truly unique to make it stand out. Just my $.02
/digression

You're essentially just describing the X characters in a box formula here. A small cast, put together in a situation, and their numbers slowly going down. Typically as the film goes on more and more doubts grow about where the real danger is coming from, the dangerous outside circumstances, or the group itself? Probably around 75% of all horror fits that premise, including Alien, The Thing, Dog Soldiers, The Mist etc. And even movies where at some points the characters split up mostly keep them together, like The Descent and Tremors. You specify it a bit more by making the characters specifically strangers in unknown circumstances, but then your final example presumably deviates from those two extra specifications.

One of my own favorite takes on the formula is not actually a horror movie, but more of a war/action/sort of suspense film, The Beast (1988). It's a pre-9/11 American movie about a Russian tank crew in Afghanistan, and as such the characterization of certain groups can be a little uncomfortable today, but it's a really solid take on the formula described above, with the tank becoming more and more of a prison that you can't leave, but where you can't stay either. Are the people you have in here better than the danger out there? There's even a perspective flip to help rub the idea in some more.

Wookieetank
2018-09-21, 09:05 AM
You're essentially just describing the X characters in a box formula here. A small cast, put together in a situation, and their numbers slowly going down. Typically as the film goes on more and more doubts grow about where the real danger is coming from, the dangerous outside circumstances, or the group itself? Probably around 75% of all horror fits that premise, including Alien, The Thing, Dog Soldiers, The Mist etc. And even movies where at some points the characters split up mostly keep them together, like The Descent and Tremors. You specify it a bit more by making the characters specifically strangers in unknown circumstances, but then your final example presumably deviates from those two extra specifications.

One of my own favorite takes on the formula is not actually a horror movie, but more of a war/action/sort of suspense film, The Beast (1988). It's a pre-9/11 American movie about a Russian tank crew in Afghanistan, and as such the characterization of certain groups can be a little uncomfortable today, but it's a really solid take on the formula described above, with the tank becoming more and more of a prison that you can't leave, but where you can't stay either. Are the people you have in here better than the danger out there? There's even a perspective flip to help rub the idea in some more.

They were just the ones that popped to mind as I was typing. I was more just trying to illustrate how you can have the same core concept and yet have distinct and interesting movies if you keep things fresh instead of doing more of the same (which is very much what Jigsaw does).

The Beast sounds like a fascinating watch, I'll have to try to track that one down.

Bohandas
2018-09-23, 11:38 PM
They're Watching- Reality TV filmmakers get caught up in the middle of a withc hunt

PokéTriforce
2018-09-26, 06:46 PM
Black Sheep: Night of the Living Dead parody. With sheep.

Fido: Parody of 50's pop culture.

Triangle: Also don't wanna give away the plot.

I think I saw Black Sheep. There are a few movies called "Triangle". For instance, the one I have is a Sci-Fi miniseries (I think 2 or 3 parts). As for Fido, someone I know watched my copy of Fido. She wanted a pet zombie, after watching it...so, I got her one! (https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/102015889946185945299/102015889946185945299/posts/Wg4pUhxBwD3)

Bohandas
2018-09-26, 07:11 PM
The Exorcist shares some elements in common wih Evil Dead and The Ring. It's kicked off with a sinister cursed object like The Ring and revolves around demonic possession like The Evil Dead

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-09-27, 12:56 AM
There are a few movies called "Triangle".

There are, the one you want is 2009.

On a slightly similar note, Coherence (2013) is not over the top horrory, but still a very fun movie.

On a in a different way similar note, Ghost Ship (2002) is nice and corny.

And while we're on the water theme anyway, Leviathan (1989) is worth a watch if you like monster films like Alien and The Thing.

Brother Oni
2018-09-27, 01:45 AM
There's the Channel Zero series, with each season exploring a particular story arc (Series 1 is about a children's TV show, Series 2 is about a Halloween scare house, Series 3 is about these doors that appear in the middle of nowhere).

I caught part of a Spanish language horror film starring Antonio Banderas of all people, The Skin I Live In. I need to find it and watch the rest of it as it wasn't jump scary, but there was an underlying creepiness throughout, much like The Ninth Gate.

PokéTriforce
2018-09-28, 11:30 AM
There's the Channel Zero series, with each season exploring a particular story arc (Series 1 is about a children's TV show, Series 2 is about a Halloween scare house, Series 3 is about these doors that appear in the middle of nowhere).

NOOooo!!!!! I checked my calendar. I'm working at an animé / manga convention on October 26th. :eek::frown::annoyed: The convention runs October 26 - 28. This means I'll have to wait to see this season's premiere.

PokéTriforce
2018-10-12, 09:51 PM
I met him…15 years ago. I was told there was nothing left. No reason. No conscience. No understanding. Even the most rudimentary sense of life and death…of good or evil…right or wrong. I met this six-year-old child…with this blank, pale, emotionless face. And…the blackest eyes. The devil’s eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach him. And then another seven…trying to keep him locked up. Because, I realized that what was living behind that boy’s eyes was purely -- and simply -- evil.

On Friday, October 19, 2018, he shows up for more!

Bhu
2018-10-14, 07:23 PM
I think I saw Black Sheep. There are a few movies called "Triangle". For instance, the one I have is a Sci-Fi miniseries (I think 2 or 3 parts). As for Fido, someone I know watched my copy of Fido. She wanted a pet zombie, after watching it...so, I got her one! (https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/102015889946185945299/102015889946185945299/posts/Wg4pUhxBwD3)

The Triangle I'm referring to is the 2009 one.

edit dammit i was ninja'd

PokéTriforce
2018-10-14, 07:47 PM
The 2009 Triangle is available on Netflix. However, I have way too many discs in my queue, as is. Of the horror ones, I'm looking at...

Witch Files, Slender Man, Fright Night (part 2), Polaroid, Ouija Séance: The Final Game, It Lives Inside, Wilding, and Legend Of Halloween Jack. There's also Monsters at Large and a couple Goosebumps DVDs. Oh...and the latest Predator film.

Still, with 32 discs (and a few streaming -- including Truth or Dare & Seven in Heaven) left to go...

...And I have Light as a Feather set for Hulu. As I said, I doubt I'll be adding the 2009 Triangle to my list, any time soon.

PokéTriforce
2018-11-21, 03:00 AM
I recently watched the Netflix version of Sabrina: the Teenage Witch. I think it was called "Chilling Adventures of Sabrina" (or something like that). I didn't care for their Riverdale series; however I really enjoyed this one!

JeenLeen
2018-11-21, 11:56 AM
So got to watch 2 new horror movies yesterday.

Tusk - A horror movie by Kevin Smith? Really? Yup. Plays heavily on horrifying than scary/creepy. Went in blind other than the quick blurb on netflix and had no real idea of what to expect and felt it worked best that way.

The Open House - Bit of a slow build up, but leaves you sufficiently horrified by the time its done. Does a really good job of leaving you guessing as to what's going on till right at the end and once the full reveal happens its all oh geeze *shudder*.

If you want more detail ask, but both of these worked very well going in blind for me.

I have two questions for both, and, based on the 'going in blind is good', I please just give a simple Yes or No.

Is the threat/scare/whatever supernatural (as opposed to mundane)?
If supernatural, is it something a reasonably superstitious person would probably avoid?

I really like horror movies, but I get creeped out easy and seem to only really avoid that if, if the situation in the movie were real, I would be okay. I can handle not getting creeped out my mundane stuff, so if it's actually serial killers or a crazy dude, that doesn't creep me out. If it is supernatural, I'm cool with it if I would be okay in that situation. For example, I'd avoid Ouija boards or seances, so any movie based on that wouldn't creep me out. Likewise, a la Cabin in the Woods, if I found a basement full of obviously creepy artifacts, I'd leave it alone and get out of there.

Or, I guess, if the threat is pretty easy to defeat if you accept it as real and act logically in response. For example, It Follows.

But especially movies where it's just a random ghost or demon someone happens upon and it starts to prey on them and their loved ones... those creep me out.

---

On the 'going in blind', if you like Tarantino, From Dusk Til Dawn.
It doesn't seem any horror at first. In fact, just mentioning it in this thread kinda ruins the full impact, but can't see much else way to state it, and it's so old by now that a lot of folk know what it's about anyway. If you try to watch it on Netflix, avoid reading the description: it spoils it.

I saw it just thinking it was a normal crime-Tarantino movie. The shift to horror-flick halfway through was awesome!

It is a bit more action & sorta-comedy than horror in its horror aspects, but technically counts.
There's also a series on Netflix based on the movie, but I haven't watched it enough to comment.

Wookieetank
2018-11-21, 02:35 PM
I have two questions for both, and, based on the 'going in blind is good', I please just give a simple Yes or No.

Is the threat/scare/whatever supernatural (as opposed to mundane)?
If supernatural, is it something a reasonably superstitious person would probably avoid?

The threats are not supernatural. One of the two does a good job of playing with your expectations on whether or not it is supernatural causes untill the end (or at least did so for me).

I will add that I have been banned from choosing on movie nights with one group of friends thanks to Tusk. For a group that regularly plays VtM, they were rather squeamish.:smallbiggrin:

Bhu
2018-12-01, 12:13 AM
If any of you are fans of the old Blind Dead series they're getting a sequel after 43 years.

JoshL
2018-12-01, 08:01 PM
Wow! Love the Blind Dead! Curious to see how that would translate to modern film. The originals are slow as all get out, but if you can get into it, that'd much of the appeal.

Jan Mattys
2018-12-02, 05:47 PM
I am partial to Angel Heart, the 1987 movie by alan Parker, starring Mickey Rourke and Robert De Niro.

If you never had a chance to see it, I'd say it is worth it.

PokéTriforce
2018-12-07, 10:24 PM
I'm about to watch the Nun. I've seen the Annabelle (& Conjuring) movies. They're OK. I've seen better. I just thought I'd mention this...in case anyone wanted to discuss these movies.

Wookieetank
2018-12-10, 10:58 AM
Couple of new recommendations more on the comedic side of horror:

Life After Beth - A zombie romantic comedy, lotsa deadpan snarking, put me in the mind of Shaun of the Dead overall. Lot of silly fun.

They're Watching - A house hunter show's crew goes back to do a followup episode on a couple and the house they bought. Things get weird. Put me in mind of Grave Encounters a bit, but with an overall more lighthearted tone.

Sorta reccomend:
Seven in Heaven - The horror part of this one was alright, being trapped in alternate bad dimensions after passing through a "portal", but the framing device and overarching plot was pretty dumb. If teen party gone wrong is your thing, you might like this more than I did, but if not, go watch Cloverfield Paradox, Event Horizon or the V/H/S series for better cosmic horror stories.

PokéTriforce
2018-12-10, 01:30 PM
Does anyone know if the movie version for Spirit Camera (I can't think of the original game title) was ever made? I saw what could have been either a trailer (or just a fake trailer) for it. I was hoping that the trailer was for an ACTUAL movie. I don't care if it was a "student film" version or full production. I'm just curious.

JoshL
2018-12-10, 02:47 PM
Fatal Frame, which is my favorite horror game series (Zero in Japan, and Project Zero in Europe). A film came out in Japan, and it was a pretty standard ghost story. Not bad, but not exceptional, and not very Fatal Frame. They included the Camera Obscura, but sort of tacked on with a side character. I don't think it really affected the plot much. I was disappointed.

I would LOVE to see an adaptation of the games. The first three as a trilogy would be amazing!

Bhu
2018-12-17, 09:12 PM
Does anyone know if the movie version for Spirit Camera (I can't think of the original game title) was ever made? I saw what could have been either a trailer (or just a fake trailer) for it. I was hoping that the trailer was for an ACTUAL movie. I don't care if it was a "student film" version or full production. I'm just curious.

is that Camera Obscura? it's at redbox now

JoshL
2018-12-18, 07:57 AM
If this is the film you mean, it doesn't look related to the games
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5651458/
The film that came out in Japan was this one:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3684484/

But even that was a sort of loose connection.

shawnmoris
2019-09-20, 12:42 AM
My favorite category to watch horror & suspense. Because I like to feel the excitement because my work is too sensitive when I free for my work I want to see some exciting things. I am a Senior Web Developer & Web Designer Dubai. I work with creative agencies in UAE to manage and assist in their projects.

Bohandas
2019-09-20, 01:11 AM
I think, as others have said, that Hellraiser fits in well with the list in the topic post