PDA

View Full Version : Spirit Shaman Questions

mcmuffinfluffin
2018-05-30, 12:02 PM
The group I usually game with is planning to start a Red Hand of Doom adventure and maybe work it into a larger campaign later on. The enemies and challenges will be reworked to be more difficult and use a 32 point buy while players use 36 point buy. At first I was planning playing a shadowcaster with a focus on BFC, but 5th level seems to low a level to be beneficial to the group with that class. So instead I have decided try Spirit Shaman...

However, I am confused on what a spirit is. Specifically, what does "Creatures in astral form or with astral bodies (but not a creature physically present on the Astral Plane)" refer to? Can someone provide examples of them?

Manyasone
2018-05-30, 12:17 PM
Anything that qualifies as a spirit is in a sidebar with the spirit shaman class in the complete divine, mate

mcmuffinfluffin
2018-05-30, 01:29 PM
Anything that qualifies as a spirit is in a sidebar with the spirit shaman class in the complete divine, mate

Thank you, but I already understood that. One of the creatures in that sidebar are "Creatures in astral form or with astral bodies (but not a creature physically present on the Astral Plane)".

I have never heard of astral form or bodies before, so I am unsure what creatures this encompasses. I was hoping someone can enlighten me on that specifically.

Hunter Noventa
2018-05-30, 02:17 PM
Thank you, but I already understood that. One of the creatures in that sidebar are "Creatures in astral form or with astral bodies (but not a creature physically present on the Astral Plane)".

I have never heard of astral form or bodies before, so I am unsure what creatures this encompasses. I was hoping someone can enlighten me on that specifically.

That would be somebody using the Astral Projection (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/astralProjection.htm) spell, I believe, as opposed to entering the Astral Plane via Plane Shift or Gate.

So basically it would pretty much only apply if you yourself were on the Astral Plane, in either form, since that the only place you can encounter an Astral Form.

Unless an Astral Body refers to a body formed by entering another plane via Astral Projection and forming one that way. Either way, it's a pretty niche case.

mcmuffinfluffin
2018-05-30, 02:25 PM
That would be somebody using the Astral Projection spell, I believe, as opposed to entering the Astral Plane via Plane Shift or Gate.

So basically it would pretty much only apply if you yourself were on the Astral Plane, in either form, since that the only place you can encounter an Astral Form.

Unless an Astral Body refers to a body formed by entering another plane via Astral Projection and forming one that way. Either way, it's a pretty niche case.

Ah, I see. Have never really gone beyond 12 level so no wonder I have never seen that. It really is specific!

I was hoping for something a little less specific that would come intl play during RHoD. But nonetheless, thank you so much!

ExLibrisMortis
2018-05-30, 03:36 PM
Astral constructs might actually qualify... their bodies are made of ectoplasm drawn from the Astral Plane, which would make them "astral bodies not on the Astral Plane". However, since they are mindless constructs, typically temporary and under total control of their creator, I don't think it'll come up very much.