PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Eldritch Knight Anything Bond

Grear Bylls
2018-05-30, 12:08 PM
Question: if you have Tavern Brawler, anything becomes a weapon (effectively). Weapon Bond from Eldritch Knight let's you Bond a weapon to you. Let's say my "weapon" (from Tavern Brawler) is a sack of potatoes (why not). Can I Bond to my sack of potatoes, thus allowing me to summon potatoes at will?

Zanthy1
2018-05-30, 12:36 PM
Personally I would say you bond to the sack, not necessarily the potatoes within. It is a little strange, but since it is defectively numerous items I do not believe it would work. An example is that you can bond with a ranged weapon like a bow, but you would still need arrows (unless it is the crystal bow from runescape of course)

Grear Bylls
2018-05-30, 01:11 PM
Personally I would say you bond to the sack, not necessarily the potatoes within. It is a little strange, but since it is defectively numerous items I do not believe it would work. An example is that you can bond with a ranged weapon like a bow, but you would still need arrows (unless it is the crystal bow from runescape of course)

That was more of a joking example. A more realistic one might be a Diamond, as it is a weapon for you, so you can have your stock at home, not at risk if the Cleric has to Res someone. Another example might be a bar stool (weapon), to sit on. My point is, does this combo let you summon literally any object you want, as long as you've done the ritual?

jaappleton
2018-05-30, 02:33 PM
Uhm.... RAW? I believe so.

RAI? I don’t think so.

Vogie
2018-05-30, 03:06 PM
That was more of a joking example. A more realistic one might be a Diamond, as it is a weapon for you, so you can have your stock at home, not at risk if the Cleric has to Res someone. Another example might be a bar stool (weapon), to sit on. My point is, does this combo let you summon literally any object you want, as long as you've done the ritual?

I like this idea. You could have a gem-encrusted mace or warhammer, for example, that you can summon, then pry off a diamond for resurrection purposes

You would have to use the bar stool, frying pan, et cetera as an improvised weapon with an attack before it could be considered one - otherwise it's just an object. Right before you start your short rest, throw it at someone (1d4, 20/60), then happily bond away!

Arvin Natsuko
2018-05-30, 04:01 PM
I like this idea. You could have a gem-encrusted mace or warhammer, for example, that you can summon, then pry off a diamond for resurrection purposes

That's an very good idea, and one that seems to function without the Tavern Brawler feat. Any EK can have a cerimonial sword with a diamond attached.

Grear Bylls
2018-05-30, 04:49 PM
"There's a fine line between clever and stupid."

I like to think I err on the side of clever ;)

dreast
2018-05-30, 09:53 PM
Or just sell the highly valuable weapon, walk away and resummon it.

This is an actual con that used to be pulled with specially trained escape-artist horses. But if you don’t mind being a criminal...

(You could even have an accomplice sell it and resummon it if you wanted to dodge the heat!)

Quoxis
2018-05-31, 09:45 AM
As a lvl 2 conjuration wizard can do pretty much the same i doubt it’d break anything.
It’s cheesy, but why not?

AvvyR
2018-05-31, 12:40 PM
This is the same issue the "swinging a crossbow with GWM and SS" thread ran into. "Weapons" are objects on the weapon table. Improvised weapons and natural weapons don't count as "weapons" even if you're proficient with them. It's confusing due to stupid terminology.

If a weapon was "anything you attack with," you wouldn't even need Tavern Brawler to EK bond with literally anything you could touch.

That said, in this case it shouldn't be too broken, so I might allow it on grounds of "Rule of funny"

Grear Bylls
2018-05-31, 04:02 PM
This is the same issue the "swinging a crossbow with GWM and SS" thread ran into. "Weapons" are objects on the weapon table. Improvised weapons and natural weapons don't count as "weapons" even if you're proficient with them. It's confusing due to stupid terminology.

If a weapon was "anything you attack with," you wouldn't even need Tavern Brawler to EK bond with literally anything you could touch.

That said, in this case it shouldn't be too broken, so I might allow it on grounds of "Rule of funny"

I've just been playing lots of characters with the Tavern Brawler feat, and wondering how it works out RAW. Concur completely, but it's dumb enough to make sense.

That last part was too dumb to make sense

Starman973
2018-05-31, 06:03 PM
An Improvised Weapon is not a weapon. Though I like the idea of you bonding to the chair where in the jerk you're about to start a bar fight with is still sitting. then you summon the chair to your hands and surprise attack him with it, and he's prone from falling out of his chair. But Rules as written, Tavern brawler gives you proficiency with improvised weapons. It does not change improvised weapons into weapons.